America has a problem. How much bigger will we get?

amaysngrace
Since you're posting on LoveShack and therefore presumably have access to the internet, I recommend using Google...

You might be able to use it to find out how to do a many multitude of things for yourself that you couldn't before.

If this concept is wildly unfamiliar to you, I'd be happy to explain further. ;)

We both posted the very same thought at the very same time! :)

fortyninethousand322

Scrambled eggs?! Are you kidding me?

Break some eggs open. Pour some milk or half and half in a bowl with the eggs. Stir. Put eggs on a pan over some kind of fire. Cook until brown.

The end...

• Like 1
That's a lame excuse if I ever heard one. You're on the Internet now.

Instead of using it to complain about your lack of cooking skills you can utilize the Internet to google and learn.

I got no problem with that but then again, I'm not fond of heat or fire.

I also don't eat half of the veggies out there. The only ones that I would eat in any capacity is green beans and corn. Perhaps raw carrots.

I refuse to each green peas. No one can ever convince me to even touch them.

And no, I'm not complaining. I just rather find another way to lose weight than to eat veggies.

Break some eggs open. Pour some milk or half and half in a bowl with the eggs. Stir. Put eggs on a pan over some kind of fire. Cook until brown.

The end...

Dude, you are talking to someone who doesn't know how to properly tie his own shoes or know how to ride a bike. When you consider this, learning how to make scrambled eggs is the least of my concerns.

fortyninethousand322
Dude, you are talking to someone who doesn't know how to properly tie his own shoes or know how to ride a bike. When you consider this, learning how to make scrambled eggs is the least of my concerns.

I don't either. I still do the rabbit ears when I tie my shoes. I didn't know how to ride a bike until I was 13 or 14. Earlier than you, but far later than my peers.

Anyway, meat and fire are the easier food combinations in the world. It's in your genetic makeup to know how to make food like that.

Anyway, meat and fire are the easier food combinations in the world. It's in your genetic makeup to know how to make food like that.

I can't even break apart already cooked-up chicken that has recently been out of the oven with my bare hands without assistance.

So I doubt I have much heat tolerance. This is why I'm not so quick to go anywhere near a stove. Screw up once and I will be cooked. I did almost create a stove fire once a few months ago.

Not to mention if I screw it up (which I will), it's wasted food. I'm not exactly in a position to afford that to happen. That is how poor I really am.

Trying new things out is all nice and gravy but if it has a cost to it, I'm not so quickly to just dive in. As a result, I just don't eat a lot. I just drink a lot of water and Gatorade, keep walking as much as I can each day, and eat once a day, if that.

I'm not saying I have a valid excuse for it (which I know I don't) but these are my reasons. It's a whole new world for me once I find work again.

amaysngrace
I can't even break apart already cooked-up chicken that has recently been out of the oven with my bare hands without assistance.

So I doubt I have much heat tolerance. This is why I'm not so quick to go anywhere near a stove. Screw up once and I will be cooked. I did almost create a stove fire once a few months ago.

Not to mention if I screw it up (which I will), it's wasted food. I'm not exactly in a position to afford that to happen. That is how poor I really am.

Trying new things out is all nice and gravy but if it has a cost to it, I'm not so quickly to just dive in. As a result, I just don't eat a lot. I just drink a lot of water and Gatorade, keep walking as much as I can each day, and eat once a day, if that.

I'm not saying I have a valid excuse for it (which I know I don't) but these are my reasons. It's a whole new world for me once I find work again.

Why are you so afraid of a stove? Were you punished that way as a child or something? Or do you have to light the burners with a match because the ignitions don't work?

Never use water to put out a grease fire. Use baking soda.

fortyninethousand322

Nix the Gatorade. The corn syrup in it is horrible for you. Like "might cause cancer" horrible.

Why are you so afraid of a stove? Were you punished that way as a child or something? Or do you have to light the burners with a match because the ignitions don't work?

Never use water to put out a grease fire. Use baking soda.

I never was trained to use a stove. I also have very low pain tolerance. While I can play football, there is only so many hard hits I can take before I bow out. My body (or my way of thinking) is just not as "manly" as the average man. When compared to my peers, I'm considered a wimp and/or a coward.

Just this morning, I tried to break up a piece of fried chicken with my bare hands that was microwaved for a minute. I couldn't do it. I felt pain multiple times while it is of no issue to my mother. I also can't take a blood drawing with just a baby needle without flinching.

amaysngrace
Nix the Gatorade. The corn syrup in it is horrible for you. Like "might cause cancer" horrible.

Gatorade switched back to sugar like a lot of major brands have.

