Tips for Entry Level Admin

She is better than me at academic writing. An area I despise, having to reference every sentence. Math, science, and problem solving is 100% more interesting to me than spending 2 hours referencing an essay that you have already written, or throughout the writing process.

I hate to break this to you, Leigh, but I have two science-related degrees, and both of them absolutely involved writing reports/essays (with references!).

And if you're planning on going to grad school after? Don't even get me started. Most grad students use apps for referencing due to the sheer quantity of writing that they need to do. ;)

• Like 2

Let's make sure the posts in this thread are helpful to the thread starter rather than demeaning please.

Thanks

• Like 2
  • Author
It's hard to believe Leigh doesn't like writing essays.

I dont mind essays but I just wouldn't like an entire degree based on essays. I need some science mixed in.

• Author
It is offensive though, and my final exit grade (we don't actually use ATAR in QLD) is not even slightly reflective of my abilities. Which is actually the case with most people I know.

I got somewhere in the late 60's because I only did about half of my assignments, and stopped studying completely.

Even with my low score, I got straight into University and completed a double degree in psychology and biology. Then I got into honours for psychology because I had a really high GPA. Finally, last year I got accepted into a clinical doctoral programme for psychology at one of the best universities in Australia. It is one of the most competetive postgraduate courses to get accepted into, along with med school. My uni only accepted the top 5% of applicants.

The point is Leigh, high school exit marks don't mean squat. It's what you do after high school that matters. I think the only reason you keep parroting that 92 like it means a damn is because you have no subsequent achievements. Lord knows, we wouldn't want you to lose that inflated sense of ego.

Or maybe I should just drop out of my DPsych and redo the HSC :rolleyes:

My 92 does mean a damn thanks. It is not the same as getting high distinctions in uni but it IS still worth something.

92 certainly isn't nothing.

I never insulted you. I said that if you were to try your best and study all day every day then yes, late 60's is bad for someone who tries their best with no distractions as you had.

You clearly could have done much better.

My 92 does mean a damn thanks. It is not the same as getting high distinctions in uni but it IS still worth something.

92 certainly isn't nothing.

I never insulted you. I said that if you were to try your best and study all day every day then yes, late 60's is bad for someone who tries their best with no distractions as you had.

You clearly could have done much better.

But she's doing just fine now, more than fine. As people have said, it's what you DO with what you've got that makes one accomplished.

Her numbers back then don't matter one bit now.

• Like 5
  • Author
Look, if you want to understand where other people's reactions are coming from, go back and read some of your threads from the past year.

You're now referring to what you did before as looking after "stupid kids," whereas not too long ago, you were going on about how much you loved working with children and how much you thought you were going to enjoy doing it while studying.

Complete 180 from just a few weeks ago. That's exactly why I think you'd benefit from having someone who you can run your ideas by, face-to-face, in real time, so that you stop this prevaricating and start focusing instead of already counting all the money you'll have in the bank 4 years from now. You're on step 8 and planning your move from 496 to 497 instead of making sure you don't trip on your way to step 9. It's not helping you.

Since you insist you don't need any help, that's the last I'll say on the subject. I hope you get to where you want to go no matter what you decide to do.

Look I know without a doubt that podiatry is the right degree for me.

I need a degree that is in my area of interest and also has a high rate of employment.

There isn't anything else I am suited to thanks.

I know a lot about various careers and I know the areas that interest me.

Admin seems like the best option for me to earn some money whilst studying.

I should know by now the jobs I do and do not enjoy given I have tried out all the typical student jobs.

I have been assessed my a therapist and various recruiters who work for the government. They all point to science, medical or math degrees and secretary work.

My family and friends say a medical based degree, a specific one like podiatry or physiotherapy, would be ideal for me.

Podiatry and admin while I study podiatry are by far the best options.

• Author
But she's doing just fine now, more than fine. As people have said, it's what you DO with what you've got that makes one accomplished.

Her numbers back then don't matter one bit now.

