A weight loss challenge FOR YOU!

harmfulsweetz

I'm biting. This is a great thread, it should help us all stay accountable

I need to lose around 20 pounds. I'm joining a gym tomorrow, and really cutting back on food.

I hope to get to the gym everyday where possible, and buy some good workout dvds for when I can't. Any good tips? Good dvds to try for fast and effective weight loss?

How long approximately should 20 pounds of weight loss take? I'm hoping to have lost it by the end of june at the latest!

Lauriebell82

I need to lose around 20 pounds. I'm joining a gym tomorrow, and really cutting back on food.

I hope to get to the gym everyday where possible, and buy some good workout dvds for when I can't. Any good tips? Good dvds to try for fast and effective weight loss?

How long approximately should 20 pounds of weight loss take? I'm hoping to have lost it by the end of june at the latest!

Workout dvds haven't worked that well for me. Mainly because I get distracted when I try to work out at home. I prefer to go to a gym.

That being said, different stuff works for different people. Moderate impact aroebics dvds are the best for losing weight. I recommend going to the gym though. Do you like running? That is the best way to lose weight. Start out slow and work your way up. Also begin weight training. That will also really help.

The end of June sounds like a good goal. You don't want to go on a crash diet and lose it too fast. You will risk gaining it all back very quickly. You are supposed to lose 2 pounds a week so the end of June sounds just about right.

Nice to have you with us!!!! :)

If you are truly overweight, then 20 lbs is fairly easy. However, if this is the last 20 lbs (says you are 5'2 - 140 lbs and want to get down to 120 lbs), I think 3 months is quite ambitious (2 lbs per week). From what I've seen, typically when you start exercising, the weight doesn't come off until months later, not until you are up your metabolism and the fat replaced by muscles.

There is some crash diet (aka Yo Yo diet) which probably can accomplish this, but you will make your body in the starvation mode and the minute you eat normally, the weight will be back.

I don't do this often anymore but I post a few youtube videos for Abs (from sparkpeople.com) and these are my fave DVD:

Jillian Michaels 30 day shred

Jillian Michaels No More Trouble Zone

Jillian Michaels Banish Fat Boost Metabolism

Rodney Yee - Power Yoga Workout

I tried others like Billy Blank's tae bo, I don't really like it and it doesn't do anything to my body. Jillian's is good because it will push your heart rate to the max (but be sure you ease slowly into this).

Another great one is P90 or P90X. I don't take this since I already take crossfit program which is similar. Perhaps, after Jillian and your body gets used to it, might want to look into this program as well.

Haha. I'm 5'5 - 5'6. I used to be fit and I don't know what happened ... I have love handles! I had the V shape before this and now it's all gone. I want that back!

I am at the university right now, and it's almost lunch time. I'm thinking I should hit the gym for an hour but I have a lot to do, need to see my professor after lunch so I will have to do my work out later. I WILL DO IT! I HAVE TO! :mad:

It'll be jump ropes till I bleed ... I mean, sweat then sit ups from the vid you posted, cuppa. My sister is ordering some stuff from Amazon so I will get her to order the videos for me too :bunny:

I'm a procrastinator :o ... I need to buck up! Haha.

Will let you know when I have the photo of before and later on, the after.

Speaking of jump robes, I did 500 of them yesterday (in 5 reps) and 5 * 10 deadlift with 103 lbs! I was quite proud that I could handle 103# and quite frankly was a bit happy/flattered when my instructor said I should lift heavier and the same with most girls in my class (who are bigger & stronger) because I have a good technique (the Squat).

I am supposed to practice double under and just order a jump robe at amazon for $7. So my goal now is to be able to do double under in 2 months *crossed fingers*

I am sure my abs will get even firmer from this so I will post my update in a few weeks and I hope you do the same :). Good luck to us!

I want to lose 10 lbs. to start and take it from there. I have switched over to a mostly macrobiotic diet, due to food allergy issues, I make sure to get all the protein I need and feel great. I'm "signed up for bikram yoga." This just may be the thing to get me to that class I'm already paying for, some accountability.

Well, I've lost 7 lbs. So almost there. I'm loving the yoga and am walking my dog for about an hour and a half a day as well.

Mabe we'll make it 15 lbs. instead.

• Author

So today is my weigh in day and I gained 1lb :mad:

but I am still down 4lbs. I think I know what I did. the week I lost 2.5 lbs I was eating a lot of lentils and felt pretty full. this week I had almost no portein so by dinner I was starved.

Ok, I bite the bullet and weighed myself this morning and I gained 2.5 lbs! :o

Anyways, I still see my body transform though and my jeans is looser. My best friend who did the same, she said she didn't see the weight come off until 6 months into her training while she continues losing inches (and I'm entering my 5th month right now).

