Plus size models in Cosmo

Lernaean_Hydra
Sorry, I wasn't trying to be rude. You seemed to have arrived at an "overall view" completely absent of the positive things people say about differently shaped women (in this thread, or elsewhere). If you only wanted to address the negative statements then, sure, the overall view that you get will be that women of all shapes are disgusting... but that's a somewhat expected result if you're going to ignore those views expressing beauty.

I get what you're saying but I have to agree with Phoe here. While there are those who have expressed positive attitudes, the prosaic soliloquies in this thread all have a distinct tone of contempt for, well, any female body type.

• Like 1
I get what you're saying but I have to agree with Phoe here. While there are those who have expressed positive attitudes, the prosaic soliloquies in this thread all have a distinct tone of contempt for, well, any female body type.

Exactly. The "I like any body on a woman" views are awesome, but not terribly common. My post was expressing my disdain towards the fact that it's not common, that it's more likely you'll see some sort of really intense dislike of some body form.

Personally, guys who have no particular body preference are right up my alley. I intentionally did not put a body pic up on OLD specifically to weed out the ones who would care, and when asked to send a body pic, I declined.

I'm all for health and fitness, but I'm also all for a guy who won't judge me no matter how I am.

The funny thing about the variety of opinions, is that I get this overall view...

Fat women are disgusting.

Skinny women are disgusting.

Athletic women are disgusting.

It appears there's no body type in existence that others won't find disgusting. It's kind of silly. Fat women need to stop eating and start exercising. Skinny women need to eat a sandwich cause only dogs like bones. Athletic women need to stop exercising because it's manly.

Eat, don't eat. Exercise, don't exercise. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Eff it. Right?

Don't you know by now?

We just can't win.

lol

• Like 1

Those overweight models were photoshopped, just like underweight models are photoshopped. Women that size have cellulite, lumps and veins. If they had ugly faces would people be so quick to call them beautiful?

I have no problem with other women being fat. Less competition for me! I do hate men being fat because I date men.

• Like 6
I think the funniest thing is that the ones who are most likely to shame/ criticise these body types are actually other women!!....:lmao:

About the only body type I have ever heard guys complaining about is a woman who is too fat..Ive never in my entire life heard a guy say anything about a fit or thin woman....Never...And the guys "complaining" of fat women are a surprisingly pretty small group...Most guys actually prefer a woman with some meat on her and a surprising percentage "chubby chase"....

So, really, I think women are actually the harshest critics here...Mostly due to their inherent cattiness/competitiveness or jealous tendencies..

TFY

Really? Because on here, the ones that have expressed the most disgust at the women's bodies in the link are men...

• Like 1
thefooloftheyear
Really? Because on here, the ones that have expressed the most disgust at the women's bodies in the link are men...

went back and read the whole thread...Only saw one post where the word "disgust" was used...Even with that, the disgust was mostly directed at the attempt to "force" heavy women down societies throat...

Additionally, you should know by now that the opinions/comments made on these threads rarely mirror actual societal norms..And that many posters are obviously launching stone attacks from a Gatling gun while living in an all glass house...:rolleyes:

But yes. IME the harshest critics of women.......are usually women...

TFY

went back and read the whole thread...Only saw one post where the word "disgust" was used...Even with that, the disgust was mostly directed at the attempt to "force" heavy women down societies throat...

Additionally, you should know by now that the opinions/comments made on these threads rarely mirror actual societal norms..And that many posters are obviously launching stone attacks from a Gatling gun while living in an all glass house...:rolleyes:

But yes. IME the harshest critics of women.......are usually women...

TFY

I agree with the bolded part. Bu tin this thread, not so much. Also, no need to use the word disgust to express disgust.

I get what is posted here does not mirror actual norms (THANK GAWD) but my comment referred to what was posted here.

The only woman here who express anything close to disgust towards these women's bodies is Fitchick.

• Like 4
Those overweight models were photoshopped, just like underweight models are photoshopped. Women that size have cellulite, lumps and veins. If they had ugly faces would people be so quick to call them beautiful?

I have no problem with other women being fat. Less competition for me! I do hate men being fat because I date men.

I wish I could like this post more than once.

True x10000000

For once, it's not a male/female subject.

I was the most vocally outspoken one.

My disgust is in glamourizing obesity or pkain old fatness.

The sex of the model is irrelevant. Put two fat guys up and make it look like something everyone should be doing, putting it in a magazine that sets trends and I'd be just as vocal.

Why not just have models with rubber bands around their arms injecting drugs?

deathandtaxes
You know them???:rolleyes:

I get sooooo tired of comments like this..

They all work(one of them works for me), and to my knowledge, two of them run their own companies...

Heck....I work my ass off, run two seperate companies, am pushing 50 and can put just about 95% of guys half my age to shame in both strength and physical appearance..

So....there goes your theory...

I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that these women(like many of the men that are their contemporaries) didnt grow up in the "tech age" where girls and boys spend their entire day staring at screens and getting fat and out of shape...When I was at the beach this summer, I was absolutely shocked at how many young girls(20's) had huge guts, fat asses and monster cottage cheese thighs...God knows how bad they are going to look when they hit middle age..

