How do you honestly feel about over weight people

I know, I don't get that either. It's like on TV as well - Older and larger men don't seem to have any problems staying on air or stations getting complaints...But, put a larger and older woman on air, people write or call in to complain that she should not be on camera.

because men hold women to a higher standard of physical beauty....and women also hold women to an even higher std of physical beauty.

because men hold women to a higher standard of physical beauty....and women also hold women to an even higher std of physical beauty.

I can agree with what men hold women to, but if women are so-called "always in competition with each other", then why would women hold other women to a high standard of beauty?

• Author
Blue Phoenix

--"Anyway, I am too busy getting steamed over bad spellars"-- I know me too GURRRRR LOL..

I've been on both sides of the debate, and I have to be honest. It was a lot easier being thin that fat.

Until about 3rd grade I was always the shortest kid in my class, and after 3rd grade I was the shortest and often the fattest. Being the fat kid sucks. PE teachers have a particular brand of hate reserved only for the overweight kids. It was so bad that starting in 10th grade I REFUSED to attend PE at all. They threatened to flunk me, suspend me, all kinds of things but I still refused.

I actually had a boy set me up with a friend of his and when we met I heard him turn around and say "You didn't tell me she was fat" I was devastated... My first boyfriend dumped me saying I was a fat slob.

Somewhere in between ninth and tenth grade I stopped eating and started walking everywhere. I went from over 170 to under 110 in one summer. By the time I moved in with my Grandmother I was a too thin 102 lbs.

I can tell you that people treated me much differently. The boy who dumped me hit on me constantly. In fact when I was overweight boys pretty much ignored me. I had a lot of crushes but they were often flat out mean to me.

Then I lost weight and had tons of boyfriends. One right after the other... I remember being flattered by the attention, but being very confused as well. I was still the same person, nothing on the inside had changed.

I stayed thin until I had my first child, I gained 50 lbs with each pregnancy and lost most but not all each time. As it stands now I am about 50 lbs overweight, but it doesn't really bother me. Guys still hit on me, People are still nice to me... my kids make fun of me because I jiggle a bit, but it doesn't really bother me.

So my views on overweight people come from my own emotions. I have a very good friend who is very obese, and I get mad when people comment on it. She is beautiful, she has these crystal blue eyes that are amazing, and she is the kindest most caring person I have ever met.

I feel sad for the people I don't know that are overweight, the only thing I've ever noticed is that watching a severly overweight person eat is often uncomfortable. But people are people, and they all deserve the same amount of respect as far as I'm concerned.

Who am I to judge anyone?

You don't need to feel pitty for us were not lepors or canser pashents were larger people. Do you feel pitty for black people or gay people or any other minority chances are no.

Not the same thing. One does not choose one's ethnicity, but one (within certain parameters) chooses one's weight. Absent some compelling medical reason (probably < 5% of the obese population), being morbidly obese is a choice.

Also, your posts prove that, like most addicts, you are mired in self-deception. When you say "I do agree there are elevated risks but not every over weight person is going to drop dead because of it", you gloss over millions of man years of actuarial data that clearly shows the health risks involved in being severly overweight. Insurance companies are in business to sell a product, and yet they often refuse to provide coverage to morbidly obese applicants. Why? Because they know that, in general, they would be paying out sooner rather than later. And yet every 100 lb overweight person, just like every smoker, thinks that they will beat the odds.

So no, fat people don't deserve our scorn, pity, ridicule or taunts. But they should also be realistic about the price that they ask themselves, their SO's and society to pay for their over-eating...

Mr. Lucky

If you had to pick one or the other...what would you perfer to be???

OBESE

or

Anorexic

I would rather be obese, reason being that although not able to move as freely and other limitations, the benefits supercede a person with Anorexia.

Now, it would be interesting to find out what y'all think. Do tell.

Not the same thing. One does not choose one's ethnicity, but one (within certain parameters) chooses one's weight. Absent some compelling medical reason (probably < 5% of the obese population), being morbidly obese is a choice.

