Getting Ready for Spring! 6-Week Weight Loss Challenge

Damn, Midwest.

Now that makes it a challenge... :(

Did the body building have anything to do with the knee injury?

Amy wisdom on how to avoid that?

• Like 1
Any suggestions from peeps with serious back troubles are welcome.

I'm 54, btw.

It's funny that you ask. I was thinking of putting together some "Bad Back Cardio Videos" on youtube. But I'm not sure LOL. In the meantime here are some good links:

https://www.t-nation.com/training/how-to-train-like-a-bad-ass-even-with-a-bad-back

(Jessica Smith is my fave :love: )

• Like 2
  • Author

Well it's Monday and I'm ready for a week full of exercise and healthy diet decisions. The needle didn't go down much (see my signature) but it's only been 4 days on the Challenge.

My meals today will be:

1) Special K breakfast sandwich

2) nuts/cheese/turkey protein pack with raw veggies (tomatoes, carrots, peppers, celery and snap peas).

3) Chili with side of vanilla Greek yogurt

4) Protein shake

5) Turkey meatballs with whole wheat pasta and spinach salad (dinner)

6) (if I'm hungry) half a peanut butter sandwich or some berries

This is getting me up in the 1800-2000 calorie range. I plan to take a 30-minute lunchtime walk/run, weather permitting. I worked out with weights Friday-Sunday, so no weight training today.

What's everyone else's plan for today??

No exercise today. (weight lifting)

Just the typical 40 minute walk and hauling of 28 gallons of water in 7 gallon jugs. :lmao:

Well it's Monday and I'm ready for a week full of exercise and healthy diet decisions. The needle didn't go down much (see my signature) but it's only been 4 days on the Challenge.

My meals today will be:

1) Special K breakfast sandwich

2) nuts/cheese/turkey protein pack with raw veggies (tomatoes, carrots, peppers, celery and snap peas).

3) Chili with side of vanilla Greek yogurt

4) Protein shake

5) Turkey meatballs with whole wheat pasta and spinach salad (dinner)

6) (if I'm hungry) half a peanut butter sandwich or some berries

This is getting me up in the 1800-2000 calorie range. I plan to take a 30-minute lunchtime walk/run, weather permitting. I worked out with weights Friday-Sunday, so no weight training today.

What's everyone else's plan for today??

Drinking a protein drink now.

Today, I do some light cardio, deep stretching and walk the dog. Tomorrow I hit the gym.

Weight is a steady 126.

2 cookies shows great restraint and self discipline. Very few calories. I wouldn't think about them for a second. :)

It's my weak spot though. Body is what gets me the girls. Face is getting older, looking "weasely" to quote an ex girlfriend, big nose, no hair, imperfect teeth. I see all the pretty boys walking around and wish I could complete in the face department. Oh well....

Thanks for the pat on the back!

Everyone's face is getting older. Healthy clear skin, white teeth and a relaxed face can give you a younger appearance. Right now, I'm coming to terms that I don't see my 22 year old self looking back at me in the mirror. But what can I do? If celebrities who have tons of money still age then why shouldn't I?

This is why becoming too focused on appearance leads to depression. The more you spend time trying to improve yourself the more focus you put on face and body the more flaws you find. Stay grounded LW. Being attractive is good enough and only one piece of the puzzle.

• Like 3
  • Author
Thanks for the pat on the back!

Everyone's face is getting older. Healthy clear skin, white teeth and a relaxed face can give you a younger appearance. Right now, I'm coming to terms that I don't see my 22 year old self looking back at me in the mirror. But what can I do? If celebrities who have tons of money still age then why shouldn't I?

This is why becoming too focused on appearance leads to depression. The more you spend time trying to improve yourself the more focus you put on face and body the more flaws you find. Stay grounded LW. Being attractive is good enough and only one piece of the puzzle.

Yeah I agree that focusing mostly on aesthetics can lead to an Adonis complex or whatever you call the women's version. But yeah, I do focus (on myself and others) on good teeth, healthy skin and nice grooming and I think those go a long way.

And I just knocked out a quick 2-mile run/walk and now it's back to work as I sit here all somewhat sweaty.

