Tips for Entry Level Admin

I'm avoid work today and have done it three more times, getting my score up to 89 with one error...

:D

Practice helps!

Smartass! Lol! :)

Well done you!!

Practice helps though..I can't argue with that! :)

I must admit and no doubt it has been spotted but my grammar is really not what it should be. But anything important i always proof it at least 4 times or have a smarter person look over it.

I mean not many people spell Thursday with an F.

On topic.

Leigh have you thought about a degree in animal husbandry?

• Like 1
  • Author
I'm confused (have done no back reading to be honest though).

Injustice for unpaid work in childcare but not in admin has baffled me?! Lol!

I need to do some reading...

But I WANT to work in admin. It is a really great option for college students.

I don't mind starting from the very bottom and working unpaid in order to become employable.

Leigh

You have not done a degree so you really have no idea of whether one is so much harder than the other. How would you feel if people posted about how a degree in podiatry was really easy and just a cop out for people who are too scared/not up to doing a degree in medicine?

• Author

Look, I am genuinly happy for my friend. That doesn't mean I think she deserves more than those graduates who did significantly harder and longer degrees than her.

I have other friends you know. Who did pharmacy and veterinary science and got high marks and are good at what they do. They both earn less than my social science friend.

40 k a year is just the going rate for a vet! Irrespective if what marks they get.

Veterinary science is gruelling. You need to learn the bodies of several animals rather than just humans that medical students become experts on.

I was really excited when all my friends got jobs! I felt very high and happy.I don't need to feel.jealously because my life is very nice and easy and I wouldn't trade it for that of my friends.

How is it fair that a veterinary science grad who studies for six years gets 40 k a year, my pharmacy grad mate got 35k and oh, my social science friend gets 50 K and a promise by the bank to give her an HR role once she has her hr masters, which pays 100k.

Sorry but it is completely unfair that my friend will get an 100k job in two years time without having to do a advanced chemistry or science, and my two friends who did way more difficult degrees all be stuck on the 40 k mark for years to come. Because that is what Australia values veterinary and pharmacy grads like......

The fact I believe that pharmacy grads, veterinary science grads and engineering grads should earn more than social science grads DOES NOT MEAN I am angry at my friend.........

My social science friend even agrees with me that those people who did insanely hard degrees deserve more money than her.Even she admits it. She thinks all grads should earn at least 50 K for the expense and trouble it took to go to college.

But the fact is Leigh that you personally have no idea how hard it is to do a degree yet you keep making posts suggesting otherwise.

• Like 1
  • Author
Leigh

You have not done a degree so you really have no idea of whether one is so much harder than the other. How would you feel if people posted about how a degree in podiatry was really easy and just a cop out for people who are too scared/not up to doing a degree in medicine?

I have friends in both degrees.

Pharmacy and veterinary science is MUCH harder than social science. Times 1000.

And I couldn't care less what people say about podiatry. I wouldn't do medicine even if I could. I'm doing podiatry because I am happy enough about it to not let other people's opinions of it get me down.

I am highlighting a very obvious fact. Pharmacy and veterinary science are way more intense than social science. It is my opinion that my friends in those degrees deserve more money than my social science friend because they worked harder than her.

The pharmacy and veterinary science friend studied constantly. CONSTANTLY. They also got 99 atars and are NATURALLY intelligent. They STILL studied literally every day for eight hours minimum.

My social science friends studied less than half as much as my pharmacy and veterinary science friends.

I don't believe it's fair that my friends who worked harder get SIGNIFICANTLY LESS than my social science friends.

Amazing. Within 3 or 4 posts, a veterinary degree has done from being 50 times harder to 1000 times harder. My point still stands Leigh - you really cannot comment on this when you have not done a degree.

Your belittling of social science is rude, offensive and shows a real lack of understanding of what such a degree can involve and how important social sciences are for you, me and everybody else.

• Like 2
  • Author

Ok so how come pharmacy, engineering, veterinary and law grads I personally know well didn't have lives and studied constantly, when my social science friends studied far less hours?

I have friends. I look at their course work as I am very interested in anything academic. I enjoy talking about my friends jobs and degrees.

My family and friends all agree that students who study far more challenging degrees deserve more money than students who work less hard. It's common sense.

• Author
Amazing. Within 3 or 4 posts, a veterinary degree has done from being 50 times harder to 1000 times harder. My point still stands Leigh - you really cannot comment on this when you have not done a degree.

