Are you 5ft4ish and do you weigh between 105-108?

• Author
Thought I'd put my two cents in to recommend protein bars--many of them are high-calorie (250 to 300) and obviously high-protein (10g-20g), both of which I think would make them an easy way to add "meals" to your day, especially on the go. Plus, the protein would help you build the muscle you're looking for. If you're already having three 500/600-calorie meals, and you ate three protein bars on top of that, that might make it easier to keep up with a six-meal day.

Thanks, Josie. I might look into that again but honestly, I've never tried one that I really liked. So instead I stick to eating more of what I do like.

I eat them all the time, although I have the opposite problem. I eat them as a meal replacement so I can LOSE weight. :-) But I can see how they'd also work as additional calories for someone who wants to gain.

Yes, I can see that too. Just like with the Instant Breakfast thing that I mentioned. I use it to supplement my meals. I might try some others and see if there's any I can find that I like.

Good luck!

Thanks! So far so good. I've already gained a pound since I started. :)

Congratulations on your pound gain! :)

When I was pregnant with my third child I experienced a higher than normal stress level and had a lot of difficulty in gaining and maintaining weight. My weight has been up and down my entire life with the down times centering around unpleasant emotional breakdowns of some sort. In other words I am most happy with my weight when I am most miserable in all other areas of my life. That sucks. But to get to the original point, my doctor suggested supplementing meals with Ensure drinks. They are similar to Carnation instant breakfast, but might be a little thicker. At any rate they do add a significant number of calories to one's diet and might be worth a try.

Certainly MY diet is horrendous! Where you enjoy sushi, I enjoy onion rings, or anything fried in deep fat. So, picking apart my daily food choices and eliminating the bad stuff would be easy for anyone. I know what needs to change, I'm just not motivated enough yet. Restricting fried foods and beer would probably be enough to make positive changes.

I'm curious, you mentioned giving up wine and I have always thought of alcoholic beverages as high calorie. Almost any weight loss diet suggests extreme limitation of alcohol. So, how does eliminating wine help your cause? I don't mean to suggest that increasing the wine is healthy.

Oh, and with all the new vanity sizing, I can see you in a size zero before you know it. ;)

Thanks for the pep talk, too. You're right that even with small steps I could be where I would like in time for swimsuit season. I really should exercise, too. Surely I have the time to do 20 minutes a day.

I smoke about a pack a day. Sometimes more, sometimes less. When my mother visited last month I only smoked 4 cigarettes one day. She is an ex-smoker and I do try to be respectful of her disgust for her former habit. :) When I said "up" my consumption to two packs, I was referring to those super skinny models that are noted to smoke like a freight train. You know, nicotine kills appetite and all that. I bet if you ever decide to quit you will be one of those who just throws the pack away and never touches them again. That kind of will power and self control amazes me. When I try to quit I cry a lot. I just can't do it while being surrounded by smokers, either. Does your H smoke? For some reason I think not.

Keep posting your progress. Will power is motivating.

• Author
Congratulations on your pound gain! :)

Thanks!

When I was pregnant with my third child I experienced a higher than normal stress level and had a lot of difficulty in gaining and maintaining weight. My weight has been up and down my entire life with the down times centering around unpleasant emotional breakdowns of some sort. In other words I am most happy with my weight when I am most miserable in all other areas of my life. That sucks.

I'm the same way. I was at my absolute lowest (scary low with ribs showing and hipbones showing) after I left the ex.

But to get to the original point, my doctor suggested supplementing meals with Ensure drinks. They are similar to Carnation instant breakfast, but might be a little thicker. At any rate they do add a significant number of calories to one's diet and might be worth a try.

Ha, been there, done that. I went on a diet in the 90's and was drinking those by the boatload. I can't even look at it now. I just can't stomach those again. I did gain 5 pounds before I gave up on the diet entirely. I'll stick to what works for me now. Those ensure drinks are too thick/rich for me.

Certainly MY diet is horrendous! Where you enjoy sushi, I enjoy onion rings, or anything fried in deep fat. So, picking apart my daily food choices and eliminating the bad stuff would be easy for anyone. I know what needs to change, I'm just not motivated enough yet. Restricting fried foods and beer would probably be enough to make positive changes.

