How do you honestly feel about over weight people

Pink Amulet

And ALL pcs have a spell checker....

:eek: Really?

Where on earth (apart from microsoft word) would I find this?

BP- I am surprised you have so many people disagreeing with you (granted I am one of them) but if you care to look at this thread I started:

http://www.loveshack.org/forums/showthread.php?t=100942

You would see how many people are in defence of obesity... on second thoughts, perhaps the debate was simply fueled by the unprovoked hatred of any thread started by me :laugh:

whichwayisup
I don't know any fat celebrity who is a sex symbol. And no, Rosie or Oprah are not sex symbols.

Anna Nicole Smith.

Pink Amulet

Maybe before she put on weight and was a Playboy model but I thought she became a joke nearing the end of her life?

Obesity is about health, aesthetics, and diminished physical activity. You're making philosophy out of it. Nobody said that skinny equals happy. Healthy and beautiful also doesn't equal happy. But you can't help but feel sorry for any disabled or defective person you see in the street - well, that's more or less how we see people who are very fat. We know their lives sometimes, because we've had friends or acquaintances who're fat and we know how lonely they are, how embarassed they are, how they never get compliments, and how "scary" they look.

Well RP, you can compliment people on more then their looks, first of all. I also have friends who are overweight and I would not assume to KNOW about their lives the same way I would not assume to KNOW about your life as an immigrant to the US.

If we are ignorant about how wonderful it is to be fat, then you're definitely ignorant about how good it feels to be normal-sized, to wear sexy tops and tight jeans, and to worry about your 10 lbs you need to drop - not 110!

I am far from being overweight and am one of the few women I know who enjoys and loves her body as is. I also don't think I used the word ignorant in the post you responded too. Obviously you felt agress by my observation that a lot of people seem to make a link between happiness and bodysize

To me, accepting to look like a giant matza ball is accepting to look retarded.

This statement is biased against both over-weight people and people with disabilities (by the way, people with disabilities can lead a happy life too - and no, I am not saying this because I have a disability).

So you would absolutely encourage your children to be obese?

I would encourage my children to love their bodies, eat well and be active.

If they are bigger then average, I will love them just the same and teach them to accept themselves as they are. I would also have to tell them to be strong in the face of the people out there who make an immediate link between body size and beauty.

Fat is abnormal, ugly, :rolleyes: I don't know any fat celebrity who is a sex symbol. And no, Rosie or Oprah are not sex symbols.

I would also teach my children that they can be more then sex symbols. And that celebrities are not a reference when it comes to finding love and happiness in life.

It's certainly healthier than believing that piling 10 lbs of food in your stomach every day improves the quality of your life.

I disagree. Anorexia and eating disorders are on the rise across the world with damaging health effect. 2 of my 4 coworkers are currently in counselling for eating disorders because their obsession with thinness is ruling their lives.

Gay is OK. Fat is not OK. Some people want to look grotesque and collect applauses for that.

No one wants to collect applause. I think that BP is arguing that we live in a very normative society when it comes to body size where we actually discriminate against people who don't fit the standard. Your posts and comments prove that she is right.

II agree with this, but BP is trying to sell the theory that she is perfectly happy with her weight and if it weren't for us who are not fat, this world would have been a wonderful place to live in.

I am sorry that you feel there is a war between fat and skinny people. There isn't. BP isn't blaming slim bodies for anything, she is advocating for a wider acceptance of body-size variety.

• Author
Blue Phoenix

1st off I really want to thank you Kamile for actualy seeing what the root of what I have been trying to say all along has been and for haveing a open mind even in the face of such intollarance and ingorance. I've been called everyhtng here from addicted to food to retarted and prob a few other sterio types and why because I dared to say I think that obese people should be given the same respect as every one else. No that dosent mean I want apluse or speical treatment I want to be treated with respect just like any one else automatickly gets. Wich just by the responses we have seen here seams to be something that will take a verry long time before just like other forms of disrimantion it is no longer tollarated and accepted. I will not argure with you all and I cirtinaly will not lower myself to call any one names in retalliation for the poor treatment I have receved here. It just speaks for its self and dose prove exactly what I've been saying all along..--"Most dyslexics actually know how to spell dyslexia:"-- Really are you an expert on the subject?? That was nothing more then a crewl and uncalled for remark and you know it but I hope makeing it some how made you feel better about your self..

