Tips for Entry Level Admin

• Author

At the bottom of their email is :

MINING AUSTRALIA

Martin Pl GPO Box 9957, Sydney, NSW 2001

VIC, SA, Melbourne: 03 8652 1446 - NSW, TAS, ACT, Sydney: 02 8015 5728

QLD, NT, Brisbane: 07 3053 8038 - WA, Perth: 08 6271 3011 - International: 61 3 8652 1446

The email looked professional and legit and I have known people with no skills going and getting jobs in remote areas and saving a sh*tload of money.

It could be a scam though because it is not supposed to be straight forward and easy to just get a highly paid job, even if it IS totally remote and long hours, it is just not feasible that anyone with low skills would ever get a high paid job.

I don't see relocating for 6 months before college as a bad thing I love adventure and would be thrilled to get experience and money before Uni, so I can then put that I have the admin experience on my resume, and have money in the bank.

However it is likely far too good to be true, any job that pays 50 or more K a year requires highly skilled individuals or people who lack education but are natural born sales people who can earn a mint.

God I hate scams like this that get your hopes up :(

• Author

Does it sound like they would actually get people a job if they paid their service fee?

Or are they just making big claims that they cannot back up. I doubt just anyone can walk into a mining job lol, you need training even for jobs like reception now days so why would the mining industry be any different?

Here's what we do for you:

• We will work out the most suitable way for you to get employed within the mining industry. This may include help with details on training, identifying the types of jobs suited to you, helping locate companies that may be able to meet your specific preferences (e.g. with regards to location, accommodation, pay, roles, training, etc).
  • All our clients have different backgrounds and requirements, and we will carefully consider this when determining your next best moves. It is important, in fact crucial, to bear in mind all the recommendations provided by us as this will markedly improve your employment prospects and help you get work.
  • The service will include the following, as well as answers to your specific questions on working, and getting work:
    - Finding the types of jobs suited to you
    - Providing details on any additional training you may need
    - Helping you avoid making common mistakes people frequently make along the way
    - Details on indicative salary figures so you get what you are worth
    - Everything you need to know about FIFO and DIDO jobs, and where to get them
    - If they suit you, details on entry level positions and how to get one
    - An explanation of the day to day operations and processes on the mine site, so you know your stuff. Knowledge is key to employment in the mining industry
    - Plus details on accommodation, dump truck driving roles, traineeships and apprenticeships, available positions, as well as all other additional support we provide to maximise your mining employment prospects
  • Our complete $214 service is based on your specific requirements, and we will work with you to help you secure work within the mining industry.

That does not sound as if you will automatically get a job Leigh. It just sounds as if they will identify your training needs (and NOT provide training) and tell you what jobs are out there (but not help you with applying for them)

• Like 1
  • Author

Eight months ago this was published in a forum:

Sorry to break the news to you guys, but, this article is misleading just to get false hopes up. there IS no work at the moment. The boom has busted severely, and jobs have literally decreased by 99% since 2007. Not just 10%. It is literally gone. I AM an experienced and highly qualified mining professional, 15 years behind me, and even we can not get jobs. Mines are closing everywhere. Redundancies everywhere. It's just the wrong time. It is literally 100 times harder now. Not impossible, but you would probably be better off buying a lotto ticket if you want to get rich. Also, mining does not pay more than the city wages, they just work you harder. You could just work 84 hour weeks in the city and earn the same amount. We work 84 hour weeks on the mines. Generally at $20 per hour. Unskilled laborers do not get paid more than this. Often it is at the minimum wage of $16/hr. Often they make you pay for your food and housing. It is NOT the easy money dream you have been sold. You can do just as well in the city.

I wonder how keen they are for entry level roles out there?

• Author

yeah I know, I just know of a girl with no education who managed to just go out to the mines and get work and earns a tone and travels the world every year. No offence to her but she is not well spoken so if she could just go and get a high paying job, it made it seem like just anyone who wants to work hard could too.