• Like 1
  • Author

Checking in today. Today's meals will be...

1) Special K breakfast sandwich and banana

2) Nuts, cheese, turkey and raw veggies

3) Chicken with rice

4) Myoplex

5) Low fat burger with green beans (maybe a few baked tater tots)

6) (if I'm hungry) berries, peanut butter or another Myoplex

My wife said I "felt smaller" today when she hugged me goodbye this morning. I've only lost 6 lbs since Feb 1st, but 99% of that is stomach fat, so I do feel a difference.

• Like 2
Checking in today. Today's meals will be...

1) Special K breakfast sandwich and banana

2) Nuts, cheese, turkey and raw veggies

3) Chicken with rice

4) Myoplex

5) Low fat burger with green beans (maybe a few baked tater tots)

6) (if I'm hungry) berries, peanut butter or another Myoplex

My wife said I "felt smaller" today when she hugged me goodbye this morning. I've only lost 6 lbs since Feb 1st, but 99% of that is stomach fat, so I do feel a difference.

I've been sick all day nothing major just very fatigued, a slight cold and maybe a little fever. So, I slept almost the whole day and I'm feeling better. Tomorrow I'll probably be fine.

Drank three cups of tea and had a can of Amy's vegetable lentil soup. I'll probably have some more soup later. No workout today but will do light stretching.

(BTW I love this thread!)

Edited by Summer3
Damn, Midwest.

Now that makes it a challenge... :(

Did the body building have anything to do with the knee injury?

Amy wisdom on how to avoid that?

No, the knee injury was due to sports. Started at age 12 with basketball. I kept pushing thru it for years, including a lot of squats that I shouldn't have done.

It's taken 40 years to degrade to this point, I'm not gonna whine too much, just work around it.

Don't keep at it when injured, I guess.

• Like 1

Still a little under the weather but sleep proved to be the best healer.

Drinking a protein drink and had a chocolate chip cookie. Tonight, I'm making a huge salad for dinner with a side of zucchini pancakes. Lunch will be something heathy that I grab out of the cabinets.

I'm going to work on some barre moves and stretches, maybe get a routine together. Not sure.

What is everyone doing today?

• Author

Good morning Summer,

I have my meals planned out again. Lots of lean protein, raw fruits and veggies, and healthy fats like nuts. I'm trying to drink more water too and limit my diet sodas to one or two a day max.

Planning on a 2 mile lunchtime run/walk. I'm adding a minute of running each time, so hopefully by the end of this Challenge, I'm running the entire 2 mile course. (then I could focus on building up to lunchtime 5ks in April and May).

Sometimes I feel like it's just you and me here! I wish more people would pop in and join!

Hi all

I have only just noticed your thread but would love to join you!

My goal will be to lose 8-10lbs by end of March (overall goal is to lose another 10-12lbs). I have been fighting the flab for so long it's taken the break-up of a long term relationship to get me going in the right direction again.

Currently I do 30 mins aerobics/light weights 3 times a week and 2-3 30 minute yoga sessions. Have been doing yoga for months (great for mind and body!), and only recently introduced the aerobics/weights into my life! I love walking but weather is so poor (snowing now and minus 8!) not able to go out. I have seen great results both in weight loss and inches just doing my yoga and am trying not to dwell on how far I still have to go...

I am a vegan so have a pretty healthy lifestyle anyway, but still easy to pile on the pounds. Think it's an age thing :-(

Good luck everyone!!

• Like 2
Good morning Summer,

I have my meals planned out again. Lots of lean protein, raw fruits and veggies, and healthy fats like nuts. I'm trying to drink more water too and limit my diet sodas to one or two a day max.

Planning on a 2 mile lunchtime run/walk. I'm adding a minute of running each time, so hopefully by the end of this Challenge, I'm running the entire 2 mile course. (then I could focus on building up to lunchtime 5ks in April and May).

Sometimes I feel like it's just you and me here! I wish more people would pop in and join!

Midwest and LW are on board.

• Like 1
  • Author
Hi all

I have only just noticed your thread but would love to join you!

My goal will be to lose 8-10lbs by end of March (overall goal is to lose another 10-12lbs). I have been fighting the flab for so long it's taken the break-up of a long term relationship to get me going in the right direction again.