And ALL pcs have a spell checker.... Again whats the point?? My laptop has probs and it dose not work dont you think I would use it if I could to avoid the taunts I receve?? Again I realy do hope the narrow minded comments serve you well in some way..

RecordProducer
1st off I really want to thank you Kamile for actualy seeing what the root of what I have been trying to say all along has been and for haveing a open mind even in the face of such intollarance and ingorance.
So anyone who says that being overweight is totally fine is open-minded... OK I got it. ;) And those who say that it's unhealthy are ignorant, but those who approve consumtion of deadly quantities of cholesterol and salt are knowledgeable. OK, doing drugs is also fine - that open-minded I am.

I've been called everyhtng here from addicted to food to retarted
I didn't call you retarded, I said that people who weight 400 lbs LOOK like they are retarded. And preferring large amounts of fattening food over good looks and healthy living certainly does imply some kind of addiction or neurosis.

sterio
It's stereo!

I think that obese people should be given the same respect as every one else.
Of course they should! They do do anything wrong to the society, they only do wrong to themselves. But don't expect me to approve suicidal life habits and find obesity attractive. Do YOU find overweight men attractive?

We are all looked down by someone about something. I know it hurts. But the only way to avoid it is to be closer to the norms - or deal with the discrimination. No, you won't be found as atractive as some slim woman. If you want to be - lose weight, don't try to change the world. It's easier to change yourself. If you don't want to change yourself, then don't request from others to be "open-minded" and understand the significance of unhealthy food. And once again, you and everyone else should be treated with respect. No one should tease you about it. But in this thread YOU ASKED FOR SINCERE OPINIONS. IF YOU COULDN'T TAKE THEM, YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE ASKED FOR THEM.

1st off I really want to thank you Kamile for actualy seeing what the root of what I have been trying to say all along has been and for haveing a open mind even in the face of such intollarance and ingorance. I've been called everyhtng here from addicted to food to retarted and prob a few other sterio types and why because I dared to say I think that obese people should be given the same respect as every one else. No that dosent mean I want apluse or speical treatment I want to be treated with respect just like any one else automatickly gets. Wich just by the responses we have seen here seams to be something that will take a verry long time before just like other forms of disrimantion it is no longer tollarated and accepted. I will not argure with you all and I cirtinaly will not lower myself to call any one names in retalliation for the poor treatment I have receved here. It just speaks for its self and dose prove exactly what I've been saying all along..--"Most dyslexics actually know how to spell dyslexia:"-- Really are you an expert on the subject?? That was nothing more then a crewl and uncalled for remark and you know it but I hope makeing it some how made you feel better about your self..

And ALL pcs have a spell checker.... Again whats the point?? My laptop has probs and it dose not work dont you think I would use it if I could to avoid the taunts I receve?? Again I realy do hope the narrow minded comments serve you well in some way..

I am not narrow minded in the slightest. The thing is BP, your continued inconsistencies make me very suspicious of you and your posts.

You can spell some quite difficult words, but not others. Your CHOICE of words suggests someone who is more articulate than they are letting on.

OK so slate me. You haven't read all of my posts, all you see is another person slagging off fat people.

Your narrowmindedness is pretty obvious too! (and not just on this thread I might add)

I don't have a problem PERSONALLY with overweight people. But I DO have a problem with OBESE people WHO INSIST THEY ARE HEALTHY AND THAT THERE ARE NO RISKS ASSOCIATED WITH OBESITY.

