My only son is becoming distant

daisy101

I did apologize but he's still resentful. It's gonna be 2 months since I last saw him, and he still hasn't shown any desire to visit us. I'm really sad by this.

There will be a holiday next week in our country and I was hoping he would come by, but I guess he won't.

I'm not pushing him to come or anything, haven't even mentioned the holiday. I'm just saying this here.

What have I said previously? It's gonna take a while until he wants to visit again.

You treated him like a child and did not show any respect for him as your son and as a man that he is now.

I wonder what his fiancé thinks about this situation...I mean she most likely respect you, but you sound something like the Dursleys parenting Dudley.

Give him space and don't be like "ohh I miss you so much! I really want to see you" when you talk to him. You may not think it affects him, but really does.

I am enjoying everything I can, doing things with my hubby and keeping busy, but I can't help feeling that my son has somewhat abandoned us.

I wish I could participate in his life more, do more things with him and his fiancé...

He recently told us he and his fiancé were getting ready to move in together, and when I asked where to (he lives in small apartment, couldn't accomodate them both), he said he didn't know yet.

But my husband said he called him and told him about 2 apartments he and his fiancé were checking out.

My hubby said he told him not to tell me because I would only put my nose in and criticize his choices.

I don't know what to do anymore. :(

Again, all you to blame.

I'm starting to suspect that there's more of this stories that you haven't told us.

Does his dad behave like you?

I did apologize but he's still resentful. It's gonna be 2 months since I last saw him, and he still hasn't shown any desire to visit us. I'm really sad by this.

There will be a holiday next week in our country and I was hoping he would come by, but I guess he won't.

I'm not pushing him to come or anything, haven't even mentioned the holiday. I'm just saying this here.

I am enjoying everything I can, doing things with my hubby and keeping busy, but I can't help feeling that my son has somewhat abandoned us.

I wish I could participate in his life more, do more things with him and his fiancé...

He recently told us he and his fiancé were getting ready to move in together, and when I asked where to (he lives in small apartment, couldn't accomodate them both), he said he didn't know yet.

But my husband said he called him and told him about 2 apartments he and his fiancé were checking out.

My hubby said he told him not to tell me because I would only put my nose in and criticize his choices.

I don't know what to do anymore. :(

He hasn't abandoned you, but you wanting to spending time with him and his fiancée doesn't sound quite right.

I don't know if it's because he's your only child, but you really are smothering him.

You really have to understand that he's a grown adult who didn't want his mother making decisions for him or interfering in his life this way.

You said you apologised, but with everything you say here, you still don't get it. I honestly don't mean to sound harsh, but you are pushing him away.

Your son sounds like a sensible young man and you'll just have to let him live his life. Remember that parents have an obligation to look after their children under the age of 18, their is no obligation the other way round.

Try and respect his decisions or you'll also end up becoming the unpopular mother in law that can never be pleased. Further down the line, you'll be kept away from any grandchildren if you don't change your attitude, as he'll think nothing satisfies you and you are full of criticism.

Don't make this worse for yourself.

My oh my how sad and disheartening that when you (the parent) are tossed around for expressing your empty nest stage. I'm truly sorry that some remarks made here seem less then comforting or helpful. You came here for support and get blamed for being a parent who wants to share time with a family member. I've been in your shoes... its a stumbling block that takes time to work thru.

A poster mentioned a letter... please consider that as a way to open the door to both set new ground and remain hopeful of the feedback. you don't ever need to grovel to your son, express your side, understand his adult decisions... and in time things do move in a more mature relationship. You will always be his mother, its a given.. you will get thru this .. and the family will move forward. it takes some open discussions where each side is regarded.

• Like 1
  • Author
What have I said previously? It's gonna take a while until he wants to visit again.

You treated him like a child and did not show any respect for him as your son and as a man that he is now.

I wonder what his fiancé thinks about this situation...I mean she most likely respect you, but you sound something like the Dursleys parenting Dudley.

Give him space and don't be like "ohh I miss you so much! I really want to see you" when you talk to him. You may not think it affects him, but really does.

I know I was wrong, but I thought he would forgive me...

I'm giving him all space he needs, we're on holidays here and I didn't even mention him coming here to not smother him.

I just asked how he was and what he and his fiancé were planning just to maintain conversations.

I stopped a lot of my behavior when I talk to him, I'm bitting my tongue and keeping to myself the need to criticize and control.

Again, all you to blame.

I'm starting to suspect that there's more of this stories that you haven't told us.

Does his dad behave like you?