Well, I think I won't weigh myself for a while now :). I will just keep doing what I'm doing and perhaps report back in 2 months to see if the weigh will finally drop 2 months from now.

Leia, I got my jump robe. Though I gain weight, I think my abs is getting tighter and I can even see the difference compared to a week ago. Here is the pic I took just now:

picture.php?albumid=474&pictureid=2554

harmfulsweetz
Ok, I bite the bullet and weighed myself this morning and I gained 2.5 lbs! :o

Anyways, I still see my body transform though and my jeans is looser. My best friend who did the same, she said she didn't see the weight come off until 6 months into her training while she continues losing inches (and I'm entering my 5th month right now).

Well, I think I won't weigh myself for a while now :). I will just keep doing what I'm doing and perhaps report back in 2 months to see if the weigh will finally drop 2 months from now.

Leia, I got my jump robe. Though I gain weight, I think my abs is getting tighter and I can even see the difference compared to a week ago. Here is the pic I took just now:

picture.php?albumid=474&pictureid=2554

Wow! I wish I had a stomach like that! Go you!

I got my Jillian Michael's 30 day shred dvd yesterday, started it today as was busy yesterday and well, I'm loving it so far. After 20 minutes, I feel like I've had a proper workout. I intend on using it everyday until I lose the weight I want to lose. I'm going to alternate between the levels, I was thinking the best way for me is to stay on levels 1 and 2 during the week because I work and really don't want to wear myself out before it too much, and go to level 3 from friday through to sunday. I'm eating loads better too, I'm having more fruit, and consuming more water than I did before. I'm hoping this helps! x

LB, spin is supposed to be low impact because you are on a bike rather than jumping up and down on the ground. Its good for your joints- I have hip issues and have always been advised that spin class is a good cardio alternative to step aerobics etc.

I have about 15lb of pregnancy weight to lose- I am actually pretty pleased with my progress even though its been slower than I had hoped. I guess if its slow it will be easier to maintain.

I am still nursing and I have BIG boobs, but my shape is returning to how it was, I have more curves, tone and definition and my waist is shrinking which is good.

Hotgurl- I agree re: wine- its so hard to resist having a glass with dinner, and thats been my downfall to my progress I think. I am now cutting out alcohol and upping my protein as well to feel fuller and resist high carb snacks when I get hungry. (I have never felt hunger like this I am sure its the nursing)

I have been doing lots of hill walking, walking with the stroller, cycling, Pump class, and Zumba (which is so much fun). Also have a home exercise programme with a medicine ball which is good.

Am determined to get back into those jeans- not too far away i hope!!!

Lauriebell82
LB, spin is supposed to be low impact because you are on a bike rather than jumping up and down on the ground. Its good for your joints- I have hip issues and have always been advised that spin class is a good cardio alternative to step aerobics etc.

The spin class I took was definately NOT low impact. It was exausting. We had to stand up on the bike and pedal which made me dizzy and sick. It's supposed to give you the same effect as if you were riding outside. It scared the heck out of me that I got dizzy! Maybe some spin classes are less impact but the ones at my gym are not at all!

I think we are talking about impact in a different way.

My spin classes do that too

Its my understanding that high IMPACT is something that involves weight bearing exercise that has an impact on your joints.

Aerobics, tennis, squash, running, weight training etc etc.

Low impact exercise are things like cycling and swimming where you are not totally weight bearing.

All exercises can be high or low INTENSITY- ie where your heart rate increases significantly. I think you meant intensity when you were talking about spin classes.

thats why they are so effective!

Lauriebell82
I think we are talking about impact in a different way.

My spin classes do that too

Its my understanding that high IMPACT is something that involves weight bearing exercise that has an impact on your joints.

Aerobics, tennis, squash, running, weight training etc etc.

Low impact exercise are things like cycling and swimming where you are not totally weight bearing.

All exercises can be high or low INTENSITY- ie where your heart rate increases significantly. I think you meant intensity when you were talking about spin classes.

thats why they are so effective!

Ohh, yeah I meant high intensity.

If you have a snack before you exercise you shouldn't get dizzy- doing those spin classes helped me lose weight really effectively before my wedding.

Wow! I wish I had a stomach like that! Go you!

I got my Jillian Michael's 30 day shred dvd yesterday, started it today as was busy yesterday and well, I'm loving it so far. After 20 minutes, I feel like I've had a proper workout. I intend on using it everyday until I lose the weight I want to lose. I'm going to alternate between the levels, I was thinking the best way for me is to stay on levels 1 and 2 during the week because I work and really don't want to wear myself out before it too much, and go to level 3 from friday through to sunday. I'm eating loads better too, I'm having more fruit, and consuming more water than I did before. I'm hoping this helps! x

Yep, it will help tremendously. I guarantee it. Jillian is great because you will get stronger (more muscles!) and I usually add extra cardio here & there too (like running or jump robes) to burn a bit more calories. Or sometimes I do level 2 and level 3 together (or do banish fat boost metabolism - which is 45 mins long and burns 500 cals instead of 180 cals on shred one).

