My only son is becoming distant

daisy101

I feel terrible for you Daisy, I even cried a little here at my job...

Your son was actually like me...almost same age, same work field, same problems, similar plans...and to leave this world so young, it makes me feel so bad just thinking about it :(

Don't forget one thing though: he LOVED you, and this last months you spend together made him realize how important you were to him, I'm sure of it.

• Like 1

Oh, I am so sorry. I can't imagine anything worse. I wish I could take away your pain.

If you're having trouble with day to day living, will you consider taking some mild antidepressants temporarily? Just to get you up and moving?

• Like 1

A month is a very short time. Of course you are in a great deal of pain. You will miss your son forever. Doesn't mean you won't heal and find some joy in life again but your son will always be in your heart and there will always be quiet sense of missing him but it won't always be as painful as it is right now.

Do not feel terrible about being short with your son for not visiting enough. You were working on yourself and improving and your son knows that you loved him very much. What else matters? Nobody is perfect in any relationship, but we love each other and do the best we can and your son loved you. You're a good mom so don't let guilt get into your head and play tricks on you.

• Like 1
  • Author
Oh, I am so sorry. I can't imagine anything worse. I wish I could take away your pain.

If you're having trouble with day to day living, will you consider taking some mild antidepressants temporarily? Just to get you up and moving?

Thank you...

I considered it, actually, but I really don't feel the need, I'm managing the daily life quite well, but there are some parts of the day that I have to sit down and think about my son...

I'm getting better as time goes by :)

• Author
A month is a very short time. Of course you are in a great deal of pain. You will miss your son forever. Doesn't mean you won't heal and find some joy in life again but your son will always be in your heart and there will always be quiet sense of missing him but it won't always be as painful as it is right now.

Do not feel terrible about being short with your son for not visiting enough. You were working on yourself and improving and your son knows that you loved him very much. What else matters? Nobody is perfect in any relationship, but we love each other and do the best we can and your son loved you. You're a good mom so don't let guilt get into your head and play tricks on you.

Thank you, my therapist says it's considered normal for a person to mourn a loss for 6 months, but he's helping me don't fall into my head's guilt trips...

Time heals almost everything I guess...

Actually I don't think you can put a time limit on mourning. It takes as long as it takes. Don't push yourself. I know that the last death I experienced of a loved one put in mourning for longer than 6 months.