Opportunities that have arisen in ONE DAY'S worth of job searching. Impressed.

• Author
I would simply warn you to be careful of #1. That 'proper salary' is surely commissioned. If it wasn't, everyone would do it without regards to results.

"

It is customer service/sales jobwhich may be crappy but at least it is a proper salary unlike the bellow minimum wage jobs that try to exploit you."

On way to this interview now..

It's a job right in the middle of CBD.

I may not like the job description at all.

I've researched the company on its website as you are all aware is important for an interview m

Fingers crossed it is actually a good sounding job that will accept me.

My heart is more set on the aged care paid training course since it's actually relevant to my bachelors degree.

• Author

Just then on the train I got contacted by a travel company.

Apparantly I've been short listed. Probably because I've travelled a fair amount and I did a short travel retail course. I'm familiar with the systems travel consultants use to book flights and I did the basic math requirer to calculate the cost of packages.

She said she would get back to my shortly. They don't always get back to you though if they go ahead and interview better candidates.

• Author

Well there were hundreds of applicants all in suits for the sales and marketing job.

They are interviewing 300 applicants.

People interviewed largely had degrees and experience but my interviewer said she only cares about the personality, as the right personality and work ethic are all that are needed supposedly.

I am a bit quiet and reserved. I had an interview with an Irish woman who was really nice. We both got interviews at once.

I wasn't nervous. I either sell myself well or I don't. I find some days I do others I don't. Some interviews I have gotten through, others I haven't.

I don't think I'll get a call back as I don't think I sold myself enough. I mentioned that what dreamed in to applying was the fact that it's a relatively new company that seems so have come far in a short time span. That I really just like customer service and interacting with people.

I mentioned that my former employees said I was a bit different in a way that got them to take notice and hire me.

I don't feel it was my day today but I wasn't atrocious either.

They are narrowing it down to 50 people today. I will get a call by 3 pm of my interview was successful.

Edited by Leigh 87
I am equally as lucky in life as you are and I am the OPPOSIT of hard done by, but I have a huge complex where I feel so alien compared to much younger adults such as you.

You just go and get jobs and get a lot of hours without seemingly having to look hard. You just get a job and work.

Where as I was mentally AND physically ill for years in my late teens and early 20's I feel like I lack the experience to just go and be able to do a job right away upon starting it.

I just wish to be normal, go get a job and work hard at it so I have savings during university and a good reference or two plus experience in the workforce.

I have had jobs on and off during my ill years but very minimal experience in each field...

It seems so easy for people like you to just "get a job".

One of the jobs I have at the moment is only because I know the manager of the store. It's all about who you know half the time. It's not easy to get a job especially a part time or casual job, especially when you're studying. Just a tip, DO NOT TELL POTENTIAL EMPLOYERS THAT YOU PLAN TO STUDY it puts them off as they know that you wont stay forever and your schedule is likely to change.

Also stop thinking you're not normal, you are doing fine. You've had work experience and you are working towards a goal. There are a lot of drop kicks out there who haven't worked a day in their life or people who are happy working at kmart for the rest of their lives.

Another note, I'm in Western Australia and it's the most growing state at the moment. The job market is huge at the moment, much easier to get a job than Sydney apparently.

• Like 2

I guess saying not wanting to get into about the rent/pay issue leads to 3 long post on the issue and nothing in regards to the second part of my post :rolleyes:

Leigh as I said before and others have said, focus on your school, you are trying to do too much when it isn't even needed. You keep changing from one thing to the next when your only real focus should just be school.

Also, honestly, a lot of your posts could just go in a journal in your profile, as many of them seem more of you just talking of what you are doing and about your day to day events, not so much as a question on what to do.

• Like 1
  • Author
I guess saying not wanting to get into about the rent/pay issue leads to 3 long post on the issue and nothing in regards to the second part of my post :rolleyes:

Leigh as I said before and others have said, focus on your school, you are trying to do too much when it isn't even needed. You keep changing from one thing to the next when your only real focus should just be school.

Also, honestly, a lot of your posts could just go in a journal in your profile, as many of them seem more of you just talking of what you are doing and about your day to day events, not so much as a question on what to do.

School is most important but it starts up again in September and at my age it is essential I get at least some part time or casual work before college commences.

I would always put school first though over any job; if the job started to impact my school work I would cut hours even if it meant losing out on the job.

It is key that I at least volunteer within my field plus study.

Any paid work is just a bonus but very needed at my age (savings are important).

I am looking for as many jobs as possible as that is what it takes to get one job for some people.

• Author

I got work on Saturday night at an event company. I am currently registered with one other event company but the work is very infrequent.

Now I have two event companies I can get work through.

pink_sugar
Well there were hundreds of applicants all in suits for the sales and marketing job.

They are interviewing 300 applicants.

