How do you honestly feel about over weight people

the funniest thing about restaurants (both fast & regular) is that the healthiest items on their menus are also usually the most expensive ones. thats even less incentive to eat healthy.

yesterday I got a Chix BLT salad and a lg. chili from Wendys. It was almost $7.00 and had no drink. I could have save $2 by getting the cheeseburger combo that had fries & drink but double triple the fat.

Yeah but $7 is pretty much nothing to start, plus you aren't poor.

I agree though about prices, healthier things are almost always more expensive, that goes for restaurants and the grocery store.

the funniest thing about restaurants (both fast & regular) is that the healthiest items on their menus are also usually the most expensive ones. thats even less incentive to eat healthy.

Not hard to figure, as protein (chicken, beef, fish, etc.) and vegetables are more expensive commodities than starch fillers like bread, pasta, etc.

Usually, you get what you pay for :)

Mr. Lucky

Well, I tried to read this entire thread but stopped at page three because I couldn't stand the sh*tty grammar anymore.

Anyhoo, I have obese people in my family and the ones that are have horrible attitudes and a "people are out to get me" mentality. (They also live like complete slobs, but that is another story). That is what turns people off, not their obesity.

I find it hard to believe when anyone says something like "yes, I am 100 pounds overweight but I eat in moderation and exercise!" Please. To just mantain your weight of 250 you would have to consume over 3,000 calories a day.

Oh, and it's interesting how people who claim that being fat is genetic miraculously lose 100 pounds after having gastric bypass surgery. Well duh, you could have lost the weight through portion control instead of cutting your body open. The fact that the weight was lost by having gastric bypass surgery proves it!

Teacher's Pet
Some men like fat women, but I believe that's very rare.

Not in Jersey.

We have entire organizations dedicated to "larger women and their gentleman admirers", as the ads say in all the magazines.

They run regular social events that attract hundreds of people.

I, for one, consider myself the opposite, so to speak.

I'm a "fat guy", who seems to get (comparatively) skinny female admirers.

Don't ask. I don't know how.

It just happens.

-tp

phat ;)

I'm a "fat guy", who seems to get (comparatively) skinny female admirers.

Don't ask. I don't know how.

It just happens.

Maybe they're looking for somebody to feed them :laugh:

Teacher's Pet

For your amusement, I now present myself to you all.

Teacher's Pet:

Height: 5'8"

Weight: 350#

And now, to debunk some of the myths about us "larger folk":

1. "Overweight people aren't athletic or active"

1a. I was a starting player for my old company's softball team, and I had quite the impressive fielding percentage. :) (over 90% in 5 games)

1b. I hold a green belt in Tae-Kwon Do. You can't kick someone in the head if you are inactive. I can. :)

1c. I'm a bartender, and I can easily carry 2-3 cases of beer at a time up 2 flights of stairs without losing my breathe. (Of course, it would be a little more logical to move the cooler upstairs to save time, but, heck, I don't own the place!)

2. "Overweight men don't get skinny women"

2a. Two of my ex's include a county champion athlete and a ballet dancer. :)

And now, my favorite:

"Fat people are lazy"

When was employed full time, I was working 2 (and briefly 3) jobs, and working out 3-4 times a week on top of that. I've worked 12-15 hour shifts in restaurants that DON'T allow for any meaningful breaks (i.e. on my feet 95% of that time working)

On top of working those 2-3 jobs and working out, I was dating, enjoying a full social life, AND taking care of my 66yr old mother who needs help with a lot of household-type work due to her breathing (stemming from emphysema and 40+ years of smoking)

And wait? I'm sorry, there's more. I'm a working professional comedian who absolutely has NO problem getting on stage and baring myself (verbally/emotionally) to 100,200, even 500 people. And NO, I barely talk about being overweight. It's all about SEX, baby. ;)

I've spent PLENTY of time on national television, including shows you've probably watched. I'd bet many of you have even seen me at least once, somehow, somewhere, and don't even know it. :)

Why am I "boasting" like this?

Because the "common theme" of this thread is that overweight/obese people are sad, inactive people with no "zest for life" and no "ambition" that deserve pity.

