Are you 5ft4ish and do you weigh between 105-108?

It's fine, Dlish. You're on topic and you didn't hijack at all.

I do want to clarify something. It's not a question of bravery. I posted this to help myself because I feel like this kind of makes me accountable now. But the thing I really want to clarify is this: I do not have an eating disorder. That's the thing. It sounds like you do and I'm glad you're facing it and making progress.

But see here's the difference. When I look in the mirror, and by the way, I'm in my mid 40's and have had this issue since high school, I'm NOT fine with myself at ALL. That's the difference between an eating disorder and just being underweight. It's a mental thing.

Do you see the difference? The bolded part of your post is something I really can't and have never related to. I don't see things in the mirror that others don't. I see myself as being underweight. And that's just how anyone looking at me would see me. So that's the difference between us.

But that doesn't matter. The important thing is that you're addressing your issue and I'm addressing mine.

By the way, thanks so much for the instant potato idea. Quick, easy, delicious and fattening. Sounds great. I do appreciate the food ideas and even got the heavy cream that Story suggested. I've been using that in my coffee instead of milk again. That's 50 cals a tablespoon!

And I agree about working out. I'm just not ready now.

Johan, stop corrupting my thread or I will report you too.

I wondered if your weight gain issue was biological or emotional...I wasn't sure.

lol. Oh well- I spilled and got some stuff off my chest.

Forget the wooden spoon, use a gravy ladle.

I'm completely serious about gravy, it's one of my serious downfalls. I have been known to serve foods that are a vehicle for gravy. I can't get enough of the stuff. It is sad, and I'm laughing at myself, but gravy is the evil of all foods!

• Author
Okay, I can't resist this. Touche has been eating mashed potatoes. She eats it in a bowl about the size of your head, with a wooden spoon.

I kid you not! :laugh:

:lmao: That's funny that you remembered that! Yep, I love my mashed potatoes. But those were the REAL ones that H made over the holidays. He makes the BEST mashed potatoes. He made me lunch today too. He makes very good grilled cheese sandwiches. He made it with swiss and cheddar. So good. Yummy.

Anyway, thanks so much everyone. DDL, yes on the gravy. I love gravy but what do you put it on? I mean there are only so many things I put it on: Turkey, sometimes on mashed potatoes but what else?

Also, I don't drink soda at all. I really don't like soda. I only drink my shakes or juice. I love cranberry and grape. Lately I've been drinking lots of unsweetened grape juice because it's the highest in calories I believe.

And yes on the butter. I have never used a butter substitute. I love real butter and cream and whole milk.

Last night I made linguini with freshly grated parmesan and half a can of clams with some of the juice, parsley, garlic, cream and a ton of butter. It was delicious.

Ok, DDL need ideas for foods I can pour gravy over.

And D-Lish, it's ok. I mean the root of our "problem" is different but the end result is the same, right? So spill all you want. We can still support each other.

I've always been an open book on LS. It's a good thing. So feel free to come here and post about any eating issues. It's fine. This doesn't have to be all about me only you know.

Meats and potatoes are great for gravy, but don't count out breads. I really hate "soggy" bread, the idea of wet bread is gross, but somehow gravy doesn't make bread soggy at all!

I particularly love a southern concoction known as biscuits and sausage gravy. While I prefer brown gravies, this white gravy caught my attention as a child through a neighbor family with a mother from Kentucky. I can vividly remember going home after a sleepover and telling my mother about the wonderful biscuits and gravy I had for breakfast! Sadly, she never attempted to make them for me, but on our travels south, on vacations, if biscuits and gravy was on the menu, I ordered them.

I don't even make my own gravy, I use a powdered package made by Pioneer and it's pretty tasty. It's called Country Gravy and it makes two cups. The suggested serving size is 1/4 cup at 50 calories, but I'm sure I use closer to a full cup on my 1 and a half biscuits! I do brown some sausage and then add the gravy to make it more flavorful. I use about a quarter pound of sausage per 2 cup gravy package. I don't even make my own biscuits, I use the Pillsbury Grands. 1 and a half is very filling. If I had a package I would give you a better total calorie count, but I need to go shopping first. I'm going tomorrow! :)

But if you need more gravy "vehicles" I can suggest stuffing (another bread product) and I even like gravy on a number of veggies. Green beans and cauliflower are good with gravy, but they're very good without, too. I haven't tried gravy on too many veggies, but it would probably be good on most.

