Getting Ready for Spring! 6-Week Weight Loss Challenge

Did a pull-ups (slow/controlled dead hang) and stair run workout yesterday.

8 pull-ups

12 flights of stairs ran

8 pull-ups

12 flights of stairs ran

7 pull-ups

12 flights of stairs ran

7 pull-ups

12 flights of stairs ran

Etc... Descended down until I had completed the last two sets of four pull-ups for a grand total of 60 pull-ups and 120 flights of stairs. Went pretty much non stop for 40 minutes w/o ever stopping. Sometimes rotating between two basic exercises is all you need.

That is an intense workout! I need someone in the gym to show me how to use the assisted pull-up machine. I can only do exercises that don't put too much pressure on my back.

If you'd like to learn how to do a pull-up, I would recommend you start with "jumping pull-ups" rather than one of those assisted pull-up machines.

fitnessfan365
That is an intense workout! I need someone in the gym to show me how to use the assisted pull-up machine. I can only do exercises that don't put too much pressure on my back.

Yeah my training style is definitely high intensity. I love the challenge and feeling of accomplishment when I finish. Like today for example. Rotated between 60 yard round trip sled pushes @ 225lbs with battle rope slams. Six rounds of each. Then got in some various jump rope exercises. My least favorite jump rope movement is running high knees. Those suck..LOL

Now personally, I think the weight assist pull-up machine gets a bad wrap. Are jumping pull-ups a good starter to pull-ups? Yes. But for someone who doesn't have the confidence for pull-ups in general. I find the assist machine to be a good introduction. Then once that gets relatively easy with the least amount of assistance, you start doing jump pull-ups and eventually regular ones.

• Like 3
Yeah my training style is definitely high intensity. I love the challenge and feeling of accomplishment when I finish. Like today for example. Rotated between 60 yard round trip sled pushes @ 225lbs with battle rope slams. Six rounds of each. Then got in some various jump rope exercises. My least favorite jump rope movement is running high knees. Those suck..LOL

Now personally, I think the weight assist pull-up machine gets a bad wrap. Are jumping pull-ups a good starter to pull-ups? Yes. But for someone who doesn't have the confidence for pull-ups in general. I find the assist machine to be a good introduction. Then once that gets relatively easy with the least amount of assistance, you start doing jump pull-ups and eventually regular ones.

I think the assisted pull-up machine will be good for me. Right now I have two body goals. One is to get long toned lower body muscles which I can accomplish doing Barre, Ballet exercises, Pilates and Yoga. The other is to get a little more muscle mass on my upper body, mainly my back and shoulders. Not big muscles but a little more muscles so my lower and upper body have better symmetry. Push-ups are great. Also, I want to strengthen my core. I DON'T want six pack abs, but just a little more definition would be nice. I'm looking for that ballerina look as best as I can get it since I have curves. No ballerina in the world has hips and a butt like me...LOL.

For anyone who likes ballet inspired exercises this woman makes great videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CleZelki_L8

Edited by Summer3
  • Like 2
fitnessfan365

I don't know what the extent of your back problems are. But incorporating squats, lunges, step ups, weighted stair climbing, etc will do wonders for your lower body. It will also raise your metabolic rate and result in more calories burned. I always tell all my clients - male and female - that if you want your whole body to look good, you need to do strength training with your lower body. An added benefit of lower body strength work is that it also gives you some decent cardiovascular work in the process.

• Like 4
I don't know what the extent of your back problems are. But incorporating squats, lunges, step ups, weighted stair climbing, etc will do wonders for your lower body. It will also raise your metabolic rate and result in more calories burned. I always tell all my clients - male and female - that if you want your whole body to look good, you need to do strength training with your lower body. An added benefit of lower body strength work is that it also gives you some decent cardiovascular work in the process.

Squats and lunges are great. I have problems with herniated disks in lower back. At this point I have a good idea what I can and cannot do. I can't put heavy weights over my head or do lunges with weights since it compresses my spine. I can't pick up the big shovel in the garden and use it due to twisting. And jumping actions are out of the question. Other than that I'm fine. I have great flexibility.

