Opportunities that have arisen in ONE DAY'S worth of job searching. Impressed.

I think it is bonkers to assume that hating toddlers means I am not compassionate or patient towards older Australians.

It is utterly ridiculous to assume things about me simply because I hated a toddler and his family for being tight asses and paying me less than half the Aussie minimum wage. People like that are disgusting. Those are MY values. They don't have to be yours, you can think people are totally normal and nice when they are the types of people who pay people within their own country less than half of what they legally should be getting. And no, even under the table it is still less than half what those who get minimum wage full time get WITH declaring tax. More than one agency has demanded I report her actually. They were also disgusted.

At a young age I had to care for a girl with severe cb, and I mean SEVERE. I saw what her mother went through as she couldn't afford a carer. I know the things I will have to deal with older Australians. I talked to many aged care practitioners and not ONE of them agreed that older people throw the same tantrums as toddlers. I hate toddlers in general, not just when they throw tantrums!

I very much like older Australians where as I dislike toddlers even when they don't throw tantrums. I just plain don't like toddlers. Where as I like older people and don't care even if they throw massive tantrums.

I have found in life that the groups of people I hate I cannot tolerate anything about; greedy people, people who are not kind or generous for instance. On the other hand, people I appreciate I can tolerate a LOT more from, I have tolerated bitch tantrums from women I like because I like them overall, even when they are totally unreasonable.

People are stupidly mistaking my dislike of toddlers, ALL toddlers, in general to mean that I am intolerant of MANY people of all ages which is not the case, and I am in fact very patient with others...

Plenty of carers I know of personally hate kids and toddlers. When people said my hatred of stupid toddlers was indicative of the level of compassion and tolerance I have towards OTHER subsets of Australians, all the carers I told this to laughed and thought it was absurd; two carers agreed that they cannot stand toddlers, hated kids, and yet would go above and BEYOND to help their disabled and older clients..............

I remember you mentioning in another thread that it was finances that keep you from having kids. But from what you said in this post, it is much more. You don't like kids at all and that said, should be the primary reason you decide to be childfree and that's fine. But I am helping you see here how it's not just lack of money. About the people that paid you less than minimum wage...yes it sucks, but unless there is some sort of labor board you can report it to, suck it up and move on. No sense dwelling on it. A valuable lesson learned (research research research) before accepting a position. Though since you mentioned that you hate little kids, I don't think a live in nanny job would be a good fit in the future. My friend did this in Germany. ..though she loves kids and you need to for those jobs.

Glinda.Good

Leigh, I would like to suggest that you take a few days off from

1) planning your future

2) hating toddlers

You are spinning out, can you recognize this? You are in no state of mind to make future plans.

Try to chill.

• Like 2
  • Author

I doubt law is a good option for me.

Frankly, I don't have the marks to do well as a lawyer. I am manipulative when I want to be and have certain qualities of a lawyer such as being good at lying LOL.

I only got 92% where as many law students got 98% or higher, and when they graduate law firms all want to know your high school score, your GPA, they are very fussy.

It seems like unless you academically EXCELLENT and up there with the best, a law career with be pretty fruitless. Seems like there are too many academically top of their game law students.

I can be smart but.... I am nowhere near the top tier, and it seems like nursing and aged care will ALWAYS be in demand, there are always sick people; where as law is.... not necessarily going to ne in demand, especially not that the scores to get INTO law are so LOW, that too many people seem to be studying law.

I have a lot to think about. Aged care/followed by nursing seems to be the way to go. I mean, I already have relevant volunteer work lined up?

• Author
Leigh, I would like to suggest that you take a few days off from

1) planning your future

2) hating toddlers

You are spinning out, can you recognize this? You are in no state of mind to make future plans.

Try to chill.

Well I don't appreciate your posts regarding me not being suited to aged care and the fact you supposedly think you could see me in the flesh and know I wasn't cut out. How offensive and stupid of you?

You don't know me at all. For all you know, I have loads of compassion and I can deal well with all groups of people besides toddlers.

