Breast Feeding in Public

fantasy2000

blind_otter

Now I'm offended and angry. Thanks a pantsfull, TBF. Great way to go to sleep.

threebyfate
I don't. Attitudes like yours are why I spent my son's infancy nursing inside a locked car.

I just don't see why it's offensive. You can just, you know, look away.

It's no different than a guy scratching his nuts in public. Why not just drop his pants so he can get a better scratch going?

Can't help it if my opinion offends you blind_otter. I don't see you holding back on pushing breast feeding at others which I find offensive.

threebyfate
You think these women do it to push it on everyone as in "I am a mother and I SHOULD be able to have my baby suck mt teet in front of you and you HAVE to accept it?.. Most of the ones I know do it because they are tired and have a fiesty baby that wants eat NOW! lol I don't think they sit here thinking they are proving a point.

I remember as a child my aunts would come over with their infants and they would pretty much do the teet suckle thing together in the house in front of whoever is there.. It was like a freakin Dairy farm in there. I guess I am just accustomed to this type of thing and it doesn't bother me, because I'm around it all the time... even now.

For some it's a statement that women should be able to breast feed in public. For others, it's that they don't care and let it all hang out.

People can do what they want to do but I don't have to like or enable it. I have every right to express my opinion that I find it tasteless, just like they have every right to pull out a teat and milk away.

TBF, by the same token, why do you feel that they shouldn't be able to do what they want? Nobody is saying that you have to do it, are they? I am a believer in "live and let live". If you are offended, look away. Nobody is telling you that you have to look. Your point of view is no more valid than theirs, just because it's yours.;)

threebyfate
TBF, by the same token, why do you feel that they shouldn't be able to do what they want? Nobody is saying that you have to do it, are they? I am a believer in "live and let live". If you are offended, look away. Nobody is telling you that you have to look. Your point of view is no more valid than theirs, just because it's yours.;)
Read what I wrote. They can do whatever the hell they want to do but I don't have to like it or keep my opinions to myself.
blind_otter

Can't help it if my opinion offends you blind_otter. I don't see you holding back on pushing breast feeding at others which I find offensive.

Please. There's no need to push breastfeeding, clearly all research indicates that human milk is meant for human babies, not powdered formula that can be and often is contaminated.

I don't push breastfeeding on anyone - I don't give a flying frick what anyone else feeds THEIR child, I don't particularly care. I just want to be free to feed my child, just like the mother who pops a bottle in her kid's mouth.

Yes, you can help it, you just choose not to because it is your nature to do so.

donnamaybe
It's no different than a guy scratching his nuts in public.

You compare THIS to the beautiful and natural act of breastfeeding a hungry baby? :sick:

Why am I not surprised...

My best mommy friend could literally pump 8-10 oz per session. My boobs just did not respond to the pump at all.

I didn't have any luck pumping either. and I remember when I was late for a feeding due to being out d@mn did my breasts hurt. It was so painful to be all engourged.

For some it's a statement that women should be able to breast feed in public. For others, it's that they don't care and let it all hang out.

People can do what they want to do but I don't have to like or enable it. I have every right to express my opinion that I find it tasteless, just like they have every right to pull out a teat and milk away.

tasteless?! I never heard anyone describe BF as tasteless.

where are the moms supposed to breastfed? in the bathroom? Or should they just let the kid scream until the get to an "appropriate " place. that would probably offend you too.

Why are you so angry and defensive about BF anyways. Your last thread about it turned hostile as you seem to have a hostile attitude towards it.

blind_otter

Why are you so angry and defensive about BF anyways. Your last thread about it turned hostile as you seem to have a hostile attitude towards it.

It's a personal issue, obviously. You don't have to have a degree in psychology to know that, but since I do, it does help.

I just can't believe how some people are soooo narrow-minded about the most natural gesture in the world..

I think the people who get 'shocked' by breastfeeding have some issues about their own breasts.. for some reason.. :o or they have issues with sexuality in general..

I find this very strange.. :confused:

donnamaybe
I just can't believe how some people are soooo narrow-minded about the most natural gesture in the world..

I think the people who get 'shocked' by breastfeeding have some issues about their own breasts.. for some reason.. :o or they have issues with sexuality in general..

I find this very strange.. :confused:

I totally agree. Although I have to say there was one time I was weirded out by a breastfeeding situation. There was this group of women when I was in Germany where my ex was stationed who tried to get me to join them in trading breastfeeding stories and TRADING BABIES TO BREAST FEED. No thanks. How do I know what you've been eating or doing to your body, and then you're going to feed my baby? Nope.

It's a personal issue, obviously. You don't have to have a degree in psychology to know that, but since I do, it does help.

I know it is. But to me there is no reason to be mad that someone chooses to BF and there is no reason to be mad that someone chooses not to.