Lots of stretching, yoga, pilates, core, ballet and barre make my back happy. :laugh:

• Author

Good Monday morning to all,

Summer, I possess a "full" backside so I can sympathize. I'm trying to introduce some yoga this week even if it's just 20 minutes of trying to copy stuff on Youtube. I'm a little sore from running this weekend so I want to work on flexibility and stretching.

Fitnessfan, you sound like a beast. I know you eat and breathe fitness for a living. Per your recommendations, I've been upping calories a bit but I probably need to up them a bit more...I've lost 5.6 lbs in about 10 days but I've also been MUCH more active than I normally am. I don't want to lose any muscle though so I'll increase eating this week.

Meal plan for today:

1) Special K breakfast sandwich and banana

2) Meal replacement shake

3) Grilled chicken with salad and greek yogurt

4) Nuts, cheese and turkey mixture

5) Indian chicken with rice (and raw veggies as a side)

6) Peanut butter sandwich and berries

It should be in the 2200-2400 calorie range.

• Like 2
Good Monday morning to all,

Summer, I possess a "full" backside so I can sympathize. I'm trying to introduce some yoga this week even if it's just 20 minutes of trying to copy stuff on Youtube. I'm a little sore from running this weekend so I want to work on flexibility and stretching.

Fitnessfan, you sound like a beast. I know you eat and breathe fitness for a living. Per your recommendations, I've been upping calories a bit but I probably need to up them a bit more...I've lost 5.6 lbs in about 10 days but I've also been MUCH more active than I normally am. I don't want to lose any muscle though so I'll increase eating this week.

Meal plan for today:

1) Special K breakfast sandwich and banana

2) Meal replacement shake

3) Grilled chicken with salad and greek yogurt

4) Nuts, cheese and turkey mixture

5) Indian chicken with rice (and raw veggies as a side)

6) Peanut butter sandwich and berries

It should be in the 2200-2400 calorie range.

Nice!

I'm going to Costco today to get a massive amount of superfoods. (Then I'll turn into Supergirl. :bunny: )

Here is a good stretching link for you:

• Like 1
  • Author

Here's Supergirl for ya...

https://www.google.com/search?q=melissa+benoist+supergirl+image&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiSmqPMnJ3LAhXDs4MKHZh6DB4QsAQIHA&biw=1920&bih=979#imgrc=8R4HYFd9JYKFgM%3A

And I checked out that stretching video. I could do that in my office during lunch hour if I brought in some workout clothes and a mat. And the cute instructor doesn't hurt at all.

• Like 1

Hi Everyone

I lost a pound in weight this week - yippee!! It's taken a lot of exercising just to get rid of that single pound lol

Anyway, I have started using weights as part of my aerobic exercising - cardio then weights then cardio etc. Although I am only using 3lb weights at moment, how many reps do I need to do to start seeing some toning in upper arms and body? The DVD runs through 12 reps for each weight exercise and there are 10 of these exercises interspersed with 10 cardio exercises. i try to do them 3 times a week.

I know 3lb doesn't sound like a lot - but since I have been doing yoga regularly, i have increased from 2lb weights and no longer feel tired when using them. For me this is a huge improvement as i have always had weak upper body.

• Like 3
Hi Everyone

I lost a pound in weight this week - yippee!! It's taken a lot of exercising just to get rid of that single pound lol

Anyway, I have started using weights as part of my aerobic exercising - cardio then weights then cardio etc. Although I am only using 3lb weights at moment, how many reps do I need to do to start seeing some toning in upper arms and body? The DVD runs through 12 reps for each weight exercise and there are 10 of these exercises interspersed with 10 cardio exercises. i try to do them 3 times a week.

I know 3lb doesn't sound like a lot - but since I have been doing yoga regularly, i have increased from 2lb weights and no longer feel tired when using them. For me this is a huge improvement as i have always had weak upper body.

If you're just getting started you will love Jessica Smith. She has tons of free videos. If you join youtube you can ask her questions:

https://www.youtube.com/user/jessicasmithtv

(She's my Youtube Guru!)

