Who are the apha-men?

Citizen Drawn
I might laugh at you, but I would never laugh at your shoes.

On topic, is this thread annoying you because you dislike the notion of alphamales? Surely every gregarious species has a fairly evident hierarchy. It's just life.

Not at all, just been watching Federer at Wimbledon - now see there is an alpha male. I just find it annoying that such a simple concept gets turned into a little box that people subjectively put themselves and others in. "Hey hey look here my guy is an alpha male" "hey I only do alpha males", totally classless.

espec10001
And then what is the opposite of an Alpha Male...not the Beta, which would be more of a "team member" type...something lower...lower...ahhhh...the Bottom Feeder. Often this type of guy , because he prefers to be his sole company...imagines he is above the crowd when he reality he is looking up. Obvious to everyone but him.

Hahaha! You have no idea what you are talking about. Men who are comfortable in solitude keep the world going 'round and do not need nor want fame and recognition. They do what they want and just because they might not do 'you' doesn't mean they are a "bottom feeder". They observe the "crowd" from a different vantage point, something you obviously know nothing about.

This whole "alpha male" concept doesn't exist in reality. Maybe a "king" or a "dictator" might be considered an alpha male, but how many of those do you find?

I'm going to sound like a terribly grumpy old man here but I do agree, at least partly, with Citizen. All the term alpha male really refers to is a 'leader' within a group of social animals (humans included), in which they usually have first choice of food and mating. They tend to be the strongest in the 'pack' and drive away or kill competitors.

Human beings of course don't do that any more (wink, wink) and instead the term alpha-male idea is based instead on wealth, inherited (and perhaps imagined) status, attractiveness and occasionally skill (athletes for example). In my opinion it is now instead linked to ego and a sense of 'greatness' - no decent person who was really comfortable with themselves would ever call themselves an alpha-anything - and for those dating the 'alpha' there is an imagined sense of glory and pride in doing so. I have no doubt that there is likely some biological link to people being attracted to certain base qualities in people (genetics).

Ego... always a bad thing...

Grumble grumble...

Trialbyfire

I'm trying to figure out why people are so offended by the term, alpha male? If you look at real life, there are plenty of alpha males running around.

It's true that the term, like any term, can be subjective. The consistency is true confidence within oneself. Looking around real life, there are plenty of guys who try to fake it, with the hopes of making it, but those guys are easy to spot.

Alpha Male is a stereotype. Some/Many men are leaders, or alpha in one or several aspects of life...and not in others. I've never met anyone who matches what I perceive as the stereotype in all facets of their life. I wouldn't want to.

espec10001
I'm trying to figure out why people are so offended by the term, alpha male? If you look at real life, there are plenty of alpha males running around.

It's true that the term, like any term, can be subjective. The consistency is true confidence within oneself. Looking around real life, there are plenty of guys who try to fake it, with the hopes of making it, but those guys are easy to spot.

Because the term is subjective. If you consider a man who gets lots of females as an alpha male, then that is what YOU consider desirable qualities. If you consider a man who has lots of money and fame as an alpha male, then that is what YOU consider to be desirable qualities.

You can't judge someone an "alpha male" by superficial things like money and women. You don't really know them, thus to conclude they are an alpha male is erroneous at best. They could have all the money and women and fame in the world, but inside they are a miserable wretch who seeks fulfillment on the outside when he is a destitute on the inside.

Trialbyfire
Because the term is subjective. If you consider a man who gets lots of females as an alpha male, then that is what YOU consider desirable qualities. If you consider a man who has lots of money and fame as an alpha male, then that is what YOU consider to be desirable qualities.

You can't judge someone an "alpha male" by superficial things like money and women. You don't really know them, thus to conclude they are an alpha male is erroneous at best. They could have all the money and women and fame in the world, but inside they are a miserable wretch who seeks fulfillment on the outside when he is a destitute on the inside.

Did you read my post at all? Read "true confidence in oneself". You're talking about the fake it, but never make it, men.

I don't think it's offense as such but rather an inaccurate use of the term. People who are truly accepting of themselves and have true confidence - which in my opinion is not based upon egotistical comparisons with other people - don't need a term to desribe them. You only have to search on google the term 'alpha male' to find several articles and paid downloads on how to become the alpha (and it is almost always about attracting girls). My feeling is that that is fake, the pigeon-holing is unnecessary and for the people 'dating' alpha males, why do they feel the need to say so? That to me just seems like a bit of an ego-massage....

And I think maybe that's what Citizen was saying too ;)

Trialbyfire
I don't think it's offense as such but rather an inaccurate use of the term. People who are truly accepting of themselves and have true confidence - which in my opinion is not based upon egotistical comparisons with other people - don't need a term to desribe them. You only have to search on google the term 'alpha male' to find several articles and paid downloads on how to become the alpha (and it is almost always about attracting girls). My feeling is that that is fake, the pigeon-holing is unnecessary and for the people 'dating' alpha males, why do they feel the need to say so? That to me just seems like a bit of an ego-massage....

Let me guess, you're a "nice guy"! :laugh:

Errr...did you read the opening post at all? It asks the question of whether you like them or date them. :rolleyes:

Men, does anyone consider yourself to be an alpha men?

