Why does God let bad things happen to innocent people?

Alley, that we all take things of this nature with a pinch of salt, is fine. That we all think them amusing, exaggerated and laughable is fine. That we all consider the person's point of view ridiculous, is fine. That we all have our own opinions and verdicts on what they believe, is fine.

With all of this, the most important thing is to never make the person feel ridiculed, undervalued, or disrspected. To erode that person's belief, dignity and slf-respect - whatever their 'state of mind' - is NOT fine.

I'm not suggesting for one moment you are guilty of this. I am merely stating something I believe is of a fundamental importance, with regard to our interaction with any or everyone.

I know. I don't belittle anyone. But I laugh at people all the time. Everyone should be used to getting laughed at by now. My friends situation is just sad. I really miss him, and now I can't even talk to him. We have nothing in common. It's like we are really living on different planets. There is no way to communicate when reality is subjectively in opposition.

I know. I don't belittle anyone. But I laugh at people all the time. Everyone should be used to getting laughed at by now.

Oh I agree with you. And I think laughing at one's self is the most important laughter of all... My point is that the 'laughter' should be Mindful. if it hurts a person's feelings, pride or principles, no matter how much it makes you laugh - it isn't funny....

My friends situation is just sad. I really miss him, and now I can't even talk to him. We have nothing in common. It's like we are really living on different planets. There is no way to communicate when reality is subjectively in opposition.

Different planet is right. When a person succumbs to a mental affliction, they might as well be an alien to us... such is the mystery of the Human psyche.... It's like Autistic savants... they are absolutely detached from the ability to interact with others on a human level, but have an extraordinary ability to do something.... Where the heck does that come from?

And we, as ordinary, intellectual, intelligent, coherent cogitative and analytical human beings, can only stand back and gaze in wonder.....!

Oh I agree with you. And I think laughing at one's self is the most important laughter of all... My point is that the 'laughter' should be Mindful. if it hurts a person's feelings, pride or principles, no matter how much it makes you laugh - it isn't funny....

I don't mind my pride being hurt. Much of who I am is because of the ridicule I have received. And isn't pride one of the seven deadly sins? I'm a big girl.

Different planet is right. When a person succumbs to a mental affliction, they might as well be an alien to us... such is the mystery of the Human psyche.... It's like Autistic savants... they are absolutely detached from the ability to interact with others on a human level, but have an extraordinary ability to do something.... Where the heck does that come from?

And we, as ordinary, intellectual, intelligent, coherent cogitative and analytical human beings, can only stand back and gaze in wonder.....!

I agree with this but this seems like a judgement. Aren't you the one that says we shouldn't judge others believes as subordinary, unintellegent, nonintellectual, incoherent cognition, and unanalytical? Would you dare call my friend crazy behind his back as long as you are not hurting his feelings?

I don't mind my pride being hurt. Much of who I am is because of the ridicule I have received. And isn't pride one of the seven deadly sins? I'm a big girl.

I'm not speaking of the egotistical superior pride the Bible is specifically referencing. I'm speaking of the pride one has in being a member of the human race.... the pride of dignity and self-esteem. This is not necessarily a 'bad' sentiment.... It is also a pride perception of the viewer, not the person themselves. it is their pride from my point of view, not theirs....

I agree with this but this seems like a judgement. Aren't you the one that says we shouldn't judge others believes as subordinary, unintellegent, nonintellectual, incoherent cognition, and unanalytical?

You misunderstand me... Again, I am speaking of two different states of Mind... those who would bracket themselves in the 'sane' category, can only gaze in wonder at those categorised in the 'mentally afflicted' category.... I have not personally created these terms, they existed already. I have seen programmes and documentaries on people such as there, and they prove themselves to be precious, remarkable and wonderful people.

But in my view, there is no difference between 'them' and 'us'! Every human being is a precious individual, with inherent characteristics that render them deserving of Love, Compassion and Understanding.

And I do mean everyone. Everyone. Regardless.

Would you dare call my friend crazy behind his back as long as you are not hurting his feelings?

No, Never. Not to his face, nor behind his back. Why would I?

You misunderstand me... Again, I am speaking of two different states of Mind... those who would bracket themselves in the 'sane' category, can only gaze in wonder at those categorised in the 'mentally afflicted' category

But almost every single person conciders themselves sane subjectively, and groups others incorrectly as insane.

But in my view, there is no difference between 'them' and 'us'

I agree, except that we all group ourselves as sane, when some of us have to be crazy.

Every human being is a precious individual, with inherent characteristics that render them deserving of Love, Compassion and Understanding.

