America has a problem. How much bigger will we get?

That post and the other one about eating 2 Whoppers per day just underscore the point that it's not about health but about appearance. Yes, you can be thin if all you eat is 2 Whoppers per day, but do that for 5 years and get back to me on what your vitals and bloodwork look like.

Probably a lot better than eating five Whoppers a day! That was his point. Just because you are poor doesn't mean you have to eat a lot of crappy food.

• Like 1
Why is the assumption that poor people are stupid? They aren't, they know rice and beans is as cheap as fast food or even cheaper, people just want what tastes good. Rich people too. The assumption "poor people are too stupid to know what to buy" is really offensive.

People are lazy and crave the salt and preservatives pumped into s.hitty food. I can barely stand grocery shopping at regular stores, peoples carts make me want to puke.

The assumption isn't that poor people are stupid, the assumption is that people from lower socio-economic backgrounds don't tend to eat as well as those from higher socio-economic backgrounds. There are lots of reasons for this, education is one, learned helplesness and relying on authority/the state/others to tell them what to do is another. In the UK there is a culture of dependency.

When I referred to people in my post as 'lazy and stupid' I meant everyone who don't wish to educate themselves and allow themselves to get caught up in a vicious circle (obviously excluding anyone with mental illness). Taking responsibility for your life should be a basic requirement. It does happen more in socio-economic circles where people rely on state hand outs though. When you work for a living there is certain pressure on you to look good for example. That kind of expectation helps IMO

• Like 1
Wow, a few comments I would love to make.

1. Poor people are not unaware of the difference between healthier diet and poor diet. "Poor" people buy what is most accessible and within their budget.

Given the FACT that the middle class and upper class are also open to eating poorly, it really has less to do with knowledge than other society norms/culture.

I really don't think eating well is more expensive than eating poorly. Eating poorly is a choice.

• Like 3
This is a repost of something I said in another thread.

Wow....Americans really have no grasp of healthy eating or fitness if some Americans think you need to starve yourself or take diet pills in order to be a more healthy weight. I hear people constantly talk about how the media makes us this we need extreme diets and to be unrealistically thin....huh?

As someone said in another thread, for a country thats supposedly so "obsessed" with being thin, why is our nation so overweight?

Sorry, but this isnt about hollywood expectations...especially when you consider the fact that most Americans ignore Hollywood and are big despite what the media thinks. Climbing obesity rates, heart disease and diabetes rates dont seem to phase people. They still yammer on about Hollywood standards.

Americans have gotten bigger over the last two generations, and its largely down to poor diet and low physical activity. Stats will show you this change in weight, diet, and physical activity.

Anyone whos eating a healthy diet and exercising regularly will have no trouble staying a trim healthy weight. This idea that we have to starve ourself for "unrealistic hollywood standards" is hogwash. The idea that the size of people we see on tv or the movies is "unrealistic" is hogwash too. All of our so called "stars" would be considered a healthy, fit and trim weight anywhere else in the Western world or East Asia.

Yet we as Americans have gotten so big, and so insecure about weight and health, that we consider a slim healthy build "unrealistic" and that it takes "extreme" diets and workouts to get there. Does no one see the problem here? Im not trying to put down overweight folks. Im trying to draw attention to a problem in America. We merely accept this unhealthy lifestyle and its killing us and our young people.

Why the hell does the first lady need to get involved in order for some parents to wake up to this too?

What you're saying is correct, but I have to add a couple of points:

1. I don't think it's an American problem. It's global. I see people getting fatter and fatter over here in Belgium and all through Europe. It's not just in America.

2. Obesity does not rule out an unrealistic fitness idea. The way I see it the USA have always been a country of extremes. You get obesity, you get obsessed fitness models.

Take Crossfit for example. It's cool and fun and all, but it's also a bit extreme. It's not necessary to do Crossfit to be in a good enough shape.

I do agree with you that in general the Hollywood stars are just healthy and not starved at all. Starved people are not considered sexy. The job of the stars is to be sexy. Hence they will not look starved.

I really don't think eating well is more expensive than eating poorly. Eating poorly is a choice.

Think again. Study after study has shown that eating well is not only more expensive, but also that the higher economic classes eat better. It's the poor who eat poorly.

Think again. Study after study has shown that eating well is not only more expensive, but also that the higher economic classes eat better. It's the poor who eat poorly.

Perhaps you wish to re-read my posts and think again yourself? Unlike you, I am speaking from experience. I live in a lower socio-economic area and I know exactly how much food costs at a fast food chain and how much fresh food costs in my rather large local supermarket.

Unlike you, I don't sit in mummy's office serving rich clients all day ;) I actually have real life experiences.

• Like 1
Perhaps you wish to re-read my posts and think again yourself? Unlike you, I am speaking from experience. I live in a lower socio-economic area and I know exactly how much food costs at a fast food chain and how much fresh food costs in my rather large local supermarket.