I know why I gained weight last week though. It's not because I packed in 10,000 extra calories in a week (3500 cal = 1 lbs of fat) but it's because I ate high sodium meals all last week (due to eating out with friends) and load a lot of carbs at night hence it retains all the water.

Once I start eating clean (fiber, fruits, vegetables, lean chicken, fish) and drink lots of waters, weight drops really fast. I will eat clean next week and go back to my 6 meals a day (instead of a big dinner no breakfast as I did for the past 5 days).

If you have a snack before you exercise you shouldn't get dizzy- doing those spin classes helped me lose weight really effectively before my wedding.

I can see that spin class is a really great cardio. To me, it depends on the instructor. Some instructors are great that one hour in a bike passes by really quickly.

I love high intensity but I think spin class is not for everyone. It's true that we can lower the instensity (less climbing etc) but I know some people who are just not into biking/spinning even though they are very active in other things.

I'll say another great cardio is zumba....and it's a lot more fun for some people. A high intensity Zumba can burn up to 700 cals in an hour. It's much better than say treadmill or other gym machines.

harmfulsweetz
Yep, it will help tremendously. I guarantee it. Jillian is great because you will get stronger (more muscles!) and I usually add extra cardio here & there too (like running or jump robes) to burn a bit more calories. Or sometimes I do level 2 and level 3 together (or do banish fat boost metabolism - which is 45 mins long and burns 500 cals instead of 180 cals on shred one).

I know why I gained weight last week though. It's not because I packed in 10,000 extra calories in a week (3500 cal = 1 lbs of fat) but it's because I ate high sodium meals all last week (due to eating out with friends) and load a lot of carbs at night hence it retains all the water.

Once I start eating clean (fiber, fruits, vegetables, lean chicken, fish) and drink lots of waters, weight drops really fast. I will eat clean next week and go back to my 6 meals a day (instead of a big dinner no breakfast as I did for the past 5 days).

:)

I'm on day 2! I did level one today, I don't want to jump straight in over my head because I know I will just quit, so easing myself in. Loved it again, really feeling it in my muscles (I sound like a total wimp) but I think it's a good sign to wake up feeling the ache, and still go ahead and do it all again. I'm increasing my water intake, cutting fizzy pop from my diet entirely and eating lots of protein i.e. fish and things, so hopefully, I'll start to see a difference!

Does 6 meals a day work? I've always wanted to try that, because I snack terribly.

• Author

I stayed the same this week. So still total lose of 4 lbs.

I was so sick and eating simple carbs and stuff to make my throat feel better. I am just happy to not haved gained.

Next week I will lose weight.

Lauriebell82

Grrrr, the scale stayed the same. I SWEAR I look thinner though, there is no way that I didn't lose some fat/inches. I've been working my butt off at the gym also, running a lot and lifting several times a week. I wish the scale would go down!!! It's frustrating.

Lauriebell82
:) Does 6 meals a day work? I've always wanted to try that, because I snack terribly.

Yes it does. The idea is that you eat a little bit at a time to keep up your energy and keep yourself from getting so starving that you overeat.

Grrrr, the scale stayed the same. I SWEAR I look thinner though, there is no way that I didn't lose some fat/inches. I've been working my butt off at the gym also, running a lot and lifting several times a week. I wish the scale would go down!!! It's frustrating.

Scales are evil, they are no refection of realty, and encourage bad behavior.

Scales are my companion. They tell me if I'm going to have a good day, or a bad day. :(

LOL. Never mind.

Scales are my companion. They tell me if I'm going to have a good day, or a bad day. :( .

Snap!

Although now I am more reliant on my tape measure, as thats a better indication to me right now.

I am definitely getting leaner through the legs and upper body, and my waist is shrinking too, its just those damn lovehandles that are being a little stubborn!

I think its going to take until I stop nursing my daughter to really shift them, and that will make it easier for me to up my cardio intensity because these big hooters aren't made for running or jumping!

Am loving Zumba.

I have upped my protein intake and lowered my carbs and have noticed a HUGE difference in my hunger/ energy levels. Not having such a low at 4pm and craving chocolate anymore which is great.

Eating homemade hummus and cottage cheese with my morning and afternoon rice cracker snack, and add almonds to my cereal in the morning.

Lauriebell82

Scales are annoying..I can't freaking lose pounds! I know that muscle weighs more then fat and I can tell that I am leaner but I don't know what I have to do to actually lose the POUNDS. GRRRRRR!!!!!!!