• Author
Hi Everyone

I'd say go up on weights but very slowly. You want to be sure you can perform all exercises with correct form with no jerking...smooth is the key..and with full range of motion. You'll notice a huge difference with 5 lb dumbbells since you're doing 120 reps total. It's hard to say when you should move up though..much of it is knowing your body and knowing when you're ready to crank it up.

Thanks MP. This is why i moved from 2lb to 3lb - it felt too easy. I did try lifting a 5lb weight in shop while i was buying the other weights, but quickly let it go!

I just don't want to get bored whilst waiting for results lol

fitnessfan365
Fitnessfan, you sound like a beast. I know you eat and breathe fitness for a living. Per your recommendations, I've been upping calories a bit but I probably need to up them a bit more...

Yeah I train balls to the wall every time I work out. Like tonight for example. I will be doing an hour workout with a buddy of mine (he's a trainer as well). We're looking at 30 work sets keeping a 30 on / 90 off interval ratio. It's gonna be an ass kicker.

12 push-up burpees and 50 battle rope power slams x 5

12 TRX rpws and 50 rope hip tosses x 5

12 jumping lunges per leg and 50 rope waves per arm x 5

It'll probably be one of the more challenging workouts I've done in awhile. But glad to hear that you're upping your calories. As suspected, you're actually starting to do better eating more. Keep posting updates!

Yeah I train balls to the wall every time I work out. Like tonight for example. I will be doing an hour workout with a buddy of mine (he's a trainer as well). We're looking at 30 work sets keeping a 30 on / 90 off interval ratio. It's gonna be an ass kicker.

12 push-up burpees and 50 battle rope power slams x 5

12 TRX rpws and 50 rope hip tosses x 5

12 jumping lunges per leg and 50 rope waves per arm x 5

It'll probably be one of the more challenging workouts I've done in awhile. But glad to hear that you're upping your calories. As suspected, you're actually starting to do better eating more. Keep posting updates!

..wow. Well, now I feel a little stupid saying I'm going to take Pilates today. I mean there won't be any balls to wall but it's a good workout. :o

Had salmon, greens and roasted sweet potatoes last night. It came out good! My culinary skills are improving. :lmao:

Also, got on scale: 125 and steady! Husband says I'm in bikini shape. Yay!!!!!

Edited by Summer3
  • Like 3
loveweary11

Taking a down week.

Off DAA, off training, getting massive boat work done with a new employee hired.

Next week, back on the grind to look good for Miami Music Week / Ultra the following week.

Taking a down week.

Off DAA, off training, getting massive boat work done with a new employee hired.

Next week, back on the grind to look good for Miami Music Week / Ultra the following week.

What's DAA?

Miami Music Week sounds amazing. I have no idea what Ultra is.

Nice on the boat work!

fitnessfan365

OH.MY.GOD

That workout last night will go down as the hardest one I've done in the last few years. I mean I've done a ton of brutal workouts. But mentally it's been a very long time since I pushed myself to the point of actually wanting to give up. My threshold for pain/exercise is very high, but I pushed through with pure will for the last 15 minutes. It also helped that my buddy was there doing the workout with me.

12 full push-up burpees / 50 battle rope slams x 5 rounds each - Most normal people would be spent on this combo alone. Mentally it was taxing because we had to keep going for another 40 plus minutes after this. Definitely the hardest combo we did, but I am glad we got it done first. No way we could have done this at the end.

12 TRX Rows / 50 battle rope hip tosses (25 per side) x 5 rounds each - This is where I was starting to lose it. Mainly because my arms were already pretty spent from all the push-ups in the burpees and the rope slams. But then to throw 60 inverted row pull-ups on top of it..LOL By the fifth round, I could barely lift my arms.

12 jumping lunges per leg / 50 rope waves per arm x 5 - This is what took pure will for me. Adding on 60 plyo lunges after all the other lower body already involved in the workout was insult to injury..LOL The waves put the finishing touches on my arms.