Your belittling of social science is rude, offensive and shows a real lack of understanding of what such a degree can involve and how important social sciences are for you, me and everybody else.

I am not belittling social science... I have friends who did it.

Sorry but I just don't believe these social science grads deserve what a veterinary science grad gets.

Veterinary science grad do SURGERY. How on earth can you compare social science grads to veterinary science grads who carry out surgery on animals!

I am not undermining social science. I am simply saying it isnt as difficult as veterinary science or pharmacy.

Maybe you need to study an economics degree. Just because people study a course, does not mean that there is such high demand or their work is sufficiently valued for them to earn very high pay.

Maybe people choose their degree because of their passion for the subject and not for their passion for the pay cheque.

• Like 4
  • Author
Maybe you need to study an economics degree. Just because people study a course, does not mean that there is such high demand or their work is sufficiently valued for them to earn very high pay.

Maybe people choose their degree because of their passion for the subject and not for their passion for the pay cheque.

My point is that I believe veterinary science grads who do surgery on people's pets deserve more than social science grads.

A lot people would agree.

It really isn't audacious to believe that people who work harder deserve more money.

My veterinary science friend and her cohort whom I met studied....insanely hard. I personaly believe they deserve more than 40 k.

sweetjasmine
My family and friends all agree that students who study far more challenging degrees deserve more money than students who work less hard. It's common sense.

Deserve has nothing to do with it. The economy isn't meritocratic. What's the point in arguing about how much people deserve? How is this helping you do what you want to do?

I'm not saying they don't deserve to earn more. The problem is how you go on and on about how they deserve more than your friend. Pretty much in the same way you go on and on about how you are so much smarter than her and deserve to earn more than her.

Plus the fact that you personally do not really know how difficult it is to do any degree let alone a social science degree.....

• Author

Admin and reception workers get paid more or as much as veterinary science grads who undergo life saving surgery.

I simply think it's ridiculous.

I don't believe I will deserve as much as a pharmacist or veterinary science grad. Their degrees are harder and have a lot more course work.

I believe I deserve the pay check that I earn. Podiatry is difficult but I am not learning how to carry out major surgery on a variety of animals is way harder!

I was surprised that admin staff get paid so much once they have some experience. I just don't believe the deserve it over vets.

The way I think is pretty common.

Just ask students. The ones doing harder degrees tend to think they deserve more..soils science students I know agree that no the dint deserve what a vet gets.

Lol even the social science students I know agree.

I don't believe it's fair that my friends who worked harder get SIGNIFICANTLY LESS than my social science friends.

Probably not but what are you going to do about it.

My husband doesn't have a degree at all (how easy is that! even less contact hours than arts!) but rode the wave of the early millennium IT boom. Made a motza selling stuff to banks and defence. No degree needed, arguably sales isn't even that hard.

He now works client side in banks keeping your money safe on the internet. People seem to value that more than they value pharmacists. Supply and demand. I am not saying that we always get it right or that it is fair.

But also "worked hard" has many different meanings, not just your contact hours or time spend at uni or the amount of maths you had to do.

• Author
Leigh, what sort of thing do you really enjoy doing, even if you don't receive a pay cheque?

I love chemistry out of every subject. I enjoy math and if I had my way, I would take a year long math course and then do pharmacy as it has advanced math.

Or I'd do chemical engineering.

If I won lotto and time was not so limited to me as a 28 yr old who wants a house and family potentially.

However, podiatry is still interesting to me and pays a lot higher than pharmacy.

I don't have time to go and learn math for a year and the enter into degrees that have slim employment prospects.. Even chemical engineering is mostly overseas and the Australian market for it is dire.

I enjoy the idea of anything medical however, so I decided to pick a degree that is not chemistry heavy as I would ideally like it to be, but will still be challenging and fulfilling.

My best female friend is a podiatrist and I did really enjoy her work. She showed me all her notes and she had a chat to me about it.

I also rang up my local podiatrist who was a new grad and she let me shaddow her as she works to my own local Gp practice. She loved the degree and said it was really challenging and fulfilling.

The thing I prefer about poditary is the patient care side of affairs.

The think I liked about chemical engineering and pharmacy is they indulged in my love of chemistry and were so hard core and difficult.. Extremely worthwhile to get into that zone where you...can grasp such academically rigorous concepts.

I

I enjoy the idea....

