Are you 5ft4ish and do you weigh between 105-108?

Undies, you don't look like you need to lose ten pounds. But you saw me and you know I could use ten to 15 pounds.

Why can't you believe that your calves are 14" around? You're athletic. Besides, you're still under the average.

Thanks Touche,

I do need to get consistent with my work outs though.

It is all about consistency, excercise and healthy eating.

My ripped size 3 jeans might beg to differ with you. :lmao:

(that was my wake up call)

I felt like the Hulk when that happened, and yes it made me very angry.

You do have a petite frame. You are beautiful though.

Gosh, I just don't have this problem. Have you thought about visiting a GNC place and shop in their weight gain/bulk up area? Shakes and stuff?

We will have to check in on each other and motivate each other and maybe sometime before spring we will both be a little happier with our weights.

Good luck on the program. :)

• Author
Thanks Touche,

I do need to get consistent with my work outs though.

It is all about consistency, excercise and healthy eating.

My ripped size 3 jeans might beg to differ with you. :lmao:

(that was my wake up call)

I felt like the Hulk when that happened, and yes it made me very angry.

You do have a petite frame. You are beautiful though.

Gosh, I just don't have this problem. Have you thought about visiting a GNC place and shop in their weight gain/bulk up area? Shakes and stuff?

We will have to check in on each other and motivate each other and maybe sometime before spring we will both be a little happier with our weights.

Good luck on the program. :)

That was so funny about the Hulk. Hey, I can't even fit into size 3 jeans so you know you're nowhere near being overweight.

Thank you for the compliment, Undies. That's really sweet of you to say.

As for the GNC stuff, UGH. :sick: I can't do it. I've tried everything over the years. And the women on my underweight board for the most part, can't stand any of that stuff either. I do use Carnation Instant Breakfast though. That's I believe, 280 cals with an 8 oz. glass of milk. I've been drinking those every day since I started on my plan.

That sounds good, Undies. I'm determined. And I'll even have H take a pic of me in my bathing suit and I'll make it my avvy! And you'll have to do the same.:p

That was so funny about the Hulk. Hey, I can't even fit into size 3 jeans so you know you're nowhere near being overweight.

Well, neither can I right now. :mad:

That sounds good, Undies. I'm determined. And I'll even have H take a pic of me in my bathing suit and I'll make it my avvy! And you'll have to do the same.:p

:confused::eek::o

I need Brittney's airbrush crew and dim lighting.

Touche, it sounds like you're being realistic about your size based on a tiny frame. You would look silly with the average woman's measurements and weight, even though you're almost dead on average height.

• Author
Touche, it sounds like you're being realistic about your size based on a tiny frame. You would look silly with the average woman's measurements and weight, even though you're almost dead on average height.

Yes, I think so. I mean height is only part of the picture. One 5 ft 4" woman might look anorexic at 105-108. The "normal" weight for a woman of that height according to all those tables goes from 108 all the way to I think 125 or 130. It really does depend on your frame. Like I said, I'd look plump at 125 or 130. I mean the very fact that I had a healthy baby who weighed almost 7 pounds when I only weighed 122, tells me a lot.

So you're right. My goal isn't to achieve average size measurements. I need to measure those mannequins! ;)

Hey, Undies. I need Brittany's airbrush crew too. But forget the dim lighting. I need complete darkness!:laugh: (Oh wait, then I wouldn't even need the airbrushing, would I?):laugh:

burning 4 revenge

You look good Touche, I wouldn't worry about the weight. For the sake of your health youd be much better served trying to quit smoking and that may cause a weight gain anyways

Mustang Sally
It really does depend on your frame. Like I said, I'd look plump at 125 or 130. I mean the very fact that I had a healthy baby who weighed almost 7 pounds when I only weighed 122, tells me a lot.

Hmmm.

I don't know about this.

The baby + placenta, amniotic fluid + your physiologic increased blood volume, etc. probably weighed in around 19-23 pounds at term, I'd estimate. Therefore YOU only weighed about...well, you can do the math.

Also, a baby will take pretty much whatever it needs at the expense of the mother. Meaning, just the fact that you had a reasonably good sized baby for your weight/weight gain does not mean that you were FAT at the time that occurred. i.e. You could have been relatively undernourished and still had an average weight baby. Not that you were, I'm just saying it is possible.

(Hmmm. Did that make any sense? Hope you get what I'm trying to say. :confused:)

• Author
You look good Touche, I wouldn't worry about the weight. For the sake of your health youd be much better served trying to quit smoking and that may cause a weight gain anyways

Thanks, Burning. But you lie. You even told me you thought I was too thin. I know I am. Anyway, you're right about the smoking. I know. I should. But I can't now.

Have you quit?:p

• Author
Hmmm.

