Plus size models in Cosmo

By 25 years of age, for example, healthy-weight women have almost twice the body fat that healthy-weight men have. Why does fat deposit on the hips and thighs of women and around the stomachs of men? - Scientific American

Androgynous models and women so skinny they have no natural fat are not the norm and should not be considered to be the norm either.

Hormones dictate the the fat content of healthy young women's bodies.

Fat deposition on the buttocks, thighs and pelvis of a woman is NORMAL.

• Like 1
I have to wonder why someone would get so affected by seeing someone else that they consider overweight.

No one is forcing you to date them or even be friends with them.

Do you feel so crappy about yourself that you shame fat people to make them feel even worse about themselves than they already are?

How very typical of you. When your weak intellect runs out of ideas for a debate, you resort to personal attacks on people's self esteem, as you always do on this forum,

News flash... I'm loaded with self esteem and very confident. I'm able to get into debates without personal attack. You should try to build your self up some so you don't have to resort to personal attacks on people you are mentally incapable of having a debate with.

This is a clear pattern of behavior. You do it in every male vs female thread.

They put themselves in the public spotlight with their fame lust.

Part of putting yourself out there to be looked at is to be judged. End of story.

Those fat ladies in the first post are indeed quite unhealthy. Ask a physician.

They will develop severe health problems soon. Not as soon as a heroin user, but steadily they will develop hypertension, diabetes, joint problems, etc... and all because they are too lazy to live a healthy lifestyle.

The comparison to herion users is dramatic, but apt.

Both are destroying their bodies through bad habits and addictions.

So... do you personally know them and see how much exercise they do/don't do?

I was so happy to see this article and these models because their body types are pretty much like my own. (Probably on a taller scale though, I'm not 6 feet tall and 200, I'm much shorter and wear a size 12. But proportionally, they look like me.) I would never have had the confidence to have my picture taken like that, even when I was younger and slimmer than I am now.

To see your disdainful comments and your assumption that they're unhealthy really hurts, nofeelings22. We zaftig ladies DO EXERCISE and we LIKE it! Sure I have off times, but I feel sluggish and yucky when I go for a few days without running around my neighborhood. It's frustrating when I work out regularly, eat only 1400 or so calories a day for long stretches, and my body still stubbornly holds on to that weight. Some of us have what's called an 'endomorphic' body type, so we cannot look like a Victoria's Secret model even after months, YEARS of dieting and exercise. Our bodies just don't GO that way.

If these ladies were shown to men back in Victorian times or the 18th century, they would all agree without question that they are absolutely beautiful and healthy, with curves and the ability to have 'stores' to survive famine. Look at the art of those eras! It's only been the last 40-50 years in history that women with stick arms and ribcages showing have been the ideal of beauty. At least there are a few men who love us big girls, my husband being one of them.

Edited by bebe23
  • Like 6

If you want to see what women and gay men think are attractive women, you can pull up Cosmo. It's probably more to do with them making whatever clothes they come up with fit however they want it to fit and not have to worry about curves getting in the way.

If you want to see what men think are attractive women, check out Playboy or Victoria Secrets.

I don't go around telling fat people they're fat. I also don't believe fat people claiming they work out and don't eat much food and still can't lose weight because they have a magical body that makes energy from nothing. No, I am not calling you a liar. I am saying I doubt you know what you're capable of and what trying really is. Give a Marine Corps Drill sargent 2 months of control over your life 24/7 and you will absolutely drop the weight that you haven't been able to lose for the last 10 years with your idea of trying.

I don't agree with fat acceptance as the norm. It supports people that are fat to just stay fat. I am not going around hunting down fat people, I don't treat them poorly, I just don't think we should have to do things to accomodate them.

• Like 3
How very typical of you. When your weak intellect runs out of ideas for a debate, you resort to personal attacks on people's self esteem, as you always do on this forum,

News flash... I'm loaded with self esteem and very confident. I'm able to get into debates without personal attack. You should try to build your self up some so you don't have to resort to personal attacks on people you are mentally incapable of having a debate with.

This is a clear pattern of behavior. You do it in every male vs female thread.

They put themselves in the public spotlight with their fame lust.

Part of putting yourself out there to be looked at is to be judged. End of story.

Well, it's not a personal attack. It's a general question. If the hat doesn't fit, you really don't have to wear it.

Also, aren't you just now attacking my self-esteem? (bolded)

Oh, the irony.

Edit: also, I'll take it as a compliment that you follow me around threads like a little dog enough to know my patterns of behaviour on here.