Now though I am not so sure that even the entry level mining jobs, like FIFO bar/cleaning work, is readily available.

• Author

backpackers for example?

Entry level or unskilled jobs, like trade assistants (TA's) or plant operators are hard to get now as every man and his dog are applying for them. The best way to get these jobs would be to move out to the little mining towns and live there and register with all the labour hire companies, there are hundreds of them.

Sounds like disgusting companies are still praying upon people who don't realise that it is difficult to even get entry level jobs in the mines. They take your money when they know you have a slim chance of actually getting work.

Not sure how such companies sleep at night, they should probably go and get a proper job that involves honest work and not misleading vulnerable people.

Rant.

Plenty of people I know are upset hat he standard of students have dropped.

NOW DAYS - you are aloud to be a stoner, not motivated, and just coasting through life with no real ambition to thrive in a given field, and yet BE ALLOUD INTO A DEGREE.

You do believe in second chances, don't you?

• Like 1
GorillaTheater
You do believe in second chances, don't you?

I don't know about you, but I was feeling a little defensive when she said that.

• Like 3

NOW DAYS - you are aloud to be a stoner, not motivated, and just coasting through life with no real ambition to thrive in a given field, and yet BE ALLOUD INTO A DEGREE.

I totally agree. They even let people into universities with atrocious grammar anymore. :(

What is the world coming to?

• Like 6
Kizmet Fisher
Australia has a low standard for people entering into Uni. I personally don't think people with a mark under 70% should be aloud in. You can always re sit the test/entrance exam!

Ridiculous, I know. It's almost as if they would accept applicants who don't know the difference between aloud or allowed.

Or that it's meant to be nowadays, not now days.

But what would me and my silly 60's ATAR know..

• Like 6
Sorry but I scored in the top eight percent in my country in 2010 for college entrance exam, I scored in the NINETIES.

My friend scored 72. And.she studied her ass.off for.that mark.

There is.absolutely no way she is smarter than me naturally.

She is more accomplished. Not smarter academically speaking.

More successful people financially are not necessarily smarter than us.

She is in no way worlds apart from me. The only thing she has is more perseverance.

And i do have direction. I know who I am.and what areas I wish to dedicate my time towards.

I am.focusing on a.medical discipline that has a high rate if employment.

I didn't say anything about who is smarter than who and I wasn't attempting to insult your intellect. I just said that you are at far different places in your life academically and real world (meaning professionally).

You are also 6 years in age apart so she has achieved more in her 22 years than you have in your 28. You shouldn't compare yourself to her.

You really would benefit from brushing up on spelling and grammar skills though, these are very important for admin roles as admin tends to involve communication unless you are only doing filing and copying.

I don't believe employers take college entrance exams into account when looking for qualifications. They will be much more interested in what you achieved while you were at college and the grades you got at the end of the course.

I'm getting the drift that you didn't end up going to college though.

Along the way here you have mentioned a couple of courses that you didn't finish.

It's hard to tell from that which you have posted if this were to do with the mental health issues you had or whether you just dropped out.

Your friend has not suffered a set back due to illness and appears to keep plugging away with her studies.

Longevity and sticking with something is important to an employer.

They have to spend time training you so you are a cost to the business in the first couple of weeks.

How did you decide on Podiatry?

Have you shadowed someone to see what it involves?

What is your passion for feet?

Ignore the mining thing right off the bat. They are an agency who want to charge.

• Like 1
  • Author
Ridiculous, I know. It's almost as if they would accept applicants who don't know the difference between aloud or allowed.

I dont have bellow average spelling and grammar.

Bellow average are the folks who cannot distinguish between there, their and they're or too and to.

I would know what bellow average is as my mum is an English teacher and they have rankings for bellow average.

I dont have bellow average spelling and grammar.

Bellow average are the folks who cannot distinguish between there, their and they're or too and to.

I would know what bellow average is as my mum is an English teacher and they have rankings for bellow average.