People interviewed largely had degrees and experience but my interviewer said she only cares about the personality, as the right personality and work ethic are all that are needed supposedly.

I am a bit quiet and reserved. I had an interview with an Irish woman who was really nice. We both got interviews at once.

I wasn't nervous. I either sell myself well or I don't. I find some days I do others I don't. Some interviews I have gotten through, others I haven't.

I don't think I'll get a call back as I don't think I sold myself enough. I mentioned that what dreamed in to applying was the fact that it's a relatively new company that seems so have come far in a short time span. That I really just like customer service and interacting with people.

I mentioned that my former employees said I was a bit different in a way that got them to take notice and hire me.

I don't feel it was my day today but I wasn't atrocious either.

They are narrowing it down to 50 people today. I will get a call by 3 pm of my interview was successful.

Narrowing it down to 50 people?! Sounds like a MLM scheme to me. Regular employers usually call the 10 most qualified individuals and then narrow it down from there.

Edited by pink_sugar
  • Like 2
  • Author

What is MLM?

I wasn't selected which was good. I wasn't keen on a sales or marketing job but I was trying to do the right thing and at least " apply for any job" that would have me.

I am relieved.

Happy to have work this Saturday. Money is money right? It is for anither event company.

I enjoy event work as it is infrequent but you end up with at least 1000 a year from sporadic once a month type of events.

The registers at events work are always easy, I can just turn up to a register I have not used before and use it right away, where as some companies have registers with a lot of products you have to learn/remember.

Still eager to hear back from the aged care trainee ship as compassion and quality time are the things that get me going where as sales are frankly the polar opposite of who I am and my natural personality type; I HATE trying to sell people products, I feel annoying and uncomfortable. But hey, it was good experience turning up to a serious interview with thousands of applicants all sitting around in suits.

Maybe the fact I didn't feel nervous is attributed to the fact I wasn't keen on the job anyways? Not passionate about it....

• Author

So aside from the event work I am working Saturday from a new company too, a family has asked me to mind their kids, 5 and 8 (age groups I do well with).

They are paying me 20 an hour, 2 dollars above min wage.

It will be 3 or 4 nights a week, amounting to 300 a week.

SO far that and event work look to be the most secure options which are very manageable with full time study. 3 or 4 afternoons a week sounds sensible as far as studies go.

What do I do if I start minding children and a better offer comes along? I want to commit to something then stick it out so I have staying power in a job.

At this stage, the only better offer than the 3 or 4 afternoons a week would be the aged care paid traineeships as it pertains to me college education and will likely get me a job as soon as a graduate opposed to just minding children for a couple of years until I graduate.

I don't like hospitality work as much as simply minding children and cooking dinner for the family, providing it is a nice and friendly family.

• Author
MLM = multi level marketing.

I think that is what they do, it is a scheme where once you start, if you are good at the job you can move up very quickly to several different levels.

There are 5 levels and each level has a comprehensive guide.

Ugh. So not my thing. I hate the notion of bothering consumers it is just not my thing at all but I thought I would still apply for any job I felt capable of doing just in case an opportunity presented itself.

They do sell for charities to raise money so that was a selling point for me and the only thing about the job description that appealed to me.

My great uncle was an award winning salesman who met the Queen because he was so generous in raising money for charity, my father is his carer now.

I guess some people are born with it (the ability to be a sales person) and some are not, like me:lmao:

Eternal Sunshine
I think that is what they do, it is a scheme where once you start, if you are good at the job you can move up very quickly to several different levels.

Ugh. So not my thing. I hate the notion of bothering consumers it is just not my thing at all but I thought I would still apply for any job I felt capable of doing just in case an opportunity presented itself.

They do sell for charities to raise money so that was a selling point for me and the only thing about the job description that appealed to me.

My great uncle was an award winning salesman who met the Queen because he was so generous in raising money for charity, my father is his carer now.

I guess some people are born with it (the ability to be a sales person) and some are not, like me:lmao:

That sounds horrible. I would stay away from it :sick:

• Like 2
pink_sugar

Not only that, but those are almost always commission only. They advertise high pay, no experience needed and etc. Be wary of those. Usually they make you attend some sort of presentation. Also if they ask you for any money up front for anything...don't do it. Farmers is well known for trying to find people on commission only and you have to pay for your license and they will not reimburse you unless you're actually making sales. Remember, jobs pay you, you don't pay them.

• Like 2
  • Author
Not only that, but those are almost always commission only. They advertise high pay, no experience needed and etc. Be wary of those. Usually they make you attend some sort of presentation. Also if they ask you for any money up front for anything...don't do it. Farmers is well known for trying to find people on commission only and you have to pay for your license and they will not reimburse you unless you're actually making sales. Remember, jobs pay you, you don't pay them.