I agree. Like my Chrisitan co-worker whose head might explode if she lost her faith. I have compassion and understand that she is so indoctrinated into the faith of her upbringing that she is incapable of losing it. It wouldn't matter if she even learned and accepted the evolution of life, her faith would be unshaken. While I have compassion for her, group her into that group that catagory of people that are with control over their beliefs.

Quote:

Would you dare call my friend crazy behind his back as long as you are not hurting his feelings?

No, Never. Not to his face, nor behind his back. Why would I?

I thought it was implied. You seemed to be calling some people subordinary, unintellegent, nonintellectual, incoherent cognition, and unanalytical, by suggesting that we were the opposite. To me that is the same as crazy. Didn't want you to get banned like shadow. :rolleyes:

Again, I would merely indicate that categorising people has already been done, and not by me. I was merely referencing these categories. I don't necessarily agree with them, because at the end of the day, they are just labels.... but we all need some kind of 'box' to fit into, and we all use labels to describe ourselves and others.... Housewife, professor, Geishawhelk, Christian, Buddhist, sane, insane, cousin, wife, mother, Alleycat77, priest....

All label, all categories, They describe what we do, but cannot define Who We Are....

do you see what I mean...?

Ah....

Shadow.... dear me.

"There is nothing Good nor Bad but that thinking makes it so...."

Shakespeare.

I agree. But I was not condemning you for using those labels. It's a part of using language, as you have suggested. The labels exist and they are for the using if they are the most accurate label. And it is ok if it is your opinion that people who see demons have an "incoherent cognition". You could be wrong, but I agree with you. I tell my friend he is crazy to his face because I want him to understand that what he sees is only a figment of his imagination. Otherwise he will try and walk across busy interstate highways blindfolded, like he used to. (angels protect him)

And therein lies the problem of labels... You see your friend as 'crazy'and you tell him so... but perhaps his concept of the word is decidedly different...!

You obviously mean well, and as you say, it's for his own protection....

A young boy was killedhere, the other day, fleeing from the police after having stolen a car.... he ran across a busy motorway.

It's good that your friend does not do this, so obviouskly some grain of 'commonly-viewed' sanity took hold....

Oh it is difficult isn't it? particularly when no two people seem to have the same viewpoint....to get your ideas across with respect and courtesy is made all the more difficult when the other doesn't 'play' by these rules!

That is why I, and everyone else, should not take things so personally. Part of having a free exchange of ideas is the promise that you will be insulted. It is nonviolence that we should promote, not holding of tongues.

Of course this is coming from a person that doesn't believe in bad words. Never understood how a label could be profane. I've been called a slut all through high school but it is not the word that hurts, but the distain of my peers.

Another example. I abhor racism. But I don't mind people using racial slurs. Rather than label the person it is meant to describe, it does a better job of labeling the person using it. I am also in favor of people's right to be racist.

And Westboro Baptist Church. I love those guys. I call them all sorts of names.

Faith or faithlessness in god has nothing to do with open mindedness.

I wasn't referring to open-mindedness in this context, not literally, at any rate.

Actually the words faith/faithlessness by definition denote a blind attitude.

What I was trying to say is that any idea, including the idea of an existence or non- existence of a God, are just that - an idea - a human, abtract construct of which their is no tangible evidence.

Bearing in mind the abstract nature of ideas, open-mindedness would mean not diligently adhering to any particular idea - but rather toying with numerous ideas - in search of concrete proof that an idea may indeed be substantiated by scientific truth.

Returning to the original question, what does the creature in this video tell us about God?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsD4h9IBGZs&NR=1

Yes, it is beautiful. But what is at the core of its nature? What kind of God made this?

Nothing has gone awry here. It is doing precisely what it must do, what it does every day of its life. If we believe, then all the elements that form this creature began in the mind of our God.

The Tyger

by William Blake

(1794)

Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

In the forests of the night,

What immortal hand or eye

Could frame thy fearful symmetry?

In what distant deeps or skies

Burnt the fire of thine eyes?

On what wings dare he aspire?

What the hand dare sieze the fire?

And what shoulder, & what art.

Could twist the sinews of thy heart?

And when thy heart began to beat,

What dread hand? & what dread feet?

What the hammer? what the chain?

In what furnace was thy brain?

What the anvil? what dread grasp

Dare its deadly terrors clasp?

When the stars threw down their spears,

And watered heaven with their tears,

Did he smile his work to see?

Did he who made the Lamb make thee?

Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

In the forests of the night,

What immortal hand or eye

Dare frame thy fearful symmetry?

Edited by Storyrider

I hope this poster's friend finds it in her heart to live her life using the bad things that happened to her to help others. That is the only reason for them. God is there but he is so misunderstood. Because he is a silent God and has left us to find him thats what we must do.