How do you know your beliefs are right?

Is there no original sin then? Or does this mean that baptism is meaningless? Could religious theologians have been so wrong for centuries upon centuries?

Pardon me, but do I detect a hint of :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: -ness?

"To err is human, to forgive divine"

Great Gazoo
Is there no original sin then? Or does this mean that baptism is meaningless? Could religious theologians have been so wrong for centuries upon centuries?

Very good questions. I think its the pope and some RC realizing they need some compassion in this area considering all the miscarriages and still births and at the same time it may be a shift in thoughts that just because you are not baptized or believe in Jesus that you are going straight to hell, that how you live your life does matter.

People think that the religion that they practice is the right religion is that to say that they do not have an open mind when it comes to worldly matters?

Do they have blinders on when it comes to anothers beliefs

Do they begin to push and shove teachings and thier perspective(not only beliefs) onto others and wind themselves into a tight little ball that is so wound up there is no way to unravel them?

Trialbyfire
Pardon me, but do I detect a hint of :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: -ness?

"To err is human, to forgive divine"

What you detect is a person who doesn't believe that what's right for me, is right for you...

Very good questions. I think its the pope and some RC realizing they need some compassion in this area considering all the miscarriages and still births and at the same time it may be a shift in thoughts that just because you are not baptized or believe in Jesus that you are going straight to hell, that how you live your life does matter.

Let's hope so. I was baptized and raised to Christianity but have fallen away due to the faith pushing and the rigidity of organized religion in general. Original sin has always been a sticking point for me since I can remember.

Great Gazoo

[quote=Trialbyfire;

Let's hope so. I was baptized and raised to Christianity but have fallen away due to the faith pushing and the rigidity of organized religion in general. Original sin has always been a sticking point for me since I can remember.

Well I am a RC and when we had our still born I would never let them tell me where he was going. In our church cemetery they had a special spot for children never baptized, it is outside the fenced area as if they were not allowed with the rest, to me it was grief parents did not need.

I also have been turned off from organized religion at a young age but I still consider myself a RC. I wont let the organization change my beliefs. I always believe some day a little common sense will prevail. That they will realize we are not in the stone age anymore.

Well I am a RC and when we had our still born I would never let them tell me where he was going. In our church cemetery they had a special spot for children never baptized, it is outside the fenced area as if they were not allowed with the rest, to me it was grief parents did not need.

I also have been turned off from organized religion at a young age but I still consider myself a RC. I wont let the organization change my beliefs. I always believe some day a little common sense will prevail. That they will realize we are not in the stone age anymore.

Too tired type:bunny: ;)

What you detect is a person who doesn't believe that what's right for me, is right for you...

LOL, I agree... the 11th commandment should be "Thou shalt keep thy religion to thyself." Err... sadly you can't say it without violating it can you? Oh, a conundrum.

Could religious theologians have been so wrong for centuries upon centuries?

The Bunnies thing was just an observation, the quote above sounded like a challenge. I thought I detected a bit of :bunny: to the challenge. :)

Since I'm not RC and don't follow the original sin concept... it doesn't really affect me. No harm, no foul... I just thought it was funny.

People think that the religion that they practice is the right religion is that to say that they do not have an open mind when it comes to worldly matters?

Do they have blinders on when it comes to anothers beliefs

Do they begin to push and shove teachings and thier perspective(not only beliefs) onto others and wind themselves into a tight little ball that is so wound up there is no way to unravel them?

It's just like any other debate in life. To say "I believe..." is to state a fact, to say "This is the only way to believe..." is an opinion. People often get fact an opinion confused.

I have raised my children to believe whatever they choose to believe, all I ask is that they not only know WHAT they believe, but WHY. Blind faith can be a dangerous thing, especially when someone loses the ability to think for themselves and trusts another to tell them what to believe, and how to believe it.

That is not faith, it is mind control.

Trialbyfire
The Bunnies thing was just an observation, the quote above sounded like a challenge. I thought I detected a bit of :bunny: to the challenge. :)

You know it was one... ;)

Faith is more about a personal relationship with Lord than anything else. more about you talk to Lord daily and consult HIM everything. It is wonderful experience:) : if you invite HIM into heart, He heals you, console you, teach you. The path He directed for me, is the right path, if I follow His advise, then I do everything right on that path.