Not creepy at all.

most_distant_galaxy
t's frustrating when I work out regularly, eat only 1400 or so calories a day for long stretches, and my body still stubbornly holds on to that weight. Some of us have what's called an 'endomorphic' body type, so we cannot look like a Victoria's Secret model even after months, YEARS of dieting and exercise. Our bodies just don't GO that way.

Don't listen to what some people in here say. It's easier for some body types (especially men) to lose weight. But if you are a woman who carries weight on her lower body, you already know how hard it is to get rid of this fat. I know what you mean. It's right under the skin and harder to break it down. Have you tried increasing your calories? It sounds crazy but it can work if you eat healthy foods, clean proteins, whole grains. Maybe your metabolism got slower by eating 1400 calories for a long time (because 1400 are few). Maybe 1800-1900 for a couple of weeks will help you get out of this plateau. I also recommend jumping rope, it's awesome, and melts even more calories than jogging (10 minutes of jump rope equal 30 minutes of jogging).

• Like 1
Give a Marine Corps Drill sargent 2 months of control over your life 24/7 and you will absolutely drop the weight that you haven't been able to lose for the last 10 years with your idea of trying.

I'm thin, and I've never had to go to these extraordinary lengths to be thin.

It's not simply not reasonable for people to go to those lengths to be thin when they can eat and exercise normally, be happy, and feel attractive at a fatter size.

• Like 8

It's not simply not reasonable for people to go to those lengths to be thin when they can eat and exercise normally, be happy, and feel attractive at a fatter size.

This. Also removing the focus on being thin or dieting and focusing on moving, eating a variety of fresh, unprocessed foods and enjoying life. To live well.

I like this infographic

The cost of getting lean: Is it really worth the trade-off? [infographic] | Precision Nutrition

I struggle to get lean. As an endurance athlete my training is already at 16-22 hours a week and food is a fine balance. Enough to fuel performance but at the same time I could lean up a bit. It's hard to have both.

Dropping weight and getting into model shape are two different things. You can lose weight, but the weight can come from a part of the body that's not one of the vanity muscles or areas. It's all genetics.

The whole "plus-size" model thing is very new. 50 years ago none of those women would be in a photo shoot. There is definitely a trend that "fat is beautiful."

No. There isn't.

Also, that was not the point of my post. But what does it matter anyway. Pearl-clutching is so much more fun than history or social science. Egads, &c.

• Like 3
CrystalCastles
If the message is "You can be beautiful at any size!" the kilo of makeup and 100 manhours of airbrushing immediately contradict that.

Well at least airbrushing doesn't discriminate between big women or thin women. It seems everyone gets airbrushed regardless of size!

Good point, I wonder when we're going to see ads without all the nauseating airbrush fakery and professional makeup artistry.

Yeah.... for all those saying that 'glamorizing larger women is a modern trend', you've clearly never been in an art gallery.

http://www.rulingplanets.com/sites/default/files/images/blog/VenusPeter_Paul_Rubens_111.jpg

https://www.oneonta.edu/faculty/farberas/arth/Images/110images/sl9images/titian_venus_urbino.jpg

http://www.blogher.com/files/venus_0.jpg

Seriously, prefer whatever you prefer, but there's no denying that the current supermodel 'ideal' is just that, a relatively modern trend. Not just that, but a modern, urban trend. There are still villages in Africa where the 'ideal' is fat (really fat, not just a bit of padding the pictures above) and young girls are unfortunately sent to 'camps' to fatten them up for their husbands.

Which brings me to the real point of my post - why is it that despite all our 'progress', some men (not all, just some) still feel as entitled as their rural African counterparts are, to dictate how women should or should not look like? Force-feeding those girls in Africa to shape them to men's ideals is repulsive, yes, but it's really just the other side of the coin from some of the posts being made here. You don't see us making posts complaining about the body shape of male actors like Alan in The Hangover under false pretense of being aghast that it would encourage millions of boys to become obese, do you? If we did, would you find it acceptable?

Edited by Elswyth
  • Like 11
Yeah.... for all those saying that 'glamorizing larger women is a modern trend', you've clearly never been in an art gallery.

http://www.rulingplanets.com/sites/default/files/images/blog/VenusPeter_Paul_Rubens_111.jpg

https://www.oneonta.edu/faculty/farberas/arth/Images/110images/sl9images/titian_venus_urbino.jpg

Seriously, prefer whatever you prefer, but there's no denying that the current supermodel 'ideal' is just that, a relatively modern trend. Not just that, but a modern, urban trend. There are still villages in Africa where the 'ideal' is fat (really fat, not just a bit of padding the pictures above) and young girls are unfortunately sent to 'camps' to fatten them up for their husbands.

