My cat of 14 yrs is missing

truthtripper

I can empathise. My 14yo went missing for two weeks before our neighbour found her body in his garden. The morning she disappeared she had given me an unusually long stare like she was telling me something important. So perhaps she was ready to die that day. But I had wondered why our neighbour had taken so long to discover her, as he keeps his grass short and couldn't have missed her when I asked him to look out for her two weeks earlier. So I also suspected that his golden retriever may have attacked/killed her, so he let her body rot to dispose of the evidence. Only God knows the truth.

I know how excruciating it is not knowing. I hope he turns up. Males do tend to go off wandering and can take days to return. When this happens, usually they have been in a fight with other males and have gotten injured. Since the area is new for him, perhaps he got involved in a territorial fight with already established cats.

Crossing my fingers for you.

lionlover1973

Oh no:(

If it is any consolation, I had a cat during childhood that went missing for a week or so and I found her safely wandering in a nearby neighborhood.

My biggest fear with outdoor pets, is predation. Especially coyotes (I have a small indoor dog and I tend to be a bit on the 'overly protective' side when he does outdoor potty, walks, etc. I will not let him off leash or out of my eyesight).

I found these articles - not sure if they've already been posted/looked at:

Recovery Tips – Probability Categories

Lost Cat Shelter Tip Sheet

Hope your kitty comes home soon, good luck!

• Like 2

I had cats returning after month(s). Mainly young males. So chances are still there.

Is he a special breed? I'm just wondering can he be stolen. My former roommate cat looked like a Persian and one of the neighbors stole her, pretending that they thought she was abandoned.

Maybe take a look at the windows of the houses around you..

As far as his age is concerned, you'd never know how old he is. He's agile and spirited. That makes me feel good that you've had cats that have returned. This is so unlike him. I miss him so much.

Is there anyway at all he could be trapped somewhere in the house ? One time my Mom thought her cat got out,but she had climbed into an open dresser drawer and gotten herself trapped.

I do hope that you find Oreo safe and sound. I know how heartbreaking it is to lose a Cat.

My last cat vanished one morning and I never saw her again. Looked everywhere and couldn't find signs of a struggle or getting attacked or anything. She was just gone. :(

Cat before that was gone for 3 days and just ended up being stuck under the neighbors house. Hoping for the best bathtub.

• Like 1

My cat ran away a few years ago and was gone for two weeks, and then returned. I was very worried but people kept telling me that cats remember where they live, but I didn't believe them. I'll pray for your cat to return, I know how painful that loss can be. (((hug))) :(

• Like 3
curiouslysearching
My cat ran away a few years ago and was gone for two weeks, and then returned. I was very worried but people kept telling me that cats remember where they live, but I didn't believe them. I'll pray for your cat to return, I know how painful that loss can be. (((hug))) :(

They do and that is a wonderful and encouraging post.....

• Author
bathtub-row
I can empathise. My 14yo went missing for two weeks before our neighbour found her body in his garden. The morning she disappeared she had given me an unusually long stare like she was telling me something important. So perhaps she was ready to die that day. But I had wondered why our neighbour had taken so long to discover her, as he keeps his grass short and couldn't have missed her when I asked him to look out for her two weeks earlier. So I also suspected that his golden retriever may have attacked/killed her, so he let her body rot to dispose of the evidence. Only God knows the truth.

I know how excruciating it is not knowing. I hope he turns up. Males do tend to go off wandering and can take days to return. When this happens, usually they have been in a fight with other males and have gotten injured. Since the area is new for him, perhaps he got involved in a territorial fight with already established cats.

Crossing my fingers for you.

I'm so sorry.

• Author
bathtub-row
I had cats returning after month(s). Mainly young males. So chances are still there.

Is he a special breed? I'm just wondering can he be stolen. My former roommate cat looked like a Persian and one of the neighbors stole her, pretending that they thought she was abandoned.

Maybe take a look at the windows of the houses around you..

He's not young and he never takes off. He's actually pretty homebound except that he likes to hang around outside and try to catch birds and squirrels. I can't imagine why on earth he'd disappear like this unless he was attacked, stolen, lost, or something along those lines. He loves his comforts and food too much. haha. I pray he comes back.

