Opportunities that have arisen in ONE DAY'S worth of job searching. Impressed.

Forget anything science or social work. The market is completely stagnant there unless you live in a huge city with tons of research opportunities.

You want job security? Technology is where it's at, period. You don't even need the degree... just skills. The degree helps a little though.

However, since you *want* a degree, I'd suggest Information Technology. Little math (unlike computer science), a little programming and everything else is usually technical coursework.

Get that degree and you'll be set for life. There's more work (contract and permanent) than employees just about everywhere.

• Like 1
  • Author
You are buying way too much into the description of the degree. All degrees, no matter what they are, are going to be made to sound really good and promising. You are not going to find a degree that says:

"Looking for a degree with a limited market, below average pay, and requiring you to relocate great distances? Well degree Y is perfect for you"

A bachelor's degree is not going to cut it in any "real" science, especially not biomedical science. Even a master's a lot of time won't be enough, typically a Ph. D is what is required, and those are already flooding the market. At best with a bachelor's degree, you could get a job as a lab assistant doing grunt work with very little pay.

One degree that might actually fit you since you seem to be leaning towards the biology field is something in kinesiology, the science of human mechanics. More specifically, you could aim to become a physical therapist, which does have very good pay. However, at least in the US, you need at least a Master's in the degree, not sure how it works in AU.

I am happy to do a masters.

I will mention that degree to the counsellor on Monday.

• Author

In Australia, biomedical, on average, start on 50k for new grads.

It is not a poorly paid job in Australia.. I have researched it quiet expensive. It is definately not " poorly paid with no prospects "

There are also a lot of opportunities for career progression and better pay without having to do a masters or another degree.

With degrees like this, I realise they do become your life. You definately eat sleep and breath everything biomedical subjects.........................

I am willing to and will even insist on getting a tutor for anything math and science related. I will like need it as my chemistry tutor showed me really good ways to apply formules and how to always listen to exactly what each question stipulates so you can anger each question properly.

• Author
Forget anything science or social work. The market is completely stagnant there unless you live in a huge city with tons of research opportunities.

You want job security? Technology is where it's at, period. You don't even need the degree... just skills. The degree helps a little though.

However, since you *want* a degree, I'd suggest Information Technology. Little math (unlike computer science), a little programming and everything else is usually technical coursework.

Get that degree and you'll be set for life. There's more work (contract and permanent) than employees just about everywhere.

You do realise that not every user is American? I am Australian.

Yes I know science degrees are as useless as arts degrees.

However, Health science are supposedly useful such as becoming a physical therapist.

In Australia the average grad salary for biomedical is 50 K.

I am not sure if I would be good at information technology. I did well in chemistry and biology, does that mean I would handle such a degree?

• Author

I am going to ask the career expert which degree:

- Has a good rate of new grads getting work soon after graduating

- Has a good rate of students being able to pay back student loanz

- Has the best rated job security

- Has career progression if you so choose to work hard and do the hard yards and time in the field.....

- Has a state, decent salary without needing a PHD

I dont mind doing a masters but am not keep for a PHD at manage of 27.5

So Kinesiology, how about an exercise or food science degree? one food science grads I know got a 50k job as a food analysis for a major company.

Biomedical in Australia seem to start on 45 K as a lab assistant.

The thing that really appeals about biomedical, kinesiology, exercise or food science is the sence of pride I feel just thinking about what an expert you need to become just to graduate.

I would feel very proud of myself leaning such challenging and in depth material.

I dont care so much about starting salaries but I need there to be good enough prospects for career progression. If I work hard and do all the right things.

I would feel very self fulfilled leaning so much about the science that I then got paid to contact research for clinitions and the like.

I know I would get job satisfaction with a Health sciences degree...... I would feel clever and worthwhile in the work that I cared out.

I am going to be very very sure of my decision before making it. I wont even think about applyiny for a place in a position until an Australian career expert guide can confirm that there is a Health science based degree that is a growing market and has very good prospects for the future.