Which brings me to the real point of my post - why is it that despite all our 'progress', some men (not all, just some) still feel as entitled as their rural African counterparts are, to dictate how women should or should not look like? Force-feeding those girls in Africa to shape them to men's ideals is repulsive, yes, but it's really just the other side of the coin from some of the posts being made here. You don't see us making posts complaining about the body shape of male actors like Alan in The Hangover under false pretense of being aghast that it would encourage millions of boys to become obese, do you? If we did, would you find it acceptable?

Nail on head.

• Like 3
I think those women in those photos look beautiful.

Sometimes I'm concerned that some aspects of the "body confidence" movement are trying to normalise being unhealthily overweight (that's perhaps the flip-side to the traditional fashion movement trying to normalise being unhealthily underweight),

I agree. I think the women in the pictures look beautiful, but I also believe that they would look more beautiful if they were somewhere in the middle of their medically healthy weight range. Looking at those pictures doesn't make me think "wow, I wish I were that size". Their faces, yes. Their hair, yes. Their size - no.

I'm not very keen on the promotion of overweight models as a counter to the fashion industry's insatiable appetite for anorexic ones. Or the notion that in order to qualify as a "real woman" one ought to be carrying a fair amount of surplus poundage. I don't think either extreme promotes a healthy attitude towards eating or taking care of one's body.

• Like 2
Bullsh*t.

30, 40 even 50 years ago women in magazines were much more robust, curvy, voluptuous or whatever you want to call it.

Look at Marilyn Monroe - she was a size 16 and men fell over themselves to get close to her.

For a while a few years ago I was a size 8 UK (I think that's a size 4 US). During that time I tried on my mother's wedding dress and only just managed to squeeze into it. It was a size 10 (UK size)- but that was back in the early 1960s. Proof that size 10 now is not what it was.

I've always really struggled with this notion of Marilyn Monroe being a size 16. Especially if that's a US size 16. This link gives details of Marilyn Monroe's height and measurements.

Marilyn Monroe real dress size, measurements, weight? really size 16?

Her dressmaker provided the following statistics which demonstrate that her real weight (as opposed to the official weight provided by Hollywood) fluctuated by around 22 pounds. At her heaviest, she would be 140 pounds. I don't understand how 22 pounds didn't affect her waist by more than an inch, but I'm presuming that when she was at her heaviest the dresses were still made to fit a 23 inch waist and she just had to squeeze into it.

Height: 5 feet, 5½ inches

Weight: 118-140 pounds (Hollywood studios listed her between 115-120 lbs.)

Bust: 35-37 inches

Waist: 22-23 inches

Hips: 35-36 inches

Bra size: 36D

I've never seen a picture of Marilyn Monroe where she's looked anything close to a US size 16...which would be like a UK size 20. At the very most I'd say a UK size 14 (and even that seems unlikely) which would be a US size 10. Allowing for the sizing having changed over the past 40 years it does seem possible that she'd have been a US size 14 as size 14 looked back in the 1960s....but by today's sizing standards, at her heaviest she would probably be a current US size 10.

• Like 2
I've never seen a picture of Marilyn Monroe where she's looked anything close to a US size 16...which would be like a UK size 20. At the very most I'd say a UK size 14 (and even that seems unlikely) which would be a US size 10. Allowing for the sizing having changed over the past 40 years it does seem possible that she'd have been a US size 14 as size 14 looked back in the 1960s....but by today's sizing standards, at her heaviest she would probably be a current US size 10.

I don't think the issue is really what size Marilyn was, the fact was she was a curvy smallish woman and curvy smallish women are not now seen as the norm in modelling clothes and in the media. Hourglass figures have been replaced with thin rectangles.

Clothes models have no real feminine shape as the clothes fit better without much alterations on stick thin models, and we as the general public have become accustomed to more and more bizarre body shapes, due to the choice of such women as models and due to the skills of photoshop.

So to some Marilyn is now seen as "fat", along with some of the other pin ups of her era.

• Like 1
I agree. I think the women in the pictures look beautiful, but I also believe that they would look more beautiful if they were somewhere in the middle of their medically healthy weight range. Looking at those pictures doesn't make me think "wow, I wish I were that size". Their faces, yes. Their hair, yes. Their size - no.

