Plus size models in Cosmo

Bullsh*t.

30, 40 even 50 years ago women in magazines were much more robust, curvy, voluptuous or whatever you want to call it.

Look at Marilyn Monroe - she was a size 16 and men fell over themselves to get close to her.

Have you ever watched Mad Men?

Ever picked up an art book from the Renaissance period or visited the Sistine Chapel or St. Peter's Basilica? Just look at how Michelangelo portrayed women of that time period.

The examples are countless.

The difference is women weren't called "plus size" back then, it was just the norm.

Marilyn Monroe Size 16

Towards the end of her career and at her heaviest, she was 5'5 ~140.

Just do a Google Image search for "Marilyn Monroe bikini" to see how thin she used to be.

My thoughts are something like this:

Lovely ladies!

Why are their faces so airbrushed?

And the cellulite too... airbrushed.

Why is it necessary to have a feature about women of different sizes?

Good question.

Why aren't there normally women of different sizes featured?

Same reason there aren't fat guys on the cover of GQ or Abercrombie ads. Nobody wants to look at that. Beauty sells. Grabs positive attention. Fat doesn't.

Why would anyone want to criticize these women's bodies?

Because they are making a public spectacle of themselves. They signed up to be criticized through their quest to be "famous." Same as anyone else who makes a public spectacle of themselves. People don't criticize overweight people in the office or store. These women pit themselves in this situation by lusting after fame.

Why are we so focused on women's bodies anyway?

We are focused on all celebrities bodies. Women more so because they have more to look at. Men are like tractors. Women like Ferraris. Much less going on with us, so people don't bother with us.

Why does anyone care what Cosmo says?

Because they are a setter of trends. It is important being fat is not the new trends, like having a fat ass has become. Important for so many reasons.....

A few ansewrs to the questions posed....

Marilyn Monroe Size 16

Just do a Google Image search for "Marilyn Monroe bikini" to see how thin she used to be.

And she's the only one that ever remained popular after gaining weight.

Look at all the rest of the sexy women from those days. None are overweight and the entire population was in far better shape.

Jackie Kennedy Onasis. All natural, a picture of perfection in her younger years. In perfect shape. Look at her muscle tone.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y121/HermosaSuerte/Bouvier%20Family/2nd%20Generation/Jackie/Children/JBKCBKsmileplay.gif

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/life-and-times-of-a-young-republican/jackie%20kennedy%20tart.jpg

A lot of women used to look like this. Now most of them look like these Cosmo pics. And so do the guys.

If anyone wants more success in dating, get off your ass, eat right and be in shape. It's the single best thing you can do to attract the opposite sex.

We are wired to look for mates with good genes who are healthy. Fat signals not healthy on a primal level, no matter how you analyse it.

In other words, it's OK to be fat.

Don't worry about eating right or exercising. Those things don't matter anymore.

Of course they matter for health reasons.

But within healthy parameters, accepting one's body need not be about what men prefer. It's a pretty radical and freeing idea.

Of course they matter for health reasons.

But within healthy parameters, accepting one's body need not be about what men prefer. It's a pretty radical and freeing idea.

True. Unless you want to have a man around. Then it does matter. I don't work the hell out of my upper body so I can look good in a mirror. It's to attract women. And it works.

• Like 1
thefooloftheyear

I think the general trend is heavier women and stick thin and spindly(no muscle), guys....

I was at a party over the last weekend...No woman there under the age of 40, yet NONE of them were larger than a size 6 and all had killer bodies...Most of them had grown kids as well..Conversely, a lot of chubby 20 somethings at my gym....

TFY

Bullsh*t.

30, 40 even 50 years ago women in magazines were much more robust, curvy, voluptuous or whatever you want to call it.

Look at Marilyn Monroe - she was a size 16 and men fell over themselves to get close to her.

Bullsh*t

As a direct example of her size, the white dress she wore in The Seven Year Itch was recently auctioned off and was put on a mannequin that was a size 2, but they were still unable to zip up the dress as the mannequin was too big.

Marilyn was not a size 16. She was 5'5"ish and @120lbs. And yes I do think at times she was heavier than that and carrying "a few extra" pounds.

However USA clothes sizing is warped as all ****all now to make fat people not think they are wearing a size extra extra extra extra extra large.

