A weight loss challenge FOR YOU!

Good thank you. I have lost a couple of pounds since last week, so am happy with the progress. I am fitting into clothes much better too.

Still a wee way to go but am glad things are heading in the right direction.

Lauriebell82
Good thank you. I have lost a couple of pounds since last week, so am happy with the progress. I am fitting into clothes much better too.

Still a wee way to go but am glad things are heading in the right direction.

Great! That's awesome!!!

So I weighed myself today and lost a pound. I figured out that I need to cut back on what I'm eating to lose weight because my body has adjusted to my work out routine and diet. I have maintained weight loss (give or take 5ish pounds) since about October so I'm guessing that my body just got used to the weight I was at.

I would like to drop at least 5 more pounds (mostly in my legs) so I'm going to have to cut back I suppose. I don't really want to increase my workout because I find that if I do TOO much then I am not able to do an adequate workout the next day because I am too sore/tired. It's hard though because I am hungry but can't fill myself up to the point where I was doing that before. I am trying to eat a little bit of food here and there so I don't get overly hungry and end up overeating.

You should look at the proportion of carbs to protein you are eating.

I have been eating more protein (lean meat, cottage cheese, nuts, homemade hummus etc) and cutting back on carbs and that seems to help.

Lauriebell82

I have been eating more protein (lean meat, cottage cheese, nuts, homemade hummus etc) and cutting back on carbs and that seems to help.

Yeah, I have been looking at how much I'm actually EATING. The biggest problem I have seen is that I tend to eat sometimes when I'm not actually hungry and I just figure that because I work out it's okay. Yesterday I cut back and only ate when I got hungry and I couldn't believe how much less I ate! I am finally starting to see results, I dropped 2 pounds in the past 5 days! Because I am 5'2 I guess I really don't need that much food to go on!

• Author

I have to try to add lea protein during the day. I get so hungry sometimes and I think it is because I eat no protein until the evening.

I am the same. unfortunatly.

what do you guys typically eat?

• Author

ok maybe you guys can help me.

today I ate 1 6oz container non-fat greek yogurt. 1 hard boiled egg. 2 cups salad with 1/4 of an avacado and 1 artichoke heart. I used the oil on the artichoke heart as a dressing.

so I was uber ubder hungry and ended up getting 1 cup of slippery noodles with tofu. which is probably not good.

I had water all day and a coffee in the am and a skim milk latte with no sweetners in the afternoon.

for dinner I don't know yet. probably salad with chicken.

any suggestions?

Lauriebell82
I have to try to add lea protein during the day. I get so hungry sometimes and I think it is because I eat no protein until the evening.

I am the same. unfortunatly.

what do you guys typically eat?

The problem is that when you feed yourself until you are full when hungry you are basically maintaining your weight because you are eating the same.

I read that you should not starve yourself, but expect to be a little more hungrier then usual. What I do is grab something little the moment I start to feel a little hungry. Then immediately go do something (even if it is to just go for a walk) and get out of the house. I have found that when you get hungry and go to eat then plop down on the couch your brain keeps telling you to eat more because you are still thinking about how hungry you are.

So far today this is what I ate: (a LOT less then usual!)

Breakfast

(around 8:30 am): a bowl of banana nut cheerios with low fat soy milk

a fat free "light and fit" yogurt

cup of coffee with non-dairly creamer and 2 sweet and low

Snack (around 10:30): granny smith apple

Lunch (around 12:45):

sandwhich on whole wheat toast, 1 slice of white american cheese, 1 slice of ham

sugar free pudding

It is now 2:45 pm and I have not eaten anything since lunch. I am about to have a protein shake before I run to the store. I will go work out after that, come home and probably eat dinner (around 6:00). I will then have a snack around 9:00ish, probably a piece of low fat string cheese.

It may not seem like a lot but I have noticed that my body just doesn't need as much food as I thought!

Lauriebell82
ok maybe you guys can help me.

today I ate 1 6oz container non-fat greek yogurt. 1 hard boiled egg. 2 cups salad with 1/4 of an avacado and 1 artichoke heart. I used the oil on the artichoke heart as a dressing.

so I was uber ubder hungry and ended up getting 1 cup of slippery noodles with tofu. which is probably not good.

I had water all day and a coffee in the am and a skim milk latte with no sweetners in the afternoon.

for dinner I don't know yet. probably salad with chicken.

any suggestions?

Noodles are okay, but make sure they are whole grain and in moderation.

Cut out the latte even with skim milk. It's loaded with sugar and carbs even though they try to pass it off as "skinny" because of the skim milk. It's really not.

Stick to one cup of coffee in the am and if you must have one in the afternoon (which I often do) again just stick to one. No sugar, sweetened, anything. Plain coffee, if you need something in it put a little bit of creamer. Get non-dairy, it has less fat in it.