No, his dad is more of a 'let him go' kind of thinking. Maybe because he was raised differently and had more siblings than I (I only have one brother).

I used to think my husband was too soft on our son, but now I see that it was I who was too needy and strict.

• Author
He hasn't abandoned you, but you wanting to spending time with him and his fiancée doesn't sound quite right.

I don't know if it's because he's your only child, but you really are smothering him.

You really have to understand that he's a grown adult who didn't want his mother making decisions for him or interfering in his life this way.

You said you apologised, but with everything you say here, you still don't get it. I honestly don't mean to sound harsh, but you are pushing him away.

Your son sounds like a sensible young man and you'll just have to let him live his life. Remember that parents have an obligation to look after their children under the age of 18, their is no obligation the other way round.

Try and respect his decisions or you'll also end up becoming the unpopular mother in law that can never be pleased. Further down the line, you'll be kept away from any grandchildren if you don't change your attitude, as he'll think nothing satisfies you and you are full of criticism.

Don't make this worse for yourself.

While I can understand and respect why he's acting like this, I can not like this.

What can I do if I feel this way? I'm giving him space and letting him live his life, but he's my only son and he's distant, I'm trying to find out ways to cope with this.

It's hard.

• Author
My oh my how sad and disheartening that when you (the parent) are tossed around for expressing your empty nest stage. I'm truly sorry that some remarks made here seem less then comforting or helpful. You came here for support and get blamed for being a parent who wants to share time with a family member. I've been in your shoes... its a stumbling block that takes time to work thru.

A poster mentioned a letter... please consider that as a way to open the door to both set new ground and remain hopeful of the feedback. you don't ever need to grovel to your son, express your side, understand his adult decisions... and in time things do move in a more mature relationship. You will always be his mother, its a given.. you will get thru this .. and the family will move forward. it takes some open discussions where each side is regarded.

Maybe I needed this harsh comments. I was pushing my son away and someone must shake me to wake me up.

I'm considering this letter, but I'm afraid that if I express my side, I will only be thought as this needy and controling mother.

I messed up really bad throwing that tantrum the last time he visited. I wonder what his fiancé is thinking about me now.

I'm considering this letter, but I'm afraid that if I express my side, I will only be thought as this needy and controling mother.

What do you have to lose? Your relationship with him is already strained.

Actually writing the letter is a way for you to apologize and admit fault. That's not controlling at all. That's admitting to being a human who makes mistakes too.

When you're afraid of something that's the best time to act. That courage to act is what makes you strong.

• Author
What do you have to lose? Your relationship with him is already strained.

Actually writing the letter is a way for you to apologize and admit fault. That's not controlling at all. That's admitting to being a human who makes mistakes too.

When you're afraid of something that's the best time to act. That courage to act is what makes you strong.

I've written it...just need to send it now.

But I don't know, it just doesn't feel like I'm being honest.

I again expressed my apologies and everything, but if I were to be 100% honest in this letter, I would say terrible things. Why do I feel this way?!

I would like to write that I feel he doesn't love me anymore, that he only thinks of himself and his life, that he's ungrateful and doesn't appreciate all the support I gave him, that he values his fiancé more than me and he is being very selfish of not sacrificing a bit of himself to at least spend a little time with me.

There, this is all I feel. I'm crying so hard now.

My husband thinks I should see a therapist and he offered to go with me. But in all my life all the tries I gave to therapy made no difference but the lack of money in the bank account.

I again expressed my apologies and everything, but if I were to be 100% honest in this letter, I would say terrible things. Why do I feel this way?!

I would like to write that I feel he doesn't love me anymore, that he only thinks of himself and his life, that he's ungrateful and doesn't appreciate all the support I gave him, that he values his fiancé more than me and he is being very selfish of not sacrificing a bit of himself to at least spend a little time with me.

My husband thinks I should see a therapist and he offered to go with me. But in all my life all the tries I gave to therapy made no difference but the lack of money in the bank account.

I think your husband is right. You need to go talk to a professional about how the empty nest is affecting you. I would advise not to send the letter. You said yourself that you aren't being honest in it so why send it? If your son knows you he will pick up on it and it may drive an even bigger wedge in your relationship with him. Say what you will but what I pick up on in your words is that you think he has chosen his fiancé over you. That is not a healthy way to look at it. The bible says in Ephesians "For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh." You should want your son to find a wife and a partner. You should want him to find someone who he can build his OWN life with. This life should include a relationship with his parents but from what you describe when you say "that he values his fiancé more than me" that isn't what you truly want. You want a son that is dependent on you and lives just down the street and visits everyday.