But you don't have to cut yourself off completely. Just some small changes will do it.

I'm curious, you mentioned giving up wine and I have always thought of alcoholic beverages as high calorie. Almost any weight loss diet suggests extreme limitation of alcohol. So, how does eliminating wine help your cause? I don't mean to suggest that increasing the wine is healthy.

Ok, two reasons for giving up the wine. One is that it's half the calories than my Sierra Nevada beer. I believe wine is about 100 cals or so per glass whereas the beer is 200 per beer. Secondly, I'm incapable of controlling myself with wine. Rarely, can I only drink two and if I drink more than two, my appetite is lost. I'll either skip dinner entirely, or just eat a few bites. So that's why I had to cut out the wine. Not to mention how unhealthy it is. I mean I've been WAY overdoing it lately, with the holidays and everything so even if I hadn't started this diet, I would had to do something about that issue.

Oh, and with all the new vanity sizing, I can see you in a size zero before you know it. ;)

No seriously, that will never happen, not with the way my waist gets when I gain weight. I mean even now my waist/hips aren't small enough to fit into those sizes. But that doesn't bother me at all. I'd be happy with fitting well into a 5/6. I'm a 4 now.

Thanks for the pep talk, too. You're right that even with small steps I could be where I would like in time for swimsuit season. I really should exercise, too. Surely I have the time to do 20 minutes a day.

You're welcome. I know you can do it. I mean, seriously, I'm the least disciplined person so if I can do it, anyone can.

I smoke about a pack a day. Sometimes more, sometimes less. When my mother visited last month I only smoked 4 cigarettes one day. She is an ex-smoker and I do try to be respectful of her disgust for her former habit. :) When I said "up" my consumption to two packs, I was referring to those super skinny models that are noted to smoke like a freight train. You know, nicotine kills appetite and all that. I bet if you ever decide to quit you will be one of those who just throws the pack away and never touches them again. That kind of will power and self control amazes me. When I try to quit I cry a lot. I just can't do it while being surrounded by smokers, either. Does your H smoke? For some reason I think not.

Oh, ok, gotcha on the upping the smoking. No, don't do that. Not worth it. That's funny because my mom quit too not long ago. She was a 3 pack a day smoker though. I'm also a pack a day.

Trust me, no way am I the type who can just throw them away and never touch them again. I have very little self-control/will power. I'm a weak person that way. Plus, yeah H smokes too. So that would make it even harder for me.

Keep posting your progress. Will power is motivating.

I will. Well, I hope maybe I motivate you a little. ;)

Hey congrats on the pound.

This means that I need to lose a pound.

I was thinking that some form of light weight work might help you distribute your up'd calorie intake.

It takes time and persisitance as you know.

Also, do you like nuts? Nuts are usually high in protein and fat. A handful here and there might be a good thing to have on hand.

• Author
Hey congrats on the pound.

This means that I need to lose a pound.

I was thinking that some form of light weight work might help you distribute your up'd calorie intake.

It takes time and persisitance as you know.

Also, do you like nuts? Nuts are usually high in protein and fat. A handful here and there might be a good thing to have on hand.

Thanks, Undies!

I know I should probably exercise but right now I don't want to. I don't want to burn any calories. Maybe when I gain more, I'll work with the weights a little bit.

Yes, I usually have a final snack before bed and often it's half a cup of mixed nuts at about 440 cals a pop. I actually already posted about that.:p But thanks, anyway. Yeah, having had this issue pretty much my whole life, I'm well acquainted with the high calorie/high fat foods that pack a lot of punch in a small amount. But thanks anyway!

Ok, start working on losing that pound. You can do it!

• Author
Touche - don't you smoke? How about you quit? I've heard it causes weight gain! ;) Another incentive... :bunny:

I know. But I've already addressed this. No can do now.

I know. But I've already addressed this. No can do now.

Go visit lung cancer patients. If that doesn't cause you to quit, well, you know what? It will.

Cheers!

I agree that the boost shakes with extra calories work.