It just seems like TBF is really defensive about BF. She seems angry.

MAybe it is because she feels pushed to do it and has to defend her postiion that she doesn't want to. but to call BF tasteless IDK it seems over the top.

I totally agree. Although I have to say there was one time I was weirded out by a breastfeeding situation. There was this group of women when I was in Germany where my ex was stationed who tried to get me to join them in trading breastfeeding stories and TRADING BABIES TO BREAST FEED. No thanks. How do I know what you've been eating or doing to your body, and then you're going to feed my baby? Nope.

Back in the day they had wet nurses. Just to do that.

But yes to me that seems weird too. Also when It is an older child. I think around 1 year old the Breast feeding should stop.

blind_otter

MAybe it is because she feels pushed to do it and has to defend her postiion that she doesn't want to. but to call BF tasteless IDK it seems over the top.

It is very odd indeed. But after my experience with the breastfeeding stalker at the mall I'm not surprised. Apparently this is common - fear of breastfeeding is what I call it, because no other emotion can generate such strong feelings...

I don't use formula, but I'm not horribly offended when someone bottle feeds their baby. I do tend to think we don't have anything in common though, and I don't have any mom friends who did not breastfeed - just because the parenting philosophies tend to be vastly different, generally speaking.

blind_otter
Breast feeding stalker? You mean some dude that tried to get a glimpse of you?:rolleyes: He probably wanted to be the one sucking?:sick:

Even I am not that perverted.

No it was a woman. First she came up to me and lectured me about how would I want my husband to see women breastfeeding in public. I said "I wouldn't mind, it's no big deal".

Then she started talking about HER husband getting sexually aroused from watching women BF in public, at which point my friend who was with me said "Sounds like a personal problem."

We left and went to another more private area so I could finish, and the lady followed us and sat 20 feet away glaring at me the entire time. Yuck.

She could have just, you know, said her peace and stayed the hell away from me. :rolleyes: Or she could have just kept her mouth shut and looked the hell away.

She was probably an insecure bit*ch.. fearing her husband would catch a glimse at your breasts... :rolleyes:

my daughter is still breastfeeding her baby. (11 months).. she breastfed her first child also until she decided to stop by herself at around 1...

It's the most natural and beautiful thing to see... :love:

Spark1111

Maybe people who do not have breasts or have breast fed, all men and about 70 percent of women, do not realize that there IS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING SEXUAL about breastfeeding.

When the breasts engorge with milk, it is incredibly painful NOT to feed your baby. The feeling is similiar to a burning, tingling sensation and is extremely uncomfortable until the baby nurses.

Even worse is if, while out in public the baby starts its hunger wail; the breasts can begin to leak milk copiously if the infant is not fed right there and THEN! It is not something a mother can consciously control.

It is a warm, maternal, very primal and loving feeling. The breasts are not sexually aroused during this time. In fact, the thought of trying to arouse via breast stimulation is repulsive or impossible as long as the breasts are filled with milk for most women.

I think those who haven't or can't experience it, continue to view the breasts and the suckling of breasts as very sexual. During breastfeeding, that is not the case.

Yes, I believe out of respect for those who do not understand the basic biology of it, modesty and discretion should be used whenever possible.

But it is not always possible.

Spark1111

Out of respect to the mother and her child, who do not have a much control over this situation as people would believe, try to look away and respect their privacy, wherever they may try to have it.

If it bothers YOU, you are viewing it in a sexual manner. That may be your issue, not their's.

donnamaybe

Like I said before, when there were others besides my hubby or close gal friends around, I always covered up with a receiving blanket. However, my first two children were born in August, and sometimes my poor babies would be positively stifling and sweaty under that thin little blanket! I would lift the top and gently blow down inside to circulate some air in there and/or get the blanket off them as much as possible without my boob hanging out. However, when I see a woman breastfeeding without any modesty at all, I just figure, "To each their own," and don't look at her out of respect for whatever modesty she would like to retain.

I guess it's all about how you view it. What is more important? Your will being shoved down others' throats, or a mother being allowed to feed her baby as she chooses?

sally4sara

Ahh, I don't care if women breast feed in public. I guess I admire that they are more concerned with nutrition and their kid than they are about preserving the tah-tahs for adults.

But I never did it in public, because the last thing I wanted while trying to feed my son was nosy or perverted people, or tweens making "moo" sounds as they walked by. It wasn't a direct choice, just something I never found need to do.

threebyfate
I know it is. But to me there is no reason to be mad that someone chooses to BF and there is no reason to be mad that someone chooses not to.

Angry no, disgusted that people would stoop to the level of pulling out their breasts for the world to experience, yes. Discreet public breast feeding is fine.

IMO, there's an exhibitionist quality with women who expose themselves in public under the pretext of false altruism. It's no different than a relatively socially accepted flasher.