You didn't get the memo? :confused:

And to think I thought Gatorade was healthy. I wouldn't be surprised if that's part of the reason why I can't shred some of this weight despite walking 8-10 miles 2-3 days out of a week.

fortyninethousand322
Gatorade switched back to sugar like a lot of major brands have.

You didn't get the memo? :confused:

Even sugar isn't good for you if you have too much. I guess it's been a while since I picked up a Gatorade to look at the ingredients. :o:laugh:

Always better to stick with ice cold water.

amaysngrace
And to think I thought Gatorade was healthy. I wouldn't be surprised if that's part of the reason why I can't shred some of this weight despite walking 8-10 miles 2-3 days out of a week.

A healthier alternative is revive flavored vitamin water. Less sugar, less sodium, and it has electrolytes.

It's good for people who prefer a flavored beverage to just drinking straight water.

amaysngrace

Always better to stick with ice cold water.

I agree but some people would prefer flavor and getting fluids is important so it's good to have choices.

Wow, a few comments I would love to make.

1. Poor people are not unaware of the difference between healthier diet and poor diet. "Poor" people buy what is most accessible and within their budget.

Given the FACT that the middle class and upper class are also open to eating poorly, it really has less to do with knowledge than other society norms/culture.

2. What do YOU mean by "regular" stores? Don't mean to offend, but if your idea is anywhere in the ballpark of thinking that going to Whole Food, etc. equates to healthy, well, you'd be surprised. Just asking... I see overweight people shopping in those types of places too.

Alas, economics and access plays a huge part.

I can't wait until I get into the meat of my research this summer. It's going to be fascinating.

A regular grocery store is a chain. I don't shop at Whole Foods, it's too expensive. I'm poor!!!! I mainly shop at a co-op tbh cause its close and cheap.

And sorry but apples will be like 99c a lb, rice is cheap as hell, beans, so on and so forth, all found at very regular grocery stores.

My issue isn't with "poor" people at all, if you wanna talk "uneducated" that goes across ALL walks of life. I think most people are just lazy though and want instant gratification--like a hamburger instead of rice and brocolli.

• Like 1

Don't you know milk is expensive? Boil an egg. All you need is water.

• Like 1
A healthier alternative is revive flavored vitamin water. Less sugar, less sodium, and it has electrolytes.

It's good for people who prefer a flavored beverage to just drinking straight water.

Vitamin water is too expensive. Drink iced tea. Generic brand tea bags are cheap. You can get better ones at Big Lots, but it's hit or miss. That's a great place to buy cheap canned and bottled food. I stock up.

Frozen veggies are cheaper than fresh. Buy those big bags on sale and just pour out what you need and keep the rest in the freezer.

Fat people should buy those portion plates if they have no idea how to eat properly.

fortyninethousand322

Indeed. Personally, I think soft boiled is better than hard boiled. But, everybody has preferences.

I've never used any milk or liquid to scramble eggs. Put them in a pan and move them around. Low heat and take them off when still a bit runny if you want them creamy, they will carry over cook and be done.

• Like 1
Sunshinegrl

I was watching a documentary about the food industry I found on Netflix last night.

A guy was talking about how scientists perform tests on obese mice. But mice aren't obese, so to get them obese, they feed them loads and loads of MSG.

"Everybody knows", he said, in the lab test world to feed test subjects MSG to make them fat. It's normal protocol.

And 80% of all packaged goods we eat are loaded with the stuff. And that's just one food additive.

All food labels are completely misleading. They also showed a box of Total cereal with blueberry and pomagranate.....the problem is, the cereal contained neither blueberries or pomegranites at all.

I've come to the realization myself that if I want to be healthy I have to grow my own food. Period. But I have to use Monsanto seed. God bless me!

A regular grocery store is a chain. I don't shop at Whole Foods, it's too expensive. I'm poor!!!! I mainly shop at a co-op tbh cause its close and cheap.

And sorry but apples will be like 99c a lb, rice is cheap as hell, beans, so on and so forth, all found at very regular grocery stores.

My issue isn't with "poor" people at all, if you wanna talk "uneducated" that goes across ALL walks of life. I think most people are just lazy though and want instant gratification--like a hamburger instead of rice and brocolli.

Apples at 99 cents I wish I haven't seen them under 1.29 in years.

I have been poor very poor. and I can tell you that for a family it is much cheaper to buy mac & Cheese. 80% lean hamburg hamburger helper than it is to buy fresh fruit, milk, 95% lean beef. etc....

My grocery bill is $250 every 2 weeks. With some fill in. I live in NE and I know the food here is a lot more expensive than say in the mid west. Good bread is $4.00 a loaf. Milk is almost $4 a gallon. eggs $2.49 a dozen. etc....

