Marital Concepts from the 1950s

Sassy Girl
Godwin's Law

A term that originated on Usenet, Godwin's Law states that as an online argument grows longer and more heated, it becomes increasingly likely that somebody will bring up Adolf Hitler or the Nazis. When such an event occurs, the person guilty of invoking Godwin's Law has effectively forfeited the argument.

Snap! Cross posted

lollipopspot
I enjoy being man. I'm attracted to woman and like being more logical on matters.

Attracted to ****ting on them? Wow, I feel for any woman who is with a man who feels he is more "logical" than she is based on a condition of birth like gender. But maybe such a woman is incompetent (the OP seems to find herself so) and likes being patronized. Who knows.

You are blowing the experiences of women out of proportion.

Nope. But I'm not surprised you don't have a clue about this.

You cannot compare war and death (especially for such a valiant cause) to the fear (and sensationalism) of sexual assault. It's not even close and it's a disservice for those that have fought and died for your rights.[\quote]

The last war where there was even an argument about fighting for rights ended in the 1940s. That war was started by men. So here's my official statement: Men, stop starting wars from which you sensationalize saving me from your brothers. And stop sexually assaulting women too. It's a racket - women have needed men to save them from other men. No thanks.

• Like 2
Shining One
Godwin's Law

A term that originated on Usenet, Godwin's Law states that as an online argument grows longer and more heated, it becomes increasingly likely that somebody will bring up Adolf Hitler or the Nazis. When such an event occurs, the person guilty of invoking Godwin's Law has effectively forfeited the argument.

I don't think you two understand how Godwin's Law is applied. Here's the text as written: As a Usenet discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one.

calvincline47 was referring to the Nazis in a historical context. There was no comparison to Nazis in his post, so Godwin's Law does not apply here. Now, if he had compared one of you to the Nazi's or Hitler, then Godwin's Law would apply.

I am not saying women have to fight for men but don't try and stop men who fight for fairness in family court or who try to help boys who are failing in schools or any of that. If a feminist is against addressing these issues then I would assume she is a manhater since addressing them has nothing to do with oppressing women. It seems that some feminists think in order for women to be brought up men and masculinity need to be brought down.

• Like 2
Shining One
I am not saying women have to fight for men but don't try and stop men who fight for fairness in family court or who try to help boys who are failing in schools or any of that. If a feminist is against addressing these issues then I would assume she is a manhater since addressing them has nothing to do with oppressing women. It seems that some feminists think in order for women to be brought up men and masculinity need to be brought down.
This exactly. There will need to be a lot of give and take from both genders in order to achieve fairness. This is why I choose not to associate with either mainstream feminism or the men's rights movement. Both are seeking gender-specific benefits which is contrary to equality.
Sassy Girl

I haven't read any feminist who is against the issues you are raising. Your argument is a red herring.

• Like 3
I haven't read any feminist who is against the issues you are raising. Your argument is a red herring.

I have spoken to many feminists who are against the issues I was raising. One of my mom's friends was a teacher who outright admitted she tried to sabotage her male students because it was now payback time against men. This was a sixth grade teacher.

I have spoken to many feminists who are against the issues I was raising. One of my mom's friends was a teacher who outright admitted she tried to sabotage her male students because it was now payback time against men. This was a sixth grade teacher.

She should go to jail.

I'm not even kidding.

• Like 2
She should go to jail.

I'm not even kidding.

She should but many of the feminists I have personally met have these sorts of views. I have also met some who cheat on their husbands and boyfriends or abuse them and mistreat them and they consider it a feminist act of rebellion.

I am not saying that all feminists feel this way but like any movement if they don't confront the extremists within they will take over the movement.

Sassy Girl
She should but many of the feminists I have personally met have these sorts of views. I have also met some who cheat on their husbands and boyfriends or abuse them and mistreat them and they consider it a feminist act of rebellion.

I am not saying that all feminists feel this way but like any movement if they don't confront the extremists within they will take over the movement.

I would not call them feminists. That is not what we stand for. Misandrist, yes. Feminist no. Wrong label.

• Like 1
I would not call them feminists. That is not what we stand for. Misandrist, yes. Feminist no. Wrong label.

In the eyes of many men there is no difference. I think these men are wrong but it's not like there isn't an element that helps to push this stereotype.

Let's also not forget about the dangers that men have had to experience over the years.

Who were the ones that stopped the Nazis? Who were the ones that allowed Scandinavian countries freedom and, therefore, allowed them to be the most feminist countries in the world.

American men....with blood, sweat, and tears. Women didn't have to fight in these wars. One could potentially describe that as privilege.

So before you ladies whine and complain about your perceived injustices (which none of you even had to experience in this day and age), just remember that all of the rights that you have now are afforded to you on the backs of many dead American men.