I don't know about this.

The baby + placenta, amniotic fluid + your physiologic increased blood volume, etc. probably weighed in around 19-23 pounds at term, I'd estimate. Therefore YOU only weighed about...well, you can do the math.

Also, a baby will take pretty much whatever it needs at the expense of the mother. Meaning, just the fact that you had a reasonably good sized baby for your weight/weight gain does not mean that you were FAT at the time that occurred. i.e. You could have been relatively undernourished and still had an average weight baby. Not that you were, I'm just saying it is possible.

(Hmmm. Did that make any sense? Hope you get what I'm trying to say. :confused:)

No, actually I'm not sure I get your point. The doctor told me that I was very healthy. And I don't need to do the math. I weighed in the 90's when I got pregnant. That's right. And I was worried about it too. It was the doctor, after a thorough exam, who told me that I didn't need to worry as long as I ate healthy and continued to gain during the pregnancy. I had no problems during the pregnancy and felt great. So I don't understand the part about "a baby will take what it needs at the expense of the mother." What expense did I pay? Of course I wasn't "FAT" as you say. I wasn't fat at all during pregnancy. I don't think one has to be fat to have a healthy baby. The key is to gain weight at a certain steady pace if I recall correctly. At least that's what I remember the doctor telling me.

He was never concerned with my weight only that I continue to steadily gain during the pregnancy. And he was concerned with the baby's growth as well. Everything was perfectly normal.

Anyway, I'm sorry but I really didn't quite get your point.

If you're implying that I'm not healthy well, let me tell you this. I smoke and drink and I'm underweight. BUT, that being said. I've never been hospitalized for anything. Most of the women I've known around my age are on one prescription or another. I've never been prescribed anything..never been on meds of any kind.

People who are underweight actually live longer and are actually healthier than most people who are of average weight. Did you know that?

Also, I'd stack what I eat up with most of the population. I eat fairly healthy compared to the average American diet.

So yeah, I really wasn't sure where you were going with all of that. Perhaps you can clarify.

Mustang Sally

I'm sorry.

I misunderstood what you were trying to say. :o

I thought you thought you got fat with the pregnancy.

I'll read more carefully next time.

And of course, whatever your doctor tells you is better than whatever any of us here (like me) can guess for your health.

Good luck with the diet!

No offense was intended...

• Author
I'm sorry.

I misunderstood what you were trying to say. :o

I thought you thought you got fat with the pregnancy.

I'll read more carefully next time.

And of course, whatever your doctor tells you is better than whatever any of us here (like me) can guess for your health.

Good luck with the diet!

No offense was intended...

No, no offense was taken. No, I was saying that even during PREGNANCY when most women gain a lot of weight, I still only reached 122 pounds. I wasn't saying I was fat - just the opposite.

Anyway, that's not what the thread is about but thanks for wishing me luck. I will need a little luck and a LOT of perseverance.

Citizen Erased

People who are underweight actually live longer and are actually healthier than most people who are of average weight. Did you know that?

Also, I'd stack what I eat up with most of the population. I eat fairly healthy compared to the average American diet.

Perhaps. But you smoke and drink, so that counts it out ;):p

It must be hard for you, I can imagine the reactions of people when you complain that you don't weigh enough. It is hard for most women to lose weight, so it is hard to comprehend why anyone would want to put any on ;)

FYI I am 5"2 and I weigh 47 kilos, which is about 105 in pounds I think... Not sure about the other things you were asking for, may look a bit weird measuring myself at work :laugh:

If you truly want to put on weight, go to a GP, they may need to direct you to a dietician, and go from there. I'd suggest you quit smoking but I doubt that will happen :laugh: Don't assume anything about how healthy/unhealthy you are, or base it on what one doctor says. You know your body more then anyone else, listen to it ;)

• Author
Perhaps. But you smoke and drink, so that counts it out ;):p

Maybe you're right. I'm hoping that I inherited the good genes in my family.

It must be hard for you, I can imagine the reactions of people when you complain that you don't weigh enough. It is hard for most women to lose weight, so it is hard to comprehend why anyone would want to put any on ;)

Yes, some people are not understanding of it and kind of roll their eyes. I don't worry about them. But those who care about me and love me, don't do that. They support my desire to be happy with myself.