Okay, I'm starting to sound like the gravy freak that I am. It's good stuff!

Stuffing is a great idea for weight gain. If you want to make it from scratch, I have a cranberry stuffing recipe, to die for. If you don't want to stuff a bird with it, you can make it a vegetarian stuffing, on the stovetop.

Found this list of high calorie foods for kids ;):

Condensed Milk (Sweetened)

Trail Mix (with chocolate chips, nuts, and seeds)

Dates

Chicken a la king

Chicken Pot Pie

Cheese Sauce

Bread Crumbs

Pecan Pie

Ricotta Cheese

Baked Beans with Franks

Potato Salad

Eggnog

Edited by Trialbyfire
  • Author

Oh wow, that made me laugh DDL! Too funny. I hate, hate, hate biscuits and gravy and how does gravy not make bread soggy? :confused:

Awhile after my H and I were dating, (and he's from the South,) he presented me with this concoction after our first night together. He said it was biscuits and gravy. I had never in my life heard of such a thing. Mind you I'm originally from NY. So he presents me with this mass of gloopy, gloppy viscous stuff piled on top of these white insipid looking biscuits. It was the most disgusting thing I'd ever seen. He made it all from scratch and I wanted to puke when I saw it. But I smiled and ate it and even said how tasty it was.

Picture Lucy with that Vitavitavegiment...remember that episode? That was me that morning.:laugh: Shyt, what we do for love! Ha ha!

Of course since then he knows not to bring that crap anywhere near me. :sick: And he still makes it almost every weekend. It's truly gross.

Give me a good bagel with cream cheese and lox and I'm happy. Of course he thinks that's the most disgusting thing ever.

Yeah, we're so different culturally.

But I digress. Thanks for the suggestions, DDL. Not sure about gravy on veggies. I just like butter. But on stuffing yes. I love stuffing. Maybe I'll make that more often because I'm not a big bread eater either.

Oh yes, TBF I'd love that recipe. That sounds really good.

• Author
Stuffing is a great idea for weight gain. If you want to make it from scratch, I have a cranberry stuffing recipe, to die for. If you don't want to stuff a bird with it, you can make it a vegetarian stuffing, on the stovetop.

Dates

Chicken a la king

Chicken Pot Pie

Cheese Sauce

Bread Crumbs

Pecan Pie

Ricotta Cheese

Baked Beans with Franks

Potato Salad

Eggnog

Thanks for that, TBF. Good ones. Wow, I love Pecan Pie. That's a good one. As I recall that's a gazillion calories a slice. :laugh: I'll have to hide it from H though or he'll eat it all.

Dates

Chicken a la king

Chicken Pot Pie

Cheese Sauce

Bread Crumbs

Pecan Pie

Ricotta Cheese

Baked Beans with Franks

Potato Salad

Eggnog

My dream diet! All on one page!

Touche', have you googled metabolism stunters? I have been meaning to all day. I remember reading something about kick-starting your metabolism through food combining and wonder if the same works in reverse, ie: slowing down your metabolism.

• Author
Do you like sweets? Cheesecake should do wonders. Or fudge.

I love cheesecake but I'm not that big on fudge. But it's funny, in general I'm not that big on sweets. I do love ice cream though and have been eating a lot of ice cream lately. Love my Haagen Daaz (sp?)

The whole time I was typing about biscuits and gravy something inside told me that you detest them!

Of course, you know, here in the south, anytime you don't like something, well, you just haven't had it cooked quite right!:)

But bagels with cream cheese surely have a significant caloric count! I'm not a NYer, nor a southerner, by nature. I grew up in the midwest.

I don't like those chewy bagels, just don't get the allure, and I prefer toast to biscuits (unless GRAVY is involved!)