Oil is also loaded with fat and sodium. Stay away from it!!! Use italien dressing. Even though it says it has more sugar/carbs it is still way heathier as long as you don't dump a massive amount on it. A trick I use is to measure out a teaspoon of dressing and put it on the salad. Mix it around real good. You'd be surprised how much you can dump on your salad without even realizing it!

My friend who is my personal trainer and nutrition adviser gave me these tips too

Rice is best (noodles, cakes, crackers) use whenever you can instead of wheat.

Bulk up stews/curries etc with lentils/ beans/ chickpeas for extra protein and to help stretch meat further.

Take a tub of cottage cheese or homemade hummus to work with a pack of rice crackers for snacks.

get organised! If you have healthy snacks prepared and healthy meals pre-planned, you won't be as tempted to make bad choices.

Watch your portion sizes

If you have to eat chocolate eat 70% cocoa

Add a handful of almonds to your cereal for extra protein.

OK here is my average day:

Breakfast:

Poached eggs on wholegrain toast OR homemade muesli with 20 almonds, a couple of spoons of yoghurt plus either a banana or a peach or some piece of fruit.

Small glass of juice

Morning snack:

Rice crackers with either hummus or a homemade spicy white bean dip

or avocado.

or cottage cheese, tomato and sweet chilli sauce.

Coffee with soy milk

Lunch:

Tuna or chicken with either cous cous, rice or quinoa with salad or vegetables.

Or Wholegrain ham or egg sandwich

Afternoon Snack:

See above, or a handful of nuts and some fruit. Sometimes small piece of cheese.

Dinner: one of the following

Fish (fresh or frozen) with salad and homemade potato wedges with greek yoghurt dip

Some kind of chicken or seafood thai or vietnamese curry with rice or rice noodles and vegetables

Grilled lambchops or koftas with cous cous salad and greek yoghurt dip

A ground beef or lamb dish like spaghetti bolognaise or meatballs or lasagne or moussake (all homemade)

Homemade mexican (fajitas etc)

Homemade casseroles with sweet potato mash

Sometimes I have a glass of wine, and I always drink herbal tea in the evening and water or low fat milk through the day. And i do eat chocolate sometimes.

My H and I plan EVERY meal. It sounds really anally retentive, but it works because we are on a budget, and it takes all the guesswork out of our shoppin.

We are real foodies and its nice to say "what shall we eat this week?" and then pick out recipes and shop accordingly.

We hardly ever get takeout, we occasionally eat out and never ever buy convenience food.

Hope this helps!

PS I love plain old balsamic vinegar as a dressing on my salad- yummy and fat free.

You do need SOME fat- good fats like the ones in nuts and avocado and some oils like olive and ricebran oil are actually essential for your nutrition, and help you get that full feeling.

A really low fat diet tends to be higher in carbs and sugars which is why I stay away from proper diet food- I find if I eat it I just get hungrier earlier. Moderation is key.

JustLooking123

Cut out the latte even with skim milk. It's loaded with sugar and carbs even though they try to pass it off as "skinny" because of the skim milk. It's really not.

Stick to one cup of coffee in the am and if you must have one in the afternoon (which I often do) again just stick to one. No sugar, sweetened, anything. Plain coffee, if you need something in it put a little bit of creamer. Get non-dairy, it has less fat in it.

Oil is also loaded with fat and sodium. Stay away from it!!! Use italien dressing. Even though it says it has more sugar/carbs it is still way heathier as long as you don't dump a massive amount on it. A trick I use is to measure out a teaspoon of dressing and put it on the salad. Mix it around real good. You'd be surprised how much you can dump on your salad without even realizing it!

Um, I was going to just read this thread and not post, but there are some major inaccuracies that need to be corrected.

- Lattes contain no sugar unless you order a flavored one, or add your own sugar. They are milk + espresso. They're actually a pretty decent way to get a serving of skim milk, which is quite good for you.

- Non-dairy creamer may have less fat, but who cares? It's all chemicals. Can you even read the ingredients? So bad for your body. If you're so afraid of fat, just use a little splash of skim milk.

- Oil contains no sodium. Fat is not inherently bad. Your body needs it. Especially if it's olive oil or some other healthy vegetable-based fat. It's just calorically dense, so you need to be cautious of the amount you use, because it adds up fast.

Eating real food (i.e. not nondairy creamer, sugar free whatever, or other processed junk) is preferable. "Fat free" or "reduced fat" often just means added sugar, more chemicals, less natural, etc. Eat real food in moderation, your body will thank you.

Lauriebell82
Um, I was going to just read this thread and not post, but there are some major inaccuracies that need to be corrected.

