My cat of 14 yrs is missing

As someone who is very into cat life (haha proud owner and I've had sooo many over the years) - this is spot on.

The only other option #3 is getting trapped/stolen by someone. This is rare but it happens. If it is the case Oreo may escape and show back in his home:)

I'm not losing hope for Oreo - as mentioned I did have cats returning after long time... They probably pursued #1 (but options failed) or #3.

Bath tub I'm so very sorry :(

I've had cats all my life

I currently have 4 lol (and a bunny)

The thing about cats that most people dont get is....they dont get lost like dogs do

Either one of two things happen...

#1- They dont like you (you know cats) so they move along to find a new residence or food source. One of my cats was abused by a horrible women so he came to live with me :love: I've been blessed by his companionship for 7 years now

#2- They're not longer alive. When cats (unlike dogs) are severly harmed or injured...they crawl away to die alone. Thats just how they work

I'm so so sorry for the pain you're going through and I hope the above info doesnt make the pain worse. I know first hand how much it hurts to lose a cat/member of the family

You've done all you can to find your kitty. Thats all you can do

Please take comfort in knowing you gave your cat a WONDERFUL life, a long life, full of love

Sending you lots of love and healing energies. I promise you that your sweet kitty is in a better place...and I know....you will see him/her again :)

• Like 2
Disillusionment, thank you for your post. Well, I have heard lots of people say that their cat came back after months. I think it does happen. And if a cat is stolen, I think they'll eventually find an escape and go back home. But given all that, I think you have to take the pet itself into consideration. I know Oreo and he just wouldn't leave his family unless something happened to him. He was just a little furball who loved his home and took it upon himself to guard us. I used to call him a "watch kitty" because he was always watching and guarding the door.

What you say about a home environment is very true. I had a Persian for several years but when I married a verbally abusive guy, the cat left. I couldn't blame him. The home environment was awful and I eventually left too. So, yes, cats will walk away from a bad home.

I do think about the good life I gave my little kitty but even though he was with us for so long, it just doesn't seem long enough.

As someone who is very into cat life (haha proud owner and I've had sooo many over the years) - this is spot on.

The only other option #3 is getting trapped/stolen by someone. This is rare but it happens. If it is the case Oreo may escape and show back in his home:)

I'm not losing hope for Oreo - as mentioned I did have cats returning after long time... They probably pursued #1 (but options failed) or #3.

Of course cats can be stolen or trapped but this doesnt happen a lot

Esp with adult cats

If people were really into stealing cats then shelters wouldnt be full to the brim with cats that no one wants

The cat I mentioned above did disappear once. I put up 'Lost cat' posters and offered a $100 reward. I got a call from a woman who had him. Turns out she had given the cat to that horrible woman and once she found out she wasnt taking care of him...she went looking for him and scooped him up. She was kind enough to give him back to me. Thank god because I dont know what I would do with out him (his name is Benny) :D

Because the occurance of these things happening is so rare...its usually one of the two scenarios I mentioned. Plus bath tub, I dont want you to get your hopes up that your kitty will likely come back. But I know you know already know that probably wont be the case

If your avatar is a pic of Oreo he/she is just gorgeous! :love: Very regal kitty! :D

I hope you're hanging in there bath tub. Keep us updated :)

ChanSummary

Being with your pet for a long time is so painful when you just noticed suddenly that he's gone. Why don't you try to report in the police station. Perhaps your pet is just lost.

doyathinkso

We all microchip our pets to protect them but unfortunately there is no central registry for the various companies offering this service . There is more than one company offering this service and little to no coordination between them, so the promised level of protection they sell is not really there. Perhaps you should get in contact with the vet who had this done to Oreo and find out which service did this and contact them yourself. Perhaps they could offer some advice on how to check with other registries.

elaine567

It may be worth putting out a cat trap for him. Many cats not used to the outdoors stick around the area but are too scared to come out.

It would have been better done in the first few days but it is worth a go.

In my area the waste department checks all the cats for microchips, run over on the road that they pick up dead. It may be worth ringing them.

It may not be the result you want to have but it gives you closure. It is no fun watching and waiting for a cat to come home indefinitely.

I know.