I have pretty bad anxiety, and my stomache is always in knots and I have to force myself to eat most days.

I lost 40 pounds after my divorce- I am 5'7, 110 lbs now. (I was 99lbs for a time) The last 5 years I have had trouble maintaining that weight, and I always keep Boost in my fridge to keep my weight up.

I also had a rough time with my ex mother in law who used to tell me I was too heavy when I dated her son- she hammered this into my head over the decade I was with him.... so that has also caused me emotional trauma and a severe body image problem.

No matter what- I make sure to drink those shakes.... they do help, and they give you more energy too.

• Author
Go visit lung cancer patients. If that doesn't cause you to quit, well, you know what? It will.

Cheers!

I doubt it would, really. For every person who dies of lung cancer from smoking there are many who live into their 80's and 90's and are fine. Also many people who never smoked a day in their life end up with lung cancer.

Not saying it's healthy but it's fact. It's a risk and I know that. A lot of things in life are a risk though. But thanks for the concern.

Reminder: This thread is NOT about my smoking. It's about my gaining weight.

• Author
I agree that the boost shakes with extra calories work.

I have pretty bad anxiety, and my stomache is always in knots and I have to force myself to eat most days.

I lost 40 pounds after my divorce- I am 5'7, 110 lbs now. (I was 99lbs for a time) The last 5 years I have had trouble maintaining that weight, and I always keep Boost in my fridge to keep my weight up.

I also had a rough time with my ex mother in law who used to tell me I was too heavy when I dated her son- she hammered this into my head over the decade I was with him.... so that has also caused me emotional trauma and a severe body image problem.

No matter what- I make sure to drink those shakes.... they do help, and they give you more energy too.

Thanks for sharing that D-Lish. Your ex mother in law sounds horrible. Are you happy with your weight now?

Is the Boost better than Ensure? (If you've tried Ensure. ) Maybe I'll try that. I just can't handle anything too thick and rich. :sick:

I doubt it would, really. For every person who dies of lung cancer from smoking there are many who live into their 80's and 90's and are fine. Also many people who never smoked a day in their life end up with lung cancer.

Not saying it's healthy but it's fact. It's a risk and I know that. A lot of things in life are a risk though. But thanks for the concern.

Reminder: This thread is NOT about my smoking. It's about my gaining weight.

What do you do? Just make up statistics that suit you? Show me a link or information that support that KARAZZZY claim you just made.

There is a reason insurance rates go up for smokers, and its because of ACTUAL statistics, not convenient ones!

Maybe you denial with certain things is the cause of your not being able to gain weight?

Or you could have some form of cancer that doesn't allow you to gain weight and its just in its early stages?

Have you seen a doctor?

Cheers!

• Author
What do you do? Just make up statistics that suit you? Show me a link or information that support that KARAZZZY claim you just made.

There is a reason insurance rates go up for smokers, and its because of ACTUAL statistics, not convenient ones!

Maybe you denial with certain things is the cause of your not being able to gain weight?

Or you could have some form of cancer that doesn't allow you to gain weight and its just in its early stages?

Have you seen a doctor?

Cheers!

Josie, honey. Be warned. I'm THIS close to alerting the mods. Now, I said it once and I'm only going to say it one more time. You are OFF-TOPIC. This thread is not about my smoking it's about my weight. Got it?

Oh and I don't believe in doctors. What do you think of that?

And who the hell said I couldn't gain weight. I can gain weight any time I set my mind to do so. I can and I will.

Josie, honey. Be warned. I'm THIS close to alerting the mods. Now, I said it once and I'm only going to say it one more time. You are OFF-TOPIC. This thread is not about my smoking it's about my weight. Got it?

Oh and I don't believe in doctors. What do you think of that?

And who the hell said I couldn't gain weight. I can gain weight any time I set my mind to do so. I can and I will.

But you see, this is what you may not understand! Those that know my profession will agree with me!

There is a smoking weight correlation with many people! Please research it!

You should consider what I am saying! Obviously, you do not know all the answers, otherwise you would not have posted about it?

Why would you turn me into the mods? Do you make that threat to others, or just me?

