My cat of 14 yrs is missing

lionlover1973
Ok, I just heard something that has blown me away. Someone in my apartment complex called and said that there's an organization in our community that traps cats and spays/neuters them, and then releases them back where they found them. She said that they don't bother to check to see if they're already fixed or not.

It's not unheard of.

It is referred to as 'TNR':

Trap-neuter-return (TNR) is a program through which free-roaming cats are humanely trapped, sterilized and medically treated, and returned to the outdoor locations where they were found.

In rarer cases - there have been incidents of animal welfare organizations taking pets unlawfully.

PETA Stole Family Pet, Killed It Same Day

Animal Rights Group Takes Homeless Man's Dog

(thankfully, the pet was returned to his owner unharmed).

Legal Rights Of Lost Pets

My first thought though would be the pet is in fact lost, misplaced, etc.

But, I would not rule out the impossible either.

By the way, did you offer an award when distributing missing notices?

Fingers crossed Oreo comes home soon safely!

(btw, the cat I mentioned that went missing when I was younger that I found later, her brother/my other cat's name was Oreo - :))

• Author
bathtub-row
YES! This happened to my friend: her cat disappeared and she later found her in a shelter ready to be spayed (her fur on the stomach was shaved etc). The thing is: 1) She WAS spayed years ago; 2) She had a collar with name and address so it was a joke someone to think she's a stray cat. This was in Massachusetts, maybe 3-4 years ago.

Call them! These people are complete morons of this is actually the case, but at on the bright side, this is the best case scenario for Oreo.

If they've shaved or cut on my kitty, I will go through the freakin roof!!!

They don't have a phone number on their site, only an email address. The person has been answering my emails but when I asked for the name and number of the person in charge, she went quiet. I don't know what kind of drugs these people are on, but they're going to have a rude awakening if they've taken my cat.

Yes I agree that it would be the best case scenario but he wouldn't have gone missing in the first place if they hadn't trapped him. Assuming it's them, of course.

• Like 1
  • Author
bathtub-row
Bathtub, considering your surroundings are new, I think this article gives a most likely explanation of Oreo's disappearance.

Finding Your Lost Cat

It's not that new to him. I lived in a different apt and literally moved only one Bldg over. I've done all the things they say to do for a lost pet. It's as though he vanished into thin air.

• Author
bathtub-row
YES! This happened to my friend: her cat disappeared and she later found her in a shelter ready to be spayed (her fur on the stomach was shaved etc). The thing is: 1) She WAS spayed years ago; 2) She had a collar with name and address so it was a joke someone to think she's a stray cat. This was in Massachusetts, maybe 3-4 years ago.

Call them! These people are complete morons of this is actually the case, but at on the bright side, this is the best case scenario for Oreo.

I'm curious -- did your friend's cat have a collar on with a tag? The reason I ask is because I just called a vet who's kind of affiliated with that group and the vet said that those people would call me immediately if the cat has a tag or microchip. I have my doubts though.

I'm curious -- did your friend's cat have a collar on with a tag? The reason I ask is because I just called a vet who's kind of affiliated with that group and the vet said that those people would call me immediately if the cat has a tag or microchip. I have my doubts though.

I know you are looking for a reason your cat went missing, but I don't think I would worry too much about people taking your cat and trying to neuter it, especially if it has a collar and tag. There is a much lower chance of that happening than other things, although I don't have any proof of that. I just think people like to have someone else to blame for things and the "Trap-Neuter-Return" people are an easy target.

Not saying it doesn't happen, but there's really no incentive for them to trap a domestic cat that is collared and tagged.

Here is some information that may help ease your mind:

Feral/Stray Programs | FixNation

Trap-Neuter-Return | FixNation

I do hope you find your cat.

• Author
bathtub-row
I know you are looking for a reason your cat went missing, but I don't think I would worry too much about people taking your cat and trying to neuter it, especially if it has a collar and tag. There is a much lower chance of that happening than other things, although I don't have any proof of that. I just think people like to have someone else to blame for things and the "Trap-Neuter-Return" people are an easy target.

Not saying it doesn't happen, but there's really no incentive for them to trap a domestic cat that is collared and tagged.

Here is some information that may help ease your mind:

Feral/Stray Programs | FixNation

Trap-Neuter-Return | FixNation

I do hope you find your cat.

Well, that's actually why my neighbor brought up the subject. She said that they're very aggressive about taking cats. I had never even heard of them before that. Apparently they're very active in my community.

If I remember the story correctly - yes (collar with name + implanted microchip), and they returned the cat after scanning the microchip.

• Author
bathtub-row
If I remember the story correctly - yes (collar with name + implanted microchip), and they returned the cat after scanning the microchip.

That's what I was afraid of. They make it seem like they will contact you right away but I don't think they do in a lot of cases. My neighbor said that it can take a month or so for them to get your pet back to you. This may explain all those cases where people say their cat disappears for a month and suddenly returns. I'm sorry -- but what a bunch of jerks filled with their own self-importance.

Edited by bathtub-row
  • Like 1

Is there a community FB page you can post your missing kitty? You can also go to the local pet food stores, Vets, grocery stores and ask if you can put up posters....even poster around your neighbourhood works.

• Like 1
vanhalenfan

That must be Oreo in your profile pic. He is very beautiful! I've been praying for him to return home to you....xo

• Like 1
  • Author
bathtub-row
That must be Oreo in your profile pic. He is very beautiful! I've been praying for him to return home to you....xo

Thank you. Yes, that's him in my profile pic.