Rather than defending yourself, look back at what you type before you submit. It's going to be extremely important in business. While bellow is a word, spellcheck let it through. You can't rely solely on spellcheck.

• Like 3
  • Author

My friend graduated from a social science degree. I had setbacks in life and so now I'm going back to college to do podiatry a much harder degree than social science.

I don't consider her more successful than me. I was able to beat a mental illness and make the decision to get on with things and go to college.

I have also worked for years before, for more years than her college degree lasted for, and was good at my old job. I consider a personal trainer who was able to generate clients with no help to be just as successful as a social science grad..

Also a diploma in fitness is academically as hard as social science no offence.

Degrees like engineering, pharmacy or law are academically challenging. Social science is not.

My friend is awesome for finishing a degree but I definately don't think she is smarter than me or that she has more going for her than I do. A degree doesn't make her smarter than me.

If I had a spare 10 k I'd be a successful trainer again but without my start up costs covered ( 2000 l to pay immediately to a gym in order to train in it plus weekly instalments of 200) I cannot work in any gym. It costs money to be a personal trainer.

How is a degree more impressive than previously being in the workforce and being successful at a job?

I don't really appreciate comparisons and I don't think my friend is any better than me academically.

• Author
Rather than defending yourself, look back at what you type before you submit. It's going to be extremely important in business. While bellow is a word, spellcheck let it through. You can't rely solely on spellcheck.

Yeah well worry I don't give enough if a darn when I am on my smart phone typing audit is only love shack.

I DID get 87 out of 100 for English. Can you please explain why a bellow average in English woman could get 87/ 100 for written exams she had to write on the spot?

You do realise that thousands of mature aged as well as school aged Aussies sit that exam yearly and most of them get bellow a high distinction? Which is classified as 85 %?

Yes u should check spelling and grammar. The fact I don't on a website when I am on my smart phone doesn't make me bellow the Australian average.

Dunno Leigh,

I graduated at 22. I coasted into university with my last remaining clean T shirt. Spent 2 years avoiding lectures but attended seminars. Smoked quite a bit. Had quite a laugh. 3rd year put my head down, washed some clothes, took vitamins etc....

It is merely a discipline to show any employer that you can stick at something. I was never training to be a judge or doctor or any job where i really really had to know what i was doing.

I worked in a office for 3 hours and left. Not my thing. Although i did aquire a years emblazoned stationary. (The shame)

Good luck.

• Like 2
  • Author

No offence but you would have to really screw up academically to get 60.

Meaning you would have done terribly at the exams. To get into uni, you can redo the HSC. It takes six months.

Time management and poor study habits are why many students do badly. I consider 70 and bellow to be bad. Plenty of very smart people do badly in the HSC which sucks but I do believe they should have to re do it and get at least 72 or thereabouts to get into college.

I just don't find 60 out of 100 acceptable when it used to be only the top 15 % used to be alloud in to uni.

Yes my spelling and grammar are not the best when I type from a smart phone, but I am the one who was able to study effectively and do well.

Looks when I was at uni I met many people who just didnt have a clue how to study. I wonder why they want a degree. My ex makes a mint as a driver of trucks and other large machinery.. He also has truly bad grammar and spells hear instead of come here.

One gentlemen who is super sweet and lovely, he got 60 in his entrance exam and let me tell you, he struggles to merely pass. He studies as hard as those who get straight has just to pass a non demanding degree.

I wonder why he wants to be in college when the job market is competitive and you normally need good marks to get a job right out of college? Why not just pick a trade or diploma when he could earn the same as being a degree.holder?

I don't understand why non academic people wish to attend college I am not knocking them or calling them stupid.

Einstein performed poorly in school as you all know. Some minds just work differently. School was so easy for him he probably got too bored to focus. Or maybe he had a different way of processing information.. I hear he had autism of some sort.

I don't really think bad spelling and grammar when typing from a smart phone is indicative of low intelligence.

• Author
I totally agree. They even let people into universities with atrocious grammar anymore. :(

What is the world coming to?