Men, what do you think about them?

:).......

I assume he was 'thinking'

Let me guess, you're a "nice guy"! :laugh:

Errr...did you read the opening post at all? It asks the question of whether you like them or date them. :rolleyes:

Hee hee, I love this place and really missed it - you always get a good debate, but you do seem to be having some buttons pushed here Trial - seems a little bit defensive ;)

Actually I read the whole thread... and was simply responding with my opinion. Personally I neither like or date them... is that what you wanted? :p

And that nice guy comment is just mean, I know what you guys think of 'nice guys' here ;) Actually I don't label myself in any way, I'm just me!

Not at all, just been watching Federer at Wimbledon - now see there is an alpha male. I just find it annoying that such a simple concept gets turned into a little box that people subjectively put themselves and others in. "Hey hey look here my guy is an alpha male" "hey I only do alpha males", totally classless.

Well, people are bound to have a bias regarding the person they're with. They've been drawn by qualities they admire, and calling those qualities "alpha" is probably just another way of describing those qualities.

Look at it another way. If I do those little personality tests online, I invariably come out as predominantly a B-type person. So presumably that makes me predominantly a beta female. Which sounds terrible. On the other hand, b-type people tend to be more laid back and often live for longer - provided they're not so laid back that they have an inactive lifestyles and don't exert any discipline with regard to health matters.

A-types are more aggressive by nature. They will often have a more energetic approach to life, and be more successful in various avenues....but just as the b-type's tendency towards laziness can cause health, career and relationship problems, so can the a-type's aggression. No personality type has a monopoly over all the goodies, so the majority of people probably try to borrow from both personality types depending on what a particular situation calls for.

But if we all reverted to living like savages, I would imagine that the "alphas" would be those most blessed with the following:

1. Physical strength and fitness - able to fight hard, and run fast

2. Cunning/ruthlessness

3. Good practical skills (the ability to fashion weapons)

4. Good observational skills (finding berries, staying alert to threats)

5. Leadership skills (the ability to organise and dictate the activities of a group through which they can increase their strength and likelihood of survival)

I went camping at the weekend with a large group, and it was a good opportunity to observe the social hierarchy in practice. The guy who set about pitching tents (and who knew what he was doing) had an advantage from the start in that he was taking a leadership role regarding practical matters. Plus he was an extrovert, and tended to dominate conversation. So from early on, he established himself as the alphamale of the group.

Trialbyfire
Hee hee, I love this place and really missed it - you always get a good debate, but you do seem to be having some buttons pushed here Trial - seems a little bit defensive ;)
Who engaged who first, in defense of their position? :laugh:

Actually I read the whole thread... and was simply responding with my opinion. Personally I neither like or date them... is that what you wanted? :p
Respond to your section, unless you're a woman. :D

And that nice guy comment is just mean, I know what you guys think of 'nice guys' here ;) Actually I don't label myself in any way, I'm just me!
Then you're the type who don't believe in labels in general.

Btw, I label myself as an alpha female. Do whatever you want, with the term! :bunny:

We could sort this out once and for all if Alpha Male would just post...

Um, I think he's getting a hot dog with Susan ;)

Um, I think he's getting a hot dog with Susan ;)

I believe she's getting his hot dog ;):laugh:

Who engaged who first, in defense of their position? :laugh:

Touché! Fair enough, I can see how a little bit of what I'd written could be antagonistic...

Respond to your section, unless you're a woman. :D

I did! I said nothing at all about my experiences dating alpha males... that's for another thread entirely.

Btw, I label myself as an alpha female. Do whatever you want, with the term! :bunny:

Ah, now that would be because you were with an alpha male? :laugh:

Alpha-male characteristics:

• Confident, with high self-esteem.
  • Like Popeye, "I ams who I ams". ;)

popeye :rolleyes:

Trialbyfire
Ah, now that would be because you were with an alpha male? :laugh:
No. Labels don't bother me. If I fit a label, I'll use it. If I don't, I won't. My panties don't get into a twist about them. ;)

As for Popeye, it's an injection of humour. :rolleyes:

Citizen Drawn

Yeah it was. Being uncomfortable in your own skin breeds this. Best to just steer clear of those people and let them out-alpha each other in their land of make believe.

GorillaTheater
i am alphamale

<shoves alphamale off the top of the hill and picks up a stick, awaiting Boldjack's attack>

Could you please explain me who the alpha-men are?

Nothing that you are going to find in this forum. There is not a single one.

What are their characterictics?

They are intelligent, powerful, in charge, people respect them, have a good sense of humor, and are very confident.

Women, do you have any experiences of dating them?

I've only been attracted to alpha-men, but haven't been very lucky with that. It seems that alpha-men shun away from me for some reason...

Do you like them and dating them?

I've only dated non-alpha men (lame, not confident, wimpy, etc) and was never attracted to them.

hmm what are the characteristics of an alphamale, lets see:

• good looking
  • smart/educated
  • perceptive and follows his intuition
  • experienced
  • cultured
  • has money but not necessarily "rich"
  • knows how to please a woman
  • independent and not needy
  • has his own life
  • is picky about who he lets into his "inner circle"
  • has hobbies