What does make this a right religion?

Holy Spirit said so. God, Jesus, Holy Spirit, and Bible testify each other.

RecordProducer
The fact that we don't always agree on what is the truth and that some truths cannot be discerned does not mean objective truth doesn't exist.
That's my girl! The idealist romantic. :love::p

The truth that holds a record in avoidance and is most frequently double-standardized is purposefully causing pain to others. From the little gossips to the real criminals, from the wicked hypocrites to the dictators on the highest political positions, this destructive bone-smashing machine works like a perpetuum mobile, fed by human anger, hatred, and intimate frustrations.

There are no words in the dictionary that can disguise the perversion of the human mind.

• Author
VirtualInsanity
I don't think that anyone's belief system is wrong, but what I don't agree with is someone who is so wraped up in thier belief system that they do not have an ipen mind when it comes to somebody eles beliefs.

Why would they have an open mind? They think their right.

This is a loaded Question.

Most will rely on whatever culture they were brought up in. Most western Countries have a strong Christian heritage. People may change their domination within the Christian Faith. By in large they will still remain Christians. They may find some doctrine in a sect that rings true for them. Then they will go to the Book of Choice The Bible, Talmud or Quran to justify their belief system.

Others will seek truths outside the official doctrines of Churches, Masque, Temples and Synagogues.

I am very comfortable and confident in my own beliefs. I feel that there are many paths and all lead to the same place.

Yes I know it's a loaded question.:laugh: Interesting way of looking at it.

And as such, not knowing is the definition of my spiritual beliefs. :)

I agree that extremism/fanaticism are dangerous philosophies.

Faith is more about a personal relationship with Lord than anything else. more about you talk to Lord daily and consult HIM everything. It is wonderful experience:) : if you invite HIM into heart, He heals you, console you, teach you. The path He directed for me, is the right path, if I follow His advise, then I do everything right on that path.

What does make this a right religion?

Holy Spirit said so. God, Jesus, Holy Spirit, and Bible testify each other.

If it is a personal relationship why keep trying to shove your relationship down the throats of others?

As for beliefs..... I consider those to be "morals", rights and wrongs. Not based on any one religious system.

You do not need a book to know if you are causing pain or harm to others. You simply need to be aware of it.

Of course you must protect yourself from the pain or harm inflicted by others upon you.

Everybody lives in their own reality. The "truth" isn't necessarily what you, I, or anyone else deems it to be.

Geishawhelk

The thing I find so satisfying about Buddhism is that there is no test of belief, no clouded faith required. it's a question of "come and see for yourself" and not "Have Faith and believe." The Buddha (a simple and ordinary man, and nothing else) was adamant that all data should be digested, dissected, scrutinised, torn to pieces and absolutely shredded before anyone would accept it, or leave it aside as not relevant to them. He included his own teachings in this, and advised against a belief or faith in something not so treated.

He came up with what in Buddhism are called The Four Noble Truths,and the Four Dharma seals - and anyone closely following Buddhism and having studied them will tell you that after much thought and consideration, they are the primary Eight statements in Buddhist teachings that are indisputable.

But as I'm not here to proselytise or preach - just answering the question in my own way - if you want to know more, you can either ask me privately, or Google the stuff.

Either way, I thank you all for listening. :)

The thing I find so satisfying about Buddhism is that there is no test of belief, no clouded faith required. it's a question of "come and see for yourself" and not "Have Faith and believe." The Buddha (a simple and ordinary man, and nothing else) was adamant that all data should be digested, dissected, scrutinised, torn to pieces and absolutely shredded before anyone would accept it, or leave it aside as not relevant to them. He included his own teachings in this, and advised against a belief or faith in something not so treated.

He came up with what in Buddhism are called The Four Noble Truths,and the Four Dharma seals - and anyone closely following Buddhism and having studied them will tell you that after much thought and consideration, they are the primary Eight statements in Buddhist teachings that are indisputable.

But as I'm not here to proselytise or preach - just answering the question in my own way - if you want to know more, you can either ask me privately, or Google the stuff.