I scored 87 for advanced English so I doubt I am worse than average.

What was your score? I guess since you are clearly trying to allude that you think I'm stupid, I a guessing you got in the high 90s?

Marks don't lie. Most people who score in the 99 are not stupid.

I am not stupid.

Terrible is when you cannot note the difference between there and their or too and to.

If you define my level of spelling and grammar terrible than I advise you to spend a day with people so are ill spoken and make such statements as " oh geez, them people are are so nice "

I don't appreciate you alluding to me being non academic and not intelligent.

In 2010 I proved that I am not academically dumb or below average and my marks deserve credit and respect, not ridicule.

How are you doing online cert courses without a computer? :confused:

How long will it take you to finish the cert 3 in admin that you are doing?

• Like 2

My degree falls into the Social science area. I recall it was pretty tough.

Every degree has its moments of `what the .... am i doing`, i guess.

Have you done a degree in social science Leigh? Just wondering seeing as you seem to know how easy it is.
  • Like 2
  • Author

Case in point. The guy I know of who is not academic is opting to accuse a massive debt in order to study social work. He barely passes in spite of studying like crazy. He is not dumb but he isnt academic which is what uni students should be to a high extent.

He could get a diploma in youth work, a diploma in community services or a whole host of other diplomas that would allow him to do the same jobs as social workers are able to do.

Case workers get 40 k. You don't need a degree to become one..a diploma would suffice.

A diploma holder with prior work or volunteering experience and some good work based references have the same change to earn the amount a graduate of social work earns.

Yet he doesn't know this and opted for a more expensive degree to earn the same income as he would have earn in getting a diploma which is less academically demanding and he could have made high credits in. I just don't understand why some people opt for college. receptionists get 40 k a year once they have a year or perhaps three of experience.

Vets in Australia get 40 k as graduate.. Pharmacists get 30 K a year fresh out of college.

It is a bit of a joke that my friend got 50 K out of uni doing a social science degree when students who passed and even did well in HARD degrees get far less than her, when they worked significantly harder than her?

College is a bit of a joke these days with some very difficult degrees yielding a very poor return.....

I picked podiatry because it is in an area I am interested in. I have always been interested anything health fitness, science and medical. I picked from the health and medical disciplines that hasn't best outcome. If I couldn't find a degree that didn't have a high incidence of getting new grads a job soon after graduating, and also paying decently enough to warrant to huge student loans..... I wouldn't go to university.

Some industries are dead and extremely oversaturated! It is at crisis point..many grads of law and in fact, I would venture to guess most of them, never find work as a lawyer and end up with bad salaries for years.

College is a huge risk. I believe I have picked wisely. I have a lot of doctors and health professionals in my family. The all did well academically, my family they all believe in avoiding degrees that have a high rate of unemployment and low wages. They think podiatry and a few select other fields are the only professions that aren't doomed for the foreseeable future.

In Aus, social science gradss can get paid more than pharmacy, most law and veterinary science grads. The college system is turning to crap. Trust me.

I am very happy with my decision to attend college.

• Author
Have you done a degree in social science Leigh? Just wondering seeing as you seem to know how easy it is.

I did six months of one..one semester. Sorry but it was easy..no hard math or science, no hardcore working out problems.

Look you cannot compare social science and arts degrees to engineering. You just can't. Engineering is more academically rigorous. I know many engineers and also social sciences grads.

My friend agreed that social science isn't an all consuming degree at all. Where as law or engineering are normally degrees that require way more study and are totally all consuming.

I found social science bored me to tears though. I hear law is even more boring lol.

My friend is interested in the corporate world and social science is a good degree for it. Not as solid as finance or law, but a good agree for someone who wants to earn a living dealing with people.

I was proud of my friend for graduating. I am not knocking her at all. I am pointing out that there are much harder degrees with grad who are earning lower paid jobs than her which I think unfair.

Social work was hard to do well in as they marked you very harshly. Social science was easy but like all degrees it requires perseverance in order to finish it.