Tips for Entry Level Admin

I am very confused Leigh. You are now saying that you would love to do entry level admin work yet just a few weeks ago you said this:

which sounds very critical of admin work. What has made you change your mind?

(And I know you are not talking of not doing podiatry so don't think I have assumed you are no longer planning to study).

Glad I wasn't the only one who noticed this..

I doubt they would want you to do a maths degree as there are more relevant qualifications. There are actually formal banking and treasury qualifications (well there certainly are here in the UK) which you should maybe check out to see whether they are of interest. Just remember though Leigh that a key part of progression in a company is the ability to write good, clear reports especially if presenting complex financial info. You may not like writing essays but that does not mean you can avoid writing.

I am still surprised that you are now talking of yet another different career path.

• Like 3

Troubleshooting/online assistance sounds like a call centre role to me.

That would likely be more to do with login problems or and general problems to do with personal or business banking online. General customer service but for problems they are having.

This would be less of a numbers role and more of a headset on and taking calls plus writing clear and detailed notes on customer accounts so that next time they call any member of the team will know the history next time that customer calls.

Jobs like that can be a very pressurised environment and you're the first point of contact for very rude and angry customers so staff turn over is usually pretty high.

I could be wrong on that but that is what it sounds like to me.

Good luck with the interview!

• Like 3

I also think it sounds like call centre work, but more than that - it sounds like that somewhat high salary might not be an actual salary but based on OTE (on target earnings). In other words, they're paying a basic, and if you hit high targets, you'll get the full amount. Make sure to ask them, because very often OTEs are inflated. You might even be required to sell, ie your "troubleshooting" might involve calling customers and getting them to stay with/come back to the bank.

• Like 3
  • Author
I also think it sounds like call centre work, but more than that - it sounds like that somewhat high salary might not be an actual salary but based on OTE (on target earnings). In other words, they're paying a basic, and if you hit high targets, you'll get the full amount. Make sure to ask them, because very often OTEs are inflated. You might even be required to sell, ie your "troubleshooting" might involve calling customers and getting them to stay with/come back to the bank.

No it is definately 50 K.

We don't get commissions.

It's 26 per hour from 8 am to 8 pm. Long hours = higher yearly salary.

It is with the call centre. I would like that in preference to dealing with customers in person. In hospitality and retail, I dealt with angry customers all the time. You have to always act like they are in their right snd empathise " sorry, I know this is unacceptable I also hated when I got locked out of my online account! But once I asked for help it was easier to understand "

I never adopt a tone where I'm telling them to lay off me...I am all apologies and trying to get to the bottom of the problem.

I am about to get ready and attend the text day.

It is not mostly a sales role. However, you do have to have excellent product knowledge and to then offer them a service of the banks if we believe it can benefit them. We don't make commission nor do we get fired for not managing to upsel l. We just get bonuses in our pay checks and promoted if we earn the bank more money.

I've had to do light sales before. In retail. I have used my outstanding product knowledge and my listening skills to inform customers of products my old china and glassware company had. I've it's resulted in people buying more than they intended.

Whatever it is, for 50k per year I will willing to sell my grandmother for th us opportunity to get of benefits and finally get to lead a normal life.

As for future studies, I prefer anything to dingity numbers and problem solving over purely essay driven or humanities degrees. I don't mind writing reports though.

• Author

I have another interview after in my local area. The 50k job is 1.2 hours away via train. Then I have the next interview to be an admin trainee for about 20 a year but I don't have to travel far to work.

So 1.2 hours is 72 mins commute twice a day as well as a 12 hour working day?

Half an hour to get up and dressed and you would be left with 9 hours.

I'm guessing you don't sleep much.

I can't see how you'd fit any studies into that time span.

• Author
So 1.2 hours is 72 mins commute twice a day as well as a 12 hour working day?

Half an hour to get up and dressed and you would be left with 9 hours.

I'm guessing you don't sleep much.

I can't see how you'd fit any studies into that time span.

It is a 38 hour week I have been told and we get paid over time if it is required.

She said 8 until 8 though. At 26 per hour.AUD.

I would like to get experience with such a well known company, earn 100 k minimum, so two years working there, and then I'd likely either inquire about moving up in the company or I'd go to university.

I am still not sure I am comfortably forgoing college next year as getting a degree in either the science,. Medical or anything math related is a dream of mine. I have always known I'd get a degree.

At the same time, I am at an age where I need the experience and money since my partner and I would like to have a family, and then I'd think about my college studies once I was in the position to get a casual or part time admin job ( which will be easier to get once I gain experience in one of Australia's biggest banks), and then go to uni..

Out of this job I would gain: immense self esteem from getting of welfare, personal fulfilment from getting up to work everyday, money for a future, experience, and a fantastic referee or two.

Once I got those things, at least I'd be in the position to support myself during uni rather than depending on government hand outs like going students typically have to since they don't have the means to put themselves through uni

Holy cow though, my friend who was recently given this position that ibam going for is about to start an online masters degree. She will have such little time to do it and will have to do it on the train to work.