• Author
bathtub-row
Of course cats can be stolen or trapped but this doesnt happen a lot

Esp with adult cats

If people were really into stealing cats then shelters wouldnt be full to the brim with cats that no one wants

The cat I mentioned above did disappear once. I put up 'Lost cat' posters and offered a $100 reward. I got a call from a woman who had him. Turns out she had given the cat to that horrible woman and once she found out she wasnt taking care of him...she went looking for him and scooped him up. She was kind enough to give him back to me. Thank god because I dont know what I would do with out him (his name is Benny) :D

Because the occurance of these things happening is so rare...its usually one of the two scenarios I mentioned. Plus bath tub, I dont want you to get your hopes up that your kitty will likely come back. But I know you know already know that probably wont be the case

If your avatar is a pic of Oreo he/she is just gorgeous! :love: Very regal kitty! :D

I hope you're hanging in there bath tub. Keep us updated :)

It's nice that you recused Benny. I detest anilmal abuse and neglect. I'm doing ok. I have my other kitty who's jet black and a great companion. He stays with me when I'm sick and, in general, he's crazy-smart. But I miss Oreo and so does my other kitty. It's hard not having the closure, and I feel a lot of regret. I wish I had considered the dangers.

• Author
bathtub-row
Being with your pet for a long time is so painful when you just noticed suddenly that he's gone. Why don't you try to report in the police station. Perhaps your pet is just lost.

I actually did call the police but they only made a few suggestions. Not much they can do, really.

• Author
bathtub-row
We all microchip our pets to protect them but unfortunately there is no central registry for the various companies offering this service . There is more than one company offering this service and little to no coordination between them, so the promised level of protection they sell is not really there. Perhaps you should get in contact with the vet who had this done to Oreo and find out which service did this and contact them yourself. Perhaps they could offer some advice on how to check with other registries.

I'm surprised to hear that. I found a dog awhile back and took him to a shelter. The first thing they did was check him for a chip. He had one and they contacted his owner. I called the next day to make sure he had been picked up and they said he had. The system seemed to go really smoothly. I think my cat's chip was registered at my vet but I found the maker of the chip and registered my cats in my name. I paid to do that but in retrospect I probably didn't need to. I think they're registered with the vet that puts the chip in. As long as they have your correct phone number, they should be able to find you.

• Author
bathtub-row
It may be worth putting out a cat trap for him. Many cats not used to the outdoors stick around the area but are too scared to come out.

It would have been better done in the first few days but it is worth a go.

In my area the waste department checks all the cats for microchips, run over on the road that they pick up dead. It may be worth ringing them.

It may not be the result you want to have but it gives you closure. It is no fun watching and waiting for a cat to come home indefinitely.

I know.

Oreo was very accustomed to being outdoors and he was an impressive hunter, as most cats are. That's interesting about the waste companies. I never heard of that. If they check for a chip, I think they would've contacted me. Oreo was also wearing a collar.

Cookiesandough

I still hold out hope Oreo is still out there and it wasn't a predator that got him. Come home, Oreo!!!

• Like 2
NotASkunk
I can only imagine how you're feeling.

If I were you, I'd do a public FB post asking if people have seen him. And ask for those in your vicinity to share the post.

This is a great idea. A lot of lost animals in my neighborhood get found through local neighborhood Facebook groups. Best of luck in finding your cat.

• Author
bathtub-row
This is a great idea. A lot of lost animals in my neighborhood get found through local neighborhood Facebook groups. Best of luck in finding your cat.

Yep, I've done all of those things and my neighbors still ask about him. I feel comforted that so many of my neighbors are so caring -- as are so many people on this site. :)

• Like 2
  • Author
bathtub-row
I still hold out hope Oreo is still out there and it wasn't a predator that got him. Come home, Oreo!!!

Thank you. I still hope the same thing. This is why it's so hard not knowing -- you just don't know what to think.

• Like 1
johngalt1149

I lost my Pom 3 years ago. After separation he was all I had left and I went nuts.

FYI chip does nothing other than Home again will BOLO. Unless dead and scanned or someone brings to a vet to scan its worthless. Buy Trackerr from groupon for $18 and it is a gps for a smart cell. So to continue, I hired 4 full time people to help me find him, 10000 flyers (yes 10000), 500 posters, magnetic signs on the cars, ads in the Mia Herald, and SunSentinel, visits in the morning to Humane society when they open (830 am), visits to animal control at 1030 when they opened. 9 days later I found my 5.25 lb Pom waiting for me 7 miles away on the lake where I lived prior waiting for me and his name is Lucky. absolutely true story...don't give up hope.

• Like 2
  • Author
bathtub-row
I lost my Pom 3 years ago. After separation he was all I had left and I went nuts.

FYI chip does nothing other than Home again will BOLO. Unless dead and scanned or someone brings to a vet to scan its worthless. Buy Trackerr from groupon for $18 and it is a gps for a smart cell. So to continue, I hired 4 full time people to help me find him, 10000 flyers (yes 10000), 500 posters, magnetic signs on the cars, ads in the Mia Herald, and SunSentinel, visits in the morning to Humane society when they open (830 am), visits to animal control at 1030 when they opened. 9 days later I found my 5.25 lb Pom waiting for me 7 miles away on the lake where I lived prior waiting for me and his name is Lucky. absolutely true story...don't give up hope.