I also disapprove with UNDERWEIGHT people who insist they can survive on 500 calories a day, yet tire easily and get cranky because their nutritional needs are not being met. (my workmate)

I disapprove of heavy smokers who are recovering from severe oral cancer but STILL smoke, saying (and I quote verbatim) "the tax I pay on the fags will go towards my next op". (many of my patients)

THE EVIDENCE AND ADVICE IS OUT THERE YET PEOPLE CONTINUE TO IGNORE IT.

At the end of the day, its your life, you do what you want with it.

But if you make unhealthy choices, don't whinge and whine and expect special treatment.

Make your bed, lie in it.

There are far too many self indulgent people out there crying victimisation- this is evidence of a SPOILT society.

There are people out there dying and starving and getting killed.

Life is precious to them.

Harsh but thats life.

I don't have a problem PERSONALLY with overweight people. But I DO have a problem with OBESE people WHO INSIST THEY ARE HEALTHY AND THAT THERE ARE NO RISKS ASSOCIATED WITH OBESITY.

I also disapprove with UNDERWEIGHT people who insist they can survive on 500 calories a day, yet tire easily and get cranky because their nutritional needs are not being met. (my workmate)

I disapprove of heavy smokers who are recovering from severe oral cancer but STILL smoke, saying (and I quote verbatim) "the tax I pay on the fags will go towards my next op". (many of my patients).

well then SB129 you must also disapprove of ALL people who have made bad decisions and are in denial of those decisions. Which would include almost everyone on earth. :)

Hey, I have made some bad decisions, and I know it. Hopefully I have learnt from some of them, but I am human, I will make more.

I don't disapprove of everyone that makes a bad decision, I got a little carried away in my last post.

I object to being called narrowminded, because I am actually a very tolerant person. I have friends of all shapes, colours and sizes.

But as a health professional day in day out I give the same advice to people who ignore it time and time again, yet they moan and groan about the problems that they are getting.

It gets very very tiring, and discouraging, yet I have to just repeat my advice like a broken record.

I see very very sick people who STILL ignore advice.

And I get very tired of people like BP who only hear "discrimination! discrimination!" when people like me point out the factual arguments of the debate.

I don't CARE how big she is.

Its HER life.

If sheis happy, great.

But she asked for opinions, didn't like what she saw, and is now calling alot of us a bunch of narrowminded fat haters.... which is rubbish.

Hey, I have made some bad decisions, and I know it. Hopefully I have learnt from some of them, but I am human, I will make more.

I don't disapprove of everyone that makes a bad decision, I got a little carried away in my last post.

I object to being called narrowminded, because I am actually a very tolerant person. I have friends of all shapes, colours and sizes.

But as a health professional day in day out I give the same advice to people who ignore it time and time again, yet they moan and groan about the problems that they are getting.

It gets very very tiring, and discouraging, yet I have to just repeat my advice like a broken record.

And I get very tired of people like BP who only hear "discrimination! discrimination!" when people like me point out the factual arguments of the debate.

I don't CARE how big she is.

Its HER life.

If sheis happy, great.

But she asked for opinions, didn't like what she saw, and is now calling alot of us a bunch of narrowminded fat haters.... which is rubbish.

Did you hear a while ago about this woman who was obese. Her doctor told her she was obese & needed to lose weight and she sued him for emotional distress because obese is such a negative word. I was shocked a doctor can't even tell you your unhealthy any more. Why bother going!

That is just crazy.

I may sound like an unsympathetic b***h, but to be honest, being an HP in this day and age can be quite stressful.

There is an entire dictionary of words that aren't appropriate, you have to be soooo careful about the things you say to people in case you offend, you can't do this you can't do that, and usually all the rules are made by non clinical staff who sit in offices and never have to work with people.

I actually care about my patients and what happens to them. They pay me for my professional advice and knowledge (which I studied long and hard for), and I respect that and try to be as honest and conscientious as possible. Yet a simple, innocent statement could cost me my career. Or at the very least get me into trouble.