Unlike you, I don't sit in mummy's office serving rich clients all day ;) I actually have real life experiences.

Mummy's office? I work in a law firm. My mom's a doctor. Not sure how we could be in the same office. And rich clients? I think you don't know what being a lawyer entails.

I'm not just talking about fast food. Sugared food is often more expensive (and addictive) than healthy food. Furthermore fastfood is dirt cheap in the USA. It probably is cheaper than cooking yourself.

And before you go on and on about how lawyers are filthy reach and only deal with well off people:

In Belgium you earn very little in your starting years, you give a lot of that money to the State, and you are obliged to do immigration law. Not exactly the clients you are talking about.

I don't know about other countries but in America it is definitely more expensive to eat well than to eat crap thanks to our government.

For a Healthier Country, Overhaul Farm Subsidies: Scientific American

Yeah, but Emilia chooses to overlook that fact. Blatantly ignoring every study that there has ever been about the subject.

The poor eat poorly. I guess she's saying that being poor is a choice.

amaysngrace
Yeah, but Emilia chooses to overlook that fact. Blatantly ignoring every study that there has ever been about the subject.

The poor eat poorly. I guess she's saying that being poor is a choice.

No I don't think that at all. I don't know what social issues are pressing in other countries and why things are the way they are.

Things could be very different where somebody else lives compared to how things are here.

I believe Em's primary interests in other countries extend to air fare and traveling accommodations....that lucky gal! :love:

• Like 1

I believe Em's primary interests in other countries extend to air fare and traveling accommodations....that lucky gal! :love:

:D not very far from the truth

• Like 1
Oh and let's not forget that Congress considers pizza a "vegetable" for the purpose of being able to offer it as part of the school lunch program.

Um....okay? :confused:

Obviously with the confused emoticon. They didn't say pizza was a vegetable. They said they could count the tomato paste as a vegetable.

Which in itself is kind of silly. But they are trying to keep government from pushing what they think kids should eat down their throats.

Sorry, you take away EVERYTHING kids like to eat, then they simply won't eat school lunch any longer. They'll bring it from home.

Its admirable to raise the nutrition standards for school lunches. And in general, I support that.

But its starting to get ridiculous.

amaysngrace
Obviously with the confused emoticon. They didn't say pizza was a vegetable. They said they could count the tomato paste as a vegetable.

Which in itself is kind of silly. But they are trying to keep government from pushing what they think kids should eat down their throats.

Sorry, you take away EVERYTHING kids like to eat, then they simply won't eat school lunch any longer. They'll bring it from home.

Its admirable to raise the nutrition standards for school lunches. And in general, I support that.

But its starting to get ridiculous.

So the government having a say in what foods they provide is ridiculous?

What about the findings that the foods they fight to keep help to contribute to our nation's growing obesity and diabetes problem?

In fact, eating poorly is much less expensive than eating healthy. Of course anyone can see that by going to a supermarket and trying to buy fresh compared to processed.

Studies clearly show that processed, poorer quality food tends to be cheaper. My study over the next few months and recent preliminary studies, research and past research shows this.

This is not to say that eating "healthier" is not possible for the poor, rather, more difficult.

Probably a lot better than eating five Whoppers a day! That was his point. Just because you are poor doesn't mean you have to eat a lot of crappy food.

I wish I can spend enough money to buy 5 Whoopers a Day.

That's $15-$20 a day. I don't even have enough money to pull that off.

If I go to a McDonald's, I'm sticking to the dollar menu. Their food is not that good to justify that much cash to be dropped.

Unfortunately, I can't say the same for my mother. There is a reason why she is 280 pounds for the past decade.

Mme. Chaucer
In fact, eating poorly is much less expensive than eating healthy. Of course anyone can see that by going to a supermarket and trying to buy fresh compared to processed.

When I was poor, I shopped at the "canned food store" where they sold damaged canned goods for cheap. All processed.

This is not to say that eating "healthier" is not possible for the poor, rather, more difficult.

It is more difficult. During my poor time, I still was basically a person with "first world problems." I came from an upper middle class family. I was a college graduate. Etc. But I was well aware that it was easier to eat macaroni and cheese or top ramen than to look for fresh, good food every time.

A lot of the 3rd, 4th and even further generation people living under the poverty line near where I now reside are not even in the mindset of looking for healthier choices. That is NOT to imply that they're "too stupid," which is not what I think at all. They just are not predisposed in that direction, because of their family cultures, in many instances.

When some of them improve their socioeconomic status, they STILL reach for the Big Mac instead of a salad. Obviously. Or we would not have so many fast food opportunities and sugar laden foods to buy at the stores. We have them because people buy them!

My core point is this: An individual who has an unhealthy relationship with food, no matter what that may be, needs to have an internal change in order to address it.

It's not as simple as "stop eating junk food, you're fat, be healthy." It's just not.

• Like 2

Also, "the poor" aren't all identical.

