Ladies, The Smarter You Are, The More Likely You Are To Be Single

I agree with just about all of this post...The only thing I think that doesnt quite hold is that no matter how intelligent or educated a woman may be, if she is a dog, then she isn't gonna get a shot at top tier type of guys..Those guys will gladly trade brains for beauty in just about every case..Ive seen it a thousand times...

This is one area where men and women differ..>Ive seen high earning and successful butt-ugly men pull gorgeous women.....but never once seen it the other way around...

TFY

In general I agree. I just saw Warren Buffet in an interview where he discussed his solicitations of other extremely wealthy men to donate a large percentage of their wealth to large-scale world projects.

"What are you going to do with your money when you're and have a blonde sitting on your lap?", he asked. The obvious inference being that is what men of great wealth and power do with their money.

WasOtherWoman
There was something about this that I read recently. While women have made great strides in finding income and status equality, their expectations for marrying up haven't changed. So by definition the pool of men they find satisfactory is shrinking.

In short, women tend to want it both ways.

I would be lying if I said the above was not true.

My better half is strides above me.....The `Times`Cryptic crossword.....

Not true.

"What are you going to do with your money when you're 90 and have a blonde sitting on your lap?", he asked. The obvious inference being that is what men of great wealth and power do with their money.

Didn't have time to correct.

yeah, I'm sure about it. For a while. Men who made it in the big league are achievers, they do stuff, they have big egos and like to be entertained. (it is quite reductive, btw, to believe that successful men completely lack taste and go for young hot bimbos instead of less provocative, but classier women. anyway, let's assume your theory is correct)

Of course a tight arse and a pair of large breasts are entertaining.... for a while. Until another tighter arse or perkier pair of boobs comes along. My point is pretty women are interchangeables, if that is the only thing they have to offer. Not even mentioning the daunting effects of time on that beauty ;).

I maintain my point of view, to make an A league man stick around, on top of looks, a woman needs brain. Not necessarily education, not necessarily a career, but brains. Look at the wife of Mr. Facebook.

Or don’t care that much. Some of the smarter women really don’t care that much. Condi Rice, Harriet Myers, Sonya Sotomayor, just to name a few high-profile examples in only one field.

If a fabulous guy comes along, great! Really great! Otherwise, they may just choose to stay single and do other things that fascinate and challenge.

There are men like that too.

• Like 1
Considering about 95% of the country earns less than I do, yes, I would say that in general, they pay me more than the men.

while you may earn more than 95% of the country, unless you have seen the paychecks of your peers, I assure you that you are not paid as much as your male counterpart :). It's not me, it's statistics. Worldwide, women are paid up to 30% less - this year's Euromonitor International's stats. In Switzerland, that goes to 20%. In my industry, it's 15%.

And, I still expect them to hold doors for me, it is just good manners.

Expectations are the source of all disappointments.

I never said I don't wear suits, I just don't choose to wear pant suits.

whatever rocks your boat

A woman need not look and act like a man in the business world.

I've never mentioned anything about acting like a man, I was strictly referring to clothes wear :)

WasOtherWoman
while you may earn more than 95% of the country, unless you have seen the paychecks of your peers, I assure you that you are not paid as much as your male counterpart :). It's not me, it's statistics. Worldwide, women are paid up to 30% less - this year's Euromonitor International's stats. In Switzerland, that goes to 20%. In my industry, it's 15%.

Expectations are the source of all disappointments.

whatever rocks your boat

I've never mentioned anything about acting like a man, I was strictly referring to clothes wear :)

pssst... I am in sales. Our compensation structures are all the same. But I do agree with you that in other types of jobs, there is inequality. I just wouldn't work in that sort of job.