Now, I WILL say, when I see an obese person in a wheelchair, or some other medically-impaired form, yes, I do feel bad for that person. Sadly, there are those who are overweight who don't do anything about it, and eventually their bodies to start to "break down" because of it. Do I "pity" them? I don't know if I'd call it that, but then again, I feel bad for anyone in a wheelchair, regardless of the reason.

Trust me, I don't want anyone's pity, nor do I ask for it. :) I'm 35, have a full life (yeah, I wish I was working right now, but that's a different story), amazing friends, (at times) an INCREDIBLE sex life, and more energy that probably any 3 people you know combined.

I'm not a "skinny person in a fat person's body" either, as someone once called me.

I'm a good, decent, hardworking, caring, physically active person, who just happens to need a mirror to wipe his own ass. (That's what we call HUMOR, people, don't call Richard Simmons on me quite yet!)

In fact, today, I'm going bowling, job hunting, and then playing 2 poker tournaments tonight (live, not online - online is for the lazy ones!), and maybe if I feel like it, calling the 23yr old to see if she wants to come out and play. That is, if she isn't too tired to keep up with a 350lb, 35yr. old man with a bit of a "pouch", and a whole lot of something else :)

So guys, next time you are walking down the street and see a very overweight guy, don't think bad of him, or pity him, or taunt him. Especially not taunt.

Some of us could probably kick your ass. :) *flexes*

And ladies, next time you are in a club and see an overweight guy and think to yourself "No way, never, nuh uh", just remember one thing:

We don't get this way because we are against.... eating.

And trust me, my appetite isn't limited to the McDonald's Dollar Menu. ;)

And hey, after we're done, we're soft enough to snuggle against so you can sleep it off. ;)

That is, until we wake you up for round 2.... if you can handle it. :)

Well, there's my 2 cents worth, I have a pig on the spit to baste.

-tp

sexy, and I mean VERY sexy fat guy who can probably kick your man's ass, and still find the strength to curl your toes once in a while. ;)

Teacher's Pet
Maybe they're looking for somebody to feed them :laugh:

Oh, the women I date..... consider them well nourished. :)

None of the women I've dated ever had a protein deficiency. ;)

-tp

high protein, packed with goodness

You can talk all you want but the fact is, if your BMI is higher than 25, then you are overweight, which is unhealthy. Period. There's no discussion around that..

Now, in reagards to your post, Teacher's Pet, you do seem pretty active from what you've described and seem to have a nice lifestyle. Most people who are this active tend to be skinny because having such a full schedule requires lots of running around, or at least it doesn't leave you the time to overeat. If you are indeed as active as you say you are, why do you weigh 350lbs? I don't mean to be condescending or offensive in any way, but this just doesn't seem logical to me. If you're very active and eat healthy, and are still overweight, then you might have a medical problem that you are not aware of. What does your doctor say about your weight?

Teacher's Pet
You can talk all you want but the fact is, if your BMI is higher than 25, then you are overweight, which is unhealthy. Period. There's no discussion around that..

Now, in reagards to your post, Teacher's Pet, you do seem pretty active from what you've described and seem to have a nice lifestyle. Most people who are this active tend to be skinny because having such a full schedule requires lots of running around, or at least it doesn't leave you the time to overeat. If you are indeed as active as you say you are, why do you weigh 350lbs? I don't mean to be condescending or offensive in any way, but this just doesn't seem logical to me. If you're very active and eat healthy, and are still overweight, then you might have a medical problem that you are not aware of. What does your doctor say about your weight?

I never said being overweight wasn't healthy. Of course it isn't.

Am I the picture of health? Absolutely not.

As for me being "active and overweight", it's because it's such a stereotype that an overweight person is automatically "inactive". Yes, the majority of overweight people are inactive, but it's not a given, just as much as assuming someone is skinny because they "live at the gym".

I suffer from a thyroid condition that makes it difficult for me to lose weight. I CAN lose weight, but because my body doesn't process food (and technically exercise) properly, being active for the pure sake of weight loss is an uphill battle. Keeping active keeps me feeling good, which is the TRUE sign of health, not the #'s on a scale.