Also

the average American woman in the 1950s had a 25 inch waist compared to Monroe’s 22 inches. Whereas today, the average American woman has a waist size of 34 inches, so the gap between the models and “average” was much less pronounced then
  • Like 1

I don't really understand what the message of these photos is. First of all I have trouble believing that the faces of these women are so thin compared to their bodies. When people are over weight, their faces get bigger as well. I don't find the faces matching the bodies, but anyway. Personally I am over weight but try to exercise and eat healthy, and if I had to choose between being thin or over weight, I'd definitely choose to be thin, not to have more men's attention but to avoid all this discrimination and name calling towards fat people. In my opinion young women should not take examples from models on how they should be, may these models be thin or obese. Young women should try to be educated, good and caring people rather than spending so much time with make up and hair styling etc.

• Like 1
most_distant_galaxy

I think these models are beautiful. Especially the brunette is stunning. But some days ago I came across an article that basically described how even plus size models are unrealistic since they have small waists and curves at all the right places, and real-life plus sized women still feel bad about their own less-shaped curves. I also read another article where plus size models admitted that they are always given special pads to enhance their curves on breasts and buttocks.

Marilyn was not a size 16. She was 5'5"ish and @120lbs. And yes I do think at times she was heavier than that and carrying "a few extra" pounds.

However USA clothes sizing is warped as all ****all now to make fat people not think they are wearing a size extra extra extra extra extra large.

100% accurate post.

I can arrest to these clothing sizes.

Over the course of my 10 year marriage, it became increasingly difficult to find clothing for my ex. At 5'2", 100lbs of solid muscle, she was in top shape. Very strong. Ate properly, exercised vigorously daily.

She started as a size 1 when we first met. Her body never changed size, yet, she had to move to size 0. Then 00 when she could find them. The clothes just got bigger and bigger!

Toward the end of our marriage, I kid you not, we had to shop in the juniors and children's clothing section to find anything that would fit.

Same trend in men's clothing too.

If your a guy and push iron regularly - your going to have issues finding clothes that fit, or fit right without them assuming you got a stomach to match those large shoulders and arms. Forget finding a suit or blazer in most department stores.

Marilyn Monroe Size 16

In the industry today that would be considered plus size. A normal model is 00,0 maybe a 2.

Plus size is 6,8, 10.

One of those girls was on a reality show curvy girls the brunette. I think she was a 12 or 14. Def not 200 lbs.

• Like 1
deathandtaxes
I think the general trend is heavier women and stick thin and spindly(no muscle), guys....

I was at a party over the last weekend...No woman there under the age of 40, yet NONE of them were larger than a size 6 and all had killer bodies...Most of them had grown kids as well..Conversely, a lot of chubby 20 somethings at my gym....

TFY

Living off their hubbies and have all the time and money in the world to get to the gym with a personal trainer...

TFY

I have a theory on this. The women in their 40's children have grown. They don't need 24/7 attention. So what happens is they realize that they can still look great and take care of themselves. A lot of women in their 20's are still going out all the time. Women in their early 30's are fatigued from the kids.

It usually happens right around the 20th high school reunion. I couldn't believe how many average high school girls looked unbelievable at my 25th.

Fool, if your single, you better have reeled something in.

• Like 1
The average weight of American women in 2010 is significantly higher than that of 1960, when the average American woman weighed 140.2 pounds; this is an increase of 26 pounds. The average height has also increased during that time period, but by a much smaller margin -- 63.1 to 63.8 inches. As a result of this disproportionate increase in weight, the average Body Mass Index of women in 2010 is 28.7, which falls into the category of overweight. By comparison, the average Body Mass Index of women in 1960 was 24.9, which is on the high end of normal.

I would guess that the BMI of those two plus size models in Cosmo is between 24 and 28, which places them squarely in the average weight category of US women.

So while the plus model haters can diss those models as "disgusting", they are in fact dissing the average American woman and anyone, who is God Forbid!! above average size.

Neither model is grossly overweight IRL. Denise Bidot is 6 foot tall and Marina Bulatkina is 5 foot 10 - nowhere can I find they are over 200lbs, where does it say they are?

Is this plus size model "absolutely disgusting"?

Model Robyn Lawley opens up about her initial struggles in the industry | Daily Mail Online

Of course "The whole "plus-size" model thing is very new." :rolleyes:

http://www.peachridgeglass.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/492px-The_Three_Graces_by_Peter_Paul_Rubens_from_Prado_in_Google_Earth.jpg

thefooloftheyear
Living off their hubbies and have all the time and money in the world to get to the gym with a personal trainer...

You know them???:rolleyes:

I get sooooo tired of comments like this..

They all work(one of them works for me), and to my knowledge, two of them run their own companies...

Heck....I work my ass off, run two seperate companies, am pushing 50 and can put just about 95% of guys half my age to shame in both strength and physical appearance..