And honestly, most men WANT to open doors for women. They really do.

thefooloftheyear
yeah, I'm sure about it. For a while. Men who made it in the big league are achievers, they do stuff, they have big egos and like to be entertained. (it is quite reductive, btw, to believe that successful men completely lack taste and go for young hot bimbos instead of less provocative, but classier women. anyway, let's assume your theory is correct)

Of course a tight arse and a pair of large breasts are entertaining.... for a while. Until another tighter arse or perkier pair of boobs comes along. My point is pretty women are interchangeables, if that is the only thing they have to offer. Not even mentioning the daunting effects of time on that beauty ;).

I maintain my point of view, to make an A league man stick around, on top of looks, a woman needs brain. Not necessarily education, not necessarily a career, but brains. Look at the wife of Mr. Facebook.

You're missing the point....

Guys wont generally trade looks for brains alone...Ugly successful women would probably struggle more with men/dating than a "regular" attractive one..

I wont argue your last point, because its really what I am saying all along..

Look at the Sandra Bullock/Jesse James deal..>She is wayyyy more powerful/rich than he is...But he could, so he went better looking, (despite what the tabloids report....she isnt that hot....)

No one is saying that a guy wouldn't want a woman with brains...Of course they would...But successful guys want good looking women....even if they themselves don't bring that to the table...and in most cases...they get it...

TFY

• Like 2
There was something about this that I read recently. While women have made great strides in finding income and status equality, their expectations for marrying up haven't changed

what are you saying, women don't deserve to have equal pay or equal status for the same job? This injustice has been and still is on and unless society does something about it, won't be amended. And female equality actually means more resources to the household, so actually, everybody wins, 'cause they're not stealing it. They're earning it.

And of course women want marriage and equality. I remind you that there are prenup contracts, if men are so scared about getting ripped off. Sorry, I don't understand about why women who fight for same pay for the same job should not want to get married.

So by definition the pool of men they find satisfactory is shrinking.

urban legend.

you mean equality and marriage? You bet ! Because they bring more $$$ to the table, more resources, more responsibilities. Why exactly should they review their offer down :) ?

thefooloftheyear
Or don’t care that much. Some of the smarter women really don’t care that much. Condi Rice, Harriet Myers, Sonya Sotomayor, just to name a few high-profile examples in only one field.

If a fabulous guy comes along, great! Really great! Otherwise, they may just choose to stay single and do other things that fascinate and challenge.

There are men like that too.

With all due respect, those three women aren't remotely attractive...And are we even sure they are heterosexual??...I dunno..

Ill concede that its still possible that the outcome would be the same if they were good looking, but it does make you wonder.........

TFY

• Like 1

When it comes to women that I want to date, while I don't want a truly dumb woman (like the immature empty-headed ones I constantly see at Burger King and McDonald's), I also don't need a woman so bright that all she does is outsmarting me in every subject we speak about.

While I only have a high school diploma, many people tell me that I am a lot smarter than I look. Obviously, I don't believe that because if that was true, I wouldn't be 28 and still only have a high school diploma. I simply use common sense at any and all times.....and I guess that does make me smarter when I got little debt, have money available at all times, and is able to be a Top-Rater Seller on eBay.

To me, her level of education doesn't really matter to me as long as she is capable of holding down a job in the field she wants to be in.

Like others have said, a truly smart woman doesn't give me the desire to make love to her. Like TFY has said, it can easily be a boner killer since I have felt that a few times over my life. That kind of woman I would see more as either a friend or a competitor but definitely not one that I would want to get into a relationship with. For me to do that, I need a woman that can provide me with the things that I can't get myself and I can find people to trade blows with in debates and arguments at work. I certainly don't want to continue that back at home.

So while I am not scared of college-educated women, if that is all she can offer, then to me, she has basically no value for a relationship.

pssst... I am in sales. Our compensation structures are all the same. But I do agree with you that in other types of jobs, there is inequality. I just wouldn't work in that sort of job.

And honestly, most men WANT to open doors for women. They really do.