For all you know I have a high threshold for tantrums and annoying personality quirks. From anyone besides 2 - 4 year olds.......

At my MATURE age, I need the best game plan possible. I have never been advised by professionals before, I always did my own thing.

Now I am doing a lot of research about the most promising looking careers and industries in my country, so that my decision will be solid, well informed and have the best chance of me actually succeeding.

Having work 'lined up' and doing it are two very different things. What do you have lined up that relates to elder care?

I suggest you volunteer at a nursing facility. You do realize a diploma only means you'll be doing dirty work? Emptying catheter bags, ostomy bags, changing adult diapers? Force feeding those who won't eat? Tube feedings? Wound care (bedsores down to the bone are not pretty)? Enemas? Make sure you volunteer during the evenings, so you can experience the phenomenon know as 'sundowning' (look it up). As an RN, I'm not exempt from the 'dirty work'. I've been bitten, kicked, scratched and pissed on.

And why would you consider law when it's basically a double degree - eight years of BS level courses?

You're all over the place again. Why did you miss the sign up for the second semester this year? What prompted you to give up on the social work before even getting into it? One toddler?

Whether it's healthcare, or social or legal work, you'll need to develop the skill to express your facts, thoughts and findings concisely. That might be a good place to start.

BTW, being manipulative and a liar are not generally accepted as 'good' qualities, and nothing to be proud of.

• Like 4
Glinda.Good
Well I don't appreciate your posts regarding me not being suited to aged care and the fact you supposedly think you could see me in the flesh and know I wasn't cut out. How offensive and stupid of you?

Leigh, take my word for it. I would know. People who hire other people have certain questions they ask and also use intuition.

You don't know me at all. For all you know, I have loads of compassion and I can deal well with all groups of people besides toddlers.

Leigh, I also have loads of compassion, but am I working with aged people? NO, I am not. Because I am not suited for it, besides, I don't want to.

For all you know I have a high threshold for tantrums and annoying personality quirks. From anyone besides 2 - 4 year olds...….

Can you not get it through your head that it is FINE that you don't want to work with toddlers … neither do I.

But, what is NOT fine, is your HATRED and OBSESSION with expressing it.

Huge red flag about your emotional stability, Leigh. It is completely inappropriate. A person who goes off like this in such an impassioned negative way is NOT someone who should be in the position to be caring for anybody.

I AM NOT SAYING YOU ARE NOT THE MOST LOVELY COMPASSIONATE ALTRUISTIC AFFABLE WOMAN IN THE WHOLE WORLD.

OK?

But, the fact that you say that you are all the time is also a thing you may want to look at. It's not appropriate, either.

Let your good qualities speak for themselves rather than boasting about them.

At my MATURE age, I need the best game plan possible. I have never been advised by professionals before, I always did my own thing.

The professional advice is a good idea.

Now I am doing a lot of research about the most promising looking careers and industries in my country, so that my decision will be solid, well informed and have the best chance of me actually succeeding.

At your mature age, Leigh, what you need more than anything is to learn how to settle down and stay with something. I hope your therapist or counsellor can help you with that.

• Like 1
  • Author
Didn't you already go through this decision process back when you initially chose to pursue the social work degree? I'm really confused about why you are now rehashing all of this same ground.

What has changed? You've talked endlessly about how much you wanted to go into social work and how great of a fit it was for you...and now you don't want to do it anymore? Why not?

It's not too late to get whatever degree you want to get and to pursue whatever career you want to pursue...but you have to make a decision, make a plan, and stick with it. If a career counselor will help you do that, great. You really just seem to be kicking the can down the road, though. You make a decision, do that for awhile, then change your mind, then lather, rinse, and repeat. Changing your mind again and again is only going to result in you being even further behind.

Well if I am going to study, things like nursing seem to have a higher starting salary and a higher earning potential than social work. I am interested in a few things that seem to look like they are in more demand than social workers are.

I never did any research into social work, I just knew it was a good fit for me insofar as what my strengths and weaknesses are. I genuinely enjoyed the courses of study a lot. It was never a chore.

