Who are the apha-men?

Island Girl
IG I understand facts' date=' thanks. ;) [/quote']

Great!!

Would it also be a fact that your husband is a considerate man' date=' and an independent thinker who is engaging when it comes to how you relate to him intellectually? [/quote']

Absolutely. And he is by far the most intelligent man I have ever met or known of when it comes to all types of interpersonal relationships.

I only ask that because those are also very strong qualities you would think a so called "alpha" would posses' date=' yet your choice in "facts" was how he is perceived socially by others in particular his level of desire to other women. [/quote']

But those aren't qualities you can see across a room, are they?

Just like you can't see his sense of humor, etc.

What you can see is his physical presence (probably has a lot to do with the women actually) and how he carries himself.

When we were dating and went out strangers would come over and try to strike up conversations, women would walk up to him often when he went to the bar to get our drinks, etc.

It just is what it is.

It appears that his social appeal would be at the top of your list for qualities that you feel are "alphalike" so it is natural for me to conclude that those are at the forefront of your thoughts in terms of how you see him.

Social qualities have everything to do with being an Alpha because it is those qualities that are demonstrated outwardly - along with intelligence, sense of humor, etc.

There is a lot that people would see in my husband if they watched him but then after meeting him it is the other things you speak of that keep those people around.

The list of descriptors I asked you about is how I would describe my man' date=' how others relate to him is not at the top of my list though I could easily say the exact same things about my guy. But if I am brutally honesty I never stopped to wonder if "all women want to date him" nor do I care to know that. [b']I [/b]want to date him. YUM! :love:

Of course he has all of those other traits that make him phenomenal but, as previously stated, one can't see those things outwardly by pure observation.

So it really starts at the most basic level. Carriage, confidence, ease with himself, etc. I think that is why the people talk to him and are drawn to him.

I don't wonder if "all women want to date him". Unfortunately I have seen them in action (it generally makes me sad for them :().

And then you have the others that wouldn't see him as their type at all and they behave normally.

An alpha male doesn't wonder if he is alpha or alpha enough.

He certainly doesn't read books or go to sites so he can assure himself that he is an alpha enough alpha male.

Lol!! So very, very true ;)

It would appear there is an equation to mentally stimulating men who want and give a mental challenge to the likes of men who are doctors' date=' executive, lawyers etc..."alphamales or dominants" as you had previously introduced. When you said it hinged on whether you like dominant men who like to be challenged. [/quote']

Not necessarily. The man I was talking about on the camping trip is a manual worker. A practically minded guy who gets stuff done, who might not be an academic but who nevertheless has the knack of being a raconteur who creates a positive buzz around him and makes people laugh. Which is part of what will set a man like that apart. The challenge, with a man like that, might simply involve giving as good as you get in banter. And by banter, I mean the good humoured, uplifting kind - not tediously negative one-upmanship.

I disagreed with you that dominant men are necessarily unreasonable people who must take charge at all costs. You then raised the example of doctors, executives and lawyers. Here...

Ever try to get a doctor an executive or a lawyer to stop and smell the roses? I have dated all' date=' let me tell you it is no an easy task.[/quote']

I conceded that it might be a task that some women find more difficult than others. Some women enjoy the kind of conversations that the men you're referring to enjoy. TBF concurred that she enjoys her fiance's conversation, which is how this happened:

Then the example of the lawyer boyfriend loving to give mental challenges comes up.

I think enjoying a mental challenge, or an intellectually stimulating conversation which is essentially what it is, has less to do with dominance and it is more intrinsically what men are like regardless of how socially dominant they are or what their overachieving careers are. A computer geek who is shy and demure is just as up for a good mental challenge if not moreso than the corporate executive who sits prosed up at the hipster bar in his pin striped suit and martini in hand.

Again, nobody said that only lawyers or executives are capable of good conversation.

In fact, the latter is just looking for an opportunity to outshine a woman who will try to step on his alpha tail

Why wouldn't he? Why wouldn't a guy who's in the bar enjoying a drink decide to take a couple of verbal swipes at a woman who's trying to step on his alpha tail, as you put it? Or should he just submissively take crap from any random woman in the bar who feels like dishing it out, in some futile attempt to disprove her preconceptions about him?

I like to cut through the bullsht I guess you can say....;)

You present far more bullsh*t than you cut through. And that's probably why you get cut down by the kind of men you're talking about.

Could you please explain me who the alpha-men are?

What are their characterictics?

Women, do you have any experiences of dating them?

Do you like them and dating them?

Men, does anyone consider yourself to be an alpha men?

Men, what do you think about them?

