Getting Ready for Spring! 6-Week Weight Loss Challenge

Hi Aniela

Never heard of that! I will look into it. I love doing the yoga, and can usually be motivated to get my ass in gear to do some most days, but I sometimes lack the effort needed to do the aerobics and weights. Summer sent me a link regarding other weight and aerobic workouts recently so I have now have several to choose from, so at least I won't get bored doing same routine.

Sorry you no longer have the motivation - it's crap when you feel like that. The only reason I am getting back into it is due to my partner not being able to decide if it's me or the o/w he wants to be with ... and I need to rid myself of the sh*tty thoughts! At least exercising and weight loss gives me reason to look in mirror and be able to smile again - if only for a short time. Ho hum.

You're putting me to shame with your yoga and 3lb weights. ;) I used to work out, but haven't been well enough to do as much as I used to, and I also no longer have the motivation.

I'm not a runner, but you could look into rebounders (where you bounce/do whatever the instructor does, in one place). I have one in the basement, and it used to be one of my favourite workouts.

We can motivate you Aniela. It's hard to get started. This is an easy, easy workout:

Hi Aniela

Never heard of that! I will look into it. I love doing the yoga, and can usually be motivated to get my ass in gear to do some most days, but I sometimes lack the effort needed to do the aerobics and weights. Summer sent me a link regarding other weight and aerobic workouts recently so I have now have several to choose from, so at least I won't get bored doing same routine.

Sorry you no longer have the motivation - it's crap when you feel like that. The only reason I am getting back into it is due to my partner not being able to decide if it's me or the o/w he wants to be with ... and I need to rid myself of the sh*tty thoughts! At least exercising and weight loss gives me reason to look in mirror and be able to smile again - if only for a short time. Ho hum.

I'm sorry about the situation but I'm glad you decided to join the thread.

hasaquestion
STOP!!! everyone - you are putting me to shame with my gentle yoga and aerobics with 3lb weights!!!

Something for me to aspire to - I used to do a little running (I did 2, 5k races way back when) before I inexplicably just gave up!! I would like to take up running again but always worry about damage it might be doing to knees? Am I just listening to hype or is there something in it? (I never know what to believe on internet). However I would now be more of a slow jogger than an actual runner!!

Impossible to say without examining your form. Running/jogging with poor form can get you hurt easily and an economical stride can take you thousands of miles with knees like a baby.

Do you have any reason to believe running is dangerous to you?

Hi Hasaquestion

Well, I tried jogging some years ago, when I was quite unfit, in an attempt to get fit. I did have proper running shoes, and I only ever did about 5km in one hit. I did go to the gym a lot then and use the treadmills (I actually preferred these to the road) but as I said I gave up, after about a year. I wouldn't have a clue about form! Does mis-shapen count?! lol

I used to jog with a friend, she was actually in a running club and took pity on me. She mentioned she sometimes had issues with her knees and from what I have read in the media just put me off a little. Of course being overweight and unfit didn't help too much with my 'form' either I suppose!

• Like 1

thank you Summer. I'm glad I joined too. Gets me away from the 'break-up' and coping threads for a while!

• Like 1
  • Author
thank you Summer. I'm glad I joined too. Gets me away from the 'break-up' and coping threads for a while!

Kat, I'm also happy you joined! And you're exactly right; focusing on health and fitness can be a great distraction from other issues that tend to consume our time and energy. I think a lot of us are in that (crowded) boat.

• Like 2
hasaquestion
Hi Hasaquestion

Well, I tried jogging some years ago, when I was quite unfit, in an attempt to get fit. I did have proper running shoes, and I only ever did about 5km in one hit. I did go to the gym a lot then and use the treadmills (I actually preferred these to the road) but as I said I gave up, after about a year. I wouldn't have a clue about form! Does mis-shapen count?! lol

I used to jog with a friend, she was actually in a running club and took pity on me. She mentioned she sometimes had issues with her knees and from what I have read in the media just put me off a little. Of course being overweight and unfit didn't help too much with my 'form' either I suppose!

I see. I wasn't sure how big you're thinking with this. Go for it, it won't kill you! For the sake of knowing, here's some advice.

1. Keep the distance light for now.

2. If you're going to run, do a little warm up jog, then do skips. Butt kicks, high knees, A-skips, B-skips, C-skips, cariocas, walking lunges, spidermans. On grass is better than pavement if possible. After that you'll be primed to put in some work.