I always like to snoop and look at other people's baskets when I'm in the store. There are a lot of Asian and Mexican immigrants in my neighborhood and most of their baskets are full of piles of fresh veggies, fresh meat, rice, beans, and other healthy foods. Sometimes I feel guilty when I compare their carts to mine! (And they're 'poor' because most of the time, they pay with an EBT card).

It's not impossible to eat well for cheap, but it requires a certain amount of cooking knowledge that a lot of people don't have.

• Like 2
ScreamingTrees

I'm confused. Do the rich folk have specialized stores with extremely expensive, healthy and pure products that us poor folk can only window shop at? Do the poor masses only have the options of stores with low priced industrialized poison? I'm confused.

On average, of course the richer you are the healthier your diet may be, should you choose to buy healthy foods instead of alcohol and sugary crap and other vices.. But if you're relatively poor, you couldn't afford enough food to be in great health? I don't buy that. There are plenty of healthy foods that are very cheap, that you can buy 10 for 10$ at your local grocery store. Canned fish, greek yogurt, veggies.. You don't need to be a millionaire to afford this ****, just stop buying the junk food that isn't doing anything good for your body.

If the issue is that these foods are not as healthy as they seem, and wealthier people are exposed to truly healthy, purer products by animals that are grass fed with the highest quality grain untouched by pollution and whatnot, well, fine, you got me there..

But I think in many cases it's a load of bull****, people make excuses for themselves because they'd rather eat the crap that *tastes* good rather than the crap that actually IS good..

• Like 1
So the government having a say in what foods they provide is ridiculous?

Not having a say, but controlling everything. Go ahead, let them take away everything kids will like to eat. The school lunch program will go bye bye.

What about the findings that the foods they fight to keep help to contribute to our nation's growing obesity and diabetes problem?

What about it? Its not the government's business what people want to eat.

I personally don't eat crap. But if I want to have a 32 oz coke once in a while, its not anyone's business but mine.

• Like 1
amaysngrace
Not having a say, but controlling everything. Go ahead, let them take away everything kids will like to eat. The school lunch program will go bye bye.

For one, some people can't afford to pack lunch for their children. Some teachers even bring food to poor families during the summer because they know they are THAT poor and worry about them.

But you'd rather them go hungry I guess. And you asked me "why" on another thread and this could be why some people dislike the Republican Party and their thinking.

The meanest people in our country seem to be them.

On average, of course the richer you are the healthier your diet may be, should you choose to buy healthy foods instead of alcohol and sugary crap and other vices.. But if you're relatively poor, you couldn't afford enough food to be in great health? I don't buy that. There are plenty of healthy foods that are very cheap, that you can buy 10 for 10$ at your local grocery store. Canned fish, greek yogurt, veggies.. You don't need to be a millionaire to afford this ****, just stop buying the junk food that isn't doing anything good for your body.

That would imply people who is on the lower-end of the income bracket has the necessary basic tools to cook these healthy items.

We don't. The education system is THAT terrible. When I went to economics class, the only thing I learned was how to make brownies and I forgot how to do that not long after I was done with that class.

To make things worst, the parents don't care much to teach this themselves because they don't cook or eat that stuff either. So the only way it is possible for a person in that lifestyle to do this themselves is strictly off of their own desire to do so and it's hard for that to happen when this stuff is literally new to you and you don't have the first clue how to even do that.

Right now, what can I cook over the stove without help? Ramen noodles and oatmeal. That's it. I don't know how to make a grilled cheese sandwich, scrambled eggs, pancakes, spaghetti, or anything of that nature. Just those 2 items.

And you are expecting me to eat healthy? That would only happen once I blow up the stove a couple times due to inexperience and I can't afford to let that happen even once.

Right now, what can I cook over the stove without help? Ramen noodles and oatmeal. That's it. I don't know how to make a grilled cheese sandwich, scrambled eggs, pancakes, spaghetti, or anything of that nature. Just those 2 items.

And you are expecting me to eat healthy? That would only happen once I blow up the stove a couple times due to inexperience and I can't afford to let that happen even once.

Since you're posting on LoveShack and therefore presumably have access to the internet, I recommend using Google...

You might be able to use it to find out how to do a many multitude of things for yourself that you couldn't before.

If this concept is wildly unfamiliar to you, I'd be happy to explain further. ;)

• Like 5
amaysngrace
That would imply people who is on the lower-end of the income bracket has the necessary basic tools to cook these healthy items.

We don't. The education system is THAT terrible. When I went to economics class, the only thing I learned was how to make brownies and I forgot how to do that not long after I was done with that class.

To make things worst, the parents don't care much to teach this themselves because they don't cook or eat that stuff either. So the only way it is possible for a person in that lifestyle to do this themselves is strictly off of their own desire to do so and it's hard for that to happen when this stuff is literally new to you and you don't have the first clue how to even do that.

That's a lame excuse if I ever heard one. You're on the Internet now.

Instead of using it to complain about your lack of cooking skills you can utilize the Internet to google and learn.

• Like 3