• Author

Sigh. Well if I don't get this job, another will come up.

I would still be very happy to study podiatry next year at uni :)

I do want this job very badly as it is such a good opportunity for someone like me. The best people woke at that bank and I'd stand to learn a lot and develop professional skills. It would change my life earning a proper albeit not any high, income.

On the other hand, I am being kind to myself. If i dont get this I can look for casual or part time local work whilst I study podiatry next year.

It wouldn't be the end of the world at all if I don't get this job.

I have another interview that is in my local area later lol so I will be interviewed out by the end of the day.

My poor kitten will be left alone all day. I hope she doesn't go too crazy :/

8 to 8 suggests 11hours working but that doesn't tie in with a 38 hour week. How many days a week have they said you would have to do?

• Author
8 to 8 suggests 11hours working but that doesn't tie in with a 38 hour week. How many days a week have they said you would have to do?

Everyone who is set to be interviewed look so professional.

I'm talking with a friendly American to ease my nerves. He would be great to work with.

These are three types of people who would be fantastic to work with - working with the best people would provide such a great opportunity for me.

I am too nervous to answer any more questions sorry I'll get back to this thread in two days time when I find out whether or not I'm successful.

All I know is there is a set salary of 50k and sales isn't a mainstay of the job. Troubleshooting is.

I think you will find it will be shift work. With probably two shifts. One staring at 8, the other at midday. Will you be ok commuting home after 8pm at night? Gonna be an early start to get there by 8am!

I don't think you will be needing too much maths or actuarial skills though.

• Like 2
  • Author

It is shift work on a rotating roster from 8am to 8 pm.

I did.well in the interview part and the class presentation but I was bad at the tests although I was told that the interview seals it and they don't expect you to be able to do the job before we are taught.

I will be surprised if I get it because the standard of applicants was incredibly high.

They raved about how they shirt listed our resumes out of thousands so we should all be thrilled to have gotten that far.

It was such a nice team it would be the best thing in the world if I got it, however, there were applicants with a lot more professional skills than me so I doubt I got it.

Then again, my friend who got the job has a degree yet has never worked and she got the job due to her volunteer work and ambition.

• Author

Anyway, on my way to the next interview. Then I have another interview tomorrow.

The Thursday is unpaid work experience.

My friend is a lot more desirable than me so I doubt I did get the bank job that she was able to secure. It will be an absolute shock if I do get it. I do think I am a ideal candidate for the role as I am ambitious and driven to succeed and I have such a desire to work at that particular company. It'd change my life. I hope they picked me due to the fact that I am so driven to succeed in the role.

I seriously hope I get one of the three jobs I'm going for this week. Or else,. I need to learn how to be as professionally desirable as my friend who got the very first job she ever applied for.

I seriously hope I get one of the three jobs I'm going for this week. Or else,. I need to learn how to be as professionally desirable as my friend who got the very first job she ever applied for.

If I'm reading right, your friend has a degree. That makes her professionally desirable. If she's done volunteer work, stuck with it for a decent length of time, and has the references to prove her worth to the cause, it's every bit as good as having held a paying job.

So it's not a shock that she was rewarded with a great employment opportunity. It sounds like she had her ducks in a row, as some people say. :confused:

50k NET? I know you are talking AUD but 50k net is extremely good money for someone with no experience. What is the gross salary and what kind of troubleshooting is it? You should have a good idea of what is involved after the interview?

• Like 1
  • Author
If I'm reading right, your friend has a degree. That makes her professionally desirable. If she's done volunteer work, stuck with it for a decent length of time, and has the references to prove her worth to the cause, it's every bit as good as having held a paying job.

So it's not a shock that she was rewarded with a great employment opportunity. It sounds like she had her ducks in a row, as some people say. :confused:

Yet I got straight high distinctions throughout high school and Uni and she got bad marks, and I also volunteer and have stuck with it for a year so far.

Not to mention my prior experience in the workforce which she had none.

She is amore desirable person than me in general, in her demeanour and appearance. But I am not far off, I dress well and am relatively well spoken.

I deserve this opportunity every bit as much as she does. I am 28 and frankly need the money more than her. Not getting money from a job in the next year or two means I wont be able to have children where as she has a rich partner and she is only 22.

• Author
50k NET? I know you are talking AUD but 50k net is extremely good money for someone with no experience. What is the gross salary and what kind of troubleshooting is it? You should have a good idea of what is involved after the interview?

I do have experience in the workforce, I was only mentally ill for a few years, I have worked before and have plenty of experience and good references.

She has volunteered (my friend) and also has two great references from volunteering plus she has a degree.

Where as I have more work related experience, have volunteered for a shorter amount of time than she has, have good references too, yet I LACK A DEGREE.

Plus she is a more desirable person than me physically.

People in the interview had masters and bachelors degrees and 20 years of experience. We got picked out of thousands of applicants.

They are looking for people who's personality they believe will excel in the role. My mate is just out of college and is super keen to establish herself.

