America has a problem. How much bigger will we get?

They don't sell just ordinary fresh produce like potatoes, carrots, leak, corn, onions, garlick, herbs, mushrooms, eggs?

oh they do but it is bad quality. From what I found. Almost expired milk. old lettuce.

I rather pay more for better quality. I compensate by making my own soup, baked goods, most of our meals are made at home etc.. In the summer I go to farmers markets.

Now I have the ability to buy better quality food. When I was younger I couldn't afford it. I was also at my heaviest than. So go figure.

• Like 2
They don't sell just ordinary fresh produce like potatoes, carrots, leak, corn, onions, garlick, herbs, mushrooms, eggs?

It isn't good quality at my local Walmart. It just doesn't look fresh.

I think the company is too big and too low-cost driven to provide good quality.

• Like 1
Food is more expensive is some regions of the US than in others. Even at the cheapest food stores in both cities, food will be more expensive in one city than in another.

I'll vouch for this. It's amazing how much food prices can vary depending on where you are.

To top matters off, food prices across the board seem to be SKYROCKETING as fuel prices/corn prices continue to climb. Beef prices are ridiculous.

All the while, many Americans continue to battle with pay cuts/freezes due to the economy.

I still think that if one REALLY wants to, they can eat more cheaply using healthy foods than going out to eat for fast food. Rice and beans are cheap and filling. There are fattier cuts of meat (chicken thighs, for example) that are pretty cheap. Collard greens and chard are a cheap source of fiber/micronutrients.

The problem is that this doesn't allow for a whole lot of variation, and most people do not have the self control to stick to such basic ingredients that take a fair level of labor and time to prepare.

To me, the convenience and relative tastiness of fast food, in addition to its modest price, is where the argument that eating healthy can be cheaper unravels. The equation is more complicated than simple dollars and cents. One also has to take into account human behavior.

While it's true that people have survived and even thrived on much less over the years, I would argue that this fact tends to be driven by an absence of alternative (i.e. fast food) options for these people.

I'm not trying to make anyone out to be a victim here or play into a "blame the system" mentality. I still think that individuals ultimately hold the responsibility. That said, I think taking a step back and looking at the operating environment should be part of the discussion.

• Like 4
amaysngrace

Well tman, if we're gonna go there, lets look at how it's actually cheaper to eat healthy because of health related illness. And I think it was once proven that overweight people don't get paid as much as fit people do, I'm not sure if that is still true but appearance does matter or at least use to.

So eating bad foods may be cheap for today but will cost much more in the long run.

That's why I don't understand why our Congress would allow our children to eat pizza and call that a vegetable. It's pure stupidity.

• Like 3

To me, the convenience and relative tastiness of fast food, in addition to its modest price, is where the argument that eating healthy can be cheaper unravels. The equation is more complicated than simple dollars and cents. One also has to take into account human behavior.

While it's true that people have survived and even thrived on much less over the years, I would argue that this fact tends to be driven by an absence of alternative (i.e. fast food) options for these people.

I'm not trying to make anyone out to be a victim here or play into a "blame the system" mentality. I still think that individuals ultimately hold the responsibility. That said, I think taking a step back and looking at the operating environment should be part of the discussion.

Except I got used to fresh food so much so that fast food tastes too salty. I have take-away at lunchtime (since I can't cook at work and can't survive on sandwiches) but it's sushi/chicken/rice kind of thing not salty/fatty. I think when you get used to cooking from fresh ingredients you find junk food taste horrible. That's my experience.

• Like 2
Except I got used to fresh food so much so that fast food tastes too salty. I have take-away at lunchtime (since I can't cook at work and can't survive on sandwiches) but it's sushi/chicken/rice kind of thing not salty/fatty. I think when you get used to cooking from fresh ingredients you find junk food taste horrible. That's my experience.

It either tastes like salt or sugar. After eating well for a while you realise how much sugar they put in just about anything.

• Like 1

Haha I can't stand fast food, or most restaurant food for that matter, due to the high grease/salt load. It makes me feel terrible.

My point isn't to defend fast food here. I'm just saying that we live in a world where poor decisions are easier to make than good ones. This seems to be perpetuated by large corporations and even our own government. BUT, I think that the individual ultimately gets to decide for themselves, and that individual decisions shape the greater perception and the culture as a whole.

• Like 3
Yes, even at Walmart, the price varies by region. Some things, like milk, are regulated by the state.
IIRC, there are federal regulations setting milk prices based on geography. It all depends on how far the milk is from Eau Claire, Wisconsin!!! (no, I'm not making that up)

Dinner tonight was:

A potato: $0.50

0.5 lb. of carrots: $0.50

Leftover lamb: Technically, it was free because it was leftovers from dinner at my sister's, but let's say it's about $3.00

An apple with cinnamon: $.75

Salt, pepper, olive oil, spices, a little onion: $0.25

That's about $5.00 for a huge dinner (and the meat was the only pricey part).

As we've read in just this thread, there are plenty of suggestions for cheap, healthful food. People want excuses for getting and staying fat. I say let them. The rest of us will look so much better by comparison.

• Like 2
As we've read in just this thread, there are plenty of suggestions for cheap, healthful food. People want excuses for getting and staying fat. I say let them. The rest of us will look so much better by comparison.

You know you are right. Im fit but I dont really bust my ass or anything (maybe once in awhile) or starve myself. The more % of women and men that become overweight, the higher value the remaining thin ones will have. Sounds awful buts its true

• Like 1
You know you are right. Im fit but I dont really bust my ass or anything (maybe once in awhile) or starve myself. The more % of women and men that become overweight, the higher value the remaining thin ones will have. Sounds awful buts its true

unfortunately, where i live the obesity is rampant and my size is considered 'too skinny'. thing is, i've got an athletic build, and am definitely NOT skinny! sick and tired of getting comments about 'having to eat more' :mad:

so yeah - by comparison people that look after themselves are the odd ones out and everyone seems to have the right to comment on their size. if i dared to do the same with an overweight person though... don't even dare to think of the consequences ...