Please babe in mind that Aussie is a small populous and therefore, we have less competition, and for things like biomedical and food sciences, you dont need a masters to get a job with a salary on which you can live on.

• Author

I held a job for years before I feel ill.

I have a great reference from that personal training job.

You do realise that not every user is American? I am Australian.

Yes I know science degrees are as useless as arts degrees.

However, Health science are supposedly useful such as becoming a physical therapist.

In Australia the average grad salary for biomedical is 50 K.

I am not sure if I would be good at information technology. I did well in chemistry and biology, does that mean I would handle such a degree?

I'm not actually American-born (although I do live in the US) so yes, I'm quite aware ;)

I meant what I said. IT, whether it's in Australia or the US, is one of the most desirable and best paid fields.

Chemistry and Biology are nothing like IT. IT is all about procedural work. In other words, you learn the techniques to do something and then apply them. For example, helpdesk support, network administration, etc. You don't really program for the most part which would normally require math and physics knowledge. You can also branch out into other less-technical work such as project management, which is one of the best paid careers in any field.

Women, especially those with people skills, are highly desirable in the field because most people with technical skills are socially awkward men :) My experience looking for work is that I get TONS more calls than my husband and I normally find jobs within 2 weeks... even though we're both similarly qualified within IT.

You may not find the field appealing and that's OK. Just thought I'd throw it out there.

Glinda.Good
Ok I start new job tomorrow at a decent pay that is way better than working in a crowded bar or café

So how was your first day at the new job? What kind of work is it?

I'm not actually American-born (although I do live in the US) so yes, I'm quite aware ;)

I meant what I said. IT, whether it's in Australia or the US, is one of the most desirable and best paid fields.

Chemistry and Biology are nothing like IT. IT is all about procedural work. In other words, you learn the techniques to do something and then apply them. For example, helpdesk support, network administration, etc. You don't really program for the most part which would normally require math and physics knowledge. You can also branch out into other less-technical work such as project management, which is one of the best paid careers in any field.

Women, especially those with people skills, are highly desirable in the field because most people with technical skills are socially awkward men :) My experience looking for work is that I get TONS more calls than my husband and I normally find jobs within 2 weeks... even though we're both similarly qualified within IT.

You may not find the field appealing and that's OK. Just thought I'd throw it out there.

Honestly, from my experience, IT isn't that stable. Most IT jobs, especially where I have lived are contract primarily. Your position depends on a constant renewal of your contract and if it's not renewed, you're out of a job. Meanwhile, a lot of contract positions do not offer benefits. Of course these jobs pay well, but definitely not stable unless you're one of the lucky few. Most of those jobs as a result of those coming here on visa, are contract probably because so many rely on visa and sponsors.

• Like 1
  • Author

I had an interview with a tutor. He has a PHD in physics.

He is a friend of a good friend of mine.

He said it will be hard for the first year due to my own anxiety over my fear of faluire.

He then said that he can tell that once I get my head around the first year basics, he is pretty adant that I will do well towards the end of my second year and beyond.

He says I have what it takes to do well in a science based degree but will have to accept that getting back into sciences after not having studied sciences for a while will be challenging.

He has agreed to tutor me for a reduced rate since he lives close By and is a good friend of my good friend.

Eternal Sunshine

IT industry was at it's peak 20-10 years ago and has been steadily declining since. A lot of jobs are outsourced to Asian countries and the future looks grim.

In research even though positions are contracted, you get the full benefits of a permanent employee. It's actually very rare not to have your contract renewed if you are doing well. Especially if you find a niche field, you have pretty much no competition :)

• Like 2
Eternal Sunshine
The current discussion is totally irrelevant to the original question.

I disagree. OP wanted to know about secure & well payed job industries.

• Like 2
I disagree. OP wanted to know about secure & well payed job industries.

OP was asking about jobs to get through university. Now its a lengthy discussion about what degree to study when Leigh seemed to be dead set on a social work degree originally.