I believe you know your company... just check the base salary as well, while you're at it. I'm not saying you're not earning just as much... I am saying companies indiscriminately discriminate against all women. Most of the times :p. And the only way of knowing for sure - and not speculating or generalizing, is to check with Payroll.

With all due respect, those three women aren't remotely attractive...And are we even sure they are heterosexual??...I dunno..

Ill concede that its still possible that the outcome would be the same if they were good looking, but it does make you wonder.........

TFY

She did post some weird examples since each of those 3 women is all at the age of 60 or older.

And considering that, they are attractive for their ages.

You're missing the point....

Guys wont generally trade looks for brains alone...Ugly successful women would probably struggle more with men/dating than a "regular" attractive one..

I wont argue your last point, because its really what I am saying all along..

Look at the Sandra Bullock/Jesse James deal..>She is wayyyy more powerful/rich than he is...But he could, so he went better looking, (despite what the tabloids report....she isnt that hot....)

No one is saying that a guy wouldn't want a woman with brains...Of course they would...But successful guys want good looking women....even if they themselves don't bring that to the table...and in most cases...they get it...

TFY

I've never mentioned uglier but successful women.

my only point is that looks alone cannot keep a class A guy around. One needs brains for it.

what A class men want and can get... I cannot generalize. People you know? Some choose to marry their highschool sweetheart, others change women faster than Vanity Fair cover magazine. To each their own.

• Like 1
GorillaTheater
I believe you know your company... just check the base salary as well, while you're at it. I'm not saying you're not earning just as much... I am saying companies indiscriminately discriminate against all women. Most of the times :p. And the only way of knowing for sure - and not speculating or generalizing, is to check with Payroll.

That sort of thing tends to keep the public sector honest: all of our salary information is readily available public information.

I've always wanted a woman at least as smart as I am, but if I ever remarry, I'm making a point of marrying a woman wealthier than I am as well. I'm ready to be a Kept Man.

• Like 6
WasOtherWoman

I hear you.. and I am not trying to be argumentative. I am sure there are men who earn more than I do here, and I am sure that there are men that I out earn. It also depends greatly on what sort of year someone had, as much of our earning potential is in our own hands, which is how I prefer it.

I just don't generally get on the bandwagon in the men against women salary thing as it has never really affected me.

• Like 1
I hear you.. and I am not trying to be argumentative. I am sure there are men who earn more than I do here, and I am sure that there are men that I out earn. It also depends greatly on what sort of year someone had, as much of our earning potential is in our own hands, which is how I prefer it.

I just don't generally get on the bandwagon in the men against women salary thing as it has never really affected me.

Well, sales are indeed, a different universe. I hate the whole "men against women salary" and I hate calling it out. In my industry, in my country, it is a reality and it is unfair. Not to mention that in Switzerland, if you have children, school time table are organized in such way as it's impossible to keep a full time job. More than 80% of women work part time here - which is really difficult for me to digest. I don't care about what other women do, but it is the status quo here, and it affects the way working women (not to say ambitious working women) are seen in society. It sucks. And as you've correctly pointed out, women cannot act like men, in business. Not the same rules. Not the same dynamic.

• Like 2

Well...there are a lot of guys out there who class themselves as nerds or geeks, and who report having trouble getting girlfriends. I think fairly cerebral people are often also quite shy or reserved, which is the main problem, and can affect either gender.

Also, a highly logical brain might sometimes inhibit a person from connecting emotionally with other people. I think that when men are talking to women privately, they often want to talk about the sort of thing that they might feel ridiculous discussing with other men. I have a disproportionate number of male clients, and I think it's because they know they can emotional without me getting embarrassed or looking at them as though they're crazy. Some of my male peers are great with crying people (male or female). A lot aren't. Similar thing with my female peers. There are some who have a very soft, maternal way about them and you know instantly that they'd have a great rapport with clients. Then you get others who are focused on being rottweilers. Or who think "being professional" means being very cold and detached.

