Are you 5ft4ish and do you weigh between 105-108?

Trialbyfire
And I remember reading that the fat cells you have are determined in childhood according to your eating or some such thing.

Yes, that's what I've also heard, even as young as babyhood. It's another of the million reasons why they strongly suggest breast feeding. Less fat and far more good stuff, than formula.

• Author
I'm just waiting for the perfect time to start turning you in for infractions...

But seriously, as a person always battling with his weight (and I'm doing damn good for the past 2 years), have you noticed your servings are smaller, than say, the fat girl two cubicles down?

Ahem...like you haven't already done that.

Yes, I would say my servings are sometimes smaller...not always though. It depends how hungry I am.

But I've noticed that since I've gained these 4 pounds I've absolutely stretched my stomach. I'm eating more in one sitting than I did before.

The less you eat the less you want to eat and the more you eat the more you want to eat. It's really true.

Thanks, Undies!

Yes, I agree TBSF. But I think genetics play a part as well.

IANd Ariadne, are your measurements/body type similar?

No.

I have been always borderline chubby.

And after starting a new job back in November, with the holidays and all I put on some weight... I was really really pissed to be working after spending three years unemployed and doing nothing. I hated to spend the whole day locked up in a cubicle with no windows like a prisoner.

So I started eating the good stuff to compensate. I ate all the things that I can't eat, that is, ice cream, hot fudge sundaes, pastry, cakes with condensed milk, donuts, apple pie, cheesecake, pumpkin pie with whipped cream, m&m's, caramel chocolate, drinking eggnog, irish cream. You name it.

So I gained a bunch of weight and got beyond chubby.

But after a while I got some sense into me and I've been losing weight again. A struggle, because I like all that stuff. And I've been jogging every day on the company employee park. So I'm getting back in shape.

I wish I was like Touche that she can skip meals and not care. But she has a soulmate and the perfect life, cottage in the country side including her own produce, a beautiful kid etc. So it's easier for her.

• Author

Ariadne, good for you. You can do it. By June you'll be in tip top shape I bet.

And stop it with the whole "perfect life" thing. Not true. And it's very hard for me. I hate my body. And I have my struggles with addiction. I'm honest on here. No one has the perfect life. Am I blessed? Absolutely. I don't know what I did to get so lucky in life but yeah, I do have my struggles just like anyone else.

I hate my body. I hate my weaknesses. I wish I were a better person in other areas of my life. I've got a lot to work on. You always make me laugh with your whole vision of me and my life. You're cute though. It's part of your personality to romanticize everything I guess.;)

SoHotZanzibar
Funny, you mention Heather Locklear. She's built like me and weighs about 108 at about 5 ft 4 according to past research. I think she looks great. She's what I'm shooting for. I don't know why she'd want to gain.

No, I don't get more exercise at all. I do eat pretty well though. I think I just don't eat as much maybe as most people. I have a habit of skipping meals at times. And I guess I have a fast metabolism.

I've been underweight my entire life. Well, except for my first year of college. I actually gained that "freshmen 15" and looked my absolute best. But after that, I went right back to my old weight. I was even underweight when I was pregnant. I'm just naturally underweight. Stinks. It's a real effort for me to gain and be at a normal weight. But I'll get there.

I guess everyone's metabolism is different.

And I remember reading that the fat cells you have are determined in childhood according to your eating or some such thing. Naturally, I ate like a bird as a kid. Our son is the exact same way. I can already see that he will also be a skinny, maybe underweight, adult.

Now don't go tainting my fantasy and vision of Heather Locklear...! She's all I got sometimes!

Yeah, my son eats like a bird too. He looks like those kids you have to give money too. But he does eat a lot, just bits and pieces.

My metaloblism is not fast at all.

And you mentioned about stretching out the stomach: too true. The easiest and most effective way to lose weight is cutting your calories. Not so much the exercise. But exercise is good too for obvious reasons such as tone and mobility, epecially in our older years

SoHotZanzibar
No.