THAT and any biology subjects other students tend to find quiet ehe challenge, were also never a chore for me. I remember things that interest me; funny I forget where I put things all the time, but when it comes to my body I am so interested in the things that lie within, that I remember every single organelle, cellular mechanism, different cells and how they all react to different triggers........

I don't want to be stuck on a low salary.

With social work, you are stuck on a crappy salary UNLESS you do a masters. Or you are most DEFINATELAY stuck on 40K as a new grad and on that you are bound to stay! Unless you are very good looking/have a fantastic personality/know someone/stillneedtoworkhard......

You don't need a masters with nursing to have roughly a 50K starting salary IF you have a simple to attain aged care diploma which can be obtained in mere months. This is the starting salary.

It seems nurses, the new grads, get slightly more than social work grads.

The health profession: wouldn't you agree that it has a lot more career prospects than social work?

Also - you can go and study later on in nursing if you want to study science more in depth and you have credits towards it already (from your nursing degree)

Social work is a great degree though and I did love it. I am just not very confident that it is a particularly booming sector of employment when compared to nursing and aged care.

I need to do what is best for my future. I like/am good at some science subjects, plus I already know I enjoyed the social work degree.

I may well STICK WITH THE CURRENT DEGREE, social work. Of which I have completed a year off already......

The only niggling issue with social work is: I feel I could be applying myself more towards a better career which more options.

If I was studying nursing I would feel like I had more options career wise, would get a job easier and have more longevity in my career.

• Author
Having work 'lined up' and doing it are two very different things. What do you have lined up that relates to elder care?

I suggest you volunteer at a nursing facility. You do realize a diploma only means you'll be doing dirty work? Emptying catheter bags, ostomy bags, changing adult diapers? Force feeding those who won't eat? Tube feedings? Wound care (bedsores down to the bone are not pretty)? Enemas? Make sure you volunteer during the evenings, so you can experience the phenomenon know as 'sundowning' (look it up). As an RN, I'm not exempt from the 'dirty work'. I've been bitten, kicked, scratched and pissed on.

And why would you consider law when it's basically a double degree - eight years of BS level courses?

You're all over the place again. Why did you miss the sign up for the second semester this year? What prompted you to give up on the social work before even getting into it? One toddler?

Whether it's healthcare, or social or legal work, you'll need to develop the skill to express your facts, thoughts and findings concisely. That might be a good place to start.

BTW, being manipulative and a liar are not generally accepted as 'good' qualities, and nothing to be proud of.

I know nursing and aged care is not pretty. I am not stupid. I do have friends you know. I talk to people. From around the world, be is here or overseas.

I have heard very well about what nursing entails.

I am not stupid enough to go into such a field without expecting to be crapped on, spat on, vomited on regularly.........

My love of science and helping people and my kind and generous nature are what drive me towards nursing; I have always liked supporting people in times of need. Hence the phone crisis counselling course I applied for and got accepted into.

Nursing and aged care is about SO much more than changing adult nappies and dealing with vomit every day.

I accept the bad parts of every career.

I have a father who has suffered heart attacks near me and who has vomited most nights whilst in my presence. I know illness isn't pretty I lived it from a young age due to having a critically ill father at a relatively young age... he was only 38...

I am not ignorant. You remarks are insulting. I have talked to people from all walks of life and yes I have asked MANY nurses and aged carers the world over what their job entails exactly!

Glinda.Good

9:54 a.m.:

I do not want to do a social work degree. Ever.

11:32 a.m.:

I may well STICK WITH THE CURRENT DEGREE, social work. Of which I have completed a year off already......

Leigh, look at these posts you made within 2 hours of each other.

Can you see that maybe you are not in the proper state of mind to be making important decisions?

Can you find something to do today that has nothing to do with any of this? Something that takes a lot of energy and maybe has other people involved?

I think you need to get out of your own head for a while.

• Like 1
  • Author

I plan on doing aged care this year and next year starting the nursing degree, which I already have a years worth of credits towards.