Currently I do 30 mins aerobics/light weights 3 times a week and 2-3 30 minute yoga sessions. Have been doing yoga for months (great for mind and body!), and only recently introduced the aerobics/weights into my life! I love walking but weather is so poor (snowing now and minus 8!) not able to go out. I have seen great results both in weight loss and inches just doing my yoga and am trying not to dwell on how far I still have to go...

I am a vegan so have a pretty healthy lifestyle anyway, but still easy to pile on the pounds. Think it's an age thing :-(

Good luck everyone!!

Welcome Kat!

I hear you on the poor weather. It's been unseasonably nice this winter in my city so I've been lucky. I ran (mostly...had to walk a little of it) 2 miles today in the light rain/wind and I have to say I felt more alive than I have in a long time. I'm really glad I "braved the elements" today - I didn't pass another person the entire route.

Do you do yoga at home or at a studio? I'd love to work on my flexibility but don't know where to start with yoga.

Hi MP

Yoga - have been doing it on and off for years! I have done classes previously, but lately have been doing my sessions at home. I have several books on the subject, and they all have slightly different poses so I just work my way through. Have to admit, when I first started, didn't really feel much benefit, so kept giving up after a few months but since restarting almost a year ago, it's gotten easier. An even better buzz than from aerobics I find, probably cos you have to engage your mind as well.

I highly recommend it - it's so relaxing, and you can't really go wrong!

• Author
Hi MP

Yoga - have been doing it on and off for years! I have done classes previously, but lately have been doing my sessions at home. I have several books on the subject, and they all have slightly different poses so I just work my way through. Have to admit, when I first started, didn't really feel much benefit, so kept giving up after a few months but since restarting almost a year ago, it's gotten easier. An even better buzz than from aerobics I find, probably cos you have to engage your mind as well.

I highly recommend it - it's so relaxing, and you can't really go wrong!

I will definitely look into it. The only time I did yoga was doing it on Wii Fit about uhh 8 years ago. I don't think that counts. But I'm very interested in increased flexibility if nothing else than to mitigate against future injuries as I get older.

And first full week of the Challenge down! I'll keep updating my sig once or twice a week. It keep me motivated.

I hope everyone has a great day and takes one step today towards a healthier self, whether it's yoga or weight training or taking a bike ride or even just a 20 minute walk. It all counts, and it's all more than most people are doing.

My posts in this thread are going to get really boring, really fast because I do the same thing, every other day alnd have been for years.

I slack every once in a while when feeling low on energy, but for the most part it's

very repetitive.

So, I'll make a post about the diet/suppliment side.

For food, I eat gourmet and simple meals prepared from food bought at whole foods. Never any chemicals, trans fats, hydrogenated anything. I make pizzas, meat/vegetable/potato and asian, mexican type rice base dishes.

Suppliment wise, I take several and they greatly increase my strength, energy, muscle building ability and cellular health/regeneration. Greatly. This stack has my body running like I'm 21.

Sea Buckthorn Juice

Zinc

L-cartinine

Leucine

Isoleucine

Valine

D-Aspartic Acid

Most of these are from a company I highly recommend called NutraKey. Their suppliments are pharmeceutical grade and contain nothing but the suppliment. No sweeteners, no colors, no other ingredients at all.

After each workout, I relax with an Organic Valley Organic Fuel protien shake. Again, no bad ingredients, like that nasty, nast Muscle Milk has. They taste so good, they are a reward after my workout.

The suppliments taste more like a punishment. ha ha I just dump them raw into a glass ofg

water, man up and chug. lol

• Like 2
My posts in this thread are going to get really boring, really fast because I do the same thing, every other day alnd have been for years.

I slack every once in a while when feeling low on energy, but for the most part it's

very repetitive.

So, I'll make a post about the diet/suppliment side.

For food, I eat gourmet and simple meals prepared from food bought at whole foods. Never any chemicals, trans fats, hydrogenated anything. I make pizzas, meat/vegetable/potato and asian, mexican type rice base dishes.

Suppliment wise, I take several and they greatly increase my strength, energy, muscle building ability and cellular health/regeneration. Greatly. This stack has my body running like I'm 21.