Disappointment and anger stem from unmet expectations. You expect your son to do things a certain way and when he doesn't you get your feelings hurt. I understand that but maybe you need to look at what you expect of him and why. You should expect him to work which he does. You should expect him to be self sufficient which it appears he is. You should expect him to be well adjusted and work hard toward his future which it seems he is doing. You should expect him to maintain a healthy relationship with you and his dad. This is where I think your problems start.

I live less than a mile from my parents. It is close to my work place and my ex wife for the sake of my kids. It is a perfect location for me. My kids get off of the school bus at my parent's house and I pick them up everyday there. I am usually there less than 5 minutes total. I have to get home, start dinner, do homework with the kids, get them bathed, and off to bed so I am usually in a rush. Aside from this, I might spend time with my parent's maybe once every couple of months. Is that wrong? I would like to spend more time with them, I love them like crazy but with my work schedule ( I travel for work often) and my daughters playing softball and my son playing baseball it doesn't leave a lot of free time. I'm sure your son has a crazy schedule as well. He is also trying to balance seeing his fiancé's family as well. It is a balancing act. Add on top of that, when he finally does make time to come see you or spend time with you, you make him feel like a child by sweeping and cleaning his place and then making a fool of him by throwing a tantrum in front of his fiancé.

I will also tell you this, I would bet when he told his fiancé about how overbearing his mother was, she was probably the one taking up for you until that outburst in front of her. I do sympathize with you and I feel sorry that you feel abandoned. My wife's oldest son is a very busy man. Working his way up the ladder in corporate America, going to school to complete his degree, and raising a family. Still, my wife expects to be able to see him and her granddaughter. It doesn't happen often, but we make just as much of an effort to go see them, maybe even more so, than they do us. Still, when they do, she doesn't berate him about how he should make time for his mother because she understands how busy he is. I think it would behoove you to be more considerate of your sons' time constraints.

OP, don't be humiliated about going to see a therapist. This is a huge change for you in your life. A lot of us have been to therapists and even more should have. I urge you not to be dishonest to your son though. I believe that could cause more damage and being dishonest to get what you want from him is a form of manipulation. Don't go down that road. I think you probably already try to guilt him into doing things you want which is also a form of manipulation. Also, don't forget, you are the only one you can control in all of this. You can't control your husband, or your son and most definitely not his fiancé. Once you relinquish control of him (which is an illusion anyway) I believe your life will be easier. Good luck OP. I truly hope you find the peace you are seeking.

Edited by Thicke2013
  • Like 2
Standard-Fare

I don't know if you've already sent that letter?

If you haven't - in my opinion, it's not the best idea. I think it will come across as overly emotional, which will make you seem needy yet again. I fear that you'll go into more detail than your son needs about why you feel/act the way you have, with the unintended effect of making him feel more guilty.

If anything, a very short email, apologizing for the recent "scolding" incident, would be appropriate. Maybe you include a line like: "I realize I've been too hard on you at times, and maybe I've asked for too much. I hope you can understand that it's tough for me as a mom to get used to the reality that you're now a grown man and not my little boy anymore. But I'm trying my best to back off as you live your own life, and I hope you know how proud of you I am." No more than that.

But really, the best solution will be a change in behavior that your son will recognize and eventually respond to by shifting his own behavior. That will be a gradual process over time. You can't rush it.

• Like 1

Well I agree entirely with Thicke2013.

I would also add up that you should be aware that you are jealous of his fiancé and please be careful not to ruin anything between them.

Also, be glad that your son is not a momma's boy. No woman in the world would like a relationship with a man that bow his head for everything his mother says.

Your son sounds like a great man. You did a good job raising him, don't ruin everything for your jealousy or your need to control him.

• Like 1

It's ok to feel all these things. But you don't need to put the burden of these feelings onto him.

He's at a stage of his life where he DOES value his fiance more than you. And then she will likely become his wife, and will remain his #1 woman for the rest of his life. That is the way it is SUPPOSED to work.

He's also at a stage in his life where it is normal to be selfish. When he gets married and has kids and has the need to be family-focused again, he will be back - as long as you haven't permanently pushed him away.

I am with your husband. You are suffering. Even if therapy just gives you an outlet to let all your feelings out, that alone is enough to make it worthwhile. Do it!

• Like 3
He very seldom visits us, stating that whenever he comes, we overbear him and try to control him. While I agree that we can be needy, we only do that because we love him and don't want him to get hurt or anything of the kind.

