Breast Feeding in Public

fantasy2000

donnamaybe
IMO, there's an exhibitionist quality with women who...

This is also true of women who wear clothes that are sexier than the average gal wears and/or who flirts a lot, but I don't hate them for it, and they don't "disgust" me. As long as they're nice to people, I'm fine with 'em. :)

Example: There is this younger gal who my friends and I see out often. I first met her several years ago. She immediately made an impression of a gal who enjoys feeling and looking desirable. Not slutty, though, at least in my opinion. She flirts a lot, wears sexy clothes, sings karaoke every chance she gets, but is one of THE nicest gals one would ever hope to meet. I've NEVER heard her say a mean word about ANYONE! Once when my friends and I were out, she came to our table with tears in her eyes because some woman she didn't even know told her she looked like a slut; that she thinks she's so great and really isn't. I told her, "Don't worry about women like that. They don't feel good for some reason and they want to drag you down with 'em. Just hang with us." And she did. She brightened up and had a good time the rest of the night with our group.

Is she vivacious, outgoing, flirty, sexy, "on exhibit?" Most likely so. Should she be ostracized for it, as nice a person as she is? Not from me and my friends.

Just don't look at people you don't enjoy looking at. :)

threebyfate

People jump to too many inaccurate conclusions. Not once did I say the people involved disgust me. The act of open public breast-feeding disgusts me. The act of breast-feeding itself disgusts me, open or otherwise, which is why it's not my choice. If other women want to make that choice, they have a right to do so, just like it's my choice not to and my right to openly state that it disgusts me.

tigereyes1428

as a mum who successfully breast fed - i am really shocked by some of the opinions on here i know everyone has their own opinions but all i can say is for the first couple days i sat in another room or did it in private then i soon realised i was in for a lifetime of missing out on company, conversation etc - also my son took 40 mins per breast sometimes - thats a long time to sit in a room alone, its hard to enjoy the experience if your rushing your baby - also the comments about mum and baby rooms - in my experience these are stinking of dirty nappies ,have no windows and are generally inside a loo and as someone else said earlier - would you eat in there????

the biggest prob for me was squirting though - if i became at all engorged or baby had not fed for couple hours, as soon as i removed breast from bra i could shoot across a room with no warning - that was mortifying. i remember one time my dad had fell asleep in chair after sunday lunch and i was feeding baby when baby turned head and slipped off boob my milk squirted straight onto my dads face - he woke up startled but could not work out what happened - needless to say - i did not mention it to him.

donnamaybe
People jump to too many inaccurate conclusions. Not once did I say the people involved disgust me. The act of open public breast-feeding disgusts me.

And you said that was because the woman involved was, in your opinion, only doing it because they wanted to be "on exhibit." Thus, my related story.

The act of breast-feeding itself disgusts me, open or otherwise, which is why it's not my choice.

THIS is, IMO, the REAL problem with why you have such an issue with it. And yes, it is your right to care for YOUR baby as you see fit, just as it is other people's right to do the same with their babies. :)

donnamaybe
he woke up startled but could not work out what happened - needless to say - i did not mention it to him.

Ha ha haaaa! That's funny! :laugh:

shadowofman

Obese people disgust me too, but there is no reason that they should have the freedom to be obese, be naked.

I can't imagine being disgusted by a breast-feeding woman, but what ever sinks your boat.

You have the right to take offense and we should have the right to offend you. (Insert image of Mohammad here)

threebyfate
And you said that was because the woman involved was, in your opinion, only doing it because they wanted to be "on exhibit." Thus, my related story.
That's my opinion, one that has nothing to do with finding a person disgusting v. finding their actions disgusting, including any underlying issues.

THIS is, IMO, the REAL problem with why you have such an issue with it. And yes, it is your right to care for YOUR baby as you see fit, just as it is other people's right to do the same with their babies. :)
I've openly stated that I find breastfeeding disgusting and don't want it shoved into my face, whether it's the lala leche league emotional manipulations or some woman with her teats hanging out infront of me.
shadowofman

Then it is the duty of the rest of us to ignore you and go about our breastly business. Keep telling us how gross we are though. Your input is appreciated.

donnamaybe
Then it is the duty of the rest of us to ignore you and go about our breastly business. Keep telling us how gross we are though. Your input is appreciated.

LMAO!!! :lmao:

donnamaybe
That's my opinion

I think everyone knows your opinion by now. I have my opinions as well. BOY, do I EVER! :laugh:

threebyfate

I think everyone knows your opinion by now. I have my opinions as well. BOY, do I EVER! :laugh:
And here you have it, the true brilliance of overly-sensitive LSers. :rolleyes:
donnamaybe
And here you have it, the true brilliance of overly-sensitive LSers. :rolleyes:

LMFAOROTF!!!!!! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

This from someone who compared breast feeding to a guy scratching his nutsack.

shadowofman

If it were possible, I would be offended. I'm the most insensitive person on this site by far.