FYI I am 5"2 and I weigh 47 kilos, which is about 105 in pounds I think... Not sure about the other things you were asking for, may look a bit weird measuring myself at work :laugh:

Ha! Yeah, you might get some funny looks if you start measuring your calf at your desk. :laugh:

If you truly want to put on weight, go to a GP, they may need to direct you to a dietician, and go from there. I'd suggest you quit smoking but I doubt that will happen :laugh: Don't assume anything about how healthy/unhealthy you are, or base it on what one doctor says. You know your body more then anyone else, listen to it ;)

Honestly, I don't need a doctor or a dietician. I've had this problem for over 30 years now so I'm very well acquainted with my body and what's normal and not normal for me. And I'm well aware of what I need to do. I seriously doubt that a dietician can tell me anything I don't already know. Not being cocky but it's true. Anyway, I'm not one really to go by what ANY doctor says either. I'm pretty in tune with my body and I do listen to it. That was good advice for anyone, really.

• Author
I think I can tell who is old here and who is young!

LOL!!!!

Cheers!!!

What do you mean?

What do you mean?

I don't mean old as a bad thing!

I've seen your picture in your profile! You are gorgeous (like my dad's girlfriend. You don't look the same, but same beautiful looks!!!)

Cheers!!!

I don't mean old as a bad thing!

I've seen your picture in your profile! You are gorgeous (like my dad's girlfriend. You don't look the same, but same beautiful looks!!!)

Cheers!!!

Miss Josie, First off my dear beauty lies within, you should take that advice to heart at your tender age! I am not seeing a great inner beauty on your part. Don't knock Touche, she's got it going on inward and outward.

AP:)

Miss Josie, First off my dear beauty lies within, you should take that advice to heart at your tender age! I am not seeing a great inner beauty on your part. Don't knock Touche, she's got it going on inward and outward.

AP:)

How did I knock Touche, answerplease? I just said she was beautiful?

And I know beauty lies within. It also lies on the outside too! And Touche is beautiful!!!!!!!

You are very attractive as well if that is you!

Whats your problem?

• Author

Thanks, answer please. You're a dear. But Josie didn't offend me..except the part about comparing me to her father's girlfriend!:rolleyes::laugh: No, really, it's ok. Let's get back on topic please.

So, the stupid insurance company approved me it seems. I guess somehow they were convinced I didn't have an eating disorder or that I'm sick. Lucky us. Now we get to shell out over $500 a month for medical insurance - with a $10,000 deductible I might add. Stinks. I hate insurance companies and real estate agents! GRRRR.:mad:

But I digress. My diet is going well so far. I can't wait to buy some new bathing suits in the spring! YAY!

• Author

I found this interesting fact about women increasing in size over time. Check this out:

In 1941 the average woman was 5' 2", 129 pounds. Today she is 5' 4" and weighs 144 lbs (wearing between a 12 and 14). Interesting, huh?

Wow, I'd be obese if I weighed 144 lbs!:laugh:

Ok, I've started my weight gain diet a week ago. So far so good.

I'd be more than happy and willing to give you some of mine. :)

The average woman's wrist is 6/75"

The average woman's ankle is 8.75"

The average woman's calf is 14.3" :eek:

I see you already mentioned it, but it is important to remember that the average woman is a size 12 or 14. She most likely has a medium build, too.

I took my measurements and was surprised that mine are slightly below average at 6.5, 8.5, and 13.25. Strange because I feel heavy right now. I am 5'5" and weigh about 140, but I have a larger than average bone structure. At my smallest I could never fit into something as small as a size 0 or 2. I have a few 4's, but I'm more of a 5/6 on my best day. Now I'm wearing a 9, and the waist is a bit tight although the butt and thighs are fine. I so wish I had a real waist.

Touche' I can understand wanting to weigh more, just as I understand wanting to weigh less, but I honestly think the best you might be able to accomplish on a permanent basis is to be at the lowest end of the weight spectrum for your height. There are lots of tables telling us what that range is, but just as there are many who are considered overweight, they are just as many considered to be underweight. Thus, the averages. I'm sure that's why I keep finding myself at 140 lbs., that's just where I naturally fall in. Oh how I wish 120 were my "natural" weight, though. Even 125 would be good.

I guess my point is that if it's so hard to gain weight, try to accept where you normally fall. I would bet that quitting the smokes would add 5 pounds, maybe even 10, but quitting is very hard, too. If any bad habit will make you gain, it's got to be excessive beer consumption. 1320 empty calories in a 12 pack of light beer!

Now if only I could stop eating.... :confused: And maybe up my cigarette use to two packs....

Good luck to you in your weight gain quest. It certainly will take life changes and I have discovered my ability to make real changes is pretty limited. Hope you will fare better!:)

Thought I'd put my two cents in to recommend protein bars--many of them are high-calorie (250 to 300) and obviously high-protein (10g-20g), both of which I think would make them an easy way to add "meals" to your day, especially on the go. Plus, the protein would help you build the muscle you're looking for. If you're already having three 500/600-calorie meals, and you ate three protein bars on top of that, that might make it easier to keep up with a six-meal day.