Nobody is willing to take responsibility for themselves today. Its always somebody elses fault.

whichwayisup

It's because they're scared of change. Maybe they're not quite ready get to DO what is required to get them healthy. Fear of the unknown, combo that with the comfort of their life (as it is now), it's easier to NOT do, than to DO.

RecordProducer
THE EVIDENCE AND ADVICE IS OUT THERE YET PEOPLE CONTINUE TO IGNORE IT.

At the end of the day, its your life, you do what you want with it.

But if you make unhealthy choices, don't whinge and whine and expect special treatment.

Make your bed, lie in it.

There are far too many self indulgent people out there crying victimisation- this is evidence of a SPOILT society.

There are people out there dying and starving and getting killed.

Life is precious to them.

Harsh but thats life.

That was a great post, SB. :)
Did you hear a while ago about this woman who was obese. Her doctor told her she was obese & needed to lose weight and she sued him for emotional distress because obese is such a negative word. I was shocked a doctor can't even tell you your unhealthy any more. Why bother going!
So did she win at court? I guess she took at like if you went to a gynecologist and told him you slept with several men during that month without a condom and he told you "sleeping around is risky." He shouldn't have called it sleeping around (slut), he should have said "sleeping with 7 men without protection puts you in higher risk of STD's." See the difference? People want to be morbidly obese, but they want to call themselves "bigger than average" or "a bit heavy". In my language they call themselves "elegantly filled" (is there anything elegant about it?) or "corpulent."

So the doctor should have said "being 200 lbs overweight is unhealthy" and not call her obese, because that word offended her - she doesn't think of herself as obese - she is just a bit heavy. Get it? They are in huge denial and it's a culture thing now. In Europe people who are 20-30 lbs above the average call themselves "fat."

• Author
Blue Phoenix

--"So anyone who says that being overweight is totally fine is open-minded... OK I got it. ;) And those who say that it's unhealthy are ignorant"-- No rp thats not what im saying at all im saying that any one who makes blanket statments and then uses put downs to confirm there ideas is ingorant blanket statment= all over weight people are automatickly unhealthey putdowns= larger people being retarted or looking like matza balls hope that helps helps clear it up a bit for you. I myself have said a dozen times in this thread that yes I agree some times being over weight can lead to heath probs SOMETIMES so no im not just excepting people who state that its ok to always be obese. --"I am not narrow minded in the slightest. The thing is BP, your continued inconsistencies make me very suspicious of you and your posts.

You can spell some quite difficult words, but not others. Your CHOICE of words suggests someone who is more articulate than they are letting on.

I am an intelegent person belive it or not like I have said a few times now I have a disibiablity wich impares my grammer and spelling I will not explain myself again on the subject how ever if you still feel the need to pick apart my writing then please by all means feel free and again I hope you feel better by doing it.. --"The thing is BP, your continued inconsistencies make me very suspicious of you and your posts"-- Hmm thats odd ive been here for a few monthes now and all of a sudden your suspicious of my posts?? in what way?? Thats makes no sence to me im a normal human partisapating in a message bord just like you.. The 2 diffrences are im 1 obese and 2 have a learning disability.. So whats to be suspicious of?? Or maybe since the ingorance about the over weight thing isent working your going to try my disiability but again I guess what ever makes you feel good at the end of the day..

--"And I get very tired of people like BP who only hear "discrimination! discrimination!" when people like me point out the factual arguments of the debate.

I don't CARE how big she is"-- if you honestly dident care how big I am why would you be arguring so adamently about this no you would have came in here and made your statements about how its unhealthey to be obese and gone on your way but no you have sat there time and again and INSISTED that I am unhealthey that to me spaeks more then not careing how big I am.. --"But if you make unhealthy choices, don't whinge and whine and expect special treatment"-- POINT OUT ONE INSTANCE HERE WERE I HAVE ASKED FOR SOME SORT OF SPEICAL TREATMENT BECAUSE I AM OBESE YES PLEASE DO??? I bet you cant because its simply untrue I have asked for the same respect that other people already get do you see that as me whining or wingeing?? or asking for speical treatment??? agin I challange you to go back and find were I have asked for any speical treatment from you or the rest of sociaity just because I am obese????

