My cat of 14 yrs is missing

So very sorry to hear this. Hope you find him or that he was tired of being cooped up so he decided to take an extended vacation and returns to you. :(

• Like 1
  • Author
bathtub-row
bathtub-row,

I just wanted to say that my heart goes out to you, as I had a cat that looked just like your cat. Her name was Jewel and she was my companion.

Like your kitty, she'd go outdoors on her own.She went out one morning after a very nice cuddle session together, she was 14 years old, and after a while and her not returning, I felt suddenly anxious about it and went outdoors to find her.

It appeared she stepped off my deck and just past away. I wrapped her in a blanket and sat holding her and talking to her for a long while. When I found her she was still warm, and I couldn't not say goodbye and covering her until her warmth faded.

Gee, I'm tearing up just typing this.I'm sorry I didn't mean to share this to upset you. It's just so hard to say goodbye to these wonderful gifts that so provide unconditional love.

I really wanted to say how much I can understand how you are feeling, and I am hoping for you to have resolution very soon with your missing companion, Oreo.

Jewel had a black dot on her nose as well. I am so hoping that your cat returns or will be found soon. I look forward to you posting good news of a happy reunion.

I'm really sorry about your kitty. At least you got the chance to cuddle him and know what happened to him. I would be sad if my kitty died at home but I think I could accept that better than what's happening now. I don't know if he's dead, alive, lost, frightened, being tortured or cared for. I just don't know.

Tomorrow I'm putting out signs offering a $200 reward for his return.

• Author
bathtub-row
So very sorry to hear this. Hope you find him or that he was tired of being cooped up so he decided to take an extended vacation and returns to you. :(

Haha! Well, you know, it's been years since he's had a proper vacation. He works and slaves around the house and never catches a break. He's probably sipping mouse margaritas on lovely Bird Island. :)

Edited by bathtub-row
curiouslysearching

Again, I keep checking and hoping to find some good news. Please

come Home....

• Like 4
curiouslysearching
Oreo is a beautiful kitty. I was so hoping he would have turned up by now.

Me too CaliG....hope you are doing well

• Like 3
  • Author
bathtub-row

My other kitty has been sleeping a lot. He seems to be mourning is brother. It's so sad.

I went to a couple of shelters on Saturday. No sign of Oreo but they said that they would keep a watch out for him. I left flyers for them. They did say that if a cat is really freaked out when he's brought in, they wouldn't be able to check for a chip. I don't think my kitty would be that unmanageable but you never know, I suppose. So, in those cases, the cats are put in the "feral cats" room. I'll keep going to those places to check on him.

A neighbor lady told me today that she checks the windows in the apartments, looking for him. I thanked her for that and she said that a lot of the neighbors thank me for my beautiful patio. I have a little water garden and planted a lot of plants. When I moved here, the patio was pitiful looking. She said it's so enjoyable to look at.

Thanks, again, for all your thoughts and concerns. Oreo has been missing for just over a week now. I'm afraid I'll never see him again.

• Author
bathtub-row
Any word yet, bt-r?

Not really. A neighbor told me yesterday that she saw a cat that looked exactly like Oreo looking out the window in an apartment complex near me. She told me which building it was and which floor. I've gone there 3 times since then, hoping to see him. So far, nothing. I'll keep checking there but, for the most part, I'm pretty sure I'll never see him again.

It's just not the same without him, not knowing where he is. Thank you for asking.

• Author
bathtub-row
I had a cat that would disappear for weeks and still always come home.

That's not something my cat has ever done in all the years I've had him. He's very much a home-body.

amaysngrace
Not really. A neighbor told me yesterday that she saw a cat that looked exactly like Oreo looking out the window in an apartment complex near me. She told me which building it was and which floor. I've gone there 3 times since then, hoping to see him. So far, nothing. I'll keep checking there but, for the most part, I'm pretty sure I'll never see him again.

It's just not the same without him, not knowing where he is. Thank you for asking.

I'm sorry. :(

Maybe put up big pictures of him in that complex where someone thought they saw him, if you haven't already.

It sucks to not know where he is. I really hope you have him home soon.

• Author
bathtub-row
I'm sorry. :(

Maybe put up big pictures of him in that complex where someone thought they saw him, if you haven't already.

It sucks to not know where he is. I really hope you have him home soon.

I've already done that, and offered a $200 reward.

• 2 weeks later...
That's not something my cat has ever done in all the years I've had him. He's very much a home-body.

I've had, and known a few cats over the years.

We had one cat that was very much a home body for a number of years.

You could leave the door wide open, at most he would look outside, but never shown any interest.

Then suddenly, one day he got curious. Starting peeking out a bit, then going out side. After a couple of years of just hanging around the house and yard, he started to disappear for a day or two, then a week or two, I think the longest he was gone was about 3 or 4 months. He showed up that time, he was pretty wore out, lost a lot of weight. But he recovered nicely. He never did that again, but occasionally he would be gone for a few days at a time. I think when we were looking for him, doing research to find out how far they sometime travel when working territory or exploring territories, it can be more than 10 miles.

I've also discovered that, once a cat decides he wants to go out, it is almost impossible to keep them in.

They start to hide and stalk the door, just waiting to try to speed past you as you try to enter or leave through it.

Eventually, there speed and reactions seem to win out.

He was about 14 years old when he ended up having a spinal stroke and became paralyzed half way down his back. He passed away about 3 or 4 days later. Maybe it was about a week.

There is always something a little bit wild about cats, even the home bodies.