Since when I start my nursing degree I would have completed an aged care diploma already, I think it would be likely that, whilst doing a bachelor in nursing, I would get work in aged care since both fields are closely tied....

This is HYPOTHETICAL.

IF I go down the road of health.... It just seems a lot more promising career wise than Social Work. Both short and long term.

My suicide prevention course which will amount to me working as a phone crises counsellor would also be a really great thing to do in conjunction with a health related degree.

I mean it is either that or.... Social work? With Social work I would need to do a masters OR at LEAST a diploma in counselling or SOMETHING to make the social work degree better paid one day.

A social work degree alone is pretty low prospect unless you work your way up, network well and through sheer good luck. Most will stay on a low salary unless they have very good qualities....

A nursing degree alone (or with an aged care diploma) have a generally better starting salary than social work, is a growing industry and in fact, health is one of the most rapidly growing places in which to gain employment in.

At least with nursing I wouldn't have to go and obtain a masters just to get anywhere. I could but the nursing career in and of itself is promising enough without having to go and do further study.

Social work pretty much required further study in order to NOT be stuck on terrible pay.

Gotta way up cost versus benefit.

Can you simply compare and contrast phone counseling work with the physical labor I pointed out that is fundamental to aged care? Rather than hypothesizing?

• Like 1
  • Author
9:54 a.m.:

11:32 a.m.:

Leigh, look at these posts you made within 2 hours of each other.

Can you see that maybe you are not in the proper state of mind to be making important decisions?

Can you find something to do today that has nothing to do with any of this? Something that takes a lot of energy and maybe has other people involved?

I think you need to get out of your own head for a while.

Ok I start new job tomorrow at a decent pay that is way better than working in a crowded bar or café so I will just enjoy my new part time job for now and enjoy my boyfriend and try to see friends....

I will arrange a time NEXT week in which I can discuss my options with a professional career counsellor.

Until then I won't think or talk about it on here again.

I do still think nursing and aged care is a lot better of an option than social work and you would be surprised at how suited I could be, you just don't know I am not suited without actually knowing me personally.

I don't have any other options of a promising career besides say, nursing.

Law would be the only other option that I can technically get into and DOESNT involve caring for people. It also doesn't give me the chance to work at all as I wouldn't have a life during the degree.....

I don't have many options really. I need to look at the career path and associated degree that is; most likely to yield a job, and will amount to a salary that isn't abysmal and depressing. I don't want to be rolling in money but still, case work is depressing and I would need a masters or SOMETHING on top of it....

• Like 1
Can you simply compare and contrast phone counseling work with the physical labor I pointed out that is fundamental to aged care? Rather than hypothesizing?

My point is, you don't get to the 'so much more' part of aged care without being in the trenches. What exactly is 'so much more'? Pastoral care is about it.

• Author

Health is a burgeoning industry. Good choice to get jobs after graduating and maintain a career in the field since jobs seem to be in demand and always will be compared to many fields.

Aged care + phone crisis counselling (we do a course, nationally accredited, that teaches us about mental illness and maintaining optimal mental health practices)

They are both under the health umbrella. As is nursing.

I also care for people, am very compassionate and everyone that knows me best all say I would be suited to nursing or such...

Sometimes the blood and guts and hard work is worth career stability and longevity when many careers go through a lot more uncertainty. Nursing just seems more stable and well within my academic abilities to muster.

I will think more about it next week.

• Author
My point is, you don't get to the 'so much more' part of aged care without being in the trenches. What exactly is 'so much more'? Pastoral care is about it.

I live in Australia.

The aged care cert v and diploma grads do not spend most of their days changing adult diapers. They do just as many other activities with clients, such as driving them about, helping them with their shopping, reminding them of appointments, and so on and so fourth.

No one starting out in the field that I have spoken to spends a disproportionate amount of time changing nappies.

Not sure where you got that from.

Is a much more diverse career where I live based on people I know working in it?