I have been always borderline chubby.

And after starting a new job back in November, with the holidays and all I put on some weight... I was really really pissed to be working after spending three years unemployed and doing nothing. I hated to spend the whole day locked up in a cubicle with no windows like a prisoner.

So I started eating the good stuff to compensate. I ate all the things that I can't eat, that is, ice cream, hot fudge sundaes, pastry, cakes with condensed milk, donuts, apple pie, cheesecake, pumpkin pie with whipped cream, m&m's, caramel chocolate, drinking eggnog, irish cream. You name it.

So I gained a bunch of weight and got beyond chubby.

But after a while I got some sense into me and I've been losing weight again. A struggle, because I like all that stuff. And I've been jogging every day on the company employee park. So I'm getting back in shape.

I wish I was like Touche that she can skip meals and not care. But she has a soulmate and the perfect life, cottage in the country side including her own produce, a beautiful kid etc. So it's easier for her.

You and I have a similar story, both physically and mentally. My beyond chubber period was 250 and I had heart racings. I dropped down to 206 since then, mostly counting calories and exercising.

ANd moderate chubby girls are just as attractive if not more than thin ones. I feel bad for attractive women that worry and mope about their few extra pounds, when its actually a plus.

I still eat ice cream and stuff, but i worked in fruits and veggies much more, and i honestly dont really enjoy the sweets as much (except for sweet rice).

It's a constant battle though, and I can relate

• Author
Now don't go tainting my fantasy and vision of Heather Locklear...! She's all I got sometimes!

Yeah, my son eats like a bird too. He looks like those kids you have to give money too. But he does eat a lot, just bits and pieces.

My metaloblism is not fast at all.

And you mentioned about stretching out the stomach: too true. The easiest and most effective way to lose weight is cutting your calories. Not so much the exercise. But exercise is good too for obvious reasons such as tone and mobility, epecially in our older years

How the heck did I "taint" your vision of Heather Locklear? Grrrr!

My son is like yours...between the way he dresses and his little skinny frame, you'd think he was a beggar on the street!:laugh:

SoHotZanzibar
A

And stop it with the whole "perfect life" thing. Not true. And it's very hard for me. I hate my body. And I have my struggles with addiction. I'm honest on here. No one has the perfect life. Am I blessed? Absolutely. I don't know what I did to get so lucky in life but yeah, I do have my struggles just like anyone else.

I hate my body. I hate my weaknesses. I wish I were a better person in other areas of my life. I've got a lot to work on. You always make me laugh with your whole vision of me and my life. You're cute though. It's part of your personality to romanticize everything I guess.;)

Oh, your life is close to perfect! Please! Compared to some of us on here?

And you are right about the luck! Some are just more luckier than others.

But you'll have to show us your body so we can reassure you that its fine.

(and I would NEVER offer you up for an infraction! How immature you think I am?)

• Author
Oh, your life is close to perfect! Please! Compared to some of us on here?

And you are right about the luck! Some are just more luckier than others.

But you'll have to show us your body so we can reassure you that its fine.

(and I would NEVER offer you up for an infraction! How immature you think I am?)

Ok, yeah look I'm not trying to say I don't have a great life. It's just not perfect. Hell, I've been through hell and back and I'm grateful for every blessing in my life. And yes, a lot of it IS luck. I don't care what anyone says. It's not that I'm some great person who is better than the next guy. I just got lucky in life. So yes, I agree with you on that.

I'll post a full body pic in a bikini around June or July when I reach my target weight. For now, I aint' "fine" and I know it.

You don't really want me to answer that last question do you?:p

• Author

Just wanted to put this out there concerning body types. I'm obviously an ectomorph and so is our son. So which one are you?:

Ectomorphs are generally tall and thin and have long arms and legs. These people have difficulty gaining weight and muscle no matter how much they eat or how hard they weight train. They have the body type you tend to see in ballet dancers, runway models, long-distance runners, and some basketball players. A very small proportion of the population has this type of body.