Well I still think it's rude to say that my efforts in going back to school and getting in the top nine % in the country are " nothing "

I believe they are an indicator that I may have good potential.

They are not nothing.

• Author

I dont have an inflated ego....

I simply think I have a lot going for me if I work hard. How is that having a big ego?

How is thinking that I am just as smart as my friend having a too much of an ego?

What is so bad about me being positive that I have a bright future ahead of me?????

There is absolutely nothing wrong with being positive about the future but there is something wrong if you express that by saying how you are so much smarter than your friend. That smacks of jealousy that she has achieved what you want yet she is only 22. You should be pleased for her and hope to do as well as her, not make it sound as if she got there in part because she is physically more attractive (which is something you have alluded to).

You also need to slow down in your posting here Leigh. Read what people have ACTUALLY posted and respond to that, not jumping in and responding to what you THINK they have said. This will be a critical skill for you in your future studies and career. This is something you do repeatedly to posters (you have done it to me in this thread more than once). There seem to be some things you feel very sensitive about and even when nobody has made any comment on those things, you respond as if they have.

As for the spelling and grammar, sorry Leigh but your school results may be great but on here you do mess things up. It is made to look even worse when you continue to make the same mistakes even when pointed out (bellow being a good example). For both studies and career, you would be doing yourself a huge favour I'd you started to proof read all your writing, including posts on LS, plus work on being more concise.

• Like 6
Well I still think it's rude to say that my efforts in going back to school and getting in the top nine % in the country are " nothing "

Who said that? Show me.

Curses! Made a typo when talking about proof reading and now too late to edit :laugh:

It should read "if you started to proof read"

Kizmet Fisher

I believe they are an indicator that I may have good potential.

They are not nothing.

Why exactly have you used inverted commas around the word nothing? No one even said that..

I swear that about half the posts in your threads are you defending accusations that were never actually made.

• Like 2

My advice is for you to discuss this with your therapist.

Or with a close friend who is candid.

Despite many posters' attempts to explain how your comments are offensive or inappropriate, it still seems difficult for you to comprehend.

Unknowingly, you could be saying things during your interviews that put others off. And you have no idea.

For instance, that nattily-dressed professional interviewing you, could have--like Deb--a mother who did and enjoyed food service.

Should you let one of your disparaging remarks slip, it's likely over.

Employers vet for interpersonal skills as well as the practical.

It would be in your best professional interest to have a talk with someone about posters' reactions to the things you've expressed here.

Perhaps s/he will have more success in explaining it.

• Like 10

Cerri's idea is great. I would take it so far as to take this thread to your therapist. Give her all the time in the world to read and reread it.

I think she'll make a lot of headway by doing so.

• Like 7
  • Author

I never said I was more intelligent than my friend. I said I didn't believe she was any better than me.

I had a successful career as a late teen. I believe my years of work in personal training when I did very well for myself, as well as modelling as a teen, point to hard work that is commensurate to a college degree. She studied for three years, I worked for the same timeframe.

I respect people who work/study/or volunteer for worthy courses the same - I do not place a higher value on one particular achievement over the other. I would, however, say a person had achieved more than me if they had a PHD or masters since it points to years more study and work than I have put in.

How is a college degree seen as any "better" than having worked and achieved good results? I don't understand.

I just see my friend and I as the same sort of people, I don't aspire to be like or, nor her me; we both have equally attractive qualities and attributes. I don't look up to her as though she is " so much more successful than me".

How is a college degree seen as any "better" than having worked and achieved good results? I don't understand.

No one is saying this Leigh, you are the one who talks of the achievement and social status associated with degrees. About how your family members are doctors with high ATARs. You are the only one in this discussion equating this with intelligence.

Everyone else is telling you to stop making comparisons and find your own path, without the need to declare yourself "more academic" or more anything than your friends.

• Like 2
  • Author
Cerri's idea is great. I would take it so far as to take this thread to your therapist. Give her all the time in the world to read and reread it.

