Tips for Entry Level Admin

• Author

I sent a professionally written thankyou letter.

Are thankyou letters good? I heard they were by many recruiters.

Don't worry I ran spell check lol.

I said that it was a delight to have the opportunity to learn from staff of such a high calibre.

The staff were all very very nice, they didn't strike me as folks who would be like " wtf is she doing" regarding a thankyou email.

• Like 1
todreaminblue
I sent a professionally written thankyou letter.

Are thankyou letters good? I heard they were by many recruiters.

Don't worry I ran spell check lol.

I said that it was a delight to have the opportunity to learn from staff of such a high calibre.

The staff were all very very nice, they didn't strike me as folks who would be like " wtf is she doing" regarding a thankyou email.

what did you learn from the staff leigh?...deb

• Author
what did you learn from the staff leigh?...deb

The way they went about the induction was fantastic. They were all very well matched for their roles, very approachable, friendly yet professional.

I learned how to effectively deal with people, since their method proved to be something that I responded well to. I was not that nervous in the actual interview because of their professional yet laid back approach.

If I ever get up in the ranks I will employ a lot of strategies (that relaxed the group and spread positivity) and adopt their attitudes.

todreaminblue
The way they went about the induction was fantastic. They were all very well matched for their roles, very approachable, friendly yet professional.

I learned how to effectively deal with people, since their method proved to be something that I responded well to. I was not that nervous in the actual interview because of their professional yet laid back approach.

If I ever get up in the ranks I will employ a lot of strategies (that relaxed the group and spread positivity) and adopt their attitudes.

I am glad they were nice to you leigh and that you felt relaxed during your interview, i hope it all goes well for you....deb

• Like 1
  • Author
I am glad they were nice to you leigh and that you felt relaxed during your interview, i hope it all goes well for you....deb

Hi, thanks very much.

I highly doubt I got the job so I it would feel like a lottery win. I am certainly not expecting it and I am ready for podiatry next year. I am not even factoring in much of a possibility that I have anything else on the agenda.

• Like 1

I never asked whether your friend deserved the job. I never mentioned her at all.

I asked whether the job was 50k net or 50k gross as there is a big difference and the former would be a lot for someone with no experience in that area. I also asked what kind of troubleshooting you would be doing.

• Like 1
8 to 8 suggests 11hours working but that doesn't tie in with a 38 hour week. How many days a week have they said you would have to do?

Yep....

Leigh, I really hope that this doesn't turn out to be another case of miscommunication or misunderstanding, like the nanny job that involves 'light child care for a couple hours a day'. If they do give you the job I strongly urge you to actually talk to them first about the hours, schedule, expectations, the exact sort of work you will be doing (troubleshooting about what?) etc, instead of going into it blind and then resigning halfway through.

Yes, bear in mind that no recruiter advertises net salary, because people have differing deductions. It will be gross. So you can knock around a quarter of that off - still good money, but it will not be 50k in your pocket.

• Like 1

Oh yeah,it is will be gross and minimum of 30% tax

The other thing to consider is just how much to costs to go to work. I am entirely home based now so rather like Linda Evangelista - someone else pays me to leave the house! What really struck me is the money I don't spend. I don't buy train tickets, lunch, coffee, muffins or any of the other incidentals.

Going to work is really expensive!

• Like 1
  • Author

I had a talk to my dad.

My parents are very proud of me that I got picked out of thousands of applicants for a leading bank. This bank is renowned for being very picky with their applicants.

I have been depressed not working. I have a brain and cannot stand not working. I have a lot of drive and energy and it gets too much for me occasionally when yet another frie3nd gets a job, when I am more academic than them and just as driven.

My dad told me that he believes I am talented at things that pertain to physiotherapy, podiatry, exercise physiology. Things I have always been into.

He is glad that I likely didn't get into the job as he DID NOT want me to drop Uni.

LOL.

SO yeah my parents were really wanting me to start the degree next semester as they believe I will be talented and successful in the medical field (podiatry).

They were happy that I am striving to get into the workforce and help them help me.

They explained that I have no need to be so desperate to get higher paying roles, that they simply want me to do college and do well in a field they highly regard and believe I will be successful in.

I have been crying a lot of today because I just got to a breaking point surrounding not being employed in more than casual work (events).

It upset me how my 22 year old friend is getting the 50K job when I did better than her in school; yet I suppose she did the hard yards with a degree and all so she likely deserves the job more than me. It didn't exactly fall into her lap, she studied for three years with no money really.....

I suppose good things come to those who wait. I'll just have to actually finish this degree and then good things will come my way if I remain active in volunteer work, and get casual/part time admin work.

I was really winging it today with a bunch of people who had either studied and worked much longer than I had. The recruiters simply ... noticed me because of my drive and ambition. I was the wild card of the lot.

Regardless of the outcome, going on interviews is good for you. You get to see what the competition is, and maybe even pick up some tips from others in the process.