- Lattes contain no sugar unless you order a flavored one, or add your own sugar. They are milk + espresso. They're actually a pretty decent way to get a serving of skim milk, which is quite good for you.

- Non-dairy creamer may have less fat, but who cares? It's all chemicals. Can you even read the ingredients? So bad for your body. If you're so afraid of fat, just use a little splash of skim milk.

- Oil contains no sodium. Fat is not inherently bad. Your body needs it. Especially if it's olive oil or some other healthy vegetable-based fat. It's just calorically dense, so you need to be cautious of the amount you use, because it adds up fast.

Eating real food (i.e. not nondairy creamer, sugar free whatever, or other processed junk) is preferable. "Fat free" or "reduced fat" often just means added sugar, more chemicals, less natural, etc. Eat real food in moderation, your body will thank you.

Okay, nutrition expert.

Anyway, I do what works best for me. I don't make a habit of eating "fat free stuff" only 1 yogurt per day. Regular yogurt has twice the amount of sugar/carbs that's mostly why I eat it not because it's fat free. Actually a lot of fat free food doesn't taste very good to me.

Edited by Lauriebell82
  • Author

My friend who is my personal trainer and nutrition adviser gave me these tips too

Rice is best (noodles, cakes, crackers) use whenever you can instead of wheat.

Bulk up stews/curries etc with lentils/ beans/ chickpeas for extra protein and to help stretch meat further.

Take a tub of cottage cheese or homemade hummus to work with a pack of rice crackers for snacks.

get organised! If you have healthy snacks prepared and healthy meals pre-planned, you won't be as tempted to make bad choices.

Watch your portion sizes

If you have to eat chocolate eat 70% cocoa

Add a handful of almonds to your cereal for extra protein.

OK here is my average day:

Breakfast:

Poached eggs on wholegrain toast OR homemade muesli with 20 almonds, a couple of spoons of yoghurt plus either a banana or a peach or some piece of fruit.

Small glass of juice

Morning snack:

Rice crackers with either hummus or a homemade spicy white bean dip

or avocado.

or cottage cheese, tomato and sweet chilli sauce.

Coffee with soy milk

Lunch:

Tuna or chicken with either cous cous, rice or quinoa with salad or vegetables.

Or Wholegrain ham or egg sandwich

Afternoon Snack:

See above, or a handful of nuts and some fruit. Sometimes small piece of cheese.

Dinner: one of the following

Fish (fresh or frozen) with salad and homemade potato wedges with greek yoghurt dip

Some kind of chicken or seafood thai or vietnamese curry with rice or rice noodles and vegetables

Grilled lambchops or koftas with cous cous salad and greek yoghurt dip

A ground beef or lamb dish like spaghetti bolognaise or meatballs or lasagne or moussake (all homemade)

Homemade mexican (fajitas etc)

Homemade casseroles with sweet potato mash

Sometimes I have a glass of wine, and I always drink herbal tea in the evening and water or low fat milk through the day. And i do eat chocolate sometimes.

My H and I plan EVERY meal. It sounds really anally retentive, but it works because we are on a budget, and it takes all the guesswork out of our shoppin.

We are real foodies and its nice to say "what shall we eat this week?" and then pick out recipes and shop accordingly.

We hardly ever get takeout, we occasionally eat out and never ever buy convenience food.

Hope this helps!

Do you eat white rice or Brown? At the co-op here we have both types of flour, crackers etc...

I do plan meals and lunch and breakfast and make a list, It is so much cheaper that way. I also do all homemade soup etc..sometimes bread and ice cream too.

I eat real food. I don't eat (well rarely) processed food, and no Diet food. I can't stand artifical sweetner.

I think I do need to add more protien to feel sastified. I was trying to cut back to much.

my husband and I are somewhat foodies too. I love cooking and making different dishes.

I recently got into this blog that got me into trouble her recipes are so good but she uses full fat everything. I have no idea how this woman isn't 300lbs but she is a rancher so maybe that it it.

I love greek food too. I would love your cocous salad recipe.

• Author

the chai I get doesn't have sweetner in it. I tis not the mix it is made from the spices. I like to get skim lattes occasionaly because I don't like drinking milk but it is important to get calcium esp for women. I agree with you about processed food.

Lauriebell82
the chai I get doesn't have sweetner in it. I tis not the mix it is made from the spices. I like to get skim lattes occasionaly because I don't like drinking milk but it is important to get calcium esp for women. I agree with you about processed food.

I can't drink skim lattes for some reason. And I'm not talking about sugary ones or ones with sweetener. For some reason they make me gain weight/retain water. I'm not sure why. My body is so weird when it comes to food.

• Author
I can't drink skim lattes for some reason. And I'm not talking about sugary ones or ones with sweetener. For some reason they make me gain weight/retain water. I'm not sure why. My body is so weird when it comes to food.

every one is different. Do you take a multi vitimin with Calcium in it. It is imporant is you don't get all of yoyr dairy in.