He's a very pretty kitty - he looks like a ragdoll cat; fluffy fur, black and white with a cute black dot on his nose. I took a gorgeous photo of him at Christmas. He was sitting on some plaid pillows, staring so cutely at the camera.

• Like 1
  • Author
bathtub-row
Is there anyway at all he could be trapped somewhere in the house ? One time my Mom thought her cat got out,but she had climbed into an open dresser drawer and gotten herself trapped.

I do hope that you find Oreo safe and sound. I know how heartbreaking it is to lose a Cat.

I searched all over and, after your post, I searched again -- even all places where there are drawers; behind the washer and dryer (and inside), the fireplace and flu, etc. I went looking outside again today -- looked up at the trees, went all around the apts behind me and looked to see if he was staring out a window. No sign of him. I go out late each night and early morning and call for him, walking a short distance from my home. There's a small bldg in my apt complex that I think the maintenance guys use. I emailed my apts and asked them to check in there. I'm running out of ideas, but my dear neighbors sure are on alert. While I was searching for him, two different people stopped me and talked about him. One lady didn't know I was the one who lost him, she just said, "I wonder if that person ever found her cat." We chatted for awhile. It's nice that they're concerned.

I put a pic of Oreo on my profile.

Oreo is a beautiful kitty. I was so hoping he would have turned up by now.

• Like 3

What a lovely kitty - looks a bit like my Elly. :)

I hope you have good news soon. x

• Like 3

Oh he's pretty! Nice profile picture.

Fun fact: the cats that I had escaping and returning were in the same color scheme - black & white :) I hope he returns!

Do you have a basement? If he got lost and scared, he maybe hiding there?

He's not young and he never takes off. He's actually pretty homebound except that he likes to hang around outside and try to catch birds and squirrels. I can't imagine why on earth he'd disappear like this unless he was attacked, stolen, lost, or something along those lines. He loves his comforts and food too much. haha. I pray he comes back.

He's a very pretty kitty - he looks like a ragdoll cat; fluffy fur, black and white with a cute black dot on his nose. I took a gorgeous photo of him at Christmas. He was sitting on some plaid pillows, staring so cutely at the camera.

amaysngrace

I borrowed a cat from my ex-husband's other ex-wife to help get rid of mice at my late mother's house and I specifically chose that cat named Bella because she once went missing for two weeks and survived. She was just a little bit skinny but other than that she was fine.

• Author
bathtub-row
Oh he's pretty! Nice profile picture.

Fun fact: the cats that I had escaping and returning were in the same color scheme - black & white :) I hope he returns!

Do you have a basement? If he got lost and scared, he maybe hiding there?

No basements in Texas. Lol. I don't really consider him an escapee since he had the ability to go in and out through a pet door.

Thank you -- he really is pretty. Such s sweet face.

• Like 1
  • Author
bathtub-row
I borrowed a cat from my ex-husband's other ex-wife to help get rid of mice at my late mother's house and I specifically chose that cat named Bella because she once went missing for two weeks and survived. She was just a little bit skinny but other than that she was fine.

That's funny!

• Author
bathtub-row

Ok, I just heard something that has blown me away. Someone in my apartment complex called and said that there's an organization in our community that traps cats and spays/neuters them, and then releases them back where they found them. She said that they don't bother to check to see if they're already fixed or not. I asked her if they would actually take someone's cat when they're wearing a collar and she said that it was possible because they tend to be "overly enthusiastic". She also said that it could take about a month for them to return the cat. Have you ever heard of this kind of thing?? It has apparently become popular in several states. And guess when they trap these cats -- at night and early morning, exactly when my cat went missing.

I mean, it would explain everything -- why my kitty disappeared in the middle of the night with no trace, how a stranger would actually be able to catch him, etc. I just emailed them and, because I have a tracker on my emails, I can see that they've opened my email 7 times. I don't have a phone number for them. Now, if they've taken my cat, I can't even tell you how furious I will be over this. On the other hand, I would be thrilled to get my kitty back.

What I really think will happen is that they won't admit to actually taking him because they probably know that they can get into a LOT of trouble for stealing someone else's property/pet. If they have him, I think they'll quietly drop him off. Let's see if Oreo magically appears in the next night or so.

Un-freakin-believable.

Edited by bathtub-row
  • Like 1
Southern Sun

That would be wild.