There are many factors in weight gain/loss! Please consider all options!

If you just want to hear about what to eat, thats fine, but thats not the half of it! The smoking is messing with your system in more ways than one!!!!

Cheers!!

Now, back on topic...

'Grats on the pound. It might be a pound and a half by now!

If you eat a chocolate bar a day, it might help too. Wow, that sounds wonderful, well, in between periods of nausea from sugar overdose... ;)

Thanks for sharing that D-Lish. Your ex mother in law sounds horrible. Are you happy with your weight now?

Is the Boost better than Ensure? (If you've tried Ensure. ) Maybe I'll try that. I just can't handle anything too thick and rich. :sick:

I am okay with my weight- if I dip below 110 I look skinny instead of thin. But you know what its like- you see things in the mirror that others don't.

When I was 99 lbs after my break up I still tried to lose... now I know that 115 is a good goal. You know you have a problem when you can't find jeans or clothes in your size. I remember putting on a 24 waist pair of jeans at the mall and they were baggy- and I asked the clerk for something smaller.... and she told me to buy the pants and eat a sandwich.... lol. not kidding. That was a reality check for me.

The Boost is thick- but that's why I like it, because it's filling like a milk shake. I only drink the Strawberry and Vanilla.

I haven't tried ensure.

I've tried mashed potatoes though- lol.... when I need to add weight....lts of mashed potatoes.

I know what it's like though. Everyone is telling you you're too thin- but you look in the mirror and don't see it. I have my ex mother in law to thank for that. She was a wickedly critical woman. Both her daughters had an eating disorder.... no wonder! Their mother was weight obsessed- always commenting on women's bodies.

I think it's great you are making progress. I'm not sure of your age. I developed this eating disorder at the age of 30- I was a curvy size 10 from the age of 13 onwards. Since my break up and that trauma- putting on weight is freakin hard because I see that wretchid woman's face everytime I go to eat.

It's brave of you to share all this. I have never really talked much about it besides with my doctor.

Sorry- just high jacked your post- didn't mean to.

;-)

• Author
Now, back on topic...

'Grats on the pound. It might be a pound and a half by now!

If you eat a chocolate bar a day, it might help too. Wow, that sounds wonderful, well, in between periods of nausea from sugar overdose... ;)

Thanks, TBF! And you're right about the chocolate.

Josie, please stop. You're beating a dead horse. I've probably known about the smoking/weight correlation before you were even born. I mean just stop it, ok? You're not helping.

As for "making a threat." I don't make threats, I make promises. And I only make so-called "threats" if my thread topic isn't being respected. I'm not sure what you hope to accomplish with the smoking lecture. Others have already mentioned it and I've already said I'm not quitting now. And yes, I'll still gain the weight just like I did in 2005 when I also SMOKED.

Why not start your own thread about the dangers of smoking?

Now, BACK ON TOPIC please!

The Boost is thick- but that's why I like it, because it's filling like a milk shake.

;-)

Hm. Thick and filling. And you really like it. Do you have it in the mornings or in the evenings? Or just whenever the mood strikes?

Hm. Thick and filling. And you really like it. Do you have it in the mornings or in the evenings? Or just whenever the mood strikes?

I like morning.

Sometimes I even like it in the middle of the night.

It doesn't matter though- I'll take a sip when the mood strikes me.

Maybe if you strike me I'll take a sip...lol

:love:

Thanks, TBF! And you're right about the chocolate.

Don't negate the potatoes!!!

It's gross, but I like the instant stuff.... with butter.

I'm not a sweets person... so I go with the maximum impact, and that happens to be instant mashed potatoes.... lol.

Little things you can do....

Drink regular pop instead of diet

Add bread... white or whole wheat- doesn't matter.

Even drink more orange juice or the like. Liquid can add extra calories.

Work out too.... it WILL make you more hungry.

When I go to the gym on the regular basis- the work out makes me hungry... and it builds muscle mass.

Don't negate the potatoes!!!

It's gross, but I like the instant stuff.... with butter.

I'm not a sweets person... so I go with the maximum impact, and that happens to be instant mashed potatoes.... lol.

Little things you can do....