3. If you're REALLY curious about the form stuff, just as an FYI, check out the following pictures from google. Its good to know at best, and if you want to go forward with running more its worth keeping in mind, especially if you go to buy new shoes.

Arch height:

Flat

Medium

High

If you go to the store to buy running shoes find an associate who knows what they're doing and tell them this. The shoes are $$$ so you better get one that fits you.

Foot angles:

Supination

Neutral pronation

Overpronation

This is something that correlates with arch height but doesn't necessarily follow from it - people with high arches tend to supinate (this is the category I fall in) and vice versa. Again, if you're paying for snazzy new running shoes make sure the associate shows you pairs that complement your mechanics. If that means jogging in front of them you can do that.

Foot strikes:

Forefoot strike

Midfoot strike

Heel strike

The former and the latter are what you want to avoid. The middle is the most economical. If you are overweight then the third one might feel more natural. If you find yourself landing on the heel, err on the side of a shorter stride to keep things midfoot.

The big idea is that when you watch a strong runner and cover up their lower body you'll see their torso and head are largely still, rather than bobbing up or down. This absence of vertical motion is a symptom of the the fact that they are efficiently propelling themselves forwards, rather than up-and-down, which causes stress. So when you go ahead and run, take a moment to think about maintaining a 'still' gait with little vertical buckle at the knees with each stride.

EDIT: By the way, I broke up with someone in November, so I feel you. There's always silver linings.

Edited by hasaquestion
  • Like 1

WOW! That is an awful lot of info to digest for me to carry out a humble jog!! However I will look into this, as when the weather clears (snowing again at moment) so like sometime in May perhaps! I may be ready physically to take this on board. I am always envious of people who I see running and they look so comfortable - I didn't realise it was such an art form! (I am more of a Jackson Pollack kind of runner - splat splat!)

• Author

Ran/walked a 5k (in the snow) at lunchtime. Felt freaking awesome.

Now I'm trying to wait at least 30 minutes before I eat lunch to take advantage of the "fat burning" mode my body is in at the moment.

Oh and hey! Today marks the 1/3 mark of the Challenge. Two weeks down, four to go!

• Like 1
fitnessfan365

My ankle is slightly tweaked from a very intense jump rope workout I did earlier in the week.

So today, I focused on keeping my feet stable without impact. This eliminates burpees, sled pushing, and any sort of hills or other running like stairs. So I did battle rope slams super-setted with plyo clapping push-ups (four sets each). Then I did walking lunges (15 per leg) super-setted with battle rope hip tosses (four each). Then did four sets of pull-ups and some battle rope waves. Whole workout took an hour and felt good after.

I am hoping my ankle will be at 100% by next week so I can get back to my full routine. Luckily right now it feels like a very minor strain so as long as I avoid any high impact on my feet, I should be good.

• Like 1
My ankle is slightly tweaked from a very intense jump rope workout I did earlier in the week.

So today, I focused on keeping my feet stable without impact. This eliminates burpees, sled pushing, and any sort of hills or other running like stairs. So I did battle rope slams super-setted with plyo clapping push-ups (four sets each). Then I did walking lunges (15 per leg) super-setted with battle rope hip tosses (four each). Then did four sets of pull-ups and some battle rope waves. Whole workout took an hour and felt good after.

I am hoping my ankle will be at 100% by next week so I can get back to my full routine. Luckily right now it feels like a very minor strain so as long as I avoid any high impact on my feet, I should be good.

Now ya gotta post progress pics.

;)

Going to Puerto Rico for spring break so need to be back.

26/f/5'4

My plan via Myfitnesspal:

1200 calories a day

30 minutes of cardio 3-5 days a week

15 minutes of strength training 3-5 days a week

Weighed 144, last measured in January

Started Myfitnesspal 10 days ago

Currently at 140, measured today

Ideal weight: 130 pounds.

I look better with a little extra weight on me :o

• Like 1
Going to Puerto Rico for spring break so need to be back.

26/f/5'4

My plan via Myfitnesspal:

1200 calories a day

30 minutes of cardio 3-5 days a week

15 minutes of strength training 3-5 days a week

Weighed 144, last measured in January

Started Myfitnesspal 10 days ago

Currently at 140, measured today

Ideal weight: 130 pounds.

I look better with a little extra weight on me :o

I loved Fitness Pal for three days and then I deactivated my account. LOL. I can't deal with all the food journaling. Let me know how you like it.

fitnessfan365

Sat - Strapped on my 40lb weight vest to take my body weight up to 260. Then did 100 flights of stairs broken down into ten rounds of ten flights. Walked every other step to get more of a lunge movement and one at a time on the way down. Only took 45-60 seconds rest between rounds and finished in 45 minutes.