Also, your posts prove that, like most addicts, you are mired in self-deception. When you say "I do agree there are elevated risks but not every over weight person is going to drop dead because of it", you gloss over millions of man years of actuarial data that clearly shows the health risks involved in being severly overweight. Insurance companies are in business to sell a product, and yet they often refuse to provide coverage to morbidly obese applicants. Why? Because they know that, in general, they would be paying out sooner rather than later. And yet every 100 lb overweight person, just like every smoker, thinks that they will beat the odds.

So no, fat people don't deserve our scorn, pity, ridicule or taunts. But they should also be realistic about the price that they ask themselves, their SO's and society to pay for their over-eating...

Mr. Lucky

I wouldn't necessarily argue with any of the facts of what you're saying. But I do think as a society we are overly obsessed with health, to the point that things like being overweight or smoking are viewed as moral transgressions. A lot of our other social/moral taboos are gone so we have to have someone to judge. Fat people are an easy target for people to judge because the results of their choices and/or weaknesses are so manifest in their appearance. But many of us have other, more hidden weaknesses. Each and every one of us has some kind of shortcoming or weakness. It is just the bane of people whose vice is to overeat that their particular "sin" is apparent for all to see. Sucks for them.

I wanted to see how people whould react to a actual obese persons point of view about it.

--"My first reaction is usually pity or sorrow"-- This is the exact kind of mind set that I hope some day can be changed. You don't need to feel pitty for us were not lepors or canser pashents were larger people.

I hear alot of encouragemnt basickly to lose the weight but I ask you all this why should we have to lose the weight so we can be excepted beter by every one??

No dont feel pitty for me im a happy well adjusted person whos more comfey in my body then most skinney people feel sad for sociaity in genral and the way its still excepted to treat us!!

The point I was trying to make - the point that my obese friend who lost weight brought up - was that losing weight allowed her to relax her mind. She no longer worried what people thought of her - whether they pitied her, were disgusted by her, whatever. She no longer had the defensiveness and low-level anxiety that her weight caused her.

More specifically - you wouldn't have to start a thread like this, wondering what people thought and trying to clarify their impressions and beliefs if you weren't somewhat anxious or upset about it. It's this kind of thing that I feel pity for - that you may be comfy with your body size, but your mind is occupied with what society is thinking of you. If you didn't have to consider that every time you walked out the door, you'd feel a lot easier.

Of course, now that I say that, I realize people have that anxiety about all kinds of things having to do with appearance...breast size, nose size, hair color, wrinkles, what makes someone HOT or not. So I guess none of us are truly free of that, no matter what we look like.

The point I was trying to make - the point that my obese friend who lost weight brought up - was that losing weight allowed her to relax her mind.

Hence the old saying, "That's a weight off my mind."

The difference between minorities like blacks or Latinos is that they can't choose to be white or Asian. We are the race we were born. I do understand there are some cases where it may be harder to lose weight, like thyroid conditions. However, I refuse to believe that the majority of the obese are incapable of losing weight and are always doomed to be that way. Babies are not born at an unhealthy weight, so something happens in life that makes us become that way.

The difference between minorities like blacks or Latinos is that they can't choose to be white or Asian. We are the race we were born. I do understand there are some cases where it may be harder to lose weight, like thyroid conditions. However, I refuse to believe that the majority of the obese are incapable of losing weight and are always doomed to be that way. Babies are not born at an unhealthy weight, so something happens in life that makes us become that way.

I agree. If medical science progressed to the point that parents could choose their child's race or etnicity, I think African American parents would still choose to have black children, Asian parents would choose Asian children, etc. Now, if you could "pre-engineer" your child's body type, how many morbidly obese parents would choose for their child to be that overweight?

Mr. Lucky

what it basically comes down to is the skinny person can fake being an obese person by putting on a fat suit and makeup while the obese person can never pretend to be a skinny person.

