My cat of 14 yrs is missing

• Author
bathtub-row
I'm so sorry. This is my fear with every cat I've ever had. I've always had indoor/outdoor cats, but I'm constantly scared they will get hit by a car or an animal might snag them. I think not knowing is the worst. I've had friends who have had cats that all of a sudden, they didn't come home one day. I am probably lucky that all my cats have died of natural causes. The cat I have now is an older fellow, and he mostly hangs around in the backyard of my parents' house.

Years ago, I did have a cat that would wander off for 2-3 days and then show back up. But that was his normal pattern, so I don't think that is what your Oreo is doing. I see posters have already suggested the litter box trick. My dad's childhood dog disappeared for several months, and someone found him across town. They think the neighbor, who hated his dog, dumped him out in the middle of nowhere. It's so hard because we can't protect our animals from everything. I've always let my cats go outside because I think it's more natural, and they enjoy it more than sitting inside all day. Cats are wild creatures at heart and not 100% domesticated IMO.

I totally agree with you about it being more natural. There's always risk with letting them go outside but so be it. Animals aren't meant to be cooped up inside or in cages. Don't get me started on zoos and circuses. But it's also about safety to me. What if I'm at work and my house catches on fire? I can't tell you how crappy I'd feel if I were responsible for trapping my pets in a burning building.

My black cat is such a roamer, he'd go nuts if he wasn't allowed outside. I now have given him a 10pm curfew and he is slightly rebellious about that but he's just going to have to adapt. Aside from the dangers at night, he likes to bring in little gifts like mice and squirrels. I'm not interested in waking up to that ever again. Lol. He has all day and a lot of the evening to be outdoors so he'll be fine. He just doesn't like to be told what he can and can't do. :)

• Like 2

I agree most cats are not that happy cooped up, but you have to have a good place for them and you have to monitor them more than most people will or can, and always need to be brought in at night because that's when a lot of crap goes down with cats.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
InvisiBlonde

I have an older cat who is the light of my life and was wiping my eyes as I read your story. My heart is aching for you.

Don't know where you're at, but FWIW:

http://www.nextdoor.com

is a site that seems to be almost like a FaceBook for neighborhoods. I've been signed up with them for a year or two. People post about missing pets all the time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Author
bathtub-row
I have an older cat who is the light of my life and was wiping my eyes as I read your story. My heart is aching for you.

Don't know where you're at, but FWIW:

http://www.nextdoor.com

is a site that seems to be almost like a FaceBook for neighborhoods. I've been signed up with them for a year or two. People post about missing pets all the time.

Yes, I'm a member of that group in my neighborhood. It's a little depressing to see how many pets go missing every week.

• Like 1