Whatever makes you feel better Blue Phoenix.

You are the one in denial, not me. I don't care how big you are. You ARE in denial about being healthy, but its your life, do what you want. I am not losing any sleep over it.

Once again you interpret posts in a way that backs up your opinions.

You started this thread, and you get indignant at other peoples opinions.

I am giving you my opinions. That is all.

I have never suggested that YOU personally ask for special treatment. But i know a few obese people who have, and I was merely pointing that out, and the unfairness of it.

• Author
Blue Phoenix

--"Whatever makes you feel better Blue Phoenix:"-- Same to you sb129 glad we at lest agree on something..

--"You are the one in denial, not me. I don't care how big you are. You ARE in denial about being healthy, but its your life, do what you want. I am not losing any sleep over it"-- Thats great to hear me nither I know I'm personaly a healthey happy person..

--"Once again you interpret posts in a way that backs up your opinions.

You started this thread, and you get indignant at other peoples opinions"-- Dont we all do that on some level interpret things?? I'm not indignant at all I am more then happy to listen to other opinions but I will not sit by and alow them to make incorrect ingorant statements about me personaly simply based on how I look sorry if that initself bothers you..

--"I have never suggested that YOU personally ask for special treatment. But i know a few obese people who have, and I was merely pointing that out, and the unfairness of it"-- Again we agree on something dosent it just sux the unfairness of things?? people who ask for speical treatment/sterrio types/ needless ingorance/ yes the world is a verry unfair place I 100% agree..

--"

--"Once again you interpret posts in a way that backs up your opinions.

You started this thread, and you get indignant at other peoples opinions"-- Dont we all do that on some level interpret things?? I'm not indignant at all I am more then happy to listen to other opinions but I will not sit by and alow them to make incorrect ingorant statements about me personaly simply based on how I look sorry if that initself bothers you..

I have not at ANY time made ANY comments about how you LOOK.

YOU have given us the information about your weight, which makes you clinically obese. Which is a health risk. Fact.

I rest my case. Misinterpretation abounds.

PS. There is much more to obesity than how you look!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and there are attractive people out there of all shapes colours and sizes.

Its the strain that it is putting on your internal organs and musculoskeletal system (to name a few things) thats my biggest concern.

right so she should leave her corporate job makeing $90,000/yr for a security guard job making $25,000/yr?

yeh EXACTLY. Money aint everything ya know. U wanna be a whale n live the high life go ahead. I earn enough to live off and save a lil thats all i need and im in insanely good shape..I fit in gym time 3 times a week aswell.

• Author
Blue Phoenix

--"yeh EXACTLY. Money aint everything ya know. U wanna be a whale n live the high life go ahead. I earn enough to live off and save a lil thats all i need and im in insanely good shape..I fit in gym time 3 times a week aswell"-- So you say you go to the gym 3 hole times a week ha?? What a shame you cant seam to excercise you brain as much as the rest of your body becase it seams to be terribly under developed.. You might wanna work on that along with your sit ups and crunchs.. LMAO.. I am obese yes but you are openly ingorant and have the mind of a child GROW UP. Were not in high school any more my friend your shallow attempts to valadate your week biast opinions are nothing less then funny to me.... I would report you for your comments. But I think leaveing them speaks much more for what im saying in genral..Thanks :)

• Author
Blue Phoenix

--"PS. There is much more to obesity than how you look!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and there are attractive people out there of all shapes colours and sizes.