I think this is the crux of it. If you were really into chemistry you would be living and breathing it. My dad is really into engineering so he builds model steam engines as a hobby. He loves it.

What are your hobbies Leigh? What do you like to do rather than what you like the idea of? I just find it hard to believe you sit down every night to read Nature or the NEJM.

• Like 1
todreaminblue
I love chemistry out of every subject. I enjoy math and if I had my way, I would take a year long math course and then do pharmacy as it has advanced math.

Or I'd do chemical engineering.

If I won lotto and time was not so limited to me as a 28 yr old who wants a house and family potentially.

However, podiatry is still interesting to me and pays a lot higher than pharmacy.

I don't have time to go and learn math for a year and the enter into degrees that have slim employment prospects.. Even chemical engineering is mostly overseas and the Australian market for it is dire.

I enjoy the idea of anything medical however, so I decided to pick a degree that is not chemistry heavy as I would ideally like it to be, but will still be challenging and fulfilling.

My best female friend is a podiatrist and I did really enjoy her work. She showed me all her notes and she had a chat to me about it.

I also rang up my local podiatrist who was a new grad and she let me shaddow her as she works to my own local Gp practice. She loved the degree and said it was really challenging and fulfilling.

The thing I prefer about poditary is the patient care side of affairs.

The think I liked about chemical engineering and pharmacy is they indulged in my love of chemistry and were so hard core and difficult.. Extremely worthwhile to get into that zone where you...can grasp such academically rigorous concepts.

how is it worthwhile for you to grasp complex academic medical concepts...for what reason will it make a difference.....deb

• Author

I like admin and reception as a college job because I enjoy working with word and computers and I enjoy being highly organised. I get a real kick out of arranging my study materials at college. I enjoy typing for hours on end. I enjoy answering phones and being helpful.

I also like that you don't need years of experience to get a job in admin albeit you don't get paid well when you start out. I don't mind as it's the best job I feel I can get during college.

I like podiatry because it is intellectualy challenging, is about one on one patient care, you can undergo minor surgery and at this point in time, all the podiatry grads get jobs and strategies on over 50 K.

Podiatry only goes for three years rather than the four years chemical engineering and pharmacy go for. There are better employment prospects for podiatry. Podiatry grads earn more money than pharmacy grads. Chemical engineers cannot get a lot of work un Australia.

• Author
I think this is the crux of it. If you were really into chemistry you would be living and breathing it. My dad is really into engineering so he builds model steam engines as a hobby. He loves it.

What are your hobbies Leigh? What do you like to do rather than what you like the idea of? I just find it hard to believe you sit down every night to read Nature or the NEJM.

At school it was my favourite subject by a long shot. I also " got it".

Doesn't mean I am.necessarily suited to a chemistry based degree. I was just guessing lol based on what I enjoyed the most at school and seemed to understand with the most ease.

• Author
how is it worthwhile for you to grasp complex academic medical concepts...for what reason will it make a difference.....deb

Because you can apply them practically to people.

My podiatry friend can look at a person's foot as she has my own foot, and manipulate it around to find the cause of problems.

It would be very rewarding to have that expertise.

You can also help people walk again as well as save diabetics from loosing their feet through educating them of how to manage their condition.

Podiatrist learn a lot about diabetes which I like since my dad has horrible diabetes.

At school it was my favourite subject by a long shot. I also " got it".

Doesn't mean I am.necessarily suited to a chemistry based degree. I was just guessing lol based on what I enjoyed the most at school and seemed to understand with the most ease.

But that wasn't my question. What do you do with chemistry now? in your spare time? Or what are your hobbies? what do you enjoy doing?

• Author
Probably not but what are you going to do about it.

My husband doesn't have a degree at all (how easy is that! even less contact hours than arts!) but rode the wave of the early millennium IT boom. Made a motza selling stuff to banks and defence. No degree needed, arguably sales isn't even that hard.

He now works client side in banks keeping your money safe on the internet. People seem to value that more than they value pharmacists. Supply and demand. I am not saying that we always get it right or that it is fair.

But also "worked hard" has many different meanings, not just your contact hours or time spend at uni or the amount of maths you had to do.

My social science friend admittedly budged a little, had an active social life and always had ample spare time.

My friends in veterinary science and pharmacy did not bludge because they would fail if they so much as missed out on one key concepts. They studied more and constantly told me how intellectualy demanding their degrees were.