Yes, I would say technically I'm not in as good health as someone 100lbs less than me, but it's very much in error to assume I'm going to drop dead tomorrow, either.

I'm 35, my blood pressure has NEVER been "above normal", my cholesterol USED to be a problem (I ate lots of fried food, I admit it!), but last time I had it checked it was within a reasonable range for my age (I RARELY eat fried food anymore), and my heart rate is consistant with someone in their 30's.

For a "fat guy", I'm in great shape, that doesn't mean fat IS healthy, but it doesn't mean a person is doomed to living a life of sickness, either.

I take care of myself the best I can, I tend to watch what I eat (except when I go out, I fully believe in enjoying life - though I eat low fat/high protein at home), I don't smoke, rarely drink, and workout as much as I can, including cardio AND weight training.

Of course, my doctor wants to see me drop a lot of weight, and I'm slowly getting there, but to speed that up would require an unreasonable amount of exercise - and yes, there IS such a thing as too much exercise!

I'm quite happy with the "slow and steady" approach. :)

-tp

wanna rub my belly?

I suffer from a thyroid condition that makes it difficult for me to lose weight. I CAN lose weight, but because my body doesn't process food (and technically exercise) properly, being active for the pure sake of weight loss is an uphill battle. Keeping active keeps me feeling good, which is the TRUE sign of health, not the #'s on a scale.

Well see, that explains it. It's just that in your post you seemed to make it seem as though being overweight was perfectly normal. It clearly isn't, unless you're suffering from a medical condition which makes it difficult to lose weight. In that case yes, it makes perfect sense that you're very active. But other than the exception of medical conditions, no overweight person will ever make me believe that they're leading an active lifestyle with moderate eating habits, that would just be denial.

Teacher's Pet
Well see, that explains it. It's just that in your post you seemed to make it seem as though being overweight was perfectly normal. It clearly isn't, unless you're suffering from a medical condition which makes it difficult to lose weight. In that case yes, it makes perfect sense that you're very active. But other than the exception of medical conditions, no overweight person will ever make me believe that they're leading an active lifestyle with moderate eating habits, that would just be denial.

It's not "perfectly normal", but at the same time, at least in my case, it's not a "death sentence", either.

You'd be surprised at what % of overweight people simply CAN'T lose the weight due to medical conditions. I'd easily say at least 25%.

-tp

a big man in a small person's world

It's not "perfectly normal", but at the same time, at least in my case, it's not a "death sentence", either.

You'd be surprised at what % of overweight people simply CAN'T lose the weight due to medical conditions. I'd easily say at least 25%.

-tp

a big man in a small person's world

Well I don't know the statistics so you might have a point... I don't think that fat people should be villified or anything, but I also don't think that it's OK to simply just pretend that if somebody's fat, then it must not be their fault, because so many of these people are soooooooooooooooooooo in denial. Like I knew this woman back at the other place where I used to work... She'd come in in the morning with a huge fast food breakfast full of fries and sausage and god knows what else.... okay whatever, do as you please as long as my office doesn't stink..... but then at the slightest conversation you'd try to have with her, she'd always make a POINT of telling you how shes SO HEALTHY and SO ACTIVE.. Yeah.. right.

My point is we shouldn't hand more excuses to those people who are in denial. If you don't wanna talk about it the same way that I don't wanna talk about my smoking, then that's fine. But if you are, then don't pretend that all's fine and you're as healthy as can be!!

bridget_jones

don't take this the wrong way, TP, but I notice you tend to let everyone know how virile and how good in bed you are, and how much women want to give you bj's, etc. See, men I date don't have to proclaim this to the world. It's almost like you have a need to convince people of this. Sorry but why should I believe you are so awesome in bed than men I've dated simply because you exclaim that you could kick their ass in that arena?