• Like 1

Leigh in this thread you've gone from being set on social work, to being set on aged care, to biomedical science!! Just take a step back and relax! I'm at work so I'll have to post a more detailed reply later but you need to calm down and there's need to justify your choices to anyone :)

• Like 3
  • Author
IT industry was at it's peak 20-10 years ago and has been steadily declining since. A lot of jobs are outsourced to Asian countries and the future looks grim.

In research even though positions are contracted, you get the full benefits of a permanent employee. It's actually very rare not to have your contract renewed if you are doing well. Especially if you find a niche field, you have pretty much no competition :)

So in term of career security, I could pick a major that is in the most demand... You know, an area that not many study at uni and I don't despise.

So biomedical, kinesiology ( exercise science) or perhaps aiming to be a physical therapist.

What field is the best fit? Anything to do with the body and biology I am passionate about. I also dont dislike chemistry and short of enjoyed it.

• Author
Leigh in this thread you've gone from being set on social work, to being set on aged care, to biomedical science!! Just take a step back and relax! I'm at work so I'll have to post a more detailed reply later but you need to calm down and there's need to justify your choices to anyone :)

I am passionate about helping the hopelessly and.abandon. Both human and animals.

Compared to the food science degree, where I felt clever, that I was becoming accomplished and heading in a great direction, social work felt like I was just doing what I had to do in order to get a degree.

Trouble is I just have up at the first sign of process: I needed to re.learn math and physics.

I didn't know they hired white people at Chinese restaurants. :confused:

Good for you Leigh. I vote for the cleaning job, bet your boyfriend wouldn't mind seeing you in the french maid outfit.

• Like 1
  • Author

I HAVE GREAT NEWS.

I just checked out the courses offered in the three year biomedical sciences degree.

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO PICK MATH.

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

MATH is ONLY actually offered at all during year ONE, as an OPTIONAL subject, and at an EASY level.

You also do not have to do physics as the degree is LARGELY comprised of hardcore bio and chemistry.......

So if I want to do math I can, but it is only offered for on year and it is not exactly at calculus level.......

AND MORE GOOD NEWS.

It has my FAVOURITE subject that I aced in food science! It contains anatomy and physiology 101, and then things like immunology, cell biology, biochemistry (in nutrition as well as many other areas).

I am already nearly sold on this degree for the fact I am passionate and enthused about the subjects, it is not very math heavy although I will likely opt to do a soft math course for year one.

I think math will better round me and in the future, better equip me to go on and complete a masters if I so choose since the masters in any sciences require math in all likelihood.

A guy that did my old food science degree, which also only requires minimum math, went on to do pharmacy because you earn a crapload if you work hard towards that particular career....

• Like 1
  • Author

And in year two you have to do "statistics for the sciences"

Every single course on offer are subjects that truly fascinate me and I would feel absolutely... fantastic about learning. I would feel very accomplished and fulfilled since these are things that are worthwhile to me personally.

When it comes to talking to academic friends of mine, the sciences, and although I didn't know the term for it at the time it was always biomedical types of subjects that I would always want to talk about endlessly, and pick the brains of my more intelligent friends.....

I am not sure why I didn't pursue this sooner. Given this degree pretty much contains the things I am most passionate about talking about amongst people - out of all the topics on offer, I have always had the most to say/been the most interested in talking about science, namely biomedical focused topics or chemistry; I have no natural interest in math or physics but would have done it if it was compulsory (which IT IS NOT, lol! I am actually kind of shocked).

This degree is VERY heavy in bio/biomedical subjects and has literally no physics unless you OPT top do math or physics.

Optional first year courses: math 101, physics 101, (math And physics for dummies basically), and psychology 101.

Personally, I would chose math or physics 101 for dummies BUT I already have the psych book :( from my other degree of the past in social sciences which is a worthless degree, with only 60% of graduates getting full time work, and the salary being 45K with no prospects of increases.

With biomedical, you can expand on your education; you can do a masters in pharmacy, an honours in health sciences and even get into medicine which takes too darn long and I would never do anyways.

In AUS there are less people and therefore there is less job competition; biomedical sciences alone is enough to get a decent job that will support you.

Eternal Sunshine

Biomedical science sounds by far most interesting out of all of your options to ME. You need to make sure YOU really want it though.