Alpha Dogs dominate a social setting by grace of some visible attribute--whether intelligence, looks, wit, competencies. Think setting-specific social charisma.

Very few men are alpha in all settings. I'm not alpha in a dance club but place me in a courtroom at oral argument and all bets are off. Also, depending on our partner's needs, some can be alpha in bed.

The trick for any good alpha is not to try too hard. Modulate. Also, never whine about women:One sounds so beta. :)

Alpha Dogs dominate a social setting by grace of some visible attribute--whether intelligence, looks, wit, competencies. Think setting-specific social charisma.

Agreed. People are impressive when they're doing what they're good at, and I think that's possibly why nightclubs and bars aren't the greatest place courting grounds. Often the only talents that win out in those venues involve having a loud voice or a readiness to shove through crowds and get served before anyone else.

Surfer Dude
Agreed. People are impressive when they're doing what they're good at, and I think that's possibly why nightclubs and bars aren't the greatest place courting grounds. Often the only talents that win out in those venues involve having a loud voice or a readiness to shove through crowds and get served before anyone else.

In venues such as bars and clubs, guys with good social skills are the ones who perform the best. Those skills can be learned though, most of us aren't that lucky to be born with them.

Alpha is a relative term. A good construction worker is alpha in what he does. A great software developer is alpha at programming.

But we're talking about social alphas, leaders of groups and women. And all it takes to be such a guy is experience, optimistic, nonjudgmental and positive mind and some effort. Very few guys are natural at doing that.

In venues such as bars and clubs, guys with good social skills are the ones who perform the best. Those skills can be learned though, most of us aren't that lucky to be born with them.

Maybe. I've been lucky enough to be part of a group of women who were approached by a group of men who clearly didn't know eachother all that well, and were evidently on a social skill/PUA course together. I seldom get much of a buzz around guys who are doing the chat up thing in bars, and I think a lot of that has to do with my awareness of many men consciously practising out their social skills on women in clubs/bars - even if they're not all that interested in said women. I did meet a guy a few months back who I suspected had read The Game, (which is, let's face it, a very interesting read), but he also seemed to have a naturally exuberant personality. It was that, rather than any of the ploys he may or may not have been using, that drew me in.

Honestly, that PUA community thing, "The Game" is probably making things more difficult for men in bars now. So many women are aware of it, and it's hard to build up any sense of chemistry with a man when you're being constantly distracted by any signs that he's using pop-psychology ploys in an attempt to seduce or manipulate you. I have to, of course, take a bit of responsibility for reading up on all that stuff myself. It probably makes me feel more wary of men in bars.....but then, I've never tended to find those venues bring out the things I like best about other people.

The buzz is, for me, far more likely to occur outside of bars in settings where they're demonstrating physical strength, fitness, artistic, musical or practical skills rather than simply being patter merchants who are consumed with the business of trying to get laid by as many women as possible. In that more natural setting, people just seem more genuine. Not to mention often a lot more fun and interesting.

But we're talking about social alphas, leaders of groups and women. And all it takes to be such a guy is experience, optimistic, nonjudgmental and positive mind and some effort. Very few guys are natural at doing that.

I think those traits will often come out in a man when he's doing what he enjoys doing and is naturally good at....as opposed to allowing himself to be persuaded that in order to be an alphamale, he must be good at circulating himself around a bar and applying various techniques on the women he talks to.

Island Girl
I think those traits will often come out in a man when he's doing what he enjoys doing and is naturally good at....as opposed to allowing himself to be persuaded that in order to be an alphamale, he must be good at circulating himself around a bar and applying various techniques on the women he talks to.

PUAs and the like aren't Alphas.

They are the guys who never having girlfriends and are always being friendzoned due to lack of self confidence etc.) who buy in to the philosophy of being a PUA which doesn't work on most women.

It works on a select group of women and NEVER leads to a relationship just easy sex.

That putz "Mystery" has been selling this stuff for a few years but has also admitted his tactics have never led to having a meaningful relationship and has attempted suicide because of it.

An Alpha would never need such tricks and set ups nor would they buy into that philosophy.

To them they are just themselves and that works quite well - in fact better.

PUAs and the like aren't Alphas.

They are the guys who never having girlfriends and are always being friendzoned due to lack of self confidence etc.) who buy in to the philosophy of being a PUA which doesn't work on most women.

I know. These are the same guys who would yawn in your face and declare "pretentious bullsh*t" if you attempted to talk about a particular psychological theory with them. Yet when someone cherry-picks some of the juicier bits of those theories, dumbs them down and packages them up as a ground-breaking new philosophy, their heads spin round exorcist-style at the miraculous fabulousness of it all.