DaisyLeigh
It's no different than a guy scratching his nuts in public. Why not just drop his pants so he can get a better scratch going?

Can't help it if my opinion offends you blind_otter. I don't see you holding back on pushing breast feeding at others which I find offensive.

You are comparing a guy scratching his testicles to breastfeeding? Really? Now I have read everything.

shadowofman

I would compare them. Both are completely acceptable social behaviors. There is a need, and an action which is in response to that need.

I have noticed in a number of public settings that women choose to breast feed their babies in plain view. Some are more discreet about this than others. I have seen some women with their breasts exposed and did a double take as I walked past. I don't think it is appropriate to do this. Surely you can find a more discreet place than at a park bench or on a commuter train. If they have more than one child then sometimes they get distracted by the toddler and oops everything is exposed. Come on ladies have some tact.

I see nothing wrong with breast feeding in public. The baby needs to eat. Now, there are plenty of tactful ways to nurse without popping out the girl's for a public show. I did it plenty of times.. but with a blanket covering my ta-ta's.:laugh:

Mea:)

I just can't understand people who see breastfeeding as sexual... there is something extremely wrong with them..

There is something disturbing about that.. like some kind of perverts (or pedophile) issues...

• Author
fantasy2000
I just can't understand people who see breastfeeding as sexual... there is something extremely wrong with them..

There is something disturbing about that.. like some kind of perverts (or pedophile) issues...

Oh please. Breasts are seen as sexual by men. You are making a gross exaggeration equating it to a pervert or a pedophile. What has pedophilia got to do with a man seeing an adult woman's breast as sexual? :mad:

Edited by fantasy2000

Just because someone might not want to see some strangers breast doesn't mean they see breast feedinig as sexual or perverted. Frankly, nursing boobs are not pretty, and people might very well be reacting to it in the same way they would to seeing someone's ass-crack in low rise jeans.

I'm sure many have seen that Sex and the City episode where Miranda is trying to nurse her kid while Carrie is visiting, and Carrie was more than startled by Miranda's enormous breast with the huge nipple.

You may see your daughter's breastfeeding as lovely, but strangers don't all feel that warm glow and may be unprepared for the sight. I remember being a teen and seeing my aunt breast feeding...I was horrified at what her breast looked like.

Personally, I don't care if breast feeding moms do it in public, but I can see how others would recoil.

donnamaybe
Just because someone might not want to see some strangers breast doesn't mean they see breast feedinig as sexual or perverted. Frankly, nursing boobs are not pretty, and people might very well be reacting to it in the same way they would to seeing someone's ass-crack in low rise jeans.

But there are people on this thread who think breastfeeding AT ALL is "disgusting," even if they never see anything showing. :confused:

Let's not be concerned with insignificant stuff like the health of a growing baby or anything. :rolleyes:

Just to chime back in here:

Not once did I feel on display in a good way.

I hated BFing in public places because the last thing I felt was sexy and hot (its nothing like Heather Graham in The Hangover!! :) ), but I did it because it was a better alternative to sitting alone in the car and as TigerEyes said, sometimes it could take up to an hour for the baby to feed.

I am really really looking forward to hearing to see whether any of your attitudes change once baby TBF arrives, TBF. Once that hormonal rollercoaster kicks in it can make you feel things you never dreamed you would feel!

Slightly off topic- B_O, we had our mums and babies group today, and its interesting to see a slight shift and the group has ever so slightly split down the middle now the babies are all starting solids...

Lauriebell82

I didn't read this whole thread, but I do not think it is appropriate to breast feed in public. Not because it is perverted or sexual, but because I believe that is a private thing to do, something that a mother and child share.

I was in a fancy restaurant with my fiance and we saw this woman holding her baby. She then started breast feeding in the middle of dinner! She was also at a table with her whole family, like 6 other people. It just seemed like a very innapropriate setting to sit there and breastfeed.

donnamaybe
I didn't read this whole thread, but I do not think it is appropriate to breast feed in public. Not because it is perverted or sexual, but because I believe that is a private thing to do, something that a mother and child share.

So mom and baby, while still breastfeeding, should hide away in their home and NEVER go anywhere lest the baby get hungry? :confused:

Um. Yeah. Okay. :lmao:

In this day and age, it really is hard to believe that nursing in public is still somewhat of a taboo subject, I think people are blurring the lines and forgetting why we have boobies in the first place-- to feed our babies!! they are not supposed to be sexual objects.. but became so when woman started covering them up.. go figure.

I really cannot relate to anyone being offended by a nursing mother-- we have boobs to feed our babies, and yet we have to hide while doing so? um.. conservative much?

America prides itself on "freedom" and yet a mother cannot feed her baby in public, one of the most natural things ever without people turning their nose up at her doing so?

Ugh.. gets my goat that one.