Getting Ready for Spring! 6-Week Weight Loss Challenge

• Author
I'm afraid to get on the scale because last time I did I gained weight by eating clean.

So I ate Girl Scout cookies instead because it didn't matter.

Now I've been measuring all my food and have been keeping track of all my steps with my Fitbit but I'm mostly slumped out and depressed from losing my ma but okay, I'll go see how much I weigh after I get naked....

Omg....I lost 4 lbs! :bunny:

My condolences for your loss. Kudos to you for being able to keep track of your stats (and make progress!) at such a difficult time.

• Like 2

I might join in. If I can stick to what I'm supposed to be living on, to heal my stomach, and ditch the dairy, I should lose a good amount of weight by my next birthday (five weeks away). I lost about 10lbs in a week, last Summer, on juices/smoothies, tea, and soup - a modified cleanse, and my stomach handled it. But that's expensive, and it's easier to open up a can of soup, or just to eat and then deal with the consequences.

I was going to try a Whole 30, a year ago, but it's too strict, and I wouldn't be able to keep the food down. they don't allow smoothies, and looked down on my suggestion of doing it my own way, when I posted on their forum. I've mostly given up refined sugar, but Whole 30 talks about ditching the stevia and honey, as well. I haven't been able to get that far. And they told me I'd have to give up my lentil soup - that's one of the few things my stomach can handle.

I'm currently making more chicken broth, after wasting two large pots of it due to a lack of energy (I fell asleep and didn't get it into jars, and into the fridge). I'm also making vegetarian blended soups, from beets and carrot, or dandelion and cauliflower.

• Like 1
loveweary11

I'm down 7.4 lbs since this Challenge started and I'm working myself hard and eating super clean, but I probably needed to lose 25-30 lbs, so some of this is going to come off more easily than with someone already in pretty good shape.

That's remarkable!!!

Awesome!

fitnessfan365
I'm down 7.4 lbs since this Challenge started and I'm working myself hard and eating super clean, but I probably needed to lose 25-30 lbs, so some of this is going to come off more easily than with someone already in pretty good shape.

Hey congrats man. Glad to see that you took my advice and are eating more calories this time around. You're finally taking in the right amount to match up to you exercise level and it's working!

It's always frustrating for people I meet when they tell me that they're working out a ton and not just losing any weight. Most of the time it's because they're under-eating.

I'm afraid to get on the scale because last time I did I gained weight by eating clean.

So I ate Girl Scout cookies instead because it didn't matter.

Now I've been measuring all my food and have been keeping track of all my steps with my Fitbit but I'm mostly slumped out and depressed from losing my ma but okay, I'll go see how much I weigh after I get naked....

Omg....I lost 4 lbs! :bunny:

Yeah unfortunately calories are calories regardless whether they are clean or not. So you were just taking in too many before. That's funny about the Girl Scout cookie diet..LOL But it's good to see you're being so diligent now. BTW - Sorry to hear about your mom passing! Such a hard thing to deal with. But it's good to see that you're channeling your energy into something positive. Keep doing it!

Edited by fitnessfan365
  • Like 2
Grumpybutfun

I'm in, tis the season for competitions. Off to Kohala for Iron Man Tri. again...my wife is thrilled.

Goal: Streamline for Iron Man Qualifier, Hawaii (June) for Australia....bike, swim and run alternately every day...work on biking.

Biking, boxing, running, swimming, conditioning, Muay Thai, weight training, etc.

Biking Schedule: 19.6 mi to 112.5 mi. by June

Run Schedule: 10.8 mi. to 26.2 mi. by June.

Swim Schedule: 1.2 to 2.5 mi. June

Protein based diet, high carb. interim 24/48

No caffeine, alcohol or added sugars.

Work on core...try to not become obsessed like usual. :laugh:

Be nice to be back on the Big Island again,

G

Edited by Grumpybutfun
  • Like 3

Already did one hour in the garden and I feel like I haven't worked out in a year. I thought I was in good shape but apparently I'm not.

Everything hurts but I will push through it. Yo.

:cool:

• Like 2
  • Author
I'm in, tis the season for competitions. Off to Kohala for Iron Man Tri. again...my wife is thrilled.

Goal: Streamline for Iron Man Qualifier, Hawaii (June) for Australia....bike, swim and run alternately every day...work on biking.

Biking, boxing, running, swimming, conditioning, Muay Thai, weight training, etc.

Biking Schedule: 19.6 mi to 112.5 mi. by June

Run Schedule: 10.8 mi. to 26.2 mi. by June.

Swim Schedule: 1.2 to 2.5 mi. June

Protein based diet, high carb. interim 24/48

No caffeine, alcohol or added sugars.

Work on core...try to not become obsessed like usual. :laugh:

Be nice to be back on the Big Island again,

G

Good to have you aboard, Grumpy.