That's nuts, John! What a great story. I sold my house about a year ago. That was Oreo's home for 13 yrs. I did contact the new owners and asked them to be on the lookout for him. Gave them a photo of him, my contact info, etc. I've driven by, also.

I don't think the chips are useless under certain circumstances. I found a dog, took him to the shelter, and he was back with his owners that very day. Also if someone steals a pet and at some point takes it to the vet, they'll get caught. So it has its uses. The tracker you mention is limited, from what I understand. I've read that it doesn't have much of a range. What I would love is an implanted GPS device that tracks them at all times. We need that for pets and for children. The person who invents that will be richer than Bill Gates. Lol.

johngalt1149

I didn't mean useless, really. But someone has to be willing to take him to a vet which might never happen. In my case the Pom is pricey so someone might never have taken him in. The range on the trackerr is unlimited. It is a true GPS. I see him when I bring him to my parents in another city (Miami vs Ft Laud) though I don't live in a rural area. Did the same when I left him in Canada and I went to Detroit across the border. Same as findmyiphone. It really works and cost is miniscule. It is out there already, been using it since Lucky got lost 3 years ago. It's no bigger than a nickel. Wish I had a lucky cam to see what he did.

That's nuts, John! What a great story. I sold my house about a year ago. That was Oreo's home for 13 yrs. I did contact the new owners and asked them to be on the lookout for him. Gave them a photo of him, my contact info, etc. I've driven by, also.

I don't think the chips are useless under certain circumstances. I found a dog, took him to the shelter, and he was back with his owners that very day. Also if someone steals a pet and at some point takes it to the vet, they'll get caught. So it has its uses. The tracker you mention is limited, from what I understand. I've read that it doesn't have much of a range. What I would love is an implanted GPS device that tracks them at all times. We need that for pets and for children. The person who invents that will be richer than Bill Gates. Lol.

I got my dog back through his micro-chip. We were in a very large very heavily wooded unfenced natural dog park when my dog took off after something and then I couldn't find him. Spend about 2 hours looking for him when the call came from a vet's office letting me know they had my dog. The guy who found him thought he was in the park alone so took him to a vet to see if he was micro-chipped, which thankfully he is.

But I do think it's different with cats. Lots of people let their cats out to roam freely so people are usually unconcerned at the sight of a cat wondering around alone, whereas they become alarmed when they see a dog out and about by himself.

I'm so sorry about your kitty Bathtub. It's always hard to lose a pet but it's especially hard when they just disappear and you don't know what happened to them. I lost my childhood dog that way. He just disappeared one day and we never found him. I had him for 7 yrs and I held out hope for years that someday I would see him again. I only gave up hoping when he would have gotten so old that he couldn't possibly be alive anymore. I still tear up whenever I think about that dog and wonder how his life ended. I've never gotten over him. However I do hear stories all the time about cats who have returned home after long absences so I will continue to hold out hope for your sweet kitty.

• Like 1
johngalt1149

Raise the reward, go all out. The longer the time the less chances...

• Author
bathtub-row
I didn't mean useless, really. But someone has to be willing to take him to a vet which might never happen. In my case the Pom is pricey so someone might never have taken him in. The range on the trackerr is unlimited. It is a true GPS. I see him when I bring him to my parents in another city (Miami vs Ft Laud) though I don't live in a rural area. Did the same when I left him in Canada and I went to Detroit across the border. Same as findmyiphone. It really works and cost is miniscule. It is out there already, been using it since Lucky got lost 3 years ago. It's no bigger than a nickel. Wish I had a lucky cam to see what he did.

Ok, you must be talking about a different tracker than I am. Dang! I'm going to have to look into that.

• Author
bathtub-row
Raise the reward, go all out. The longer the time the less chances...

I really don't think it's about the money. Someone would've gone for the $200 if that were the case.

• Like 1

I'm so sorry. This is my fear with every cat I've ever had. I've always had indoor/outdoor cats, but I'm constantly scared they will get hit by a car or an animal might snag them. I think not knowing is the worst. I've had friends who have had cats that all of a sudden, they didn't come home one day. I am probably lucky that all my cats have died of natural causes. The cat I have now is an older fellow, and he mostly hangs around in the backyard of my parents' house.

Years ago, I did have a cat that would wander off for 2-3 days and then show back up. But that was his normal pattern, so I don't think that is what your Oreo is doing. I see posters have already suggested the litter box trick. My dad's childhood dog disappeared for several months, and someone found him across town. They think the neighbor, who hated his dog, dumped him out in the middle of nowhere. It's so hard because we can't protect our animals from everything. I've always let my cats go outside because I think it's more natural, and they enjoy it more than sitting inside all day. Cats are wild creatures at heart and not 100% domesticated IMO.

• Like 1