You can't possibly be upset with a friend who had a degree AT 22; get over it and give her the credit she deserves. She obviously worked hard for it. At this point, how well you did in high school doesn't matter, and shouldn't even be brought up in an interview - it reeks of 'grasping at straws', as does bringing up your college entrance marks. No one cares about them if you haven't gone on to use those marks to further your education. If I brought up that I was valedictorian of my high school class, eyes would roll. Plenty of people who graduated with lesser distinctions have done better than me, through hard work and perseverance.

So, you're running a little behind. You'll make up for it, and your day will come. Patience!

• Like 8
  • Author
Regardless of the outcome, going on interviews is good for you. You get to see what the competition is, and maybe even pick up some tips from others in the process.

You can't possibly be upset with a friend who had a degree AT 22; get over it and give her the credit she deserves. She obviously worked hard for it. At this point, how well you did in high school doesn't matter, and shouldn't even be brought up in an interview - it reeks of 'grasping at straws', as does bringing up your college entrance marks. No one cares about them if you haven't gone on to use those marks to further your education. If I brought up that I was valedictorian of my high school class, eyes would roll. Plenty of people who graduated with lesser distinctions have done better than me, through hard work and perseverance.

So, you're running a little behind. You'll make up for it, and your day will come. Patience!

I'm not upset with my friend. I just don't think she has anymore going for herself than I do when it comes to intellect. I believe I am as smart as her and that I have just as much chance at succeeding as she does.

My time to shine will be when I put the hard work on and also graduate. Then I have a very fare shot at getting a very decent job. The outlook for podiatry is fantastic when compared to other health professionals.

I feel really positive about my goal of graduating from my carefully selected degree while I do admin entry level work to generate a small income.

I don't expect to earn 50 K like my my friend. She worked harder for it than I have and my time will come a little later.

I was enticed by the money but honestly, I am much better suited to studying a degree.

My parents are very happy that I even made it to the final round at one of the biggest banks.

I believe that I have great potential to get work when I graduate college because my resume is already at a stage where decent companies have started at least taking note.

With a degree under my belt like my friend has it would be more fitting for me to then earn as she does.

My friend is doing an HR masters. She is very driven by the corporate world and wants to climb the corporate ladder. Where as I just wanted the money and experience from working at such a renowned company.

She was absolutely passionate about the positions provided within the company... Where as I found the work exciting but still feel the need to study before arriving at my final destination.

She is lucky in that in a year or two she will likely be promoted to HR and earning 100k when I will be at college with a couple days a week entry level admin work. How will she expect me to go out for dinner with her when she earns so much?

It's not that I'm angry at my friend at all I just don't believe that shes any more talented or intelligent than I am. Which frustrats me since I know if I didn't have set backs in life, that I'd be where she is since I am just as academically inclined as she is.

Edited by Leigh 87
  • Author

For me, admin entry level stuff is my pick out of all the jobs I was to do during college.. So not my dream career. Just the best I have to pick from and that compliments my studies ( admin requires good organisational skills and improved your rate of typing).

I have no aspiration to work in the corporate world unless it was through something hardcore such as actural studies. Where as my friend most wants to get into HR and recruit people, and just deal with people on the corporate world.

I am pretty much the polar opposite to my friend. I need to be either very technical or very hands on: things like podiatry, physiotherapy, or very theory heavy areas like pharmacy, actural studies or engineering ( if I had my time over again to develop math skills beyond that of a year ten). Medical imaging, occupational therapy and dietetics also appeal.

My friend list of degrees that would best reflect her interest are: business or human resource management. She hates math and science and is desperate to just work in an office and rise through the ranks.

So she definitely deserved the bank job as for her, it literally meant the world to her career wise. For me, having.money would have meant the world and I would have then had the means to pursue my career elsewhere lol with some cash to tide me over through college. A great reference from a too bank wouldn't have gone astray either.

I.would have quit the call centre troubleshooting role after a year and gone to uni with a few thousand in my pocket. I wouldn't be willing to just work in a call centre without having the time to study something I was very passionate about.

Edited by Leigh 87
Oh yeah,it is will be gross and minimum of 30% tax

The other thing to consider is just how much to costs to go to work. I am entirely home based now so rather like Linda Evangelista - someone else pays me to leave the house! What really struck me is the money I don't spend. I don't buy train tickets, lunch, coffee, muffins or any of the other incidentals.

Going to work is really expensive!

Very true! I have realized this by working two jobs and having to pay for additional transportation. $30 per week just to get home from one job during training. Thank goodness it's going telecommute. :) And it's so much easier to make meals at home when working from home.

Edited by pink_sugar

She is lucky in that in a year or two she will likely be promoted to HR and earning 100k when I will be at college with a couple days a week entry level admin work. How will she expect me to go out for dinner with her when she earns so much?

I'm amazed that you spend so much time pondering future scenarios like this, but the answer is - she'll treat, and you'll graciously say 'Thank you, it's on me next time'.

• Like 4

Thanks for the reply Leigh, but same as I think it was Midwest who said it.

Lots of info missing out there.

You can't in any way compare yourself to a 22 year old with a degree studying for an HR degree.