TFY

Levity. Just shooting for some levity...come on, it's Friday!!

For once, it's not a male/female subject.

I was the most vocally outspoken one.

My disgust is in glamourizing obesity or pkain old fatness.

The sex of the model is irrelevant. Put two fat guys up and make it look like something everyone should be doing, putting it in a magazine that sets trends and I'd be just as vocal.

Why not just have models with rubber bands around their arms injecting drugs?

I'm not the one who made it a male/female thing...

There is no glamorizing of obesity or plain old fatness. There is a difference between encouraging women to not body shame themselves and others because they don't meet society's beauty standard of wearing a size 6 or smaller and encouraging people to be unhealthy and fat.

Also, by the way, in most clothing stores, 'plus size' starts at 16. Why are 'plus size' model sizes 10 and 12?

Also, if the models looked like this

icePice.blogspot.com

I'd agree it's a huge hazard to their health.

There is nothing 'unhealthy' about the bodies of those women (in the OP) and to compare them to heroin users is just ridiculous.

• Like 1
The funny thing about the variety of opinions, is that I get this overall view...

Fat women are disgusting.

Skinny women are disgusting.

Athletic women are disgusting.

It appears there's no body type in existence that others won't find disgusting. It's kind of silly. Fat women need to stop eating and start exercising. Skinny women need to eat a sandwich cause only dogs like bones. Athletic women need to stop exercising because it's manly.

Eat, don't eat. Exercise, don't exercise. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Eff it. Right?

Here's what it all comes down to.

Women who are too fat are not attractive.

Women who are too skinny are not attractive.

Women who are too muscular are not attractive.

You're making it seem that those extremes are the only thing that exist and that's just not true.

The vast majority of women are not too fat, or too skinny or too muscular. They are just normal women.

My ideal woman is fit but still has feminine curves.

There is a happy medium between a 6-pack and a keg :)

There is nothing 'unhealthy' about the bodies of those women (in the OP) and to compare them to heroin users is just ridiculous.

Those fat ladies in the first post are indeed quite unhealthy. Ask a physician.

They will develop severe health problems soon. Not as soon as a heroin user, but steadily they will develop hypertension, diabetes, joint problems, etc... and all because they are too lazy to live a healthy lifestyle.

The comparison to herion users is dramatic, but apt.

Both are destroying their bodies through bad habits and addictions.

Fatness is absolutely being glamorized. I can't go a few days without another overweight girl sharing another meme on social media about how "curvy" women are sexy and thin women are not. We have crappy songs like "All About That Bass" which goes out of it's way to glamorize larger women. It's all a bunch of crap. Society doesn't tell me what I find attractive, my erection does.

Maybe we have different versions of glamourise, but a meme isn't glamourising, its a meme being shared. Thats it. Glamour is aspiration and I don't think too many aspire to be fat. The memes and songs are just a counter point to an obsession with youth and thinness.

Men and women are entitled to their preferences but to label another persons appearance as "disgusting" is melodramatic. I personally think both models are beautiful and as there is a whole spectrum of people in the world of all shapes, sizes and colours it is a nice change to see some of that reflected. I just read December Vogue - not a plus size model to be seen.

Australia is the second fattest country in the world behind the US and as we have a universal health care system the cost of obesity and chronic disease to the community is very, very real in dollar terms. It is so wide spreads that it is being managed as a public health issue. We know that finger pointing and fat shaming doesn't work and people don't loose weight. So it has to be approached differently.

The fitspo/clean living/ bondilyf glamorisation of "healthy living" is massive here. It sells a lot of crap you don't need and that doesn't work. Maybe its just a summer thing but doesn't seem to make a dint. We are a fat nation and getting fatter. I can't put it down to "not enough willpower" as it is more complex than that. At least in my experience.

• Like 2

I wouldn't compare their health to heroin addicts, but its not just where they are now, but where they are heading.

People get fat because they eat too much food and are sedentary. Maybe these models will never go beyond where they are now for how overweight they are, cause that's their money maker. Hell, maybe they'll even drop the fat and get all slim, but probably not because then they'd have a lot more competition for work. However, fat people usually get fatter. And then fatter still. Cause ....they eat too much food and expend very little physical effort. Its just going to keep getting worse.

When should fat people be made to feel like...maybe they should try to get in shape? I am all for being fair with anyone I meet, but I don't think myself shallow to not want to date a fat girl no matter her personality. Should we pretend to be attracted or feel bad if we're not?

Recovering from being a couple pounds overweight is a whole lot easier than getting so obese that you get diabetes and have heart problems. Not to mention stretch your skin to the point of no return. Most women or men that are as fat as these models will get fatter still. When should they feel that it's not good? When they get so morbidly obese that they can no longer fool themselves and even the "nice" people that were blowing sunshine up their ass way back when the issue was unmeasurably easier to deal with start to say that they should lose weight?