Pecan pie is something we certainly agree on.:D Mmmm mmmm!

you're a jew

Yes, a dash of Jew. Primarily French, Russian and Spanish.

Touche, I've got a chicken pasta recipe with ricotta, if you also want it, since ricotta cheese and pasta of any kind, can help to pack on the pounds.

Touche, I've got a chicken pasta recipe with ricotta, if you also want it, since ricotta cheese and pasta of any kind, can help to pack on the pounds.

a dash of jew... you've got to much of food on your mind, you sound like your describing an ethnic recipe for trialbyfire

• Author
touche your so little I think I'd throw you

In your dreams. You're not a Jew are you?

DDL, that was funny about TBF's list being your dream diet!:laugh:

Wow, who doesn't like chewy bagels? Wow. I love a good bagel. Too bad you can't get a good one here in the south. Sucks. Chewy bagels and a dash of Jew in you FTW! (that was for you, TBF, my dear.;))

DDL, metabolism stunters? Nope, haven't looked that up yet but I will. I'm intrigued. I've never thought to look up about slowing down my metabolism. And I'll be very interested in that if it doesn't involve QUITTING SMOKING!

:laugh:

Thanks again everyone. Sure do appreciate all the suggestions and support.

• Author

Bring it on, sweetie. You can post it here. I'll copy and paste it into my recipe folder and it might benefit others. I happen to love ricotta and of course love pasta. So yes, please post it when you can. Thank you!:)

Potato salad is my world. Potatoes of any kind are dream evoking.

Especially with GRAVY!:D

No, I don't put gravy on potato salad. Mayo and gravy don't mix in my world.

Unless they don't TOUCH each other!:D

• Author
Potato salad is my world. Potatoes of any kind are dream evoking.

Especially with GRAVY!:D

No, I don't put gravy on potato salad. Mayo and gravy don't mix in my world.

Unless they don't TOUCH each other!:D

I guess I'm really weird. I love potatoes of any kind but I'm not really into potato salad. It's just like I love nuts but hate peanut butter.

How's the beer DDL? :laugh: I know you're having one! cheers!

:p 'Tis true KMT, that's how you bake a Tbf.

For you Touche, love, anything. :)

Creamy Ricotta, Chicken and Tomato Penne

Ingredients:

3/4 lb penne or rigatoni

1 tsp salt

1/2 tsp pepper

1/4 c. sundried tomatoes

2 c. chopped cooked chicken breast

2 minced cloves of garlic

1/4 c. chopped onions

1/4 c. white wine

1/4 c. parmesan cheese

1 c. ricotta cheese, at room temperature

1/4 c olive oil (I like extra virgin for more flavour but it's your choice)

1 pint of cherry tomatoes (halved or quartered)

4 green onions thinly sliced

baby spinach (optional)

Preparation:

Cook penne. At the same time, mix 3/4 cup of ricotta with salt and pepper. Drain penne, when done, then mix with ricotta mixture and cover, to keep warm.

In a skillet, warm olive oil over high heat, cook garlic and regular onions until translucent. Add chicken, wine and sundried tomatoes until the wine has reduced a bit. Add cherry tomatoes, green onions and cook until the tomatoes are softened, about 1 minute. Pour mixture over the pasta and toss carefully just to combine. Garnish the pasta with remaining ricotta and parmesan cheese.

If you're a spinach lover, throw in baby spinach, at the point where you're tossing all the ingredients together and let the heat from the pasta, wilt the spinach.

Enjoy.

I love spinach so I add quite a bit. :)

What was that recipe again for a trialbyflamer?

:p For you, just add shrimp to the following:

• Author

Wow, TBF. Thank you so much for that. I can't wait to try that one. I'll let you know when I do. I love every single ingredient in that recipe and it looks so easy too. And yes, I'm a huge spinach lover.

It will be awhile before I try it though because I only go grocery shopping once a month and I went a week or so ago. And I could make it now except for the fact that I have all the ingredients except for the wine (can I substitute beer? LOL...just kidding) and the sun-dried tomatoes. So you're going to make me buy wine next time I go to the store. Shoot. :p

Anyway, thanks. That really does look good.