I mean my dad cares for an 87 year old and he doesn't need to change his urine drip more than 3 times a day ever. Meaning more hours in the day are spent doing other things; cleaning, cooking, taking him out, talking with him.........

Granted, this man is very nice. He is just a great person and he is nice to deal with.. he isn't yelling at my father or throwing senior tantrums:lmao: but yes I know it happens a lot.

Just saying that it is not true that they make you spend the majority of your time working, dealing with poop, simply because you are starting out.

There's a huge difference between being an aide, or companion, and being a nurse, both in duties and salary.

I mistakenly thought you were taking about nursing. Sorry.

• Like 3

10:59AM

I hate toddlers because there is just something about them IN GENERAL I dislike immensely.

11:21AM

I should probably clarify: I don't hate ALL toddlers that much.

I hated the family I lived with, they were stingy, tight ass and not ethical in their practices. I think they are bad people with low morals. They talk down to others which I hate in people.

I loved a few toddlers I cared for.

HUH?

Disliking some toddlers because of the way they were raised is totally different than just hating babies and toddlers in general. Anyways, take it from someone who studied nursing that the money isn't everything. What some of the other posters said are very true, you will be doing the "dirty work" for awhile before getting into the specialty or nursing department you want. You will also deal with ALL KINDS of people, babies, kids, elders etc and you need to be ready for it. You have to have the patience of a saint when patients scream at you or take their day out on you or other dirty details others have mentioned. That said, is why I decided nursing was not for me. Sure it's a steady, good paying field of work, but it takes a LOT of stamina and patience. And yes, you will be doing all the dirty stuff in the beginning. Changing depends, bathing and other dirty stuff as someone else mentioned.

• Like 2
10:59AM

11:21AM

HUH?

Disliking some toddlers because of the way they were raised is totally different than just hating babies and toddlers in general. Anyways, take it from someone who studied nursing that the money isn't everything. What some of the other posters said are very true, you will be doing the "dirty work" for awhile before getting into the specialty or nursing department you want. You will also deal with ALL KINDS of people, babies, kids, elders etc and you need to be ready for it. You have to have the patience of a saint when patients scream at you or take their day out on you or other dirty details others have mentioned. That said, is why I decided nursing was not for me. Sure it's a steady, good paying field of work, but it takes a LOT of stamina and patience. And yes, you will be doing all the dirty stuff in the beginning. Changing depends, bathing and other dirty stuff as someone else mentioned.

Not to mention it is a profession with a high rate of burnout. A lot of qualified nurses quit nursing within 10/15 years because the stress is so high.

The long hours, the night shifts, people dying left right and centre... It can be quite taxing.

One of my best friends is a nurse. She's 30. I've heard her talk about finding something else to do more times than I can count.

• Like 3

Hi Leigh,

Every time you ask a question and it is answered by a host of regular posters you never answer.

You write the same things. We all know your views on how you see `earnings` etc...

But if you ask `what do you think guys` and we answer you feel its an attack. We can only reply to what you ask. You keep changing what you want to do. Work, study or both????

I hate to tell you that a tantrum by a terminally sick man is far more, far more distressing than a `toddler`. And i hope you don`t come back with a retort that you know all this. I think you don`t and yes i do not know you if i am wrong i apologise.

I do not think health or social work will not be your thing, just because it is a growth industry does not mean the cash will be big. If anything the opposite. Many skilled and qualified workers will come from overseas and push down the salaries. Which is how the world works and thank god!

Please check out humanities degrees, you may be surprised. Nearly every thread you make is the same. Start listening to the very well meaning people here. I don`t always agree on other threads with them but they are still here fighting your corner Leigh.

Take care

Haydn

Eternal Sunshine

Taking care of ill older people is not easy. I chose to take care of my mum short term and cleaning urine, feces and vomit on daily basis was tough. No way would I be able to do it for a stranger. I just don't think you realize what you are getting yourself into.

I would also forget law, you already said you don't like it and it will take a lot of persistence and dedication. It's also not easy to do with something you dislike from the outset.