I feel like I felt when I went whitewater rafting. We got stuck in amongst some rocks in shallow water. I decided that instead of rowing like idiots it might be a better idea to just get out and pull the boat. So I did (not with much success). The a guy got out and joined me in pulling it. Suddenly there were cries of "excellent thinking, mate. Well done."

What the f*cking, f*ckity f*ckness?

Island Girl
I know. These are the same guys who would yawn in your face and declare "pretentious bullsh*t" if you attempted to talk about a particular psychological theory with them. Yet when someone cherry-picks some of the juicier bits of those theories, dumbs them down and packages them up as a ground-breaking new philosophy, their heads spin round exorcist-style at the miraculous fabulousness of it all.

I feel like I felt when I went whitewater rafting. We got stuck in amongst some rocks in shallow water. I decided that instead of rowing like idiots it might be a better idea to just get out and pull the boat. So I did (not with much success). The a guy got out and joined me in pulling it. Suddenly there were cries of "excellent thinking, mate. Well done."

I KNOW!!! I see these guys who obviously got the ebook trying their "moves" (whatever stupid terms that have for them) and when they don't work because they are talking to a girl with healthy self esteem and no daddy issues, etc. they just can't figure out why it isn't working.

Ugh. They should go to clubs and bars ONLY and pull this crap. Not grocery stores and health clubs. :laugh:

That last line is Laugh Out Loud funny!!!!

F*cking, F*ckity, F*ckness!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE IT!

The PUA Game seems so artificial, forced, belabored and studied. It has an infomercial feel to it: "How to get laid in 10 easy steps for $19.99. Call now. Operators are waiting."

Being scripted isn't very attractive. The whole PUA thing appears to be a last resort for very desperate beta males.

Island Girl
The PUA Game seems so artificial, forced, belabored and studied. It has an infomercial feel to it: "How to get laid in 10 easy steps for $19.99. Call now. Operators are waiting."

Being scripted isn't very attractive. The whole PUA thing appears to be a last resort for very desperate beta males.

I'd go one step further and say these are Omega males grogster. Desperate and needy looking for that magic weapon to get chicks for sex since that is what they have been obsessed with for years.

• Author

From what I understand there are many characteristics of an alpha man.

I wonder what is the one which is the most essential to be an alpha man.

I am thinking between high self-confidence and an ability to get laid a lot.

I do not think that money, intelligence or social status have smth to do with being alpha directly because many people, who have it all, still insecure and can not get laid.

I am thinking between high self-confidence and an ability to get laid a lot.

So, what of alpha's who are married? ;)

GorillaTheater
From what I understand there are many characteristics of an alpha man.

I wonder what is the one which is the most essential to be an alpha man.

For me, it's the strength of character and sense of utter hair-and-sperm engorged maleness that enables me to feel comfortable having a princess sparkle pony for an avatar.

Besides, it makes me feel pretty.

carhill, don't you know that real Alpha's don't get (or stay) married.

Nuptials are so beta.

murguia1943

If you need to be dominated or led then you need an alpha male. If instead you are a feminist who successfully manages your life an alpha male partner is a disaster.

Avoid males who overshadow you and dominate the relationship as if they are your king. Also avoid the court jester. Men come in a range of colors, sizes, looks, shapes, intelligence and personalities. In selecting a male for a relationship you need to assess the prospects based on your goals and what you can obtain. Your first goal should be a relationship with someone who carries their own weight financially and if possible one who carries considerable financial weight. There is nothing wrong with a well to do partner as long as their wealth does not dominate you.

Money and earning capacity of your mate is essential for a happy marriage. Also essential is their suitability for children. You might as well fall in love with one with good genes to pass on to your children. Check out the family history to ensure there are no heredity problems. Remember marriage is all about children.

Attractiveness and sex appeal are important. These are personal preferences. Select one which meets your criteria. Avoid a loser in appearance. It is hard to look regal next to an obvious loser.

Avoid the Alpha Male and the artist types, except for sex dates. Both tend to be self centered, sexist, and in need to control. While they can be great bread winners you will only get the crumbs. In bed an alpha male can start with the action you desire but once he ejaculates he rolls off without a second thought of you to sleep. You end up listening to him snore in frustration of what could have been.

It is better to select a Beta Male for a mate. These are natural followers who are open to suggestion and most importantly glad a woman is leading, not them. Keep your choices to those who don’t smoke or have other nasty vices. You are not seeking a patient, you are seeking a mate. Select one who you find physically attractive. If physical attraction is not there you will never enjoy sex. Do not, however, be bowled over by looks. He simply has to be appealing. Avoid the overly hairy, over weight and those with an odor that turns you off. Also avoid those with mental hang-ups moving from one crisis to another, the spendthrift financial loser who has to spend money to be happy and philanders who fall in love with a new woman every week.