Today - Burpee walkabout around my apartment complex. Outside my apartment, I do 12 full push-up burpees. Then I walk for 60-90 seconds to recover and pop down for another set of 12. Then right back up and back to walking, etc.. Kept going until I'd gotten through 10 sets for 120 burpees total. The reason why this is mentally hard is because you can never stop. You're either doing burpees or walking. At half way after the first 60 burpees, I wanted to stop and lean over so badly. But kept going.. Overall I think burpees are one of the best overall strength/conditioning exercises you can do.

• Like 1
Tonight my husband is making a roasted duck. Here is the calorie count:

https://www.caloriecount.com/calories-duck-meat-only-i5142

Lots of protein.

Also, he's making broccoli & carrots.

(My husband is awesome :love: )

Today, I did light cardio and stretch. I still weight 125 pounds. The scale isn't moving.:mad:

I think I read if you are already slim/petite, it takes a while longer for those pounds to disappear. A person whose 200 pounds sheds weight faster than someone 120. But don't give up!:laugh:

Down to 139 today.

• Like 2

I took a bunch of bathing suit shots a couple of days ago. I'm happy with the progress but I'm looking at them and ripping myself apart. Plus, I keep comparing myself with other women which is never healthy.

I want to continue my fitness goals but I don't want to be so critical of myself. Is anyone else going through this?

loveweary11
I took a bunch of bathing suit shots a couple of days ago. I'm happy with the progress but I'm looking at them and ripping myself apart. Plus, I keep comparing myself with other women which is never healthy.

I want to continue my fitness goals but I don't want to be so critical of myself. Is anyone else going through this?

Yes.

Every day of my life as I walk around and most of the guys I'm comparing with are 10 years or more younger than me.

I feel it's healthy. Gives you motivation to be the best you can be. Helps you reach your personal best.

Back on the grind and back on the suppliments today for an intense week of lifting to get my final shape for Miami Music Week. Gonna be a hard week.

• Like 1
Yes.

Every day of my life as I walk around and most of the guys I'm comparing with are 10 years or more younger than me.

I feel it's healthy. Gives you motivation to be the best you can be. Helps you reach your personal best.

Back on the grind and back on the suppliments today for an intense week of lifting to get my final shape for Miami Music Week. Gonna be a hard week.

It's true about the motivation. I shoved a banana down my throat for breakfast and now I'm doing Cardio Barre workouts.

(I'm not even competing with real women. I'm competing with pictures of women and the competition is all in my head.)

Nice that you're lifting again. Push-ups and sit ups are always good.

Yes.

I like to make the young guys at the gym look bad. It ticks them off when they can't keep up.

• Like 2
I like to make the young guys at the gym look bad. It ticks them off when they can't keep up.

What kind of workouts do you do?

• Author

Robert, I want to be able to do the same. Late 30's here, and yeah the 20-something guys at the gym think they are all that, wearing tank tops with arm sleeves cut down to their waists. I even saw some super ripped dude wearing a hooded tank top to work out in. First of all, why would you buy (or sell) a hooted tank top??

Anyways, I'm many (many) "Challenges" away from pushing the 20-somethings like you're apparently able to do, but you're right; it's a goal, and a healthy one.

I'm down 7.4 lbs since this Challenge started and I'm working myself hard and eating super clean, but I probably needed to lose 25-30 lbs, so some of this is going to come off more easily than with someone already in pretty good shape.

• Like 1
amaysngrace

I'm afraid to get on the scale because last time I did I gained weight by eating clean.

So I ate Girl Scout cookies instead because it didn't matter.

Now I've been measuring all my food and have been keeping track of all my steps with my Fitbit but I'm mostly slumped out and depressed from losing my ma but okay, I'll go see how much I weigh after I get naked....

Omg....I lost 4 lbs! :bunny:

• Like 7
I'm afraid to get on the scale because last time I did I gained weight by eating clean.

So I ate Girl Scout cookies instead because it didn't matter.

Now I've been measuring all my food and have been keeping track of all my steps with my Fitbit but I'm mostly slumped out and depressed from losing my ma but okay, I'll go see how much I weigh after I get naked....

Omg....I lost 4 lbs! :bunny:

I didn't know you lost your mom. I'm so sorry.

• Like 1