He came here for xmas with his girlfriend and some trouble happened. He wanted to go with his friends and his girlfriend to visit an exposition near our city (which would end soon) on his last day here. I lost my nerves and got really angry with him and ended up exploding and scolding him because he prefered going to see this thing instead of staying with us parents who he barely sees.

:lmao:

Are you kidding? You DO overbear him. You DO try to control him. YOU screwed up and you had no business trying to make him move closer to you, guilting him over it, and least of all harassing him when he wanted to do something with his friends. You SCOLDED a grown man? WTH is wrong with you?

And spare me the 'we do it because we love him' crap. You don't act like that because YOU love HIM. You do it because you are selfish and you want him all to yourself.

I feel sorry for whatever woman he eventually marries, having to deal with you.

Of course by then he'll probably no longer be speaking to you if you keep this up.

He has asked a lot of times for us to come but not to mention/try to interfere with anything in his house for that is how he likes to keep it. But I confess I haven't even tried last time...I entered his house and started pointing out spots that need more cleaning and reorganizing. I couldn't resist and took a broom and started sweeping around.

I guess we may have annoyed him so I feel like I should just give him some space now.

If you were my mother and you did that, I would have kicked you out and told you to never return. You 'couldn't resist'? Sure you could. But you're used to being in charge, to running his life and probably your husband's, and you just can't accept that. Guess what? You're going to end up ALONE.

You could - if you could learn to shut up and stop undermining HIS choices.
  • Like 1

OP, I'm confused by your posts. It's like you KNOW what you are doing is overbearing and excessive and pushing him away... you can describe all the things that you are doing wrong. But you seem to have zero inclination to change?

Has it ever occurred to you that the reason he is becoming distant is due to your own behaviour? If you are 'scolding' him when he visits you, and you pick on the cleanliness of his house when you visit him (and this is in addition to all of the other things that you try to get him to do YOUR way without any respect for his independence as an adult), then is it any wonder that he is minimizing those visits?

Perhaps try being more respectful and less overbearing when he does visit you, and chat with him as one adult to another. You may find he chooses to visit more often in that case.

And please stop trying to convince him to move near you. It's very selfish to want your offspring to live their lives to please you - he has to focus on his own future now.

• Like 2
Maybe I needed this harsh comments. I was pushing my son away and someone must shake me to wake me up.

I messed up really bad throwing that tantrum the last time he visited. I wonder what his fiancé is thinking about me now.

His fiance thinks you're a controlling, intrusive, selfish woman who will probably make her life miserable. Because that's what HE has been telling her.

At this stage, you don't need to express a side. You've already hardened his thoughts, he no longer trusts you.

What to do? Work on yourself. See a therapist if you have to. Spend the next couple of years dedicated to changing YOU and making every interaction with BOTH of them as pleasant as possible. Listen to them. Ask them questions about their lives. NEVER tell them anything. Never plan anything for them. Let them invite you. Stop changing his home or telling him where he should live or anything like that.

Show him in ACTIONS that you have changed, so he will feel safe to be around you again. You can turn this around. But it has to start with you working on you.

Above all, ask your HUSBAND what you do to hurt your relationship with your son. I guarantee he knows everything. He just quit speaking out loud years ago.

he values his fiancé more than me

OMG, he is SUPPOSED to! That's why it's called leaving the nest - they move out, move on, and start a NEW family with their new woman.

You'll always be his mother. But you will never be the one woman in his life. I don't understand how you don't know that that's how life works.

What's weird is I just had a conversation with my DD24 this very hour - she lives at home while she goes to grad school, but her dad really would be happy if she'd just live with us for the rest of our lives. Well, guess what? She has a boyfriend now. And she's making plans with him. And it's driving my H crazy, and she had to tell him tonight that she just can't handle it any more that he's trying to hold on to her when she's an adult. That the more he tries to hold on, the more time she's going to spend at her boyfriend's house - to avoid him.

Sound familiar?

Uh... no. This is NOT what amaysngrace suggested, from what I read of her post. You are not apologizing or admitting fault at all! This is all about what you want, what you think he should do, you you you. I will give you credit for being honest, but this will come across as extremely selfish and all about how he can twist his life around to fit what you want.

Don't you want the child that you brought up, to have his own life and future? If he were to sacrifice his job, his fiance, his plans for his future, just to move near you and be what you want him to be... what will become of him when you are gone?

Try again.

I'm sorry that you're so sad and I'm sure that your pain is very real but I don't understand how you, as a mother, choose not to celebrate this happy time in your son's life.

You're making this all about you then say that your son is the selfish one. He isn't the only one. You're being selfish here too.