** Usual program design is either fewer sets with higher volume, or more sets with less volume. But we did high sets and high volume. Now looking back, I have to admit that 5 sets of every exercise definitely seemed like overkill. Especially with such high rep ranges. However, we felt like we majorly accomplished something making it through "The Gauntlet". Especially since I am 220 and my buddy is 233. When you're heavier, you do burn more calories but it's obviously harder as well.

Edited by fitnessfan365
  • Like 2
OH.MY.GOD

That workout last night will go down as the hardest one I've done in the last few years. I mean I've done a ton of brutal workouts. But mentally it's been a very long time since I pushed myself to the point of actually wanting to give up. My threshold for pain/exercise is very high, but I pushed through with pure will for the last 15 minutes. It also helped that my buddy was there doing the workout with me.

12 full push-up burpees / 50 battle rope slams x 5 rounds each - Most normal people would be spent on this combo alone. Mentally it was taxing because we had to keep going for another 40 plus minutes after this. Definitely the hardest combo we did, but I am glad we got it done first. No way we could have done this at the end.

12 TRX Rows / 50 battle rope hip tosses (25 per side) x 5 rounds each - This is where I was starting to lose it. Mainly because my arms were already pretty spent from all the push-ups in the burpees and the rope slams. But then to throw 60 inverted row pull-ups on top of it..LOL By the fifth round, I could barely lift my arms.

12 jumping lunges per leg / 50 rope waves per arm x 5 - This is what took pure will for me. Adding on 60 plyo lunges after all the other lower body already involved in the workout was insult to injury..LOL The waves put the finishing touches on my arms.

** Usual program design is either fewer sets with higher volume, or more sets with less volume. But we did high sets and high volume. Now looking back, I have to admit that 5 sets of every exercise definitely seemed like overkill. Especially with such high rep ranges. However, we felt like we majorly accomplished something making it through "The Gauntlet". Especially since I am 220 and my buddy is 233. When you're heavier, you do burn more calories but it's obviously harder as well.

It sounds like you've been working out for a long time and really know your stuff!

hasaquestion

The most brutal workouts I've ever done were college cross country ones. I didn't run cross country in HS (just track) but I joined it in college. One that stands out from late in the season: 1600-1200-800-400-800-600-400-200 with 3 mins rest in between each. I remember some of the times but I'm not sharing that...

My legs are sore from yesterday's workout. I'm only going to do a little stretching today.

I wish Spring was here. I miss the garden.

• Author

Heavy rains have stopped my lunchtime runs, but today the coast (although to be accurate, there is no coast here) is clear. No rain in sight. So I'll try to knock out a lunchtime 5k to make up for missing the last two days.

I have no interest of being a long-distance runner or wearing those tight running shorts. I'd like to be able to knock out a 5k 2-3 times per week and then focus on quickening my pace and maybe throwing in some HIIT sessions during the runs.

Diet has been clean although I did have a double serving of dinner last night because my body was saying, "Feeeeeed meeeee chicken and rice and raw veggieeeees."

• Like 1

STOP!!! everyone - you are putting me to shame with my gentle yoga and aerobics with 3lb weights!!!

Something for me to aspire to - I used to do a little running (I did 2, 5k races way back when) before I inexplicably just gave up!! I would like to take up running again but always worry about damage it might be doing to knees? Am I just listening to hype or is there something in it? (I never know what to believe on internet). However I would now be more of a slow jogger than an actual runner!!

• Like 2
STOP!!! everyone - you are putting me to shame with my gentle yoga and aerobics with 3lb weights!!!

Something for me to aspire to - I used to do a little running (I did 2, 5k races way back when) before I inexplicably just gave up!! I would like to take up running again but always worry about damage it might be doing to knees? Am I just listening to hype or is there something in it? (I never know what to believe on internet). However I would now be more of a slow jogger than an actual runner!!

You're putting me to shame with your yoga and 3lb weights. ;) I used to work out, but haven't been well enough to do as much as I used to, and I also no longer have the motivation.

I'm not a runner, but you could look into rebounders (where you bounce/do whatever the instructor does, in one place). I have one in the basement, and it used to be one of my favourite workouts.