Sea Buckthorn Juice

Zinc

L-cartinine

Leucine

Isoleucine

Valine

D-Aspartic Acid

Most of these are from a company I highly recommend called NutraKey. Their suppliments are pharmeceutical grade and contain nothing but the suppliment. No sweeteners, no colors, no other ingredients at all.

After each workout, I relax with an Organic Valley Organic Fuel protien shake. Again, no bad ingredients, like that nasty, nast Muscle Milk has. They taste so good, they are a reward after my workout.

The suppliments taste more like a punishment. ha ha I just dump them raw into a glass ofg

water, man up and chug. lol

What do you think of this:

Orgain Organic Protein ™ Powder is a revolutionary new product that is being hailed as the "best tasting and smoothest" protein powder on the market. With 21 grams of USDA certified organic plant based protein derived from organic brown rice, chia, hemp and pea protein, 5 grams of organic fiber and only 3g of net carbs – Orgain has set a new gold standard in powdered nutrition.

I get it from costco and have been drinking it weekly for about a year.

My check in:

I took Barre Fitness today. Great class. Then had a stressful conversation with my husband and shoved about five chocolate chip cookies in my mouth. (I never realized I was a stress eater.) The cookies were delicious.

I'm going to just eat salad for dinner and spend about two hours listening to Buddhist talks whilst doing housework hoping the stress goes away.

• Like 1
  • Author
I took Barre Fitness today. Great class. Then had a stressful conversation with my husband and shoved about five chocolate chip cookies in my mouth.

Would you be mad at me if I said this made me laugh out loud? :)

I think it was just the visual of you cramming them all in at the same time.

We will all have our temptations. Yesterday I was craving some birthday cake (at the office). I didn't eat any but I did lean my face in and smell the hell out of it (for like five seconds in a row) while no one was looking.

• Like 1

Summer: That protein powder sounds fine. Probably more complete than the few I listed.

I get a lot of min from diet, then add those specific supplements, as well as the milk based protien drink after working out.

I have to keep/build mass though, so different supplement requirements.

• Like 1
Would you be mad at me if I said this made me laugh out loud? :)

I think it was just the visual of you cramming them all in at the same time.

We will all have our temptations. Yesterday I was craving some birthday cake (at the office). I didn't eat any but I did lean my face in and smell the hell out of it (for like five seconds in a row) while no one was looking.

Smelling doesn't count! LOL

Got on scale: lost one pound!

Current Weight: 125

New Goal: Lose one pound fat gain two pounds muscle.

(This thread helps. My husband is getting tired of me asking him if I look thinner.)

• Author

Nice job, Summer! Hope you're bouncing back from your sickness.

I apparently got some sort of bug yesterday and I'm not feeling well, but even if I skip my scheduled run, I'll still keep diet strict. Planned meals:

1) Greek yogurt and water

2) Banana and water

3) Protein shake(s) and water

4) Greek yogurt and water

Meals 5 and 6 will depend on whether my stomach feels better.

And this thread is helping me too. It helps to have several layers of accountability. And my wife is already tired of me posing and flexing in the bathroom mirror.

• Like 2

Summer, I laughed when read about the cookies!

I have stopped baking just so I am not tempted by goodies (real reason is I cannot help myself until I finish the last bite - and I like decorating cakes and biscuits so double no-no). Low cal stuff - just not the same!

My weigh in is tomorrow - I may share the loss (if any) but still too conscientious of overall weight. BUT I am starting to get a waist again!! I haven't been able to acknowledge it for some years, but it's slowly becoming my new best friend!!

• Like 3
fitnessfan365

Did a pull-ups (slow/controlled dead hang) and stair run workout yesterday.

8 pull-ups

12 flights of stairs ran

8 pull-ups

12 flights of stairs ran

7 pull-ups

12 flights of stairs ran

7 pull-ups

12 flights of stairs ran

Etc... Descended down until I had completed the last two sets of four pull-ups for a grand total of 60 pull-ups and 120 flights of stairs. Went pretty much non stop for 40 minutes w/o ever stopping. Sometimes rotating between two basic exercises is all you need.

• Like 2