Mesomorphs are generally muscular, shorter, and have stocky arms and legs. These people are strong and tend to gain muscle mass when they do strength training. They may find it difficult to lose weight, but they excel in power sports like soccer, softball, vaulting in gymnastics, sprinting events in track and field.

Endomorphs are generally shaped like apples or pears and carry more body fat. Their bodies resist losing weight and body fat no matter how restrictive they are with their eating. In fact, the more they “diet,” the more their metabolisms slow down to resist weight loss. These people are better able to handle long periods of starvation and famine (which was a benefit to our ancestors). Sports they excel at are distance swimming, field events, and weight lifting.

• Author

I've been reading this on line article from UCLA and also found this interesting tid bit:

In one recent study, researchers overfed a group of people 1000 extra calories every day for 8 weeks and found that there was a huge difference in the amount of weight gained (ranging from 3 to 16 pounds)! The researchers concluded that the people who gained less weight were able to “waste” the extra calories by fidgeting more and giving off more body heat. The people who gained more weight lacked this capability and simply stored the extra calories.

Also, for those of you trying to lose consider this:

To maximize fat loss, minimize the drop in your metabolism, energy, mood, and grades, and increase the chances that you won't gain it back, lose weight slowly! Decrease your intake slightly by 300-500 calories per day and increase your exercise level. Aim for about 0.5-2 lb. weight loss per week. If you are very overweight, 2 lb. per week is acceptable. But, if you only have a few pounds to drop, the rate should not exceed 0.5-1 lb. per week.

I can't even seem to gain more than 2 pounds per month (1/2 lb per week.) It can get a little discouraging but think about it. In only 5 months those of you who are trying to lose can lose 10 pounds by decreasing your daily intake by not that many calories: 250 cals for a 1/2 pound loss per week and 500 cals for a pound loss per week.

I started my diet in Jan and by June when it's bathing suit weather, I will have gained about 12 pounds.

It's just so easy to get discouraged when the progress is so slow. But if you look ahead, it can be very encouraging.

Just wanted to put this out there concerning body types. I'm obviously an ectomorph and so is our son. So which one are you?:

Ectomorphs are generally tall and thin and have long arms and legs. These people have difficulty gaining weight and muscle no matter how much they eat or how hard they weight train. They have the body type you tend to see in ballet dancers, runway models, long-distance runners, and some basketball players. A very small proportion of the population has this type of body.

Mesomorphs are generally muscular, shorter, and have stocky arms and legs. These people are strong and tend to gain muscle mass when they do strength training. They may find it difficult to lose weight, but they excel in power sports like soccer, softball, vaulting in gymnastics, sprinting events in track and field.

Endomorphs are generally shaped like apples or pears and carry more body fat. Their bodies resist losing weight and body fat no matter how restrictive they are with their eating. In fact, the more they “diet,” the more their metabolisms slow down to resist weight loss. These people are better able to handle long periods of starvation and famine (which was a benefit to our ancestors). Sports they excel at are distance swimming, field events, and weight lifting.

Weird - I don't really fit any of the categories... I seem to be able to lose and gain weight fairly easily when I set my mind to it... Maybe because I mostly exercise and don't cut too much on my calorie intake. I rev my metabolism instead of slow it down.

Thanks, DDL.

GRRRR...I feel stuck. Yes, I've gained 4 pounds so far but it's going soooooo slowly considering I started this the first week of Jan. :mad: I'm still going though. No, I'm not perfect every day. I do slip up and skip a meal here and there, or I don't eat the required number of times I have to to gain, but I'm mostly on it. If I screw up one day, I go right back on it the next.

By June I should hopefully see a big difference.

Anyway, just wanted to update. It helps me feel accountable and encourages me to keep going.

Thanks for the support.:)

Ok so I have been reading up a bit more - to catch up on where yo were at with your diet. Congratulations on the 4 pounds.