The real alpha male is the Most interesting man in the world. He speaks russion in french, if he were abducted by aliens they would ask him to anal probe them, which ever side of the track he is on is the right side, he is the alpha male.

Now where is my Dos XX.

• Author

If he is an alpha who is married, he would cheat on his wife all the time???

You'reasian
If you need to be dominated or led then you need an alpha male. If instead you are a feminist who successfully manages your life an alpha male partner is a disaster.

Avoid males who overshadow you and dominate the relationship as if they are your king. Also avoid the court jester. Men come in a range of colors, sizes, looks, shapes, intelligence and personalities. In selecting a male for a relationship you need to assess the prospects based on your goals and what you can obtain. Your first goal should be a relationship with someone who carries their own weight financially and if possible one who carries considerable financial weight. There is nothing wrong with a well to do partner as long as their wealth does not dominate you.

Money and earning capacity of your mate is essential for a happy marriage. Also essential is their suitability for children. You might as well fall in love with one with good genes to pass on to your children. Check out the family history to ensure there are no heredity problems. Remember marriage is all about children.

Attractiveness and sex appeal are important. These are personal preferences. Select one which meets your criteria. Avoid a loser in appearance. It is hard to look regal next to an obvious loser.

Avoid the Alpha Male and the artist types, except for sex dates. Both tend to be self centered, sexist, and in need to control. While they can be great bread winners you will only get the crumbs. In bed an alpha male can start with the action you desire but once he ejaculates he rolls off without a second thought of you to sleep. You end up listening to him snore in frustration of what could have been.

It is better to select a Beta Male for a mate. These are natural followers who are open to suggestion and most importantly glad a woman is leading, not them. Keep your choices to those who don’t smoke or have other nasty vices. You are not seeking a patient, you are seeking a mate. Select one who you find physically attractive. If physical attraction is not there you will never enjoy sex. Do not, however, be bowled over by looks. He simply has to be appealing. Avoid the overly hairy, over weight and those with an odor that turns you off. Also avoid those with mental hang-ups moving from one crisis to another, the spendthrift financial loser who has to spend money to be happy and philanders who fall in love with a new woman every week.

Interesting point of view.

Once you've settled in with your Beta Male, don't you get bored?

We guys are allowed to date who we want, whenever we want until we decide to settle or commit.

Many men will persuit an attractive, intelligent and capable female - but she will ultimately persuit the man that she is interested in, usually that's the Alpha Male ;)

Very thoughtful and wise post, murguia. You've made the case that if you want sex go alpha, but if you want marriage, go beta.

Well said.

sally4sara

I feel like this post was copied and pasted from some book. It is not applicable to real life.

I am a feminist and can see to my own needs. I've come through many life circumstances a stronger person who will not tolerate a bullying caveman type partner incapable of compromise.

Luckily that is not what an alpha male is about. I'm sure one could go back in time and handle the caveman life better than some other personality types, but its not because they are naturally brutish or ridgid.

My partner is multi faceted but definitely qualified to be "alpha". He is the task man. He will figure out a solution to your problem, and it must be an obvious thing about him because he is always the one people turn to for these solutions. He does things without care as to who sees him as the big man in charge. He doesn't wonder if something is a threat to his masculinity. Male kudos are not his motivation. I've asked him why he always feels compelled to be Mr. Go To, and he just got a confused look on his face...

"Because I can. Besides, who else is going to do it?"

It wears him thin sometimes. He comes home tired. While he has been there for me when I ask, he appreciates that I'm a partner who doesn't associate with him mostly because he can make my life easier. Most of the people in his life are way needier than I am. With me, he doesn't come home to a bunch of emergencies I couldn't take care of myself. If he is adamant about a course of action for our family, he has spent much time weighing the options and I can rest assured that he is right. But he is fine doing the same when I'm adamant about something. Sometimes he worries that I will start to feel neglected when he is busy helping people with their never ending issues. Then he gets to relax when I tell him it is this exact quality that makes me admire him. He is with a capable feminist because he can be at ease with one after a day dealing with people who cannot manage things without him.

butcher's hook

Ok so first you say this:

On a personal level, men I like and respect are alphamales to me - but I don't necessarily expect others to share my opinion. On a wider scale, the men I've encountered who I and other people regard as alphamales are usually extremely rich and extremely pleasant socially.

I offer a few examples of the men who could fall into that category and then you say this:

Not necessarily. The man I was talking about on the camping trip is a manual worker. A practically minded guy who gets stuff done, who might not be an academic but who nevertheless has the knack of being a raconteur who creates a positive buzz around him and makes people laugh. Which is part of what will set a man like that apart.