You have a child celebrating a joyous time because he's found a woman he wants to share his life with. Do you remember how exciting that was when you and your fiancée, now husband, were looking forward to getting married and all the hopes you had and shared together while planning your future?

Do you remember how good that felt?

You should be happy for your son instead of feeling sorry for yourself. What you are doing is so unfair to your child, yet all you see is how he is treating you unfairly. There's something very wrong with that picture.

It's like as if you are holding every single good thing that you've ever done for your child over his head. Did you resent him his whole life while you were making those sacrifices for him too or did you do it out of love?

Or have you always been in competition for you son's love, even with your own husband since they have the male bonding thing going on for them?

I honestly don't understand where all of this is stemming from.

• Like 2

As terrible as it is to say I feel like this may just be a part of him 'finding himself'. It sounds like he has made a life for himself in this new city, with a job and girlfriend. Although everything you do for him is out of love, which I'm sure he knows deep down, maybe it can feel overbearing enough that it actually pushes him away slightly.

My parents went through a fairly similar situation with my brother. In the end he came to realise that they had good intentions at heart and it became easier. They now talk on the phone at least once a week. I guess maybe you have to accept that a part of him becoming his own man is him becoming a bit more distant?

I'm sorry that you're so sad and I'm sure that your pain is very real but I don't understand how you, as a mother, choose not to celebrate this happy time in your son's life.

You're making this all about you then say that your son is the selfish one. He isn't the only one. You're being selfish here too.

You have a child celebrating a joyous time because he's found a woman he wants to share his life with. Do you remember how exciting that was when you and your fiancée, now husband, were looking forward to getting married and all the hopes you had and shared together while planning your future?

Do you remember how good that felt?

You should be happy for your son instead of feeling sorry for yourself. What you are doing is so unfair to your child, yet all you see is how he is treating you unfairly. There's something very wrong with that picture.

It's like as if you are holding every single good thing that you've ever done for your child over his head. Did you resent him his whole life while you were making those sacrifices for him too or did you do it out of love?

Or have you always been in competition for you son's love, even with your own husband since they have the male bonding thing going on for them?

I honestly don't understand where all of this is stemming from.

Been in the muck of vacillating between support for my kids and having the empty nest syndrome hit. ITs no different then a mother who gives birth and everyone telling her she "SHOULD FEEL" joy, yet she is depressed. Like somehow telling her to FEEL a certain way changes things. IT doesn't.

She is stuck in a phase, and its hard until you go thru it to tell another what they SHOULD and SHOULDN"T feel or do. Its her time to go thru this and its hitting her hard....We can guide her and assure her, yet ultimately we can listen(read) and validate her... The OP is feeling unloved ...and its between her and her son to work this out in an adult manner...Both conceding that this change is happening, yet the love will always be there...

• Author

A big thanks to everybody who posted here, being nice or harsh, it helped.

Well, I give up. I can't fight this.

I feel angry that my son prefers staying where he is, feel resentful that he rather stay on the weekends doing nothing than coming here to see me, jealous that he is valuing his fiancé more than me and terribly sad that now he doesn't depend on my anymore. I lost my little boy, I have to accept he's now a man.

And I can't do it alone.

I'm going to start therapy next week and I pray to God that it helps me, because I can't shake all this negativity away, no matter how I acknowledge that my son is doing what needs to be done for him to be happy.

• Like 7
A big thanks to everybody who posted here, being nice or harsh, it helped.

Well, I give up. I can't fight this.

I feel angry that my son prefers staying where he is, feel resentful that he rather stay on the weekends doing nothing than coming here to see me, jealous that he is valuing his fiancé more than me and terribly sad that now he doesn't depend on my anymore. I lost my little boy, I have to accept he's now a man.

And I can't do it alone.

I'm going to start therapy next week and I pray to God that it helps me, because I can't shake all this negativity away, no matter how I acknowledge that my son is doing what needs to be done for him to be happy.

Kudos to you for getting help and being strong enough to realize that you can't do it on your own. I pray that this helps you personally get to where you want to be for yourself but also in your relationship with your son. I urge you to go into therapy with a completely open mind and listen intently to apply what they are saying. Some people who have a hard time with therapy, do so because they already have their minds made up when they go in that there is nothing wrong with them.

I went to individual therapy after my divorce because I wanted to be proactive to not let any potential issues or skewed views I had of things to affect the beautiful relationship I had with the woman who is now my wife. It is hard to hear some of the things we are doing is wrong or some of our views of things are wrong but it does help. This is a huge step in life for you, take it on full and listen intently and apply the things that the therapist tells you to do. Good luck OP.

• Like 1