What strikes me most is that it is as demanding to gain weight as it is to lose some. But you really sound like you're in the right frame of mind for it.

• Author
Weird - I don't really fit any of the categories... I seem to be able to lose and gain weight fairly easily when I set my mind to it... Maybe because I mostly exercise and don't cut too much on my calorie intake. I rev my metabolism instead of slow it down.

But you must fit one of them. What is your body type? When you gain where do you mostly gain?

That's interesting though about your exercise. Do you have less of an appetite when you exercise?

What's very interesting about exercise is that it really seems to be a type of "metabolism regulator" of sorts. I say that because exercise actually enhances the appetite for those with my issue And as I said, it depresses the appetites in those who need to lose.

• Author
I want to be a short ectomorph...*pouts*

I guess I am a mesomorph...

:laugh:

You're funny Undies. What's weird is that I'm really not tall. I'm right about average for a woman but I have the appearance of being taller because of my long lean (skinny really) limbs.

Three more months until the beach!!! Hope to see you there (with a new body.);)

Three more months until the beach!!! Hope to see you there (with a new body.);)

Me and my flo jo bootay will be there.

• Author
Ok so I have been reading up a bit more - to catch up on where yo were at with your diet. Congratulations on the 4 pounds.

What strikes me most is that it is as demanding to gain weight as it is to lose some. But you really sound like you're in the right frame of mind for it.

Thanks so much Kamille. The support here is really helping me. I don't want to fail.

And as for your observation, well according to diet and nutrition experts, they say that for those of us who have to gain, it's actually HARDER to gain than it is to lose - for those who need to lose. People always laugh at me when I tell them that. They have no sympathy and make cracks. But yeah, it's not easy at all. I hate having this problem.:(

I swear, if I have to have a weight problem I'd kill to have it be in reverse. Just skip a few meals here and there, don't have dessert and voila, perfect body! hahaha

Edited by Touche
  • Author
Me and my flo jo bootay will be there.

YIPPEEE! And I'd rather have flo jo bootay than NO bootay. :p

I'm pear shaped (bootylicious!) so I fit the endomorph category better - but my body doesn't really resist losing weight and body fat. But again, I never go about it by restricting my food intake.

I think my appetite increases when I exercise, but what usually happens when I exercise regulaly is that I will start craving healthier foods. Like fish, rice, fruits and veggies. I will also eat more frequently, snacking on nuts and fruits. I just don't believe in starving my body, which creates situation where all I want is a plate of spagetthi and then cake. Frequent, healthy snacks keep me on track.

And I'm lucky in that I absolutely love veggies and usually my meals consist of 50% veggies or more. I finish every meal with a salad (sometimes just lettuce with an olive oil-flax oil vinaigrette), which usually steers me off having 'seconds'. (For people who want to lose weight: have your meal, if you feel like having seconds, have your salad first and then if you still feel like having seconds, yes you're probably still hungry so go for it).

And as for your observation, well according to diet and nutrition experts, they say that for those of us who have to gain, it's actually HARDER to gain than it is to lose - for those who need to lose. People always laugh at me when I tell them that. They have no sympathy and make cracks. But yeah, it's not easy at all. I hate having this problem.:(

I swear, if I have to have a weight problem I'd kill to have it be in reverse. Just skip a few meals here and there, don't have dessert and voila, perfect body! hahaha

Awe,

You are doing good. Either side of the coin it takes consistency and effort. I have known some women who stuggle to gain and like you said it is more of a struggle to keep it on. I saw one friend about a year ago and she looked great. I remember thinking that she would blow away in a strong wind and when I saw her she looked so much better. She was happy too so good for her. She did say it took a long time and that she had to rearrange her whole way of eating. If she could get there so can you. You don't have nearly the underweight issues that she had.

Also, I would guess that those body types you mentioned above may not truly show themselves until sometime after 30 when most people's metabolism begins to slow down or adjust to adulthood.