I eat them all the time, although I have the opposite problem. I eat them as a meal replacement so I can LOSE weight. :-) But I can see how they'd also work as additional calories for someone who wants to gain.

Good luck!

• Author
I'd be more than happy and willing to give you some of mine. :)

:laugh: I'll take it! Aren't you having a baby though?

• Author
I see you already mentioned it, but it is important to remember that the average woman is a size 12 or 14. She most likely has a medium build, too.

Yes, that's why I'm not shooting for the average in terms of weight for my height or measurements.

I took my measurements and was surprised that mine are slightly below average at 6.5, 8.5, and 13.25. Strange because I feel heavy right now. I am 5'5" and weigh about 140, but I have a larger than average bone structure. At my smallest I could never fit into something as small as a size 0 or 2. I have a few 4's, but I'm more of a 5/6 on my best day. Now I'm wearing a 9, and the waist is a bit tight although the butt and thighs are fine. I so wish I had a real waist.

Please, are you kidding me? I'm under 100 and I can't fit into a 0 or 2 either. In my twenties at the same weight, I am now, I did. Our bodies change especially after giving birth. I'll never have a 22-24 inch waist again. I wish. Because when I gain weight, that's the ONLY area I'm not happy about. I love my waistline. But I'll take the trade-off.

Touche' I can understand wanting to weigh more, just as I understand wanting to weigh less, but I honestly think the best you might be able to accomplish on a permanent basis is to be at the lowest end of the weight spectrum for your height.

Agreed. And that's exactly what I'm shooting for. All those tables say 108 is the lowest for my height in order to have a normal BMI. I'm shooting for that or at least 105. My ideal would be 110. Hope I can make that but I'll be happy at 105.

There are lots of tables telling us what that range is, but just as there are many who are considered overweight, they are just as many considered to be underweight. Thus, the averages. I'm sure that's why I keep finding myself at 140 lbs., that's just where I naturally fall in. Oh how I wish 120 were my "natural" weight, though. Even 125 would be good.

I guess my point is that if it's so hard to gain weight, try to accept where you normally fall.

No. I'll never accept that. Yes, it's hard for me to gain but it's not impossible. I've done it before and I'll do it again. I just have to make sure to pay attention this time and MAINTAIN.

I would bet that quitting the smokes would add 5 pounds, maybe even 10, but quitting is very hard, too. If any bad habit will make you gain, it's got to be excessive beer consumption. 1320 empty calories in a 12 pack of light beer!

You're right about the smoking but unfortunately, I'm not ready. I've already given up wine for this diet. It's funny you mention the beer. When I want to drink, I drink two Sierra Nevadas at 200 a pop. I can't drink more than two though but that's 400 calories right there at least.

Now if only I could stop eating.... :confused: And maybe up my cigarette use to two packs....

You don't need to stop eating. Just change what you eat. What do you mean up your cigs to two packs? You mean lower it? Do you smoke more than two packs a day?:eek:

Good luck to you in your weight gain quest. It certainly will take life changes and I have discovered my ability to make real changes is pretty limited. Hope you will fare better!:)

Thanks, DDL. Yes, of course it takes life changes. But in my experience, nothing really worthwhile in life DOESN'T take life changes. Your ability to make real changes is only limited by your own will/motivation. I've done this before. I did it successfully in 2005. For the first time in years, I put on a bathing suit when we were on vacation and went in the pool/ocean. It was so great. And that's what is motivating me to do this again. Only this time, like I've said, I can't slide back into bad habits AFTER I reach my goal.

Yes, it's very hard to make real changes. But it most certainly CAN be done.

And DDL, if you really want to get down to your goal weight, you really can do it. I'll bet anything that I can examine anyone's diet and tweak it a little and they'd lose. You can get down to 125 by Memorial Day by just changing one thing for example. All you have to do is consume 250 measly calories less a day for a half a pound a week loss. Of course if you want to lose a pound a week you'd have to double that. But why sweat it? At the rate of 1/2 pound a week you'll still make your goal before summer.It's VERY doable. You can do it.

Just think of a couple of things, or ONE thing that adds up to 250 cals a day and cut that out. Whether it's a few less beers, limit yourself, or whatever it may be.

When I started this diet in 2005, I kept track of how many calories I normally eat in a day. I just ate like I normally do and after about 3 days, I got an average. And then all I did was add 250 a day on top of that. After awhile, I didn't need to keep track of every calorie of everything I ate. I just knew that I'd get that extra 250 cals but adding a few snacks a day.

Carnation Instant Breakfast has been my secret weapon. It might work for you as a meal replacement. I use it to supplement a meal of course. But I really think my "diet" could work for anyone trying to lose weight. I mean the basic concept/approach of it.

Why not try it? You want to lose about what I want to gain. Why not start now and we can track our progress?