Drink regular pop instead of diet

Add bread... white or whole wheat- doesn't matter.

Even drink more orange juice or the like. Liquid can add extra calories.

Work out too.... it WILL make you more hungry.

When I go to the gym on the regular basis- the work out makes me hungry... and it builds muscle mass.

Lots of good calories here, Touche!

As far as instant mashed potatoes go, there is a brand called Potato Buds, made by Betty Crocker, and they are remarkably good if made just a bit thicker than suggested! I add a bit of them to frozen diner mashed potatoes to make them tolerable. Of course nothing beats REAL mashed potatoes, and gravy only adds to the calories (mmmm, I'm getting hungry just thinking about them) but for very little work, I'd go with the Potato Buds. Extra buds, and extra butter. If you're potato inclined, that is.

Speaking of butter, it has more calories than alternatives, and tastes far better IMO.

Trying to help in any small way!

I really like juices, too! They are calorie heavy, yet light on the stomach. A very good choice for weight gain.

I would be so much better suited to weight gain than loss! I don't mean to ridicule your problem in any way, but gaining is so easy for me! Cheesecake, cheesecake, and more cheesecake!:)

Okay, I can't resist this. Touche has been eating mashed potatoes. She eats it in a bowl about the size of your head, with a wooden spoon.

I kid you not! :laugh:

Okay, I can't resist this. Touche has been eating mashed potatoes. She eats it in a bowl about the size of your head, with a wooden spoon.

Tou-che, one bowl.

If it's workin', I say go for it.

But the wooden spoon escapes me?:lmao:

• Author
I am okay with my weight- if I dip below 110 I look skinny instead of thin. But you know what its like- you see things in the mirror that others don't.

When I was 99 lbs after my break up I still tried to lose... now I know that 115 is a good goal. You know you have a problem when you can't find jeans or clothes in your size. I remember putting on a 24 waist pair of jeans at the mall and they were baggy- and I asked the clerk for something smaller.... and she told me to buy the pants and eat a sandwich.... lol. not kidding. That was a reality check for me.

The Boost is thick- but that's why I like it, because it's filling like a milk shake. I only drink the Strawberry and Vanilla.

I haven't tried ensure.

I've tried mashed potatoes though- lol.... when I need to add weight....lts of mashed potatoes.

I know what it's like though. Everyone is telling you you're too thin- but you look in the mirror and don't see it. I have my ex mother in law to thank for that. She was a wickedly critical woman. Both her daughters had an eating disorder.... no wonder! Their mother was weight obsessed- always commenting on women's bodies.

I think it's great you are making progress. I'm not sure of your age. I developed this eating disorder at the age of 30- I was a curvy size 10 from the age of 13 onwards. Since my break up and that trauma- putting on weight is freakin hard because I see that wretchid woman's face everytime I go to eat.

It's brave of you to share all this. I have never really talked much about it besides with my doctor.

Sorry- just high jacked your post- didn't mean to.

;-)

It's fine, Dlish. You're on topic and you didn't hijack at all.

I do want to clarify something. It's not a question of bravery. I posted this to help myself because I feel like this kind of makes me accountable now. But the thing I really want to clarify is this: I do not have an eating disorder. That's the thing. It sounds like you do and I'm glad you're facing it and making progress.

But see here's the difference. When I look in the mirror, and by the way, I'm in my mid 40's and have had this issue since high school, I'm NOT fine with myself at ALL. That's the difference between an eating disorder and just being underweight. It's a mental thing.

Do you see the difference? The bolded part of your post is something I really can't and have never related to. I don't see things in the mirror that others don't. I see myself as being underweight. And that's just how anyone looking at me would see me. So that's the difference between us.

But that doesn't matter. The important thing is that you're addressing your issue and I'm addressing mine.

By the way, thanks so much for the instant potato idea. Quick, easy, delicious and fattening. Sounds great. I do appreciate the food ideas and even got the heavy cream that Story suggested. I've been using that in my coffee instead of milk again. That's 50 cals a tablespoon!

And I agree about working out. I'm just not ready now.

Johan, stop corrupting my thread or I will report you too.