Two questions:

1) How do you work in the time for all of those workouts? Empty nester? No kids? Extremely autonomous kids? Or just very disciplined?

2) Were you being sarcastic about your wife being thrilled? Haha I couldn't tell...after all, it seems a trip to Hawaii is involved.

• Like 1
amaysngrace

I went for a walk/jog with my dog last night and saw my friend around the corner while we were out. She said she'd like to start walking with me so this morning we walked our neighborhood together. 45 minutes and nearly three miles.

My dog is still panting. :)

• Like 2
I went for a walk/jog with my dog last night and saw my friend around the corner while we were out. She said she'd like to start walking with me so this morning we walked our neighborhood together. 45 minutes and nearly three miles.

My dog is still panting. :)

For breakfast I'm drinking a protein drink and eating Triscuits.

Lunch pasta.

Dinner is chicken legs and salad.

• Like 1
amaysngrace
For breakfast I'm drinking a protein drink and eating Triscuits.

Lunch pasta.

Dinner is chicken legs and salad.

I'm trying to find a recipe for muffins I made before but the internet is a very big place.

I think I'm going to make anelas chicken in the crockpot with pomegranate juice. That sounds so good.

• Like 1
I'm trying to find a recipe for muffins I made before but the internet is a very big place.

I think I'm going to make anelas chicken in the crockpot with pomegranate juice. That sounds so good.

Let us know how it turns out.

I'm in so much pain right now. There isn't a muscle on my body that feels OK. I pushed myself too much.

My shoulders look the same. I've been trying to put on some muscle on them but it's not happening. :mad:

• Like 1
Grumpybutfun
Good to have you aboard, Grumpy.

Two questions:

1) How do you work in the time for all of those workouts? Empty nester? No kids? Extremely autonomous kids? Or just very disciplined?

2) Were you being sarcastic about your wife being thrilled? Haha I couldn't tell...after all, it seems a trip to Hawaii is involved.

Thanks. Today I got in my run, my swim, and my bike ride...had time for weightlifting with some MMA sparring at gym. I ate well, but need to amp up my protein when I start logging in more hours.

1. I am retired USN so I stay in competitive form throughout the year. I spend a few hours in the gym five time a week....amateur competing MMA fighter....started competitively boxing a few years ago...gym also serves as a dojo. I do weights, sled work, rope work, medicine ball, cowbells, and Muay Thai there three to four days a week while my wife is working or volunteering.

My wife and I run together, hike, swim or she will try to kill me with yoga almost everyday. We are empty nesters. My kids are in their twenties. Even when they weren't, they just exercised with us. We raised them to think exercise was as natural as bathing or eating. I am an engineering (troubleshooter) consultant so I work from home and travel five to six times a month. I work for myself so I can make my own schedule. I schedule it around physical activity. We also have a gym at home....we don't spend a lot of time watching tv and this is my only social media...loveshack.

2. I was being facetious. She never goes as my Iron Man/Tough Mudder Races are usually with my buddies I've participated with for years. We started IM when I was stationed in Pearl Harbor...there are four and we travel and do fitness or extreme sports activities. She will be less than thrilled because I get obsessive in training...always have. She is a good sport, but she likes to have me not forget to clean the stalls or pick up milk because I'm training. However, she likes my hardcore training body as I can get pretty lean and sculpted. I'm objectified daily.

Ok, off for food...good luck everyone,

G

• Like 4
fitnessfan365

^^^

I like the fact that you work in both the sled and battle ropes Grumpy. Both are insanely good/intense conditioning tools that have many benefits. I also respect the fact that you always strive to stay in top form. That's always been my mindset as well and why I train like a college athlete 5-6x per week. Do you ever do full push-up burpees? Since you're into hardcore training and MMA conditioning, I'm guessing you do. But I still say it's one of the best full body exercises you can do for general fitness.

• Like 1
  • Author

I'm in so much pain right now. There isn't a muscle on my body that feels OK. I pushed myself too much.

My shoulders look the same. I've been trying to put on some muscle on them but it's not happening. :mad:

Sounds like someone needs a rest day. Overworking yourself discourages muscle growth because muscles need recovery time to build/repair themselves and get a little stronger after strenuous activity. I think you already knew that but I guess I'm just saying don't feel bad about taking a day off! :)

• Like 1
  • Author

Well I busted out an old polo shirt for work today and it fits pretty well...maybe like a 7 on a 1-10 "fit scale" but certainly good enough to wear to work. My hope is that by the end of this Challenge that I've shed a few more pounds and another inch or so from my waist and that this shirt fits like a glove.

2000-2200 calories a day seems to be my sweet spot. I'm usually on the higher end of that. I'm consuming tons of protein (150 to 175 grams daily) and drinking tons of water.

