Opportunities that have arisen in ONE DAY'S worth of job searching. Impressed.

• Author

I could go into health research.

Anything health related seems promising.

I AM going to do math, I went down the road of the social science and social work degrees and frankly, I was just not motivated since a retail worker earns as much. You NEED a masters in social science to have ANY hope.

I would skip math for the first year and then get math tutoring for year one of a science related degree; do math second year with the appropriate preparation, I need MORE than a mere bridging course.....

I am totally not sure I am going to wait for next week to even think clearly about it, these are just some ideas I am throwing around, still have no serious idea what is best for me at this stage....

• Author

In Australia I heard science degrees are more worthless than arts degrees UNLESS you go on and get a masters and a PHD...

Only the true talents in science actually get decently paid apparently.

Come on guys I got 92%, I am clearly not a brainiest BUT I am SURE I can gain entrance into a degree that actually has good prospects even if it means math tutoring.

Would never do a math orientated degree but am deff wiling to do a year of math.

• Author

I do not hate social work I just am uncertain about the prospects and it seems a retail worker gets nearly as much. Case workers start on 40K and I am not sure if they actually progress without further qualifications such as a masters.

Surely with semi decent marks to gain entrance into a whole host of degrees, I believe I should think twice before committing to social work for years... it is an honours degree after all and takes 4 years.

TigerLilly78

You only seam to be concerned about the money but that rarely works long term you need to think about what field will also make you happy ive known people who work this or that job they make good money but are not happy..what would make you happy Leigh? take a break and really think about that..

• Like 2
  • Author
You only seam to be concerned about the money but that rarely works long term you need to think about what field will also make you happy ive known people who work this or that job they make good money but are not happy..what would make you happy Leigh? take a break and really think about that..

I don't need a lot of money.

I just do not want to be stuck in a poorly paid job for many years. I would rather have the best chance to be secure, not rich.

I would be happy with a 50K job but I would want the chance of progressing if I so chose to... And the chance to earn more

I just need a secure field of work; and a degree that is the most likely, when compared to other degrees, to have an average rather than poor starting salary and actually have a lot of scope in which to work with.

The thing is, I like plenty of things! I am average at ANYTHING meaning I am not geared strongly towards essays OR sciences, but I have my things I am good at such as memorizing complex biology AND occasionally I write good essays if I work hard.

Leigh, remember that a college degree doesn't always equal great pay. The market is terrible. Jobs are hard to come by unless you have a lot of experience. If you want to be guaranteed a good salary right away, look into professions in demand aside from nursing. There is a lot you can do with just a 2 year degree or certification.

• Author

I am the type of person who can get great marks at anything I work hard at. I am average at everything with higher than average elements in some essay or written tasks and also some science based.

I believe I should chat to the career guide on Money. I have an appointmemt then.

I will be asking what is the best path based in the career that are the most in demand.

I dont need lots or money I want to get into a field with the higher rates of job security that I can manage to study and succeed at.

The career guide is apparantly brutally honest and has no better International to.well degree.

Edited by Leigh 87
  • Author

The career counsellor has no vested Interests. Their job is to stop students wasting money on the wrong degree.

I am going to tell them: I want to enter into a degree that is one of the more in demand degree into the foreseeable future, as well as a degree that has one of The better rates of job security when company to other degree and resulting fields of work. Also, a degree that isnt out of The realm of what is realistic for me excell at.

I also enjoy biomedical type of science ( cells, viruses anything medical to do with the body) dont like chemistry but dont hate it and can do it well if I work hard. Essay are meh something I am good at when I truly hard.

Honestly I get based of pure essay such as in social work and social sciencs and prefer a bqlance of science and written assignments and essay.

It would be ideal if: the degree had a mix of essay, but, a teeny but of chemistry, no hard math beyond state and basics. AND with good career prospects and stability for new grad in an IN DEMAND field of work that isnt near impossible to get a position in..........