So....there goes your theory...

I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that these women(like many of the men that are their contemporaries) didnt grow up in the "tech age" where girls and boys spend their entire day staring at screens and getting fat and out of shape...When I was at the beach this summer, I was absolutely shocked at how many young girls(20's) had huge guts, fat asses and monster cottage cheese thighs...God knows how bad they are going to look when they hit middle age..

TFY

Edited by thefooloftheyear
  • Like 5
In the industry today that would be considered plus size. A normal model is 00,0 maybe a 2.

Plus size is 6,8, 10.

One of those girls was on a reality show curvy girls the brunette. I think she was a 12 or 14. Def not 200 lbs.

If 5'5, 140 is considered plus size, then how do you classify "models" that are 5'8, 200?

Google the models names and their weight. You'll get your answer.

I find them okay, but no, I wouldn't want to have their extra weight.

My goal is fitness and flexibility. I have both and am very content with that - yes, I want curves, rounded and strong thighs with muscle in them. If you never do sports you'll never feel the difference, but I can't stand my own thighs being wobbly anymore. I want to be able to jump out of bed in the morning without having a bad back or my head feeling sick. A healthy appearance is all I want.

So these thin girls whose ribcage is clearly visible are a no-go for me, same counts for all those normal-weighted girls with little skinny legs. The bigger ones to obese, well, they'll be the reason why I'll earn enough money to get a new house every year should I really choose the path to study medicine so I won't complain about them.

For men; nope, can't have thin guys. Rather a bit too much than too little, although not obese of course. Wouldn't feel like a man to me anymore if he had a smaller waist than me.

• Like 1

I think it's funny how the men who give themselves permission to shame these women's bodies usually have less than ideal bodies themselves.

I guess you'd all consider me obese and unhealthy.

Nevermind the fact I do at least 10 hours of moderate to intense physical activity per week...lol

• Like 5
todreaminblue

they are truly beautiful.......as a woman...and having teen daughters.......i hope this does become a norm.....not for all magazines to have only models such as this...but to show all women a broad spectrum of are beautiful...to have pics of tall thin women...short curvy women...tall curvy women short thin women........big women..women with cellulite and wrinkles..old women..women who have undergone chemo......to see the beauty in all women all ages .......should be the norm....appreciation of women...not scorn or distaste ...based on preferences that magazines have of displaying women......deb

• Like 1

The funny thing about the variety of opinions, is that I get this overall view...

Fat women are disgusting.

Skinny women are disgusting.

Athletic women are disgusting.

It appears there's no body type in existence that others won't find disgusting. It's kind of silly. Fat women need to stop eating and start exercising. Skinny women need to eat a sandwich cause only dogs like bones. Athletic women need to stop exercising because it's manly.

Eat, don't eat. Exercise, don't exercise. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Eff it. Right?

• Like 8
thefooloftheyear
The funny thing about the variety of opinions, is that I get this overall view...

It appears there's no body type in existence that others won't find disgusting. It's kind of silly. Fat women need to stop eating and start exercising. Skinny women need to eat a sandwich cause only dogs like bones. Athletic women need to stop exercising because it's manly.

Eat, don't eat. Exercise, don't exercise. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Eff it. Right?

I think the funniest thing is that the ones who are most likely to shame/ criticise these body types are actually other women!!....:lmao:

About the only body type I have ever heard guys complaining about is a woman who is too fat..Ive never in my entire life heard a guy say anything about a fit or thin woman....Never...And the guys "complaining" of fat women are a surprisingly pretty small group...Most guys actually prefer a woman with some meat on her and a surprising percentage "chubby chase"....

So, really, I think women are actually the harshest critics here...Mostly due to their inherent cattiness/competitiveness or jealous tendencies..

TFY

Eff it. Right?

And in all the variety of opinions that you've seen you haven't seen anyone saying they like anything or that anything is beautiful? You seem to be suffering from selective reading.

• Like 1
And in all the variety of opinions that you've seen you haven't seen anyone saying they like anything or that anything is beautiful? You seem to be suffering from selective reading.

Yes I saw those opinions. Why so rude?

I'm simply addressing the statements I see that are negative towards particular body types.

• Like 1
Yes I saw those opinions. Why so rude?

I'm simply addressing the statements I see that are negative towards particular body types.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be rude. You seemed to have arrived at an "overall view" completely absent of the positive things people say about differently shaped women (in this thread, or elsewhere). If you only wanted to address the negative statements then, sure, the overall view that you get will be that women of all shapes are disgusting... but that's a somewhat expected result if you're going to ignore those views expressing beauty.