It's like the tough guy mentality that I've heard from overweight men before. I knew a guy in college like that, he was extremely overweight and felt the need to let me know that EVERY time he had sex with his exgirlfriends, she had an orgasm, no matter what the position. Ummmm, OK, thanks for sharing...have you ever heard of faking it? Also if you're dating someone they're going to be enthusiastic anyway.

bridget_jones
Well I don't know the statistics so you might have a point... I don't think that fat people should be villified or anything, but I also don't think that it's OK to simply just pretend that if somebody's fat, then it must not be their fault, because so many of these people are soooooooooooooooooooo in denial. Like I knew this woman back at the other place where I used to work... She'd come in in the morning with a huge fast food breakfast full of fries and sausage and god knows what else.... okay whatever, do as you please as long as my office doesn't stink..... but then at the slightest conversation you'd try to have with her, she'd always make a POINT of telling you how shes SO HEALTHY and SO ACTIVE.. Yeah.. right.

My point is we shouldn't hand more excuses to those people who are in denial. If you don't wanna talk about it the same way that I don't wanna talk about my smoking, then that's fine. But if you are, then don't pretend that all's fine and you're as healthy as can be!!

I am SOOO healthy, my doctor says I'm fine, I have been tested for cholesterol...etc...the obese person's mantra. I have met many people like this.

amaysngrace

This thread is like a bad penny too...it won't go AWAY...

Anyway, I still stand by my initial observation. Fat people overeat because they are self-medicating a deeper emotional issue.

Not all, but the majority of them.

So....they need a psych eval to get to the heart of the problem IMO. Until they do most of them will continue to battle with their weight throughout their lifetimes.

bridget_jones

Sorry, TP's posts just kinda grossed me out. Especially the blowjob comments, it gave me a visual that...well, is not pleasant.

I believe tp when he says he is good in bed. As Allina said, he seems like an honest guy. And he wouldn't be the first fat guy to be talented in that area, in my experience.

I am a woman of average weight (5 ft. 5 130 pounds). I have dated three men in my life that could be accurately classified as overweight (only one seriously, the other two more in passing) and they were all a lot of fun to mess around with.

I ended up marrying a skinny guy, but it could have happened differently.

I think we are overly obsessed with the issue of weight because it manifests so visually. When people have other problems, such as drinking problems, you can't point to them on the street and say, look at that slob. If someone is beautiful according to society but is mean and nasty, you can't see it on her body, but ultimately it is a worse burden to live with than some extra weight.

Heavenseventeen
you seem very hostile litten up arnt you people suposed to be jolly

Could someone translate that?:lmao:

bridget_jones
If you had to pick one or the other...what would you perfer to be???

OBESE

or

Anorexic

I would rather be obese, reason being that although not able to move as freely and other limitations, the benefits supercede a person with Anorexia.

Now, it would be interesting to find out what y'all think. Do tell.

Anorexic. Then you could eat all you want for a couple weeks until you got up to a healthy weight and still be thin. It would be awesome (those couple weeks.)

Anorexic. Then you could eat all you want for a couple weeks until you got up to a healthy weight and still be thin. It would be awesome (those couple weeks.)

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Or you could die from malnutrition. Maybe you should wish you lived in the Sudan...

:sick: :sick: :sick:

Why not wish you are bulemic too, then you could fertilize your plants while you eat and stay thin.

bridget_jones

Storyrider, I wasn't wishing to be anorexic, it was an interesting question posed by another poster. so I'm not allowed to answer? why am I being criticized for answering the question honestly? So...I didn't give the "pc" answer or something? Sorry.

Interesting how you choose to take my comments completely out of context as a way to criticize. It's not like I just randomly posted "I'd rather be anorexic than obese." I know anorexia is serious disorder. It's not like I want to be that.

That is' date=' if she isn't too tired to keep up with a 350lb, 35yr. old man with a bit of a "pouch", and a whole lot of something else :) [/quote']

Here's the denial part all over again. 5'8" and 350 lbs isn't "a bit of a pouch", it's 175 lbs overweight. Two times your recommended BMI. All of your bragging does not cover up for the fact that you have voluntarily given up 10 to 20 years of life expectancy. Tough to kick ass and make toes curl from the grave...

Mr. Lucky