• Like 1
I

When should they feel that it's not good? When they get so morbidly obese that they can no longer fool themselves and even the "nice" people that were blowing sunshine up their ass way back when the issue was unmeasurably easier to deal with start to say that they should lose weight?

The fallacy with this thinking it is works on an assumption that fat people don't know that they are indeed overweight. Which is very, very rarely the case. Sure everyone will have an anecdote but overwhelmingly people who are fat - know it. They may not talk about it with you (or anyone else).

We know buckets about the psychology and success factors in weight loss (and by this I mean the literature, not a diet book) and shaming usually fuels the self loathing cycle rather than breaks it.

So I would question this link between feeling bad; realisation of fattage; spring into action to reduce fattage. Feeling bad usually supports self-sabotaging behaviours rather than curbing them.

And I don't think other people going hey! Loose weight fatso is motivation either. At least not in my experience. Some people deflect, others get angry and blame other people, lots of different reactions. Doesn't mean the advice will be taken on board.

Shaming doesn't work.

• Like 4

I have to wonder why someone would get so affected by seeing someone else that they consider overweight.

No one is forcing you to date them or even be friends with them.

Do you feel so crappy about yourself that you shame fat people to make them feel even worse about themselves than they already are?

• Like 4
Fatness is absolutely being glamorized. I can't go a few days without another overweight girl sharing another meme on social media about how "curvy" women are sexy and thin women are not. We have crappy songs like "All About That Bass" which goes out of it's way to glamorize larger women. It's all a bunch of crap. Society doesn't tell me what I find attractive, my erection does.

Because they look better.

Being overweight, which the models being discussed here are, is unhealthy. No way around that.

RE: bolded I absolutely agree with you there. And we've seen here that some men find these models attractive.

Weight is not the only factor in health - especially at the weight of the models in the OP.

For all you know, they do up to 10 hours of physical activity and are in perfect health - according to their physicians (cause they would know far better than you and nofeelings22 what their actual health is like)

Those fat ladies in the first post are indeed quite unhealthy. Ask a physician.

They will develop severe health problems soon. Not as soon as a heroin user, but steadily they will develop hypertension, diabetes, joint problems, etc... and all because they are too lazy to live a healthy lifestyle.

The comparison to herion users is dramatic, but apt.

Both are destroying their bodies through bad habits and addictions.

Everybody has their preferences and that's great but to claim it is about health is laughable at best. Let's face it, this is about what sexually turns people on not how their lungs and kidneys function. If health is such a concern, I assume you date people who never drink alcohol, sodas, coffee, have never smoked cigarettes or weed, have a 100% organic vegan diet and don't use any products containing chemicals on either themselves or in their home? Come on. This isn't about health, it's about sexual preference. Own that.

Edited by CALOVELY
  • Like 6
I have to wonder why someone would get so affected by seeing someone else that they consider overweight.

No one is forcing you to date them or even be friends with them.

Do you feel so crappy about yourself that you shame fat people to make them feel even worse about themselves than they already are?

Generally I agree with what you're saying. On this occasion these photos are deliberately intended to provoke (well to "prove a point" according to the subheadline of the article) and this thread practically invites people to express an opinion.

I don't normally see near-naked people smeared in paint in my day-to-day life, but seeing overweight people (and underweight etc) is unremarkable in a normal setting.

Lernaean_Hydra
Generally I agree with what you're saying. On this occasion these photos are deliberately intended to provoke (well to "prove a point" according to the subheadline of the article) and this thread practically invites people to express an opinion.

I don't normally see near-naked people smeared in paint in my day-to-day life, but seeing overweight people (and underweight etc) is unremarkable in a normal setting.

I agree, mostly, however being invited to comment or express an opinion is one thing, the outright derision is something else entirely. And I think Mal's comment was more in reaction to the general attitudes here rather than just on this thread alone.

Anyway, the real issue I have with images like the ones in the article and the message they're apparently trying to send is that it's a flipping lie and one that is largely useless. If the message is "You can be beautiful at any size!" the kilo of makeup and 100 manhours of airbrushing immediately contradict that.

• Like 4
most_distant_galaxy

Plus models sizes vary. For me, the ideal body is a fit body with some fat on it. Not too much fat, but some fat for softness. My favourite model body is Crystal Renn when she is plus size.

Crystal Remm in plus

photo

photo

photo

photo

and 0 size.

photo

photo

photo

In the last photo her body is perfect, but it doesn't suit her. Look at her face.

I've been underweight while working out very often, but I wasn't healthy. I didn't look good and I was missing periods. I ate too little. My natural tendency is to be relatively chunky. Now, I still workout (I jump rope for 30 minutes several times a week + yoga), but because I have a healthy appetite and because I select healthy foods with many nutrients I'm not thin. Also, my skin glows, my hair is fuller, my boobs are bigger. And if some cellulite comes with these benefits, then so be it. After all, I can't help it if my body stores fat right under the skin. I feel nice, I feel healthy, and attractive, and these feelings come without too much internal effort. I don't complain.