Our cat disappeared a couple of months after we moved. We kept her inside for a long time, at least a month after moving, to make sure she knew where home was. We have a pet door too, and mostly she just goes out and suns herself on the deck.

But one day she was just gone. I could feel her absence. I looked everywhere for her. I put up posters, put something on our neighborhood app, everything. Nobody had seen her. The one clue I had was the smell of a skunk near our house. It was quite strong the first morning I searched for her, and traveled next to our house, through our neighbor's yard, and beyond. I wondered if she had gotten spooked by a skunk and she was just staying away until the coast was clear.

We too contacted the new owners of our old house and asked them to be on watch for her. Three days later, in the middle of the night, we felt tiny kitty paws walking on us. There she was! Like nothing had happened.

Cats are so smart. They are also very territorial. If your cat knew where home was, and nothing tragic happened, then he/she is likely making his way back or waiting until he feels it's safe to return. I hope for a good outcome for you.

• Like 1

Weighing things up I hope that this is what has happened to your cat and that these people have taken him to neuter him.

Considering the amount of rescue centres brimming at the absolute seams with unexpected kittens from unneutered cats roaming free it's part of a responsibility of a pet owner to ensure that cat either stays a house cat or gets neutered.

I really hope you have had your other free roamer boy cat neutered - if not please make sure this gets sorted out.

• Author
bathtub-row
Weighing things up I hope that this is what has happened to your cat and that these people have taken him to neuter him.

Considering the amount of rescue centres brimming at the absolute seams with unexpected kittens from unneutered cats roaming free it's part of a responsibility of a pet owner to ensure that cat either stays a house cat or gets neutered.

I really hope you have had your other free roamer boy cat neutered - if not please make sure this gets sorted out.

Yes, my cat is neutered. He has been since he was a few months old. I totally agree that animals need to be fixed and I think it's fine if they do that to stray animals. But my point is, taking someone else's pet and having surgery performed on it is theft and not their right. That's like saying "I'm going to take your car without your permission and have some changes made on it, and then I'll return it to you." Theft. Plain and simple. That's why I'm pretty sure they won't admit to taking a cat that's wearing a collar. Nor will the vet admit to not scanning for a chip and calling the owner.

Yes, in a way, it would be great if this is where my cat is and I get him back safe and sound. But you can bet your behind that if I find out they're the ones responsible for putting me and my pet through this anguish, I will report them to the police. And I'd consider suing them and the vet. There's no excuse for someone doing this. I have been through hell worrying about my pet.

Edited by bathtub-row
  • Author
bathtub-row
Place his used litterbox outside uncovered. If he is within a mile radius, he should be able to smell it and orient his way home.

Already done. Thanks, though.

YES! This happened to my friend: her cat disappeared and she later found her in a shelter ready to be spayed (her fur on the stomach was shaved etc). The thing is: 1) She WAS spayed years ago; 2) She had a collar with name and address so it was a joke someone to think she's a stray cat. This was in Massachusetts, maybe 3-4 years ago.

Call them! These people are complete morons of this is actually the case, but at on the bright side, this is the best case scenario for Oreo.

Ok, I just heard something that has blown me away. Someone in my apartment complex called and said that there's an organization in our community that traps cats and spays/neuters them, and then releases them back where they found them. She said that they don't bother to check to see if they're already fixed or not. I asked her if they would actually take someone's cat when they're wearing a collar and she said that it was possible because they tend to be "overly enthusiastic". She also said that it could take about a month for them to return the cat. Have you ever heard of this kind of thing?? It has apparently become popular in several states. And guess when they trap these cats -- at night and early morning, exactly when my cat went missing.

I mean, it would explain everything -- why my kitty disappeared in the middle of the night with no trace, how a stranger would actually be able to catch him, etc. I just emailed them and, because I have a tracker on my emails, I can see that they've opened my email 7 times. I don't have a phone number for them. Now, if they've taken my cat, I can't even tell you how furious I will be over this. On the other hand, I would be thrilled to get my kitty back.

What I really think will happen is that they won't admit to actually taking him because they probably know that they can get into a LOT of trouble for stealing someone else's property/pet. If they have him, I think they'll quietly drop him off. Let's see if Oreo magically appears in the next night or so.

Un-freakin-believable.