You are a realm apart and a lot of years apart in learning..in academic terms and real world terms.

OK, aside from all this, why podiatry?

You are aware that part of the work involved during the degree would be shadowing a podiatrist yes?

Are you choosing podiatry because it leads to a possible high income or are you actually interested in it?

Apologies, I really can't tell as you appear to flip about with your dreams and wants so much that they seem to be dreams and wants and not actual ambition.

Maybe get any job and go for the degree?

You're what 28 and appear to have no real path as you will change it as the drop of a hat to suit anyone/any job.

Yet, you don't want to be in the corporate world. A bank is the corporate world!

• Like 5
  • Author
Thanks for the reply Leigh, but same as I think it was Midwest who said it.

Lots of info missing out there.

You can't in any way compare yourself to a 22 year old with a degree studying for an HR degree.

You are a realm apart and a lot of years apart in learning..in academic terms and real world terms.

OK, aside from all this, why podiatry?

You are aware that part of the work involved during the degree would be shadowing a podiatrist yes?

Are you choosing podiatry because it leads to a possible high income or are you actually interested in it?

Apologies, I really can't tell as you appear to flip about with your dreams and wants so much that they seem to be dreams and wants and not actual ambition.

Maybe get any job and go for the degree?

You're what 28 and appear to have no real path as you will change it as the drop of a hat to suit anyone/any job.

Yet, you don't want to be in the corporate world. A bank is the corporate world!

Sorry but I scored in the top eight percent in my country in 2010 for college entrance exam, I scored in the NINETIES.

My friend scored 72. And.she studied her ass.off for.that mark.

There is.absolutely no way she is smarter than me naturally.

She is more accomplished. Not smarter academically speaking.

More successful people financially are not necessarily smarter than us.

She is in no way worlds apart from me. The only thing she has is more perseverance.

And i do have direction. I know who I am.and what areas I wish to dedicate my time towards.

I am.focusing on a.medical discipline that has a high rate if employment.

• Author

I am EXFREMELY ambitious.

Anyone who claims otherwise doesn't know me.

I had legitimate set backs in life.. Now I am well enough to get on with things u tell you, I am very driven and ambitious.

I want top marks in my degree. I want to be one of.the best at my job when I happen to fall into the field. Not immediately but over time I wish to become very successful.

• Author
I'm amazed that you spend so much time pondering future scenarios like this, but the answer is - she'll treat, and you'll graciously say 'Thank you, it's on me next time'.

She won't treat me.

She is a very nice person to her boyfriend and she is a great listener.

She won't, however, shout me dinner. She likes to save every last penny.

She would rather suggest doing non monetary things together.

I am a lot more generous than her.

All good though I spend most of my time with my boyfriend.

• Author

And I have tried to get a job any job but I am not well suited to fast food or baby sitting. I have given it all a go trust me.

People actually tell me I suit admin work and have responded to my.resume in droves.

I have tried it all and have experience in a lot of areas and a definately cannot just get a job, any job.

Some people simply don't have the personality to just go get a fast-food role or retail role.

I wish people could understand that not just anyone can get a job, any job.

My friend is also I'll suited for fats food and no one would hire her either.. She just didnt seem like a good fit for hospitality. We both tried to look.

It really irks me that she gets concession discount on transport and half price fares cos she is doing a masters degree yet earns 50 K a year.

I am on student allowance and get no transport discount. Wtf. She gets 50 K and half price tickets and I get five k per year and pay full fare.

Whoa Leigh, nobody is saying your friend is more deserving etc. all that has been said is that your circumstances are different in terms of qualifications. I have to say though that if your friend saw the way you talk about her here, she may be upset at your views of her. Also once again nobody has said you lack intelligence or ambition.

But onto your final point where you complain of your friend getting half price transport. Well don't you live rent free at your parents' house?

• Like 3
  • Author

In Australia you can get 60 percent in your college entrance score and still get into college.

In my parents day you needed to be in the top 10 percent of the state to go to uni/ college.

These days having a degree doesn't mean you're smarter than those without.

My friend is well spoken and smart but I am just as academically inclined just without the degree.

I did work for four years as a personal trainer when I was 18 through to 22 until my illness really took hold.

• Author
Whoa Leigh, nobody is saying your friend is more deserving etc. all that has been said is that your circumstances are different in terms of qualifications. I have to say though that if your friend saw the way you talk about her here, she may be upset at your views of her. Also once again nobody has said you lack intelligence or ambition.

But onto your final point where you complain of your friend getting half price transport. Well don't you live rent free at your parents' house?

All I said was that she is not smarter than me just because she holds a degree.

Where as my cousin who is a doctor and a natural genius is smarter than me. He can speak a few languages.

My friend was a better fit for the job than I was. I still gave it a go though.

GorillaTheater
I did work for four years as a personal trainer when I was 18 through to 22 until my illness really took hold.

Could you go back to that while you're in school? Beats some of the gigs I had, like delivering Chinese food and cleaning swimming pools.

• Like 1