She was an IDEAL candidate as she didn't have ten plus years of experience as per the other candidates and she was hungry to get into the professional workforce. Young, driven and excited about the bank.

I also had the same outlook as my friend; very driven to work at the bank.

50K is average money in AUS.

I will be starting on 55 - 60K as a podiatrist in three years time (I am not holding my breath as to getting the position).

My friend was told after securing the interview that she can earn 100K in less than 5 years so by the time I graduate I will earn 60 ish K and she will be on 100K lol.

On a positive note, I am looking very forward to studying and I never set out to get a full time role, I have been looking purely for part time or casual work!

I just couldn't pass this opportunity up though! Once it has been confirmed that I was not successful, I will be looking strictly for part time and casual work that I can do during Uni.

I am very excited about podiatry as my biggest achievement was my academic results in school.

This bank job just.. was thrown at me, a bit of a detour as to what I thought I would be offered.

• Author

When I say she is more desirable from a recruitment perspective, I mean that she is softly spoken, pleasant, the opposite of overbearing, quiet yet able to communicate effectively. She is just very pleasant.

I am also quiet ish but a little less desirable than her; she is better looking, tall, and more pleasant to talk to, just her professional deep sounding voice, and her very reserved yet friendly nature.

I cannot explain it she is just a very pleasant person. I also like that I am fairly quiet and not overbearing but yeah. Some people "just are" more desirable than others. Not much can be done :)

I would like to get experience with such a well known company, earn 100 k minimum, so two years working there, and then I'd likely either inquire about moving up in the company or I'd go to university.

I'm a bit bemused. Are you thinking you will have 100K in the bank at the end of two years?

You will be taxed on paid work so the salary they are stating is gross, not net.

Where will your living expenses and travel expenses be coming from?

Saving is great if you can but at the end of two years you are very unlikely to have all of your earned salary sitting in the bank for uni.

The role is going to be better paid than some other roles within the bank due to the type of work it is and inconvenient hours. Call centres are high on stress so people don't tend to stay in the role for long due to burn out. To move on to a different role with more regular hours you may need to take a drop in salary.

I'm also confused that you've said your friend doesn't have a degree and that you now say she does. I take it she is working on a second degree?

• Like 3
  • Author
I'm a bit bemused. Are you thinking you will have 100K in the bank at the end of two years?

You will be taxed on paid work so the salary they are stating is gross, not net.

Where will your living expenses and travel expenses be coming from?

Saving is great if you can but at the end of two years you are very unlikely to have all of your earned salary sitting in the bank for uni.

The role is going to be better paid than some other roles within the bank due to the type of work it is and inconvenient hours. Call centres are high on stress so people don't tend to stay in the role for long due to burn out. To move on to a different role with more regular hours you may need to take a drop in salary.

I'm also confused that you've said your friend doesn't have a degree and that you now say she does. I take it she is working on a second degree?

To clarify,

My friend recently graduated from social science. She is a very desirable person by all means. She is just very pleasant to be around.

She is really ambitious and driven which is nice. I am too, so I enjoy having her as a friend for this reason, I enjoy people who are working towards worthwhile things in life.

She is NOW doing a masters in HR online.

I got better academic marks than her so although she has shown more perseverance than me and stuck to something for longer, I do have the raw ingredients to not only do what she did, but get better marks lol.

When I study, I am hardcore and achieve fantastic results because I grew up in a family with a very high standard and I also read up on effective study tips.

So I HOPE my study habits demonstrate my work ethic to some degree.

The recruiters asked me what I was most proud of, and I said: besides the positive results I have achieved in customer care (which I demonstrated), I am most proud of the fact I went back and enrolled in "the course" that would get me into college, and got straight High D's; after leaving school early to enter into the workforce, it meant a lot to me to further my education and get a degree.

They liked the fact I was ambitious and highly regarded college level study, and they also appreciated that I was so passionate about their company that I was willing to put the degree on hold in order to pursue the opportunity to develop professionally provided within their company.

They suggested that they would encourage me to further my educated down the track if I was successful, in an area that would compliment my role at the bank. Which I whole heartedly agreed with, suggesting a few related degrees.

• Author

It is 50K. And it is not for people with no experience.

All candidates had degrees, outstanding experience or both.

I had a good amount of experience albeit in different industries.

I talked about my recent exams I took to get into college and the high marks I managed to achieve, so they knew I was also of a high quality, in spite of my lack of "degree".

I didn't rave about my marks at all, I just made them aware that yes I was academic, as much as the candidates with degrees.

To answer your other question? Yes my friend did deserve the job big time. She is very pleasant and desirable.

• Author

It wasn't my academic marks or .. the stereotypical stuff that impressed them about me.

The thing they most seemed to like was the fact that I volunteered with a suicide prevention hotline and also working with children and older Australians.

Given my lack of degree I suppose they seemed to regard it as much as any academic achievement.

I didn't expect them to be impressed since everyone had masters/or degrees and yet I didn't.