I'm not very keen on the promotion of overweight models as a counter to the fashion industry's insatiable appetite for anorexic ones. Or the notion that in order to qualify as a "real woman" one ought to be carrying a fair amount of surplus poundage. I don't think either extreme promotes a healthy attitude towards eating or taking care of one's body.

I feel like saying plus size models are promoting obesity is the same as saying current models promote anorexia.

The problem is that one or two body types are promoted as 'ideal' but in reality, people come in all shapes and sizes and it should be reflected in the fashion industry.

As far as using overweight models as a counter to anorexic-looking ones, I completely agree. All this is doing is shifting the 'your body is not ok' from one group of person to another. And the same is happening with the new 'fit is the new sexy' trend coming along.

All this is is people telling others how their body should look and that they should go to extremes to attain it.

• Like 2
I don't think the issue is really what size Marilyn was, the fact was she was a curvy smallish woman and curvy smallish women are not now seen as the norm in modelling clothes and in the media. Hourglass figures have been replaced with thin rectangles.

Clothes models have no real feminine shape as the clothes fit better without much alterations on stick thin models, and we as the general public have become accustomed to more and more bizarre body shapes, due to the choice of such women as models and due to the skills of photoshop.

So to some Marilyn is now seen as "fat", along with some of the other pin ups of her era.

By the fashion industry and their groupies. Outside of that, I think there are also the hard core gym nuts who would consider her body to be too "soft". They probably wouldn't want her to lose weight - but they'd want to harden her body up so that it lost all traces of the softness. They'd tell her she wasn't good enough as she was.

I think whatever size a woman is, she will always find some people telling her she's too thin, others thinking she's too fat, professional gym trainers telling her she's too soft, other people telling her that the gym toned look isn't feminine enough.

The most objective judges are the tape measure and an assessment of our body fat percentage. They don't have personal preferences. They just give us the welcome or brutal truth as to how we shape up in terms of physical health. As long as we trust those to indicate when we're in good physical health then I think we're better placed to ignore the subjective views of others who want to impose their own individual preferences on our bodies.

Marilyn Monroe was very evidently a healthy weight, even if the fashion and gym industries wouldn't be keen on the way she looked. I don't think the ladies in those pictures in the OP are a medically healthy weight. With one of them, there's a proud display of a fairly ample roll of fat around the middle which is never a good indicator so far as physical health goes.

Edited by Taramere
  • Like 2

It's a known fact that clothing companies have changed their sizing over the years. at her heaviest (5'5'', 140 lbs) should wouldn't have been smaller than a size 10. Probably 7 or 8 but I am size 10 and I'm 180lbs.

That being said, unless bra sizes have also changed over the years, I have bigger boobs than Marilyn Monroe!

Woot! :bunny:

HazyCosmicJive

When women stop requiring men to be "good providers" we'll stop requiring women to be slender and fit.

When women stop requiring men to be "good providers" we'll stop requiring women to be slender and fit.

So promised a man in the early 1960s I presume. Since then it it has become far more common for women to either be self supporting or more reliant on the state (funded by working men and women) and to stop being so reliant on individual men.

Now the average woman is bigger than she was in the 1960s. So it seems as though the deal you propose has already been done.

• Like 1

The extreme focus on women's appearance is a thread that runs through every trend and every photo spread and every judgment. But that's what sells.

A primary focus on health would have better outcomes, for everyone except the beauty industry.

And this is the goal of the "Health at every size" movement as I understand it. People who focus on health, not a target size or shape, hopefully will have better long term success in maintaining a healthy body. Those who are overweight will lose weight as they adopt healthy practices in a sustainable way. Form follows function, and healthy does NOT always look like magazine proportions.

• Like 3
thefooloftheyear
The extreme focus on women's appearance is a thread that runs through every trend and every photo spread and every judgment. But that's what sells.

A primary focus on health would have better outcomes, for everyone except the beauty industry.

And this is the goal of the "Health at every size" movement as I understand it. People who focus on health, not a target size or shape, hopefully will have better long term success in maintaining a healthy body. Those who are overweight will lose weight as they adopt healthy practices in a sustainable way. Form follows function, and healthy does NOT always look like magazine proportions.

True..

And I dont know why anyone thinks that modeling has any bearing on what people actually look like...Its no different for men or women...Most of the male models have the types of body that I had.....when I was 12 years old..

Point is that anyone who uses that as some kind of benchmark is either delusional or ?? ...Its not about anything to do with reality..

TFY

• Like 1