Lauriebell82
every one is different. Do you take a multi vitimin with Calcium in it. It is imporant is you don't get all of yoyr dairy in.

I can't take multivitamins with Calcium in it due to my medical condition and prescription meds conflict with it. I do get some dairly/calcium, I usually have cereal in the morning and I do drink soy milk everyday...for some reason it doesn't make me as bloated or water logged as skim milk does.

JustLooking123
Okay, nutrition expert.

Anyway, I do what works best for me. I don't make a habit of eating "fat free stuff" only 1 yogurt per day. Regular yogurt has twice the amount of sugar/carbs that's mostly why I eat it not because it's fat free. Actually a lot of fat free food doesn't taste very good to me.

You posted in an attempt to correct/advise another poster...with erroneous advice. It's okay for you to dispense info (correct or not), but not me?

By the way, plain yogurt (without all the sugar/chemical flavoring/additives) is quite low in carbs/sugar. You can add your own fruit or honey or whatever, without all the artificial sweeteners and chemicals in Light n Fit yogurt. Much yummier and more satisfying, too!

No need to get sarcastic or snippy, we're all here to try and help! So many people have misinformation about nutrition, it bothers me to see it perpetuated given how widespread obesity and unhealthy eating is in our country. So I try to make corrections when I can, based on the studying and reading I've done. If anything I posted is incorrect, please let me know. And of course, what works for one person won't always work for another...goes without saying.

:bunny:

Hotgurl- my weight loss has been really gradual because I know its easier to maintain that long term. I still have at least 10lb to go!

The biggest things I have cut out (or really cut back on) is bread and baking, because I love to bake and that was what was setting me back. (that and wine!)

I love real food too, and I hate skipping meals and I don't have as much time to exercise as much as I would like to, although having a dog helps because she has to be walked every day.

I have found the extra protein thing really helpful and being careful about my portion sizes. ( I used to eat the same serving size as my husband did when I was pregnant, and I don't need to)

LB- I don't actually think your body is naturally meant to be any thinner.

If you are struggling that much to lose a few pounds, your body is obviously hanging on to what it assumes is its ideal weight (which it is, for your height).

Justlooking- I can't stand artificial sweeteners/ diet food/ creamers etc either.

Yuck.

Things need to TASTE real. ( and i add salt to my cooking still too, naughty naughty, but its a flavour enhancer!)

I would much rather eat a smaller portion of a tasty non-modified full fat version.

• Author
Justlooking- I can't stand artificial sweeteners/ diet food/ creamers etc either.

Yuck.

Things need to TASTE real. ( and i add salt to my cooking still too, naughty naughty, but its a flavour enhancer!)

I would much rather eat a smaller portion of a tasty non-modified full fat version.

I agree. Salt isn't bad if used in moderation. My family has low blood pressure my husbands is super low so sometimes we get salt craving.

I hate artificial sweetners always have and it is good since it turns out they trigger migraines in me.

Have you checked out Pioneer Woman Cooks blog. She only uses whole ingrediants but although her recipes are seriously delicious they are only once in a while food.

Lauriebell82
No need to get sarcastic or snippy, we're all here to try and help! So many people have misinformation about nutrition, it bothers me to see it perpetuated given how widespread obesity and unhealthy eating is in our country. So I try to make corrections when I can, based on the studying and reading I've done. If anything I posted is incorrect, please let me know. And of course, what works for one person won't always work for another...goes without saying.

:bunny:

I'm sorry about that, I shouldn't have snapped at you. I guess I'm sensitive about the subject. I know you are trying to help though. :)

Anyway, I suppose I am going on what I think about it, what works for one person won't work for another. I actually tried greek yogurt and it was pretty good! It's just real expensive unfortunately...:(

Lauriebell82

LB- I don't actually think your body is naturally meant to be any thinner.

If you are struggling that much to lose a few pounds, your body is obviously hanging on to what it assumes is its ideal weight (which it is, for your height).

Yeah, I've been starting to think the same thing. I think I did drop a little bit (like 2 pounds) but that shows pretty well on me since I'm so petite. I think the problem is I am trying to get rid of my boobs and hips and that is just not going to happen. When I turn to the side my stomach is flat as a board..but then when I turn to the front I don't look like that, I look wider. People thinking "wow she's curvy" doesn't have the same ring to it as "wow she's thin." I think I'm mistaking hips/curves for fat when it really isn't there. I'm built like an hourglass, thin up top, wider as you go down my body, back in again.

I guess I just don't know how to fight that feeling..it's like I can't accept it. :( I wonder why other girls who are 5'2 weigh like 110 lbs.

Edited by Lauriebell82