Crazy how people forget that....especially on this day.

Serriously dude,

go back and study your history books a little better. you can't even get the concept that it wasn't just Americans but allies from Canada, the UK, Austrailia, etc., etc., etc. right.

btw, if it weren't for the "rosie the Riverter" and the women back at home planting victory gardens, training pilots, workings as WRENa, WAC"s , drivers, code beakers, creating care packages, and doing other things to keep things running along, the men would have had zero materials to fight with and zero morale

• Like 2
I agree. I also think that women should be drafted and fight on the front lines.

Until that happens, I do not approve of any other kinds of equality.

Oh for the love of god...

They do fight on the front lines. My friend's wife is a colonel who has fought "outside the wire" and been at too many FOB's to count. She's carried back wounded men to safety, and been decorated for doing so. She's also gay, so I can just imagine what you'd have to say about that :D

mind you, I'm not American, so perhaps things are different where you are

Edited by truncated
  • Like 1
Sassy Girl
In the eyes of many men there is no difference. I think these men are wrong but it's not like there isn't an element that helps to push this stereotype.

If the men are wrong the the onus is on them to get educated. Not us.

Otherwise it's just ignorance.

If the men are wrong the the onus is on them to get educated. Not us.

Otherwise it's just ignorance.

But that element is certainly there in modern feminism and is the loudest voice.

calvincline47
Godwin's Law

What's actually funny is that you both are trying to make me look bad in an argument (without making an actual point) and then taking YOUR OWN SOURCES out of context.

As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1"[2][3]—​ that is, if an online discussion (regardless of topic or scope) goes on long enough, sooner or later someone will compare someone or something to Hitler or Nazism.

I never compared anything to Hitler or Nazism. I said that American men fought against Nazism and was using that as an example of how much men sacrificed for women.

Typical feminist argument though. Misinterpreting your own sources. Tsk tsk.

What about the societal benefits provided to one gender and not another? To me, those go hand in hand with equal opportunity. Paternity Leave should equal Maternity Leave, for example.

Absolutely! I think the US needs paid leave for both parents, as well as sick leave for all workers as well. You cannot expect your economy to grow if you don't help those with young kids. It is crazy that we have nothing mandated paid, and FMLA is just 12 weeks. This is seen as insane to many other countries. And fathers are equally important to their children and should have time to help especially in the early weeks. They need bonding time as well.

Okay but that isn't a feminist. That is just a crappy person.

That is like arguing someone who is a libertarian but who is racist, ergo libertarians are racist.

How does that even make sense?

• Like 2
What's actually funny is that you both are trying to make me look bad in an argument (without making an actual point) and then taking YOUR OWN SOURCES out of context.

I never compared anything to Hitler or Nazism. I said that American men fought against Nazism and was using that as an example of how much men sacrificed for women.

Typical feminist argument though. Misinterpreting your own sources. Tsk tsk.

And WWII was how many years ago? So how is that even comparable? Why not compare more recent fighting, say over the last decade. And women were assisting in WWII to the level that they were allowed to. They were nurses, aid workers, spies, etc. But that doesn't count right? You do understand that males in power would not allow women to fight. So even if women wanted to, they were not allowed to see combat. So saying women weren't soldiers as some kind of comparison to the desire to fight is a ridiculous argument because the opportunity wasn't even attainable.

Oh, right. Women were fighting too. Stupid weak women. :laugh:

Okay so if, in my eyes, men were all louses because the ones I know seem to be, I could rationally argue that all men are louses?

How is this logical? Just because I look for stereotypes to prove my perception does not make my perception factual.

• Like 1
What about the societal benefits provided to one gender and not another? To me, those go hand in hand with equal opportunity. Paternity Leave should equal Maternity Leave, for example.

It actually does in some countries. AFAIK where I currently live, you can split parental leave any way you please regardless of gender.

thefooloftheyear
It actually does in some countries. AFAIK where I currently live, you can split parental leave any way you please regardless of gender.

Do guys actually take advantage of it, though?

Doubt that will ever fly here in the US,,Most guys would get shamed to hell if they took more than a day or so, unless there were some complications, of course..

TFY

Doubt that will ever fly here in the US,,Most guys would get shamed to hell if they took more than a day or so, unless there were some complications, of course..

TFY

My husband got 2 weeks through his job. More would've been great!

Gay couples who adopt need parental leave.

Honestly, it doesn't matter to me how man people of each gender take parental leave. It just matters that people of both genders have access to it.

TFY

I saw some of that early in my career, but in the last 15-20 years it's actually been the opposite - the real men aren't concerned about what other people think. If the time is available to them, they take every bit of it.