• Like 3
Sounds like someone needs a rest day. Overworking yourself discourages muscle growth because muscles need recovery time to build/repair themselves and get a little stronger after strenuous activity. I think you already knew that but I guess I'm just saying don't feel bad about taking a day off! :)

I can't; the garden calls and to refuse her would be evil. :p

thefooloftheyear

Forget spring.....75+ today,...Summer is here already!:laugh:

Good job everyone....:D

I was on kill all winter....Beast mode....then sustained a pec tendon injury about a week ago....:mad:..No bruising evident, and there has been no noticeable deformation of the pec muscle..so there is some hope its not too bad..

Just a few weeks before, after watching the NFL rookie combines and taking a friendly bet with a buddy, did a solid 29 reps with 225 on an incline bench, and was doing 405 for couple rep shots....I try not to go too crazy on the bench anymore....Practically every injury Ive ever sustained, Ive gotten on the bench...Its a killer..

Anyway, trying not to get down over it...Injuries are part of this game and its getting harder as I got older...I have an MRI sched for early next week and hopefully its not that bad..I wont let this get me down..No way..

I generally don't do much cardio in the winter as I hate stationary machines with a passion and where this equipment is in the gym is ridiculously hot...

The nice weather is great....Back to hills and sprints and just tuned up the bike...Looking forward to it..:)

Im just over 50...5'6/7" 224# caliper measured BF around 15%...Looking for 205-210 in a few months...

Be well everyone and stay strong...

TFY

• Like 3
amaysngrace

My legs are killing me too from jogging with my dog. They get tight a lot and stairs are a killer so I just keep stretching them.

Today my friend and I walked even more than we did yesterday and my Fitbit registers it as a brisk walk on activity level.

Made the muffins, they're nice but didn't get to make the chicken until today because I needed some stuff in the house, like chicken. It's cooking now though.

fitnessfan365

Got in a nasty hill running workout today. The hill is at least 30% incline and 150 yards plus in length. Managed ten rounds where I sprinted all the way up, and briskly walked down. Took me between 30-35 minutes. It's amazing how good of a workout you can get in only 30 minutes if you push yourself hard enough.

• Like 2
Got in a nasty hill running workout today. The hill is at least 30% incline and 150 yards plus in length. Managed ten rounds where I sprinted all the way up, and briskly walked down. Took me between 30-35 minutes. It's amazing how good of a workout you can get in only 30 minutes if you push yourself hard enough.

I worked my muscles to failure today. I will not work in the garden tomorrow. I hope it rains.

• Like 3
fitnessfan365

TFOTY - I suffered a pec tear years and years ago benching. I can still hear the sound of the tearing as the bar got closer and closer to my chest. I actually haven't done bench press since and replaced with weighted push-ups.

BTW - There is so much "cardio" you can do that requires no stationary equipment of any kind. Sled pushing, battle ropes, jump rope, running actual stairs indoors, burpees, etc.. You can also do things like barbel complexes. Stick 115lbs on the bar. Then do ten deadlifts, ten barbel rows, ten standing military press, ten deep squats, and ten lunges per leg all back to back with no rest. Then put the bar down, rest 90 secs, and repeat. Five rounds of this should take less than 30 minutes. But it will give you a brutal conditioning workout and by the fifth round, that light 115 will feel heavy as hell. LOL

• Like 1
  • Author

BAM! It's the midway point of the challenge! We'll end this one on March 31st!

I'm focusing on upping the intensity of my cardio this week! Faster and harder, but not necessarily longer. Who has enough time for long marathon sessions anyway?

Wait...I guess that could be interpreted in another way. Oops.

• Like 1
amaysngrace

Every day my active minutes go up and up and up! I already have in over an hour and fifteen minutes today!

Walking with my friend isn't going to last. She pooped out early today so it's just me and my dog for now. We kept going.

I've been trying to stick to a 1200/day caloric intake but I get so hungry at night. Are you suppose to go to bed starving hungry? Because I can't. A little hungry maybe but I get uncomfortably hungry.

Is that normal to be so hungry when you're trying to lose weight?

Anyway thanks for making this thread. It got me going during a really tough time in my life. :)

• Like 2
fitnessfan365

I'm focusing on upping the intensity of my cardio this week! Faster and harder, but not necessarily longer. Who has enough time for long marathon sessions anyway?

Wait...I guess that could be interpreted in another way. Oops.

Actually MP, the right mindset to have is that it is a year round commitment. There is no end date. ;) But if you want an INTENSE and effective cardio routine, start doing burpees.

Do them like the women in this video. Squatting hands to the ground, jumping back, holding for a split second allowing you to do a strict push-up, jump your feet back in, and then do a full jump out of the bottom. Land and repeat the process.

Start out doing 10 sets of 10 with 60-90 seconds rest between. BRUTAL.