Lastly, I think that men have the easiest time losing weight. They can just skip a meal, go to the bathroom and viola...10 lbs lost. :mad:...:laugh:

• Author
I'm pear shaped (bootylicious!) so I fit the endomorph category better - but my body doesn't really resist losing weight and body fat. But again, I never go about it by restricting my food intake.

I think my appetite increases when I exercise, but what usually happens when I exercise regulaly is that I will start craving healthier foods. Like fish, rice, fruits and veggies. I will also eat more frequently, snacking on nuts and fruits. I just don't believe in starving my body, which creates situation where all I want is a plate of spagetthi and then cake. Frequent, healthy snacks keep me on track.

And I'm lucky in that I absolutely love veggies and usually my meals consist of 50% veggies or more. I finish every meal with a salad (sometimes just lettuce with an olive oil-flax oil vinaigrette), which usually steers me off having 'seconds'. (For people who want to lose weight: have your meal, if you feel like having seconds, have your salad first and then if you still feel like having seconds, yes you're probably still hungry so go for it).

That's funny that you mention eating the salad first for those trying to lose. I was just yesterday talking to a friend about this very thing. I eat my salad last, if not I'd fill up too much on low-cal salad and not eat as much of the higher caloric entree. So that was excellent advice for those who want to lose. The thing to be careful with are the dressings. I have to pile on the oil.

I think your approach to weight loss is a very wise one. Starving one's self only works for the short-term. It seems to only backfire in the long run. I've actually heard that people doing that, end up gaining back even MORE, ending up at a higher weight than when they started their diet. So it sounds like you're taking the sensible approach.

Also, that's interesting about how exercise does increase your appetite but for healthier foods. I've never heard any one say that before. But hey, that works in your favor so keep it up!

• Author
Awe,

You are doing good. Either side of the coin it takes consistency and effort. I have known some women who stuggle to gain and like you said it is more of a struggle to keep it on. I saw one friend about a year ago and she looked great. I remember thinking that she would blow away in a strong wind and when I saw her she looked so much better. She was happy too so good for her. She did say it took a long time and that she had to rearrange her whole way of eating. If she could get there so can you. You don't have nearly the underweight issues that she had.

Also, I would guess that those body types you mentioned above may not truly show themselves until sometime after 30 when most people's metabolism begins to slow down or adjust to adulthood.

Lastly, I think that men have the easiest time losing weight. They can just skip a meal, go to the bathroom and viola...10 lbs lost. :mad:...:laugh:

Thanks for that inspiring story Undies. I always like to hear about others in my situation. There are so few of us that sometimes I really feel like I'm the only person with this problem. That alone can get me down at times. It's even really hard to find information on the internet!

It's ridiculous. I did finally find a support group for we underweights but the board is not very active at all. And what's so pathetic is that even on that board ads for how to lose weight pop up! GRRRRR. And of course you'll always see a troll here and there telling us to shut up and just eat a sandwich.:mad:

Yes, it's a proven fact that men lose easier and more quickly.

SoHotZanzibar

You know, all you women on here (and you sound just fine Unders. There aren't enough mesomorph's around) forget one thing:

It's not so much the body that makes the woman attractive, its the woman that makes herself attractive.

I have a whole list of celeberties that I wish I could meet in my fantasy world, and none of them have any similar traits.

(Allison Hannigan, Rita Cosby, Nicole Sullivan, Debra Wilson, Queen Latifah, Jen from Big Brother, Heather Locklear, evil woman from Prison Break, and even Lisa Kudrow to name a few).

While I know you realize this, but maybe you have to be reminded because the media just pounds these 'perfect' women in your psyche.

Trust me: I'm sure you are all fine. No guy is going to overlook you for a few extra pounds or a few less pounds.

But yes, I know: you want to feel good about yourself.

SoHotZanzibar

Yes, it's a proven fact that men lose easier and more quickly.

Now if only talking burned more calories, this wouldn't be the case...