I think she'll make a lot of headway by doing so.

My therapist thinks I am on the right track with going to college, doing a degree that has great rates of employment among new grads, and is in an area of interest to me.

She thinks I need to focus on gaining employment between now and college.

I will show her the conversations if it will help bit it reads to me like you are all telling me my friend is much better than me and more respectable JUST because she has a degree, and that my high entrance score means nothing.

I defend myself because I believe I am talented and intelligent in SOME ways, and have a bright future ahead.

I enjoy writing but I wouldn't do a degree entirely based on essays.

I don't want to

• Author
No one is saying this Leigh, you are the one who talks of the achievement and social status associated with degrees. About how your family members are doctors with high ATARs. You are the only one in this discussion equating this with intelligence.

Everyone else is telling you to stop making comparisons and find your own path, without the need to declare yourself "more academic" or more anything than your friends.

She is better at me in some areas as I am more talented at her in other areas.

I don't really believe in being better or worse than anyone else. Unless you are a rapist or murderer with no empathy or care towards other people or animals; then you are rotten.

I will show her the conversations if it will help bit it reads to me like you are all telling me my friend is much better than me and more respectable JUST because she has a degree, and that my high entrance score means nothing.

I think if your therapist read this, she would agree that NO ONE here has said your friend is better than you. And I asked you to show me where anyone said your score means nothing. Copy and paste it for me here, please.

• Like 1
  • Author

Next week I start 15 hours of work, in an admin role.

How long will I have to work for free before I eventually get a job?

I plan to turn up early, offer to do extra tasks, and just be fast and do a good job. To dress professionally and have impeccable grooming etc...

I start college in February 2015.

I wonder what my chances are of getting paid admin or reception based roles before that date?

I am doing a cert in admin/business too.

So far I have gotten an interview with the medical centre who wanted a medical receptionist. So if I already got an interview without the experience, fingers crossed I will get past the interview stage lol and actually get a job out of it sometime before college starts.

Lastly - the woman who is giving me the opportunity to work for free apparently has connections and would put me into a paid role if I impress her.

Has that ever happened to anyone? Unpaid work experience lead to a paid job?

Thanks in advance.

• Author

Should I still be applying for admin and reception work even though I have not yet completed the cert 3 in business admin, or started my unpaid work experience yet?

I have looked at online tutorials for excel and I have been shown in person how to use it.

I don't want to waste peoples time, in the job descriptions I do not bother applying at all if they request more than one year experience.

If they just say " we want someone who is computer literate, well spoken" and the like, I still apply to those jobs.....

Is it wrong for me to apply to these jobs when I have yet to start my unpaid work experience?

Should I wait until I have a month of unpaid experience under my belt before applying?

I think online tutorials plus the fact I already have a 100 wpm typing speed should be enough to consider me, if they like my drive and ambition to want to work the job, perhaps it is not wasting their time?

• Author

Does getting someone to use a stop watch and set it to one minute, an acceptable way to gauge your typing speed or WPM?

I had someone just use a stop watch lol.

I bet if it was scripted and I had to write a set document rathe than random sentences I made up, I would have gotten more like 80 WPM.

• Author

I look daily on seek.com for data entry, admin, office support and reception jobs.

A lot of them offer 50K a year or 25 - 30 K for part time. They don't ask for years of experience either, just enough experience to know how to handle yourself.

It seems like a really good option for a college student - and I have from now until college next year to get myself ready.

Even if I stay in the unpaid role, I will still be getting experience in the industry which will make it far more likely that I will land a paid job.

This all sounds really positive to me... that I may not have to wait until I graduate with a degree to earn some savings towards my future.

Admin/data entry and reception all sound like very viable career options during college since there are a LOT of jobs available in the industry and there are many part time and casual roles.

I wont work full time during college.

I wont work full time during college.

Then perhaps don't work full time now..

Get something part time so you can keep that when you start studying.. And not be in this position again in 6 months time.

Save yourself the stress :)

• Like 2