There is also a variety of specializations you can do in your honours year but I do have to caution you that you will need honours to be competitive for the better jobs.

Health is currently the fastest growing sector in Australia.

• Author
Biomedical science sounds by far most interesting out of all of your options to ME. You need to make sure YOU really want it though.

There is also a variety of specializations you can do in your honours year but I do have to caution you that you will need honours to be competitive for the better jobs.

My dad was rushed to hospital two days ago and he would be extremely proud of me if he were to live until my graduation:( Poor thing had to have an ANGIOGRAM :( They are SO excruciatingly painful that my dad thought he was having a heart attack during it. Dad has a VERY high pain threshold.........

OH, Eternal Sunshine, you may be interested to hear that at Sydneys St Vincent hospital, the doctor was such a nice man, he wanted to put the cutting edge, newest heart stints (sorry if I am not using medical terminology correctly!) that have not even been LISTED on the Aussie market yet.

SO the stints they put inside him, about 4 in total, cost 8000 a pop and are cutting edge from the USA but the doctors were amazed at dads 5 tuple bypass from 20 years ago; his doctor at the time made a bypass that was only supposed to get him by for 5 years TOPS, last 20 years!!!!!!!!!

So my dad got everything done for free and got the most latest, most cutting edge medical technology!

My dad is so funny. He was waiting in emergency to get a bed/room. He says to me mum: " well they are probably waiting for someone to die before they can fit me in" :lmao: He has the same sense of humour I do LOL.

• Author

Oh I would without a doubt go on to do a masters. This is the field/degree has always been my number one passion in terms of the subjects area, I simply thought I wasn't smart enough to do my dream career.

Biomedical: I feel like OMG, this is literally the best most fulfilling set of areas in which to learn! If I won lotto, it is still the degree and type of field I would most ENJOY and get the MOST out of; it is the career and degree I would get the most of in terms of personal and professional fulfilment.

If I won lotto I would still do this degree. Based on the individual courses I have looked at which this degree contains.Things that make my froth at the mouth; immunology, nutritional biomechanics, human and plant cell biology, the complete breakdown of our bodies:love: at the cellular level.I just didn't think I could just go ahead and "do whatever I wanted" simply because it is what I would most enjoy doing and feel the most fulfilled professionally doing.

At 28 I really thought it was too late to go after what I wanted and I settled with the easiest degrees that I thought could get me a job.

Social work: if I won lotto I would volunteer and start a charity. I wouldn't do it as a degree. While I do love reading about social problems and spreading the facts and raising awareness about poverty and I love breaking misconceptions; I do not feel stimulated or academically... fulfilled by any stretch though.With Social Work, I enjoyed learning about social problems and homelessness and how to build a sustainable city as well as policy. However, I didn't... really get any academic or intellectual highs from it as these are all subjects I can learn by reading, of which I do plenty of in my spare time.

I literally get a high when I talk/pick the brains of scientists or doctors. I never got that sense from anything to do with social welfare orientated subjects. I felt/feel a sense of " omg I want to keep learning more and more about this" where as with social science or social work subjects I was always like " oh. Well that is interested. Cool."

Pharmacy or.... physiotherapy, kinesiology and a few other health science masters really appeal to me in a future sense, the fact they are options one day in the future make me smile from ear to ear.

I so WILL NOT miss writing thousands of words of ESSAYS. Not one bit. I cannot believe I even lasts a year all up of writing essays constantly:sick:

I love reading though.

• Like 1
  • Author

This degree and prospective field/options of careers are also what is of most interest to ME.

I just wasn't sure that what interested ME the most was a feasible option.

I thought that high distinctions in HSC Bio and Chem were not enough to excel at or even PASS a "big girl" University level science degree.

I thought about all the math and physics I would need to master. I was never bad at either, but they didn't light any fire within me, either. Low motivation to re learn them and get to a high level in either arena....

So I picked what I liked the most out of the "easy" degrees. Rather than doing what I most felt strongly about academically; I assumed I wasn't smart enough.

• Like 1