My dad just had a stroke

alphamale

• Author
How does he seem to be doing to you, Alpha?

well some damage was done....but as far as stokes go this was a minor one. he has been fully concious thru out and aware of his surroundings and has no loss of memory. he as lost partial use of left arm and hand and left side of his face. besides that he's fairly normal. he can go to bathroom by himself and he can walk without any help. i guess time will tell now....

i can tell he is scared but trying not to show it...

just got back from hosp again... they did an MRI and found a bit of hemorrhaging in the brain from the TPA they gave him last nite. but he is ok considering circumstances. they'll do another CT scan tonite and he'll probably be in the hospital for 3 or 4 more days for observation and rehab. They won't let him sleep cause they need to have him awake to see if there are any changes in his speech and brain functions. Poor guy is so tired and a nurse or doctor or orderly is coming into his room every 10 minutes....

Hopefully these next 72 hours will show that he'll be okay.

Oh I'm sure he's tired, and stressed. How he is handling this? Keep him smilin'.

• Author
What a scary moment. I can see why you'd be freaked, Alpha..

Well I "freaked" internally but not externally...

thanx everyone, posting about this is helping me out.

Well I "freaked" internally but not externally...

It's ok to freak out a bit externally. Even if you are an alpha male.

You

Me

Hmm, maybe I'll slow down abit so you can catch up some more! You're only about 2,000 posts behind me BB!

...Just trying to be funny

laRubiaBonita

how ya doing today Alpha? how's dad?

hope everything turns out well.... it will take some time before you will fully know though. my grandmother (the mega-bitch) had a mild stroke last year, on the bright side it has chilled her out considerably and my gtrandfather does not complain about his minor aches as much, on the down side she does have some memory lapses and can get disoriented/ confused in a store, especially when she is tired.

she also had a really wierd reaction to what ever meds they put her on, she was in this stoned-like state. they took her off that med and she was back. so just watch him and take care of your old man, old man.

love you, and all my best! :love:;)

the_alchemyst
just got back from hosp again... they did an MRI and found a bit of hemorrhaging in the brain from the TPA they gave him last nite. but he is ok considering circumstances. they'll do another CT scan tonite and he'll probably be in the hospital for 3 or 4 more days for observation and rehab. They won't let him sleep cause they need to have him awake to see if there are any changes in his speech and brain functions. Poor guy is so tired and a nurse or doctor or orderly is coming into his room every 10 minutes....

What a difficult situation this must be for the both of you, alpha. I'm so sorry this is happening.

Just try to think that this will be over and done with in the next few days, and that after that, everything will be fully well.

I am sure that you being there with him is helping him immensly. Stay by his side, encourage him, and as WWIU said, make him smile.

In the meantime, let us do the same for you. :)

Stay strong and positive, alpha: All will be well. :)

• Author
Now make sure to look after yourself as well.

I'm trying to...i only had 3 hrs sleep sunday nite and 2.5 hrs sleep tonite. I'm exhausted mentally and physicially. I will give you folks another update on the situation later today after I get back from the hospital.

so sorry to hear alpha! hugs and all the best for a speedy recovery.

try to stay strong and suportive for him, sounds like all will come out ok, hope hope hope... very stressfull times for you, feel for you, was in a similar situation with my dad only a few weeks back, now it all seems like a bad dream...hope will be the same for you soon.

Just read this. Your posts have often highlighted how important your family is to you, alpha, so I can imagine this is causing a lot of stress. Wishing your dad as speedy a recovery as possible.

Sorry to hear this about your dad . You will be in my prayers . Keep us updated to how he is doing. Maybe since it was mild stroke he will recover quicker. Hugs to you Alpha.:love:

well some damage was done....but as far as stokes go this was a minor one. he has been fully concious thru out and aware of his surroundings and has no loss of memory. he as lost partial use of left arm and hand and left side of his face. besides that he's fairly normal. he can go to bathroom by himself and he can walk without any help. i guess time will tell now....

i can tell he is scared but trying not to show it...

That's pretty fortunate that the damage was minimal, Alpha...all things considered.

My heart goes out to you. Sometimes life sucks. I'm sorry yours is sucking right now. XO

he has been fully concious thru out and aware of his surroundings and has no loss of memory. he as lost partial use of left arm and hand and left side of his face. besides that he's fairly normal. he can go to bathroom by himself and he can walk without any help. i guess time will tell now....

that sounds really encouraging, Alpha – and hopefully it means that his recovery will be a bit faster than average.

in the meantime, how are YOU doing?

• Author

well I just talked with my brothers who are at the hospital. since there was some minimal bleeding into the brain they are going to keep him in there for 3 or 4 more days but it will not be in ICU, they'll move him into the stroke unit for observation. He's at one of the best hospitals in Detroit (William Beaumont) so I feel good about that.

I'm going over there later and will report more later tonite.

Thanx for everyone's support, it means a lot.

I am thinking of you and your dad as well Alpha.

Keep us updated.

Taking care of an older parent is hard job I know.

lighthouse

• Author

well i was at the hosp for a few hrs. they are doing some sort of doppler test on his carotid artery tonite to make sure there are no clots there. if that goes OK he could possible come home Wednesday. He'll need physically therapy and help around the house doing certain things he can't do. This will probably spell the end of his medical career unless he recovers fully (which is possible after some time).

So I really don't know what the future holds except that it could have been much much worse.

I am sorry to hear of this (especially so late) but please know that you, your family, and your father are in my thoughts and prayers. I'm not one to pray in general, but I did just now say one for you and yours. You did everything you could have done at the time and afterwards. May your father recover completely.

Sorry to read about your dad Alpha.

Most of what you have reported sounds encouraging!

Keep us posted!