Its the strain that it is putting on your internal organs and musculoskeletal system (to name a few things) thats my biggest concern"-- Yes this I will agree with sb129 there def is more to obesity then how a person looks. But as you can see from our gym loveing friend here most of sociaity dose not look at it that way. They use the health issues to openly put down obese people I think thats ingorance. They are putting people down baised on how they look while justiffying it behind a smoke screen of health issues. Hence the whale comment that right there is what I personaly am argureing agenst. I have openly said I know SOME obese people are unhealthey because of being over weight. I think me and you are not far off in a few of our ideas after all. Bottom line I or any other obese person is not a whale or a pig or any other neg sterrio type people will toss at us. We are human just like any one else on this planet and we deserve the same respect healthey or unhealthey!!!

RecordProducer

WAIT... EVERYONE!

I think I figured out something: Bloe Phoenix just wanted to see if she deserves the same respect as thin people or if we think she deserves to be mocked at. Of course, we - like caring (and mean :laugh:) people - decided to criticize her lifestyle, but she just wanted to know why people would show disrespect out loud because of her obesity.

My answer is: I never show disrespect toward anyone. But in my mind I do feel sorry for fat people.

• Author
Blue Phoenix

--"Bloe Phoenix just wanted to see if she deserves the same respect as thin people or if we think she deserves to be mocked at. Of course, we - like caring (and mean :laugh:) people - decided to criticize her lifestyle"-- RP really give it a rest already will you. The comments you made were not careing ones you equated obese people to giant matza balls and said that they must be retarted to alow them selves to get that way. Were in eather of those 2 comments dose the careing come in?? Can you tell me cause im realy wondering how you see that as careing?? --"My answer is: I never show disrespect toward anyone"-- To me, accepting to look like a giant matza ball is accepting to look retarded.

Realy you dont ha?? Those are YOUR words not mine so dont try and valadate them now you DO show disrespect but that is your choise I supose.. And in my mind I feel sorry for people who make crude comments like the ones you in bad taste have made here. RP your no diffrent then the ingorant poster who compared over weight people to whales no diffrent at all..But again you in your ingorance def help to prove what I've been trying to say all along Thanks for that :)

BP you are kinda cutting down thin people as well. You may not realize it.

You think I am thin because I am so stupid to fall for medical and media hype and the money making machine.

You think I am stupid for thinking that obese people are not healthy.

You seem to think everyone who is thin is out to scream nasty words at fat people.

I don't care if you reach maximum density- but don't think that I will never form an opinion about you if I see you in a scooter at the grocery store, having your kids running around gathering the groceries for you..... I probably won't feel that sorry for you, but I will feel sorry for those kids who has a mother that cannot live a normal life for them because she is obese without having any medical cause to be that way.

RecordProducer
The comments you made were not careing ones
For you "caring" means to tap your shoulder and encourage you to live likethat. Frankly, if you were my friend, I would NEVER mention your weight to you. You know why? Because I don't care about how YOU live YOUR life. I wouldn't want you to get mad at me for stating my honest opinion so I would let you kill yourself without opening your eyes. But if you were my sister, I would tell you all I told you and much worse - because I would sincerely CARE about your wellbeing and it would break my heart to watch my sister doing this to herself. Letting people do what they want is NOT a sign of caring.

you equated obese people to giant matza balls and said that they must be retarted to alow them selves to get that way.
No, I DID NOT SAY THAT!!! And you quoted what I said two lines further: I said that fat people look retarded, not that they ARE retarded. I also think that drunk people look and act stupid, but I don't think they ARE necessarily stupid. And I don't see why the comparison with a giant matza ball or ameat ball offended you so much when this is really how obese poeple look like. So you don't see the layers of fat when you look in the mirror? You don't think that your torse looks like a meat ball, cuz it's wider than it's long?

Feel free to call slim people worms or toothpicks or spaghetti - I don't think anyone will get offended by that.

RP your no diffrent then the ingorant poster who compared over weight people to whales no diffrent at all..But again you in your ingorance def help to prove what I've been trying to say all along Thanks for that :)

And again, I can't believe how it hurts you to hear what people think of your looks, but it doesn't hurt you to look at yourself in the mirror! The only ignorant person here is you - ignorant about how you look and about what you're doing to yourself in medical terms.