I'm not sure if it was commission only.

I know a well known travel centre I regularly apply for gives you a base rate PLUS commission on top of your wage.

I went along to the sales and marketing job interview because there were so many applicants and the fact there were many people waiting in business attire made the job and the company look respectable enough.

I've always disliked the idea of sales as I prefer more rewarding endeavours such as volunteering and the aged care traineeship.

Sales to me seems like a good fit for people that are all about money and that like the incentive of getting rich fast with the array of schemes I am sure are available.

I didn't even care an iota when I didn't get the call back to make it to the next round. Usually I get upset when I miss out on jobs.

Seriously thought, I could never go to work and not know if I'm going to get paid unless I make a lot of sales.

pink_sugar

Also try to search the company online before going to interviews at places which you are not familiar with. If it is a MLM scheme, it can easily be found out. It can save you time and any possible wasted efforts.

• Author

I have decided to quit the aggressive search for work and instead focus on my future. I have event work every month, mum buys my luxury hair and skin products and I live very comfortably as is. And lets face it, after four years looking for hospitality and retail based jobs, I really must not have the knack for them since I cannot easily get them like most Uni students seem to......

For starters, I have decided to change my youth work diploma to aged care; it is pretty much guaranteed you will get a job if you look hard enough. It is the fasted growing job sector in Australia and I live in an area with a lot of aging population.

Within this a year I can easily get a proper professional job in an industry (aged care) that also pertains to my degree. In the next one year I can get a paid job in the aged care industry if I do a quick diploma course in aged care.

At my age of 28, I feel it is more important to focus on a professional, career job ASAP and spend a few months studying towards it, opposed to getting retail or hospitability jobs.

A diploma in aged care is the quickest way for me to have a professional job that is growing industry with plenty of jobs available. It seems a lot more promising than aimlessly looking or café, restaurant, bar or retail work!

It will be hard doing it on the side of my degree but if I studied on weekends and one hour 4 days a week, I could get the aged care diploma in 6 months.

It is a go at your own pace diploma that can be done in 6 months.

I will also start my degree in community development in September and also start volunteer work on the 27th of August as a phone crisis counsellor, it is a nationally accredited, 2500 dollar training program they give to you for 600.

I think the best thing for me is to finish the rest of my bachelors (in 2.5 years time), get volunteer experience in the field, and do my aged care diploma on the side INSTEAD Of getting a crappy student job.

This way, everything I put effort into is all tied in nicely; aged care is relevant to my community development degree as the elderly are one of the target groups my bachelors degree focuses on. And phone crisis counselling is also considered relevant work experience for my bachelors degree.

I may be offered a job tomorrow, part time only for 20 hours a week at 20 an hour, which is the same salary as aged care workers get here. It is taking care of two children aged 5 and 8 after school hours, which I consider relevant work experience as my degree is about working with all members of the community.

If I start my aged care certificate NOW, I can work really hard and get a lot of it out of the way by September, when my degree starts up again.....

If I don't get the job tomorrow I am going to just stop my job search, stick with event work that comes every so often, maybe join another event company or two and just focus on my studies. Event work is infrequent but it comes in bouts, you can earn thousands in busy periods, working both Fri and Saturdays for a month, only to not get work for months at a time.

• Author

My friend talked to me about a scheme he is involved with. You have to pay 300 to join.

It is a travel based company where they price match and offer the cheapest travel possible.

You get commission from telling friends about it and getting them to join, and you make less money, I think 200 per person who buys the travel package through you. Or something.

I am really not interested though. Screw paying 300 to join a company. I feel bad I feigned interest as my friend is right into it!

I will just direct people his way I think to try and help him get members to join.

My heart lies with helping people within the community so I want to just focus on that, on a path that will most likely result in employment (relevant volunteer work, a short diploma, my degree etc)

At my age is too late to do the prestigious degrees I once assumed I would go into and have the marks for. Best to work towards an area I love and get good at it one day. I can always strive to move up to management within the field I love which is low paid.

Honestly though, I get so much given to me from my mum (all skin products, hair care, etc) that I only need an 18 dollar an hour aged care job, full time, and I will be easily able to save towards my future, given I am welcome at home for as long as needed.

Plus everyone has commented that I would be good at aged care; my friends and family and people who first meet me have all commented that I am well suited.

Wish me luck. I am going to need it, but there is light at he end of the tunnel, degrees take years but diplomas do not.

Glinda.Good

Plus everyone has commented that I would be good at aged care; my friends and family and people who first meet me have all commented that I am well suited.

I do wish you luck, but I am sincerely concerned about your suitability to care for aged people. I took care of my mom at home at the end of her life. I know what it entails.

I also hired people to help me. You would not have made it a day. I'm not saying that to be mean, it's just the truth.