I think you should make a decision, like getting a youth work degree for example and then tell yourself to stop thinking about your career and school. Start thinking again as you are about to graduate.

Make a decision - put it in action - stay the course.

• Like 5
  • Author

There is only: social work or social science majoring in welfare.. Or, a bachelor of arts in communkty development.

You are forgetting that I did well enough in school to not have to settle for a law paying social work job with no hope of carer stability or progression short of doing a masters....

Nursing is tough But it offers carer stability, a highly enough income to saved for a rainy day and I do genuinly like science.

I honestly dont see a butter ootion. Do you?

I need to aim for a sector where there are actually jobs and wage is abkve that of just getting a job as a retail assistant....... It has to be promising enough to actually earn savings.......

• Author

Honestly why get a degree when it incurrs really debt, when you arent earning more that a bachelor worker, food seven or retail assistant????????

I at least need to study a challenging enough degree to get anywhere in love without being hopelessly poor with no property of ever saving for anything at all. Such as a family or overseas travel once every rare occassion.

Sometimes you have to aim for job security and financially stability overseas an " easily" job where you earn near minunim wage and have no hope of ever saving for a rainy day or for things like occassional overseas travel ( which many nurses afford security and occassional luxuries)

Honestly besides nursing there is no hope for me really. What other really employable field is there where I wont be pepetually low income for most of my like???????????

A Bachelor worker? I take it you mean degree. Done very very well with mine.

Thought everyone aimed for this??

Leigh how long have you actually held down a job? What is the longest you have worked for?

Honestly why get a degree when it incurrs really debt, when you arent earning more that a bachelor worker, food seven or retail assistant????????

I at least need to study a challenging enough degree to get anywhere in love without being hopelessly poor with no property of ever saving for anything at all. Such as a family or overseas travel once every rare occassion.

Sometimes you have to aim for job security and financially stability overseas an " easily" job where you earn near minunim wage and have no hope of ever saving for a rainy day or for things like occassional overseas travel ( which many nurses afford security and occassional luxuries)

Honestly besides nursing there is no hope for me really. What other really employable field is there where I wont be pepetually low income for most of my like???????????

Ugh, this is like watching the Germany vs Brazil game all over again. Going from bad to worst yet nothing you can do to stop it. :(

Leigh it is obvious that making a certain amount of money is important to you. That was sort of a given from your past posts, expensive bags, wanting to travel, cosmetic surgery, etc. And that is fine, but realize it yourself that is your current driving force. You don't have to work in the health field in order to help other people. There are many ways you can help through volunteering, donations, etc.

Look in my profiles for a thread I made a while back, something with the title of "Turning my back on the rest of the world". It is a perfect example of what I could have been, but I decided on another path in life. Read it and all the other posts in that thread. Nursing is not for you, based on what you have posted. You think that nanny job you had was bad? You can't even imagine how much crap nurses deal with. And I don't mean in regards to hard patients. The hours, workload, and pay structures are not pleasent either. 30 minute lunch for 12 hours of work, which you typically have to work during, and your breaks. Having to "fix" your clock ins so you don't get in trouble for clocking out too late or incorrectly.

And lets not forget the doctors. You will be yelled at and belittled by them on regular basis, since they "know better" and somehow you are suppose to be a mind reader and shouldn't be bothering them on calls you are required to get a doctor's approval on. I know all this because my wife is a nurse and I have first hand shadowing experience in hospitals of over a year. I could never be a nurse, even if the job paid half a million a year, and I honestly can't see you sticking to it at all.

• Like 4

There are a lot of employable fields with good incomes, but you seem dead set against anything that requires math, so that is really limiting you.

I glanced back through some of your old threads and you went through this exact career analysis from around October 2012 through December 2012. You seemed certain that social work was the right field for you and that 50k a year would be plenty of money to allow you to save up for some occasional overseas travel. You even suggested that you could work at a bar a few nights a week for extra income. Obviously if you really hate social work you should find another career to pursue, but at some point you really need to make a decision and stick with it.

• Like 4