In some cases that's just their temperament, but I do think that often there's a tendency for women to feel they have to prove themselves by taking a really logical approach. Particularly as women are so often criticised for being illogical. If that emphasis on being logical comes at the expense of understanding other people's emotions, or losing touch with their own emotions, then that's likely to alienate other people.

I know that when I was in my twenties, I was really out to try to prove myself intellectually. I know I often project a ditzy, disorganised image (I've been told often enough) and I was trying really hard to tackle that. Sometimes going over the top and being overly logical, which is easy to do when you're young and trying to win respect from older professionals. Then periodically I'd be dealing with a male peer, professionally, and I'd think "he's behaving with more emotional intelligence than I am." Often those guys were older, had kids etc...so they'd developed the strong emotional intelligence and nurturing streak that comes with that.

Both men and women like that became my role models. People who are academically smart - but who have a strong understanding of just how important emotional intelligence is. You could compare it to a piece of great music being played. All sorts of expertise goes into making it sound as great as it does, but people buy it primarily for the emotions it invokes in them. A woman can use good looks to attract sexual interest. She can use logic to command respect. Both are important ingredients in relationships. But emotional connection is at the heart of romantic love.

• Like 3
toolforgrowth

I've always been attracted to intelligent women. My high school GF graduated valedictorian, and currently has her PhD. My xww was also extremely intelligent. My GF now is also smart, she was on the Dean's list at her medical assistant school and aced her final exams.

Brains are sexy to me.

autumnnight

One thing we need to do is make sure we don't confuse smart with bitchiness. I have a few female acquaintances who THINK they aren't being dated because they are "so smart," "so good at," "So much better than." In reality, it is because they are arrogant, crass bitches with no social graces.

• Like 3
I dunno....

Don't ever underestimate the power of a tight ass and a set of DD's..I've seen some dumbass women take it all the way to the top of the mountain...:laugh:

TFY

Ehhh...

I'd say don't overestimate a tight ass and DD's. I've got both and they've literally done me no good in life. I've got some lumps of fat strapped to my chest, does that make me special? Nah! :p

Everything I've gotten in life was due to me making the most of my intelligence, working hard, and being a decent person. Nothing more!

• Like 3
Ehhh...

I'd say don't overestimate a tight ass and DD's. I've got both and they've literally done me no good in life. I've got some lumps of fat strapped to my chest, does that make me special? Nah! :p

Everything I've gotten in life was due to me making the most of my intelligence, working hard, and being a decent person. Nothing more!

To be fair, most guys wouldn't be able to recognize size DD breasts.

I know I can't. I can't even tell you the many different breast sizes.

When I see a woman's breasts, the only answers I consider is "I like them" and "I don't like them".

• Like 2
To be fair, most guys wouldn't be able to recognize size DD breasts.

I know I can't. I can't even tell you the many different breast sizes.

When I see a woman's breasts, the only answers I consider is "I like them" and "I don't like them".

Agreed, the general gist that I get about men and boobs is that they just generally like boobs. Any boobs in a normal size range is just like... "yep, those are boobs, cool".

She did post some weird examples since each of those 3 women is all at the age of 60 or older.

And considering that, they are attractive for their ages.

They’re just some very smart long-single women in my age range that came to mind. I assume any of them could have married if it had been a very high priority to them. But they did other things, which can be one reason that some very smart women remain single.

I misspelled Miers, which I discovered when I looked them up to see if they were physically attractive. Something that I had never considered.

Are highly intelligent women too "problematic" for most men?

Are intelligent women just not settling for men who will treat her like she is his property?

Are those women in the position of wanting a man and not needing a man, so can afford to wait for the "right" man or can simply choose to stay single?

I think it’s most often the last. But I’d add that for some very intellectual women, sometimes getting a man isn’t as fun and stimulating as their other endeavors, so some aren’t even waiting, aren't choosing to remain single, but just don't think about it or don't think about it often. It's off their radar.

Edited by BlueIris