If you have a huge emotional reaction to a difficult toddler, I can only imagine how you'll deal with a grown up that may act that way. :(

• Like 1
  • Author
I do wish you luck, but I am sincerely concerned about your suitability to care for aged people. I took care of my mom at home at the end of her life. I know what it entails.

I also hired people to help me. You would not have made it a day. I'm not saying that to be mean, it's just the truth.

If you have a huge emotional reaction to a difficult toddler, I can only imagine how you'll deal with a grown up that may act that way. :(

I hate toddlers.

You have absolutely no idea how I would or wouldn't be able to tolerate other members of the community.

You don't know me at all. Plenty of audits hate toddlers but are very tolerant of others.

My dad works in aged care. I know exactly what it entails.

I only dislike toddlers. Not other community members.

Glinda.Good
I hate toddlers.

You have absolutely no idea how I would or wouldn't be able to tolerate other members of the community.

You don't know me at all. Plenty of audits hate toddlers but are very tolerant of others.

Leigh, I don't have to know you. As I said, I hired people to help me. I did not know them either. I would not have hired you if I knew your history with caring for kids, and if I did not know and I ended up hiring you, I would see within one day that you were ill suited.

An angry incontinent rude noncompliant old demented person has nothing on your "awful stupid brat," I assure you. And a lot of the elderly who need care are ill disposed to the care people from the start - they are not happy about their loss of self reliance. They can be extremely rude and insulting.

Care giving entails … caring. The person's needs are at the fore. The caregivers emotional reactions to the person have ZERO place in the equation.

If a care giver has a difficult client, whether they are a toddler or an aged person, their position is to figure out how to help that person, and to do so with maturity and compassion.

Reacting emotionally is not going to work.

Sure, someone may prefer to work with elders and not want to work with kids, but a person who "HATES" any segment of the population who cannot care for themselves and who need assistance is completely out of place in that field.

I'm sure you will not agree, but it's the truth. Why does it matter? Because it would behoove you to settle down, pursue your degree, finish it, and learn what you would be good at. Where you would be contributing in a valuable way to society while at the same time fulfilling yourself.

You don't need any more wild goose chasing rabbit hole dead ends. Truth.

I am not going to say anything more about this, but I hope you will actually consider what I have said rather than just starting to fight about it.

Best

• Like 10

Leigh, the $300 to join job is a good example of MLM. Any job that requires up front investment isn't worth it. These commission only jobs don't guarantee steady pay and aren't worth it unless you already have a regular salary. I'm glad you're in the position to be more choosy about your work. I didn't have any financial support all through college and worked all kinds of odd jobs to pay bills until finding a more "professional" job.

• Like 1
  • Author

You are missing the point.

I hate toddlers.. they are ONE subset of the community I hate.

I am an extremely compassionate person. Who happens to hate toddlers. They are awful and it doesn't mean not compassionate in general.

I worked with disabled adults when I was a child.. My parents got me to as they had a friend with a.severely disabled daughter. Let me tell you I know very well that there are people who will be very difficult.

Luckily, I know first hand from my dad that not all aged care clients are demented and throwing tantrums every day.

You clearly don't have a grasp on basic psych 101. I have done a few classes on it personally, and deep compassion has no bearing on whether or not you hate a certain group of people..

Many very compassionate people also cannot stand bad toddlers. They just hate being in the presence of bratty, annoying toddlers.

Quiet frankly, I am nicer, more generous and more.compassionate than most people. It is not my fault if you don't believe that.

Plus a fare fair few folks who know me BETTER than a stranger on the internet, all believe I am.the type of compassionate person needeed to deal with older clientele.

The health field is the only profession besides aged care that will yield a job.. And I don't want to spend two years re learning how to do math that us needed for nursing or health science ( I am good at chemistry though)

Aged care is the only way I will get a professional job anytime soon.

I am 100% sure I can do it well. You can do anything you put your mind to. I refuse to be my age without a professional a second longer. My bachelors will take too long so....gotta do a diploma now in conjunction.

People who know me comment that I am the most kind and compassionate person they know..

I think you are quiet silly. You do realise that people who care so greatly about the homeless as I.do are generally very compassionate? It is called caring for other people. Which doesn't mean you enjoy.Toddlers.

• Author

Every single person I meet including every single man I have ever dated have all said: Leigh 87, you are the most kind and compassionate person I know. Because you know, my area of passion is taking about how economics and.various government initiatives could help the homeless and low income and disadvantaged without making too big of a dent in the economy.

I think it's fitting that a kind person like myself who cares so much about other humans, would be well suited to taking care of people I like; I've always liked spending time with the older population.

If you don't believe all my friends and family who all remark that I am staggeringly kind generous and compassionate, then please take your opinion elswhere as it is not needed here..my friends, family and myself know better than strangers me level of basic human kindness and compassion.