Either way, I thank you all for listening. :)

Well, Buddhism has had its radical/fundamentalist sects like other religions, but generally speaking, I get the impression you are right. I think the Buddhists want you to explore Buddhism and to be involved in the religion, and there is some degree of proselytization as it is practiced in societies that are Buddhist, but the key difference is this belief in heaven and hell, judgment between the righteous and the condemned. I think this is what makes Christianity and Islam so potent if placed in the wrong hands (which it frequently is).

Geishawhelk

cant argue with the fundamentalist aspect you cite, amerikajin...Suffice to say I have nothing to do with that! But of all the world's six major Religions, Buddhism is the only one that resolutely does not subscribe to a fixed, all powerful deity. Sure, there are 'Gods' but these are known to be representative manifestations of our own convoluted emotions, or of specific conditions we cling to as illusory attachments....We do not have a God to whom we pray, confess, or whom we fear through promise of Heaven/Threat of hell....

(Sorry...blah blah blah.....) :o

We actually have a living God, some people talk to God daily. There is a living being living inside of us, direct our path, teach us about true God, and love, and other issues in life.

And God answers prayers:) :bunny::love: everything happens for a reason

Geishawhelk

Lonelybird, I am delighted for you that you have found solace and comfort in your faith. it is commendable and I applaud you. Long may it continue to burn as a lively flame in your heart. For my part, my chosen path feels precisely as solid, comforting true and unshakeable for me.

Lonelybird, I am delighted for you that you have found solace and comfort in your faith. it is commendable and I applaud you. Long may it continue to burn as a lively flame in your heart. For my part, my chosen path feels precisely as solid, comforting true and unshakeable for me.

Geishawhelk

Thank you for your comment:D . You are very kind.

by the way, how do buddist go to heaven? just curious:)

If it is a personal relationship why keep trying to shove your relationship down the throats of others?

As for beliefs..... I consider those to be "morals", rights and wrongs. Not based on any one religious system.

You do not need a book to know if you are causing pain or harm to others. You simply need to be aware of it.

Of course you must protect yourself from the pain or harm inflicted by others upon you.

I don't want to shove anything down the throats of anyone. Just if Lord change someone's heart, His words need to be there, exposed, not hide. We cannot change people's heart, only Lord can change people's heart.

People do harms to others all the time, but they don't EVEN think they hurt others. and people do wrong things all the time, but they aren't EVEN aware of that. people think they are doing good things, but in fact they do harm more than good. Look at this forum, count how many ridicule are here from "good people" who they think they are

when other people hurt us, we should step aside, let Lord. we should NOT evil agaist evil; we should good conquer evil. when people do harm to us, we should do good to them rather than harm to them.

But as human being, our flesh produce evil things. If without guidance of Lord, we are hopeless. we can find rest in Lord

Geishawhelk
Geishawhelk

....How do buddist go to heaven? just curious:)

Im going to open a new thread on Questions related to Buddhism, because as a Religion/Creed, we are actually discouraged from proselytising...But if people are curious, we respond....

I shall address your question there, ok? :)

I don't want to shove anything down the throats of anyone. Just if Lord change someone's heart, His words need to be there, exposed, not hide. We cannot change people's heart, only Lord can change people's heart.

People do harms to others all the time, but they don't EVEN think they hurt others. and people do wrong things all the time, but they aren't EVEN aware of that. people think they are doing good things, but in fact they do harm more than good. Look at this forum, count how many ridicule are here from "good people" who they think they are

when other people hurt us, we should step aside, let Lord. we should NOT evil agaist evil; we should good conquer evil. when people do harm to us, we should do good to them rather than harm to them.

But as human being, our flesh produce evil things. If without guidance of Lord, we are hopeless. we can find rest in Lord

If I were to post that only greek people are the chosen, the ones to lead the world to utopia, the only ones that really have any meaning, and you need to claim to be a greek if you want to be in the Great People Club category..... well it is a tad arrogant to do so IMHO. And it is kinda mean. It is the "holier than thou attitude.

I am sorry I cannot agree that our flesh is evil or sinful..... my flesh and bone works to help others.... I have the scars to prove it on that flesh and bone.

I only help those that ask for it, I don't enter without invitation. To me that is rude........... that is one of my beliefs.