• Author

Something to consider.

I am very much into fashion and styling and wont a lot of art prizes as a young child. The head masters would personally asking me for me to draw him pictures to put inside his offive. I got As in art in high school.

Does having a great eye for style and interiors sound like it could provide a career with stability or security?

Edited by Leigh 87

Does having a great eye for style and interiors sound like it could provide a career with stability or security?

No, the majority of stylists are self employed and work for extended periods for free to get experience. Most work is on a short term basis (eg one day shoots) and fixed daily rate. If you spend a week sourcing for a one day shoot and two days returning for very little then too bad, your clients don't care about minimum wage.

Research is also soft funded with very little job security.

• Like 3

I am studying nursing! I enjoy it so far but it's not as easy as you think. I've already had to clean up poo, vomit and have seen someone die in an aged care facility while I was doing practical study. Are you sure you can handle that?

• Like 1
  • Author
There is tons of work in biomedical science if you want to go that route...

FOR REAL.

That was the only subject I LOVED in food science.

I remembered everything; everyone else failed:lmao:

NO idea why, I am not that bright just he typical gal who can do well when I put the work in?

• Like 1
  • Author

I want a science based degree with a BIT of essay writing, not hard math but moderate and plenty of bio/cells/anything to do with the body.

I hate physics.

I am looking up biomedical now. Within my Uni I will attend...

• Author

Are you interested in finding out how the human body works? If you have an inquiring mind and a thirst for science, a Bachelor of Biomedical Science at the University of Newcastle is for you

Assumed Knowledge

A strong background in the basic sciences including mathematics, chemistry, physics and biology would be an advantage

I strongly think I should chat about this degree with my career counsellor Monday.

I got high distinctions in BIO and CHEMISTRY, but I am not great at physics or math but I never really tried.

As a child I was in the advanced/top of my class math groups so perhaps if I get math and physics tutoring, I can do biomedical?

I like writing but I would MUCH prefer to read a textbook, learn formulas, and NOT have to write 5000 work essays for a change.

In terms of my passions, I am more passionate about any science that I feel relates to the body, than I am about social work and the many essays it entails.

I always ruled out a science based degree because I hadn't done math for many many years.

• Author

You will gain 'career-ready' skills in our purpose built laboratories and graduate well prepared to collaborate on scientific investigations of human structure and function in health and disease at a molecular, cellular and whole systems level

Wow. I am literally frothing at the mouth.

I always entered into "safe" degrees that would be easy and were about "helping people".

A degree like this that I feel passion and fire towards I ruled out due to having to do math. I assumed I was hopeless and couldn't do it. Without actually trying.....

A little like relationships; social work or social science or community development were nice and easy degrees, were all about helping people and were noble.

They didn't light my academic fire but they were a safe bet and I did enjoy spending time doing the subjects.

Does this make sense to you all?

Eternal Sunshine

I think you are holding yourself back because you have this irrational fear of maths. Most of the degrees you mention require only a basic level of maths and even then, all you need to get is 50%. It won't screw up your average if you get high marks in other subjects.

I have worked with students that have this anxiety and that are actually more capable than they think. You shouldn't dismiss degrees because they require some maths and don't think that you need a year of hard core tutoring just to pass.

• Like 1
  • Author
I think you are holding yourself back because you have this irrational fear of maths. Most of the degrees you mention require only a basic level of maths and even then, all you need to get is 50%. It won't screw up your average if you get high marks in other subjects.

I have worked with students that have this anxiety and that are actually more capable than they think. You shouldn't dismiss degrees because they require some maths and don't think that you need a year of hard core tutoring just to pass.

The most rewarding and personally fulfilling degree I have attempted was food science and human nutrition; at the time I was anorexic and was sick of food and anything food related.

I assumed I could just walk in and do the math and was sadly mistaken when I couldn't just slack off and pass.

I never recovered and assumed I was horrible at math.