Obesity would only be a sexual relationship issue for me--a matter of aesthetics. As far as friendship, work colleagues, etc., obesity is a non-issue so long as the OP (Obese Person) and I have personal chemistry.

I don't blame, hate or dislike OP's. I just won't sleep with them.

• Author
Blue Phoenix

--"Also, your posts prove that, like most addicts, you are mired in self-deception"-- Ummm ok im lost what exactly am I supose to be addicted to here?? Oh thats right must be food since im fat ha yet another myth exposed??.. --"More specifically - you wouldn't have to start a thread like this, wondering what people thought and trying to clarify their impressions and beliefs if you weren't somewhat anxious or upset about it"-- Nope belive it or not I actualy just started this thread to maybe give others some insight into obese people. And maybe hopefuly help break the sterio types a bit but it seams pounded and engrained in maney peoples minds that were just lazy or "addicted" lmao or I guess just not as worthey of normal treatment as every one else. Nope I'm not isecure at all and I'm wondering if that in itself dosent seam to anoy some. I mean after all thin is IN no? lol.. I'm sorry I'm not trying to attack any one here its just frustrating how in this day and age discrimanation like this is still accepted and then valladted by useing the health excuse. Yes black people cant choose to be black and same for latinos and so on but what about gay people?? In theroy they can choose to be gay or not what about people with tons of tattos or body piercings many may find that disturbing and can lead to health probs as well. But yet neither of those 2 minoritys are putdown for it like over weight people are no?? And just like I had said earler about gay people they spread STDs more then stright people do so far as the health issues isent that just as bad?? But yet no one has commented on that intresting maybe because they might have to admit I have a point there. Look granted over weight people may have a higher risk for health issues yes but then again dose that condone treating them the way some people do?? If you anser yes then im sorry but your no diffrent then any other biggit who disrimanates agenst people only diffrence is your hideing it behind a socialy exceptable excuse health.. I never was arguring the health matters of being obese I was arguring the way we in genreal as people are treated..

I don't blame, hate or dislike OP's. I just won't sleep with them.

Thats rediculous! Its like saying you don't hate or dislike minorities but you wouldn't want one as a neighbour.

Thats rediculous! Its like saying you don't hate or dislike minorities but you wouldn't want one as a neighbour.

Thats totally different.

He just may not be attracted to the obese, but he can still like them as friends or as good people.

• Author
Blue Phoenix

--"I do understand there are some cases where it may be harder to lose weight, like thyroid conditions. However, I refuse to believe that the majority of the obese are incapable of losing weight and are always doomed to be that way"-- This is what I dont get why dose every one have to force the idea that unless you lose the weight you wont be happy. I am happy granted I dont like the way some narrow minded biggets treat over weight people .But wait they have every right to treat us like scum right because were diffrent then the norm. Thats right I should just except that they have every right to do that because im unhealthey in there eyes Yea right.. Again people who hide behind the health issue and use it as a cruch to valadate the poor treatment of obese people are no better then those who put down any other race!!

Trialbyfire

I do think there is prejudice against obese people. Society does see them as having an addiction, no self control or having issues in general. It's a never-ending cycle of prejudice versus self-esteem. If you don't feel welcome, you will act accordingly.

On the flip side, people who are above average in physical beauty tend to get ahead more quickly in life. It doesn't speak well for our superficial society, in my opinion.

• Author
Blue Phoenix

--"I don't blame, hate or dislike OP's. I just won't sleep with them"-- Nothing wrong with what hes saying I compleatly understand. Not every ones attraced to over weight people. Just like not every ones attraced to black latino or maney other diffrent races dosent make them bad just honest.

• Author
Blue Phoenix

--"I do think there is prejudice against obese people. Society does see them as having an addiction, no self control or having issues in general. It's a never-ending cycle of prejudice versus self-esteem. If you don't feel welcome, you will act accordingly.