• Author
bathtub-row
I keep checking back to see if Oreo came home yet.

Balls :(

Thank you. I thought I had him back today. Someone texted me and said they had my cat at my apt and were going to leave him there since there was a pet door. I called her and asked "You have my cat?" It turns out it was my other cat who was just hanging around outside and he looks nothing like my missing cat. My heart just dropped.

amaysngrace

That's awful. I just keep wishing he comes home safely to you because I couldn't even imagine how worried you must be.

But I feel like he's okay, for whatever that's worth.

curiouslysearching

I think that I check this thread more than any other. I really do hope

that your kitty cat comes back and at the very least is safe and sound

somewhere. We always had lots of animals...horses, dogs and cats.

Animals become very important members of the family.

• Author
bathtub-row
That's awful. I just keep wishing he comes home safely to you because I couldn't even imagine how worried you must be.

But I feel like he's okay, for whatever that's worth.

It was pretty bad. I'm so tired of the roller coaster, and so sad and worried about my kitty. I'm the only mom he's ever had and he would never willingly leave his family.

Thank you for your kind and supportive thoughts. It really means a lot.

• Like 1
  • Author
bathtub-row
I think that I check this thread more than any other. I really do hope

that your kitty cat comes back and at the very least is safe and sound

somewhere. We always had lots of animals...horses, dogs and cats.

Animals become very important members of the family.

You're so sweet. Thank you. I really appreciate the support I've gotten here.

Yes, pets are family as far as I'm concerned.

For a potential pick you up found-cat story, my best friend's cat of nearly the same age bolted out of their trailer in Winemucca, Nevada where they were overnighting and they couldn't find her after staying in the campground another three nights. Finally, they gave up hope and came back to California and my best friend couldn't eat, sleep or do anything so they finally, after a couple weeks, said screw it, hooked back up and brought the trailer back over to the same campground.

A couple nights later they were laying in bed and he thought he was hearing things, a plaintive meow, so he went to the window and looked out at their kitty castle, a thing he and I built for the trailer so the cats could live 'outside' though contained, and his cat was sitting on top of it. She was skinny and dirty but alive. The desert summer heat definitely had taken its toll on her. Took them about a month to nurse her back to health and she had to have two fractured teeth extracted. She's still alive today, some four years later and she and they and their other camp cat are currently camping in Bodega Bay north of San Francisco. Heh, that cat is probably one of the most road-traveled cats in the US.

Anyway, cats are tough. Keep the faith. Good luck.

• Like 2
whichwayisup

Go to all the shelters with posters and your information. See for yourself if your kitty is there. As well as local vets.

So sorry that you're going through this. Pets are family and it really hurts when they go missing! I hope your furry loved one comes home soon.

• Author
bathtub-row
For a potential pick you up found-cat story, my best friend's cat of nearly the same age bolted out of their trailer in Winemucca, Nevada where they were overnighting and they couldn't find her after staying in the campground another three nights. Finally, they gave up hope and came back to California and my best friend couldn't eat, sleep or do anything so they finally, after a couple weeks, said screw it, hooked back up and brought the trailer back over to the same campground.

A couple nights later they were laying in bed and he thought he was hearing things, a plaintive meow, so he went to the window and looked out at their kitty castle, a thing he and I built for the trailer so the cats could live 'outside' though contained, and his cat was sitting on top of it. She was skinny and dirty but alive. The desert summer heat definitely had taken its toll on her. Took them about a month to nurse her back to health and she had to have two fractured teeth extracted. She's still alive today, some four years later and she and they and their other camp cat are currently camping in Bodega Bay north of San Francisco. Heh, that cat is probably one of the most road-traveled cats in the US.

Anyway, cats are tough. Keep the faith. Good luck.

Great story. Thank you.

I'm thankful that my kitty knows how to protect and feed himself in the outdoors. And I really hope - wherever he is - he's making his way back to me.

• Author
bathtub-row
Go to all the shelters with posters and your information. See for yourself if your kitty is there. As well as local vets.

So sorry that you're going through this. Pets are family and it really hurts when they go missing! I hope your furry loved one comes home soon.

Thank you for your thoughts. I really appreciate them.

I went to one of the shelters the other day and I'm going to another one on Saturday. I'll bring the fliers with his pic on them. At least he has the chip in him. If nothing else, I feel comforted that if someone stole him, they may eventually take him to the vet and he'll be found. It gives me hope, anyway. I now wish I had thought to put a gps tracker on him.

• Author
bathtub-row

I talked to the "cat trappers" last night. They said that they absolutely would not have taken my cat, nor do they have him. So, strike another one off my list.

bathtub-row,

I just wanted to say that my heart goes out to you, as I had a cat that looked just like your cat. Her name was Jewel and she was my companion.

Like your kitty, she'd go outdoors on her own.She went out one morning after a very nice cuddle session together, she was 14 years old, and after a while and her not returning, I felt suddenly anxious about it and went outdoors to find her.

It appeared she stepped off my deck and just past away. I wrapped her in a blanket and sat holding her and talking to her for a long while. When I found her she was still warm, and I couldn't not say goodbye and covering her until her warmth faded.

Gee, I'm tearing up just typing this.I'm sorry I didn't mean to share this to upset you. It's just so hard to say goodbye to these wonderful gifts that so provide unconditional love.

I really wanted to say how much I can understand how you are feeling, and I am hoping for you to have resolution very soon with your missing companion, Oreo.

Jewel had a black dot on her nose as well. I am so hoping that your cat returns or will be found soon. I look forward to you posting good news of a happy reunion.

Edited by skywriter