Oookkk... so now the alpha is the blue collar raconteur who creates a positive buzz around him at camp?

(Note to self: scratch super rich off the list but maybe keep and "pleasant socially" on the list.)

Then you claim that alpha's are the "protectors"

. That desire and ability to protect is, so long as its not overdone, extremely attractive in a male. Men who don't have it can still make good playmates, but they don't have the same emotional and physical draw as a stronger, protective type does. On a very basic, survival level, from a woman's perspective the alphamale is the one who is best equipped to protect her from danger. This might be why so many PUA techniques revolve around encouraging a woman to feal insecure (a very diluted form of the fearful feeling she'd get in a threatening situation) and then reassuring or "rescuing" her from that feeling he personally encouraged her to have in the first place.

Honey you are all over the place with your definitions and descriptions for what this silly term represents to you. I think you are looking for the Chupacabra as well! James Bond, let's call him "Bond" for your sake.

Then it boils down to a simple social extrovert:

I went camping at the weekend with a large group, and it was a good opportunity to observe the social hierarchy in practice. The guy who set about pitching tents (and who knew what he was doing) had an advantage from the start in that he was taking a leadership role regarding practical matters. Plus he was an extrovert, and tended to dominate conversation. So from early on, he established himself as the alphamale of the group.

You should have just started there sweetie. A man does not need to be extremely rich to be what you described in all the other instances.

You present far more bullsh*t than you cut through. And that's probably why you get cut down by the kind of men you're talking about.

Speaking of bullsht, did you say you are a lawyer or you were a lawyer?

For someone who has built a career on words with fixed meanings you sure are all over the place with this one in particular.

By the way it amuses me how you keep making references to "keeping up" banter with "men like this", and suggesting you can do this as if it were some great feat on your part. I see why you are proud and eager to harp on that little notion, and I can also see it is a tremendous accomplishment on your part. Interesting to note this man was in the camp group, he is not "your man".

It has nothing to do with being able to keep up with banter, for me. It is more that I don't like the bullsht of talking in circles for a futile exercise in mental gynamstics when it comes to the men I find romantically appealing. I can do that when I am bored for a bit but typically grow tired of it rather fast.

To pick a life partner who is just looking for mental games does not appeal to me in the least, you could say I feel confident in that respect when it comes to my own intellectual abilities and I do not need a partner who will fill the void of what I feel I am lacking intellectually, as some women might. I would rather spend my time with the type of man who will expand my vision on life on a more general scope, that's more where it's at for me. As opposed to an egomaniac who needs a gopher sidekick to laugh at his crowd pleasing schtick.

If that role suits you, then I would never stand in the way of that. ;)

butcher's hook

So cutting through the bullsht, the alpha male is the man who everyone wants to either be, or be with in a social setting.

Speaking of bullsht, did you say you are a lawyer or you were a lawyer?

For someone who has built a career on words with fixed meanings you sure are all over the place with this one in particular.

By the way it amuses me how you keep making references to "keeping up" banter with "men like this", and suggesting you can do this as if it were some great feat on your part. I see why you are proud and eager to harp on that little notion, and I can also see it is a tremendous accomplishment on your part. Interesting to note this man was in the camp group, he is not "your man".

It has nothing to do with being able to keep up with banter, for me. It is more that I don't like the bullsht of talking in circles for a futile exercise in mental gynamstics when it comes to the men I find romantically appealing. I can do that when I am bored for a bit but typically grow tired of it rather fast.

To pick a life partner who is just looking for mental games does not appeal to me in the least, you could say I feel confident in that respect when it comes to my own intellectual abilities and I do not need a partner who will fill the void of what I feel I am lacking intellectually, as some women might. I would rather spend my time with the type of man who will expand my vision on life on a more general scope, that's more where it's at for me. As opposed to an egomaniac who needs a gopher sidekick to laugh at his crowd pleasing schtick.

If that role suits you, then I would never stand in the way of that. ;)

I'm not sure I can be bothered wading through all this, but to elaborate on why I think you're more adept at presenting bull**** than cutting through it:

You evidently have issues about men (and maybe women too) who are in certain professions. You come across, in your posts, as someone who has quite a chip on her shoulder. You've taken pains to point that you have been chased plenty of times by "alphamales". This suggests insecurity, anger and competitiveness on your part.

Those are the same nasties you're trying to pin on men who have a dominant temperament. When you project all your issues onto some vaguely defined group such as men who are successful and popular, it comes across as envious, self-soothing bullsh*t.