We had another cat for about 10 years, he sort of moved back and forth between homebody and yard cat, we moved, for about 1 year he decided to stay inside and be content to look outside, then, he started exploring the great outdoors, then, eventually disappeared. Strongly suspect he might have been run over. I've had some great cats and dogs over the years. I have morn their passing, still miss one or two of them quite a bit. Lot of good memories.

Edited by QuietDan
  • Author
bathtub-row

QuietDan, thanks for your thoughts. Before I moved into the apartments that I'm now in, I lived in a house for 13 yrs and that's the only home Oreo knew. He went in and out as he pleased. When we moved, I was in an upstairs apartment and it was near a busy road. My adventurous cat went outside, but Oreo never would. He hated the noise and activity. I didn't have much choice about where I moved because I had sold my house and needed to take whatever was available at the time. Recently, I moved downstairs to an apt that overlooks a green area. Oreo was really happy to be able to go outside again and be in a quieter area.

Cookiesanddough, thank you for your concern. No news except that I've found out some more info about where I've moved. It seems that this area, which is a community that prides itself on preserving nature, has a great deal of wildlife including wild boars, coyotes, and bobcats, to name a few. I've heard stories of small dogs being picked up by birds of prey, even. Because of where I lived previously, I had no clue about the dangers to small children and small animals in this area. I wish I had been forewarned. I now keep my other cat in at nighttime because of this. I don't know if that's actually what happened to Oreo but it actually is the thing that makes the most sense. He wouldn't go up to strangers, he wouldn't cross a street, he loved his family -- but a predator catching him by surprise seems very likely.

I still haven't completely given up hope but I just don't think Oreo went off on some adventure. I sure hope he has, though, and I hope he's alive and well. 4-25 marks the one-month period of him being gone. My other kitty is really sad about losing his brother. He sleeps almost all the time. Again, if I had had any clue as to the dangers out here, I would've kept my kitties in at night. I know they're not 100% protected during the day but, as Dan mentioned, when a cat loves going outdoors, it's not possible to keep them in, nor would I want to. It's not natural to never go outdoors. But at night, the dangers are just too great, especially where I live now. It's a hard-learned lesson.

Edited by bathtub-row
  • Like 4

Every time I see this thread bumped, I am hopeful that Oreo has returned safely. It's hard when a pet disappears. 18 years ago when I lived in Rancho Bernardo my cat (raider) got out never to be seen by me again. I always hoped that he somehow was okay and with another family. He was formerly a stray and never completely got over his love of roaming around. Around 10 years ago when I lived in military housing,another adopted stray (shaggy) up and vanished. I always thought he might have gotten into a moving van as it was summer and that's when a lot of people moved.

I'm still hopeful for you that by some miracle, Oreo returns.

• Like 3
  • Author
bathtub-row
Every time I see this thread bumped, I am hopeful that Oreo has returned safely. It's hard when a pet disappears. 18 years ago when I lived in Rancho Bernardo my cat (raider) got out never to be seen by me again. I always hoped that he somehow was okay and with another family. He was formerly a stray and never completely got over his love of roaming around. Around 10 years ago when I lived in military housing,another adopted stray (shaggy) up and vanished. I always thought he might have gotten into a moving van as it was summer and that's when a lot of people moved.

I'm still hopeful for you that by some miracle, Oreo returns.

Thank you, CaliG. In my heart, I'm pretty sure I'll never see Oreo again and it breaks my heart. I knew in the deepest recesses of my being when he was nowhere to be found that morning. I just knew then. He only disappeared once in the whole 15 yrs that I had him. He was gone most of the day and I remember leaving the garage door slightly up in case he came back. Sure enough, late in the day, he came hobbling back as though he had been on a really rough journey. I believe he must've crawled into the cavity of a car that drove off with him in it. I'll never sure of what actually happened but, since then, me and my family would jokingly call it "the incident that we don't talk about". But that's it -- that's the only time I couldn't find him for a long period of time. He was always around, always within eyesight, and always knew when I came home. I just wish I had known then what I know now. I could've protected my dear kitty. :(

• Like 1

Bath tub I'm so very sorry :(

I've had cats all my life

I currently have 4 lol (and a bunny)

The thing about cats that most people dont get is....they dont get lost like dogs do

Either one of two things happen...

#1- They dont like you (you know cats) so they move along to find a new residence or food source. One of my cats was abused by a horrible women so he came to live with me :love: I've been blessed by his companionship for 7 years now

#2- They're not longer alive. When cats (unlike dogs) are severly harmed or injured...they crawl away to die alone. Thats just how they work

I'm so so sorry for the pain you're going through and I hope the above info doesnt make the pain worse. I know first hand how much it hurts to lose a cat/member of the family

You've done all you can to find your kitty. Thats all you can do

Please take comfort in knowing you gave your cat a WONDERFUL life, a long life, full of love

Sending you lots of love and healing energies. I promise you that your sweet kitty is in a better place...and I know....you will see him/her again :)

• Like 2
  • Author
bathtub-row

Disillusionment, thank you for your post. Well, I have heard lots of people say that their cat came back after months. I think it does happen. And if a cat is stolen, I think they'll eventually find an escape and go back home. But given all that, I think you have to take the pet itself into consideration. I know Oreo and he just wouldn't leave his family unless something happened to him. He was just a little furball who loved his home and took it upon himself to guard us. I used to call him a "watch kitty" because he was always watching and guarding the door.

What you say about a home environment is very true. I had a Persian for several years but when I married a verbally abusive guy, the cat left. I couldn't blame him. The home environment was awful and I eventually left too. So, yes, cats will walk away from a bad home.

I do think about the good life I gave my little kitty but even though he was with us for so long, it just doesn't seem long enough.

• Like 1