On the flip side, people who are above average in physical beauty tend to get ahead more quickly in life. It doesn't speak well for our superficial society, in my opinion"-- Thank you Trialbyfire this was right at the heart of what I'm trying to point out in the 1st place. Also gives me hope that maybe some day every one can open there eyes and except us the same as any one else..

I can say that because I've been there! I was at one time 250 lbs and 5'7''. I was miserable, not only because of my appearance but I felt awful all the time. You will not enjoy as full a life if you are extremely overweight (I'm talking about unhealthily overweight, not just a little chunky)

--"I do understand there are some cases where it may be harder to lose weight, like thyroid conditions. However, I refuse to believe that the majority of the obese are incapable of losing weight and are always doomed to be that way"-- This is what I dont get why dose every one have to force the idea that unless you lose the weight you wont be happy. I am happy granted I dont like the way some narrow minded biggets treat over weight people .But wait they have every right to treat us like scum right because were diffrent then the norm. Thats right I should just except that they have every right to do that because im unhealthey in there eyes Yea right.. Again people who hide behind the health issue and use it as a cruch to valadate the poor treatment of obese people are no better then those who put down any other race!!
You will not enjoy as full a life if you are extremely overweight (I'm talking about unhealthily overweight, not just a little chunky)

everyone know this already, including skiinny and obese people

Fat people rule. You won't be laughing when there is a nuclear war, and the only thing that's not radioactive is tinned spinach.

the op started a thread asking how we honestly feel about overwieght people and then argues after every point. it now comes out she started the thread to prove that fat people arnt lazy, unhealthy, and that maybe they like being fat and wouldnt chose to be skiny if they could and before we make fun of fat people we should think about how gay people spread std's and the darkness of minorities skin. Look I personaly dont give to craps about fat people, yes I'll make fun of them, yes I think its gross, I would never want to be that fat myself. Personaly I would make fun of a fat person for being fat but only if they insulted me first. I dont think I would ever have sex with a morbidly obese woman, just because I'm so good at getting them really hott body ones. I would be fine being friends with a really fat person and wouldnt bother my friend about it but if they asked me if I think its fine to be super fat I'd say no. If I ever have kids I wouldnt want them to be really fat. yes its uncomfortable to watch a fat person eat, even when they eat something healthy like brocoli but especialy if they are eating any kind of sweets or fatty food. You want my oppinion try to lose weight by eating healthy and excersising and if ur doing that and ur still fat just keep doing it and at least you tried, because for a gay person who was spreading disease I would say use condoms and dont have so many different sexual partners, and as for black people that **** is hilariouse but only black comedians and black rappers can talk about that stuff, and yes racism still exists whats ur point theres alot of fat blacks

November-Rain
the op started a thread asking how we honestly feel about overwieght people and then argues after every point. it now comes out she started the thread to prove that fat people arnt lazy, unhealthy, and that maybe they like being fat and wouldnt chose to be skiny if they could and before we make fun of fat people we should think about how gay people spread std's and the darkness of minorities skin. Look I personaly dont give to craps about fat people, yes I'll make fun of them, yes I think its gross, I would never want to be that fat myself. Personaly I would make fun of a fat person for being fat but only if they insulted me first. I dont think I would ever have sex with a morbidly obese woman, just because I'm so good at getting them really hott body ones. I would be fine being friends with a really fat person and wouldnt bother my friend about it but if they asked me if I think its fine to be super fat I'd say no. If I ever have kids I wouldnt want them to be really fat. yes its uncomfortable to watch a fat person eat, even when they eat something healthy like brocoli but especialy if they are eating any kind of sweets or fatty food. You want my oppinion try to lose weight by eating healthy and excersising and if ur doing that and ur still fat just keep doing it and at least you tried, because for a gay person who was spreading disease I would say use condoms and dont have so many different sexual partners, and as for black people that **** is hilariouse but only black comedians and black rappers can talk about that stuff, and yes racism still exists whats ur point theres alot of fat blacks

I agree 100% !!!