Breast Feeding in Public

fantasy2000

shadowofman

I believe we do have the right to despite the fact that it's illegal. People with intolerant minds created those laws. I believe it is unAmerican to infringe upon the rights of others.

The babies right to have food is not relevant to this discussion.

SpanksTheMonkey
Well its illegal to have sex in public.

And its not to breastfeed.

I get your point and my last post was to provoke thought.

Lets see how you feel when you have babies of your own.

I did I bottle fed it just worked better for me hes not with us anymore sadly..

Citizen Erased
CE- thank you for expressing your opinion without being judgmental.

You're a sweetie.

:) Thanks. The way I figure it, I've seen more drunks peeing out in public than I do breast feeding mothers. Don't see anybody tapping them on their shoulders and telling them what they're doing is putting people off their tea. :p

People need to get disgusted at far worse people than someone feeding their child. ;)

shadowofman

And then again, there is nothing wrong with peeing pedestrians.

Citizen Erased
And then again, there is nothing wrong with peeing pedestrians.

You're one of them aren't you. :eek:

Sorry to hear about your son spanks. :(

I don't like it, but I just look away and move on. No need to be bitchy about it.

All the power to them for being that comfortable in public. No way I'd be getting my tattas out in front of a bunch of people. :laugh:

Gee thanks, CE. Another of my fantasies, shot in the ass.:D

Spanks, I am really sorry for your loss, and I didn't mean to sound condescending.

I am happy to agree to disagree on this- I agree there is a way that you can BF in public discreetly without it all hanging out.

shadowofman

Heck yeah. I should at least have the rights that animals have. If I pooped on the sidewalk, I would at least scoop it up. Your welcome.

MichelleZB

My position on breastfeeding in public is really simple: Kids get hungry. Don't like it? Don't look.

Breastfeeding in public is not illegal (in most places) so there's nothing you can do. It may offend your delicate sensibilities, but as a PP said, we don't have the right not to be offended. Things I don't like offend me all the time: bubble skirts, rap music, Mormons. Unfortunately for me, I just have to put up with those things because the law doesn't protect my delicate little feelings. It protects people's rights.

I think it's somewhat inappropriate to get your breasts out in public for any reason, and I wouldn't do it myself. Having said that, I do think there should be more facilities for breastfeeding mothers; they shouldn't be expected to feed their babies in the public toilets, and they're often left with no choice but to breastfeed in public. I wish they would be more discreet though - instead of finding a quiet corner, many of them just lob it right out in full view.

My local department store has a "mother and baby" room with comfortable seating, so women can go in there to feed their babies etc; we need more of these facilities.

donnamaybe

I breast fed all three of my kids, in public or not. However, I would no more bare my boobs for all to see with or without a kid attached. I always had a receiving blanket over me. But no way in HELL would my baby wait to eat because some uptight prude was grossed out by the little suckling noises coming out from under that blanket! And I also would NOT leave the room where I happened to be enjoying the same company everyone else was. If people are so on edge about the mere knowledge that some breastfeeding is going on nearby then THEY can leave the room!

donnamaybe
There aren't always facilities for it. I personally have never seen these Mommy and Me rooms you mentioned.

I just don't see how it's disrespectful to people around you. The women I've seen breastfeeding in public have been discreet about it. I find people yelling into their cellphones more disruptive than someone breastfeeding.

Yes and YES!

I have NEVER seen these convenient little rooms everywhere I go either. Check out any restaurant, and if anyone expected me to go to a nasty BATHROOM to feed my baby, they can go take a flyin' F!

I'm kind of surprised a man my age with grown children would take such offense. Oh, well. If your children marry and/or have children of their own, you can look forward to the females breastfeeding your grandchildren in your presence too. Lucky you (and I mean that sincerely) :)

TaraMaiden
People that have a problem with breast feeding in public should have to wear swastikas on there clothes. It is truly an anti freedom attitude.

And just to steer this so far off-topic that we're in another country....A swastika is actually, and always was originally, a Buddhist/Hindu symbol of The Dhamma, or the teachings of the Buddha.

Today the symbol is used in Buddhist art and scripture and represents dharma, universal harmony, and the balance of opposites. One can see swastika on the Pillars of Ashoka where the swastika is a symbol of the cosmic dance around a fixed center and guards against evil.

from here.

Ok, Carry on.....

Op, you need to get over yourself. Female breasts may be a lot of things, but their PRIMARY purpose is simple and well known - to feed offspring. Your society-induced fear of them is trumped by this, I'm afraid. They may have sexuality associated with them, but that is lower on the the list.. not nearly as high of a precedent as feeding babies. A baby's need to eat (yes, at that moment) is more important than your desire not to see a breast.

Seriously if I ever saw some one tell off a breast feeding mom or give them a nasty glare I would want to kick there a$$ and scream at them.

First, I hear it is really healthy for the baby. So every one gives a big damn about the march of dimes and healthy babies but then they give trouble to breast feeding mothers.

Second, its sexist the way people treat the female anotimy.

Finaly and most importantly I actualy don't find it offensive at all. I think a womans breast is beautiful and I love it when a woman completely takes her top off to breast feed her child and you have both breasts just hanging ot even after the woman has stopped feeding.

blind_otter

I spent a lot of time nursing my son in my car with the doors locked because of this type of attitude. :( It was hot.

At first I had no problem, I didn't go out much anyways. I had an incident with a woman who came up to me and lectured me (there was no "mommy and me" room I have never seen one or heard of those), and when I left to go to another part of the mall, she <i>followed me</i> and sat about 20 feet away glaring at me. SO CREEPY!

After that I didn't nurse in public much unless I had my posse with me, or my ex.

donnamaybe
After that I didn't nurse in public much unless I had my posse with me, or my ex.

I wouldn't need a posse. I would have withered that old bee-yotch up but good with a few choice words. The baby wouldn't have understood anyway. :laugh:

I spent a lot of time nursing my son in my car with the doors locked because of this type of attitude. :( It was hot.

At first I had no problem, I didn't go out much anyways. I had an incident with a woman who came up to me and lectured me (there was no "mommy and me" room I have never seen one or heard of those), and when I left to go to another part of the mall, she <i>followed me</i> and sat about 20 feet away glaring at me. SO CREEPY!

If I had witnessed a woman doing this to somebody I would have called her the C word real loud. How dare she make you feel bad for doing something so natural...

They're breasts for Christ's sake, not the Virgin Mary's Vag. They're designed to give little'uns sustenance, not for men folk to oggle (as much as we'd like to think that's what they're for).

They're breasts for Christ's sake, not the Virgin Mary's Vag. They're designed to give little'uns sustenance, not for men folk to oggle (as much as we'd like to think that's what they're for).

actualy they are for men to oggle too

Well, I think mostly because it's a taboo thing in civilized society. In some Native Cultures where women don't wear a whole lot of clothing, breasts are really seen as a non issue, we're the only species the gives a rat's ass about em'. Not that I don't love boobs, I've just saying the only reason why people would find them taboo is because its something so regularly hidden from sight.