FACT: for my HSC I studied from morning until night, hired a REMAKABLE science tutor, and got High Distinctions (literally all high D's), in BIOLOGY and CHEMISTRY.

Fact: I have NEVER DONE math or physics past a year 9 or ten level.

Hence why years later it is interesting, challenging and very daunting to re learn crap I NEVER knew I would have to touch again..........

• Author

At this stage I know I am not passionate about Social work, Law and anything that involves mostly essay writing.

I am passionate about: biomedical subjects, food science and human nutrition subjects (if you go on and do pharmacy you earn a mint)

BUT again, I always assumed only nerds and gifted scientists could get anywhere in college level science.......

Assumed Knowledge

A strong background in the basic sciences including mathematics, chemistry, physics and biology would be an advantage

Please be sure you are being realistic. Above you posted how much you hate physics. You've also gone off numerous times about how much you hate math.

Find out exactly what science and math courses you need to take to get this degree so you don't get in over your head.

You are buying way too much into the description of the degree. All degrees, no matter what they are, are going to be made to sound really good and promising. You are not going to find a degree that says:

"Looking for a degree with a limited market, below average pay, and requiring you to relocate great distances? Well degree Y is perfect for you"

A bachelor's degree is not going to cut it in any "real" science, especially not biomedical science. Even a master's a lot of time won't be enough, typically a Ph. D is what is required, and those are already flooding the market. At best with a bachelor's degree, you could get a job as a lab assistant doing grunt work with very little pay.

One degree that might actually fit you since you seem to be leaning towards the biology field is something in kinesiology, the science of human mechanics. More specifically, you could aim to become a physical therapist, which does have very good pay. However, at least in the US, you need at least a Master's in the degree, not sure how it works in AU.

• Like 3

I like writing but I would MUCH prefer to read a textbook, learn formulas, and NOT have to write 5000 work essays for a change.

Don't assume too much on how you will be assessed on these degrees. Simply reading textbooks and learning formulae is way too basic. You will need to demonstrate real understanding and the ability to apply that knowledge. Essays may crop up far more than you realise.

I have to ask Leigh, and I do think this is important especially to future employers (and colleges). What is the longest you have ever held a job for? How many have you left after just a month? Out of all the courses you have started, how many have you actually successfully completed?

My concern, and others here share this concern, is that you are all over the place changing your mind about what you want to do, what you like or don't lie, etc. in real life, people will have these concerns about you too and may see you as unreliable or flaky even. You need to settle on something and stick with it.

• Like 1
Don't assume too much on how you will be assessed on these degrees. Simply reading textbooks and learning formulae is way too basic. You will need to demonstrate real understanding and the ability to apply that knowledge. Essays may crop up far more than you realise.

I have to ask Leigh, and I do think this is important especially to future employers (and colleges). What is the longest you have ever held a job for? How many have you left after just a month? Out of all the courses you have started, how many have you actually successfully completed?

My concern, and others here share this concern, is that you are all over the place changing your mind about what you want to do, what you like or don't lie, etc. in real life, people will have these concerns about you too and may see you as unreliable or flaky even. You need to settle on something and stick with it.

I agree. My longest at a job is actually about 2 years and one month. The shortest job I've had if you do not include seasonal and freelance work is 3 months and that's because they laid me off, otherwise I'd still be there today.

How many degree courses have you started?

If pay and job security is important the you need to look at what you will do with a biomedical science degree. Many do it as their undergrad before applying to medicine, some want to go into research and higher degrees. Plenty end up working in generic government jobs.

I don't agree that the is heaps of work in the biomedical sciences. Most of it requires specific skills or techniques if you don't have a phd that you would have needed to focus on in your undergrad. It is also ALL short term contract. There are very few ongoing funded jobs in science. I used to manage an institute and our support staff for core facility's were funded year to year, three years at the most depending on infrastructure funding.

It is highly specific and highly mobile work