The New LoveShack.org: Discuss the update and quirks/features here

9 hours ago, S2B said:

Is there a new posts button/feature? I’m lost without it- and I can’t find it! 

Yes! As @Happy Lemming mentioned, this is now in the Activity tab in the menu. Some of these features won't be fully working until all our background processing is completed.

7 hours ago, PegNosePete said:

Any chance we can have a choice colour schemes / themes, like a light or dark mode? I'm finding some of the icons difficult to see, particularly the star to indicate threads I've replied to, because they're such a light grey on a white background.

Great feedback, PegNosePete! There is currently a "classic" theme choice (look all the way down at the bottom of the page for the "Theme" link to switch between the updated look and an homage to the pink LoveShack.org of yester-week.

We'll look into the star issue. Thanks for letting us know!

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, elaine567 said:

No search facility?

Search will be back as soon as the remaining many millions of posts are finished being indexed by the search engine. This is happening behind the scenes and we'll update once all the bits and pieces are finished.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Shanex said:

Smooth navigation and looks great. Shanex approves and has liked every posts here. 

A new chapter to LS especially for those like me who mostly browse using their phone and tablet.

Glad you like it, Shanex! We're excited to have finally made the switch!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ohhhh what a nice surprise!! Can't wait to explore it further! It's like moving back in a newly renovated house!

• Like 2

Well this is neat! Great to see the forums with a nice new update. It all seems a bit more streamlined.

Thanks to everyone involved in the switch over! Seems like it's been a lot of work, and looks like it's all come to fruition nicely! 

9 hours ago, nospam99 said:

Too much whitespace. Consequently requires a lot more scrolling to see all the categories on the home page and all the posts within a category.

I’m loving all the white space. And the ads are no longer such an issue (on an iPad, anyway) blocking what you’re trying to read, or forcing you to scroll for miles to find the rest of a post. Far more intuitive look and feel, so far. 

And I ❤️ all the emoji! 

It looks great to me so far. The mouseover previews are especially nice. The cleaner, sophisticated look is greaty appreciated. The site seems really fast now, whereas the previous version lagged quite a bit. I'm getting used to the navigation, but it seems a shade less intuitive. I'd like to see a "new posts" link on the top nav bar. The dropdown menus require a lot of mental processing because the links are a few layers deep, and the labels require interpretation. Activity > My Activity Streams > Content I Posted In | Content New Today are going to be my frequently used links, and I'll get used to it, but it could be more direct. Using the word "Content" in labels is unnecessary. Simply "New Today" would be more effective. Most of this is small potatoes though –– the new software is great and I love being able to use it on the phone. That is a major step forward. Thanks for all your hard work in making this happen!

I just tried the 'new' site in a 'sandbox' browser with javascript turned on...

NOW I see the (annoying) ads that I never see with javascript turned off.

Still no button or link to 'view first unread'. I don't know how the rest of you deal with multi-page topics. But for me to have to remember in my brain the last post in every thread I've already seen .... just makes the whole forum prohibitively difficult to use. This is, to me, the most serious loss of function on the new site. And I have no gentler way to describe it other than as a loss of function.

Still no 'menu on the right', thus no way to preview a post. Another loss of function, but minor compared to no 'view first unread'.

I see a lot of posts in this thread that people like whitespace. Oh well. To each his or her own.

Edited by nospam99
59 minutes ago, nospam99 said:

Still no button or link to 'view first unread'. 

If you use the unread content link, then click on the time of the last post it take you there.  You may have to scroll up a bit to see posts between your last view & this latest post but it's better then scrolling through the whole thing.  I do miss the 1st unread button too

Having no issues on my PC as of yesterday. But this morning I am on my Motorola Android. I had set it up to stay signed in. When I first opened it this morning it showed me a p.m. but then an ad popped up and I was never able to read the p.m. or find the p.m. or the notifications icon after that. I looked on every tab for the notifications bell. It's still missing. 

The 'Unread Content' link shows me ALL unread content on the entire site. This is not helpful when I am trying to find unread content in a particular thread (something that worked rather well on the 'old' site and that I used on EVERY thread I followed).

Edited by nospam99

Hey Paul - this is really impressive. How much of this did you code yourself???

By the way - just found the "theme" drop-down. Oh that's so much better.

Not a fan.. Liked the old template better, more friendly, approachable. Fonts are different.

Still love the site though and believe it serves an important function in society.,

Edited by Soak

I'm curious about the 'laugh' reaction.  It's certainly appropriate when someone says something really funny, but it also has the potential to be used to mock or convey contempt.  The use of it in this way on Facebook is rife and here it could undermine the expectation of civility and respect in discussions.   Thoughts?   

I'm not sure if this can be NOSCRIPTed (html delimiters don't print) ... the Quote 'button' works with javascript on but not with javascript off.

I also saw a 'new posts' symbol, a star, to the left of the category title in the list of threads within a category. Only showed up once so far, on THIS topic which is the only one I've read (much) since the migration. I didn't click on it (opened the thread instead) so I'm not yet sure if it does anything. If it works, that's a little 'clunky' compared to the button always there but greyed out when there are not new posts in the 'old' days. But I can work with it.

Edited by nospam99

I went to the trouble of reading all posts since the migration in the categories I follow. My expectation was that once I brought all those threads 'up to date', I'd start seeing the star symbol for the threads that had new posts. Didn't happen :(

Took a quick look at a sample forum (In Search Of) and noted that a few threads at the top were bolded and all the rest were dimmed and hovering over the dot to the left of the thread title was a link to go to the first unread post. I presume that's because those threads were updated since last visit an hour or so ago. I've yet to mark the entire forum, or any subforums, as read.

My bet is since you're still browsing without javascript, presuming that's the case, some forum features may not work as expected. Apparently the menu bar where 'unread content' exists as a shortcut is not visible with javascript off or blocked..

We're still testing features and finding problems or settings needing adjustment so it's a process and the development folks are monitoring throughout the day.

Edited by William

Thanks William for pointing that out...the solid circle to the left of the thread title is now functioning as a link to the first unread, just like the star symbol was doing. MUCH better!

• Author

If you deactivate your account, does it act like it would on FB or other social media or does it just cancel your account outright?