I know that when I lost the weight I made all my own soups, baked good most my meals etc.. Now anything that is processed I can taste it. I can even taste it in frozen pizza.

I wonder how many people on this thread have been poor. I am not talking college poor but you have no money no back up and no food. You eat at food kitchens and go to the food pantry. You go to bed hungry. etc..

I wonder how many people on this thread have been poor. I am not talking college poor but you have no money no back up and no food. You eat at food kitchens and go to the food pantry. You go to bed hungry. etc..

That's the kind of poor I'm experiencing right now. Been that way for quite some time, actually, with only a few breaks along the way.

I did go to a food pantry a few times last year. Fortunately, we didn't have to go back since despite we did run out of food very quickly after the grocery trip.

And going to bed hungry? I can do that if I get enough liquids in my system. Water, Gatorade, soda, whatever. Get enough of that in my system and I can basically skip any meal.

Years ago, that was actually necessary since there was nothing to eat at that time. I already spent my last 50 cents just to get a honey bun earlier in the day and I'm searching for coins off the street.

Yeah, the poor life. The only life I ever lived.

• Author
Yeah, but Emilia chooses to overlook that fact. Blatantly ignoring every study that there has ever been about the subject.

The poor eat poorly. I guess she's saying that being poor is a choice.

Discount supermarkets cost me WAY less than any dollar menu meal. Eating garbage is more expensive. Saying that it costs less than cheaper healthy food at the market is bullcrap. Maybe organic food is expensive, but regular discount market food isnt...especially if you clip coupons and look for sales.

People make too many excuses for the lazy. People eat poorly because of sloth and convenience.

Since you're posting on LoveShack and therefore presumably have access to the internet, I recommend using Google...

You might be able to use it to find out how to do a many multitude of things for yourself that you couldn't before.

If this concept is wildly unfamiliar to you, I'd be happy to explain further. ;)

THis.

I learned how to make scratch pancakes from googling it. Saved me money and filled me up. Instead of wasting money on pancake mix, all I needed was a big ole bad of flour, a tin of baking soda, and keep my regular stock of milk and eggs.

Apples at 99 cents I wish I haven't seen them under 1.29 in years.

I have been poor very poor. and I can tell you that for a family it is much cheaper to buy mac & Cheese. 80% lean hamburg hamburger helper than it is to buy fresh fruit, milk, 95% lean beef. etc....

My grocery bill is $250 every 2 weeks. With some fill in. I live in NE and I know the food here is a lot more expensive than say in the mid west. Good bread is $4.00 a loaf. Milk is almost $4 a gallon. eggs $2.49 a dozen. etc....

I know that when I lost the weight I made all my own soups, baked good most my meals etc.. Now anything that is processed I can taste it. I can even taste it in frozen pizza.

250 for how many people?

I can scrape by with 150 in a month, when on a cutting diet. On my bulking diet 225 works well.

Edited by kaylan
  • Like 2

A couple of decades back I worked in a children's home. Each week a member of staff would do the "main shop" at a supermarket. There was a loose sort of budget. Basically you weren't expected to go above £100 - though not much would be said if you did. You were given a list by the cook and you'd use your discretion regarding extras. £100 doesn't sound much for a household of 6 teens, but this was almost 20 years ago and fresh meat and some types of vegetables would be bought a couple of times during the week from the local butcher.

I found it very easy to get everything on the list plus extras. Treats, some non perishables, fruit and salad. I usually spent around £90. I always came back with stacks of food. There were two women - staff - both obese, one morbidly so, who would routinely spend way over budget - in the region of £140 - when they did the shop. They bought a lot of sh*te. Way too much ice cream, condensed milk, endless biscuits, chocolate. Their notion of healthy was those ridiculously expensive individual yoghurts with chocolate, muesli and other crap in a little bubble on the top. All of it destined to be hoovered up on a binge. More often theirs than the young people's though the latter got the blame. That kind of junk food always gets eaten quickly, because it' giving nothing nutritionally - so people eat more and more of it. Partly because of the addictive additives but also because their bodies are desperately trying to get nutrition

Not once did I hear anybody berate them for a) going way over budget, and b) buying a lot of crap that set a terrible example and didn't assist in our goal of promoting the children's welfare. However, I was routinely berated for buying too much fruit and salad and thereby forcing my "yuppie middle class values" on these children. I was quite young at the time and was basically applying the economising lessons I'd learned as a student. To me, as long as I was under budget and buying healthy food (as well as a few less healthy treats) then I was doing right by the children in our care.

The two fat members disagreed. I was already up against it with them because they were full of that "we were educated at the university of life - graduates have no common sense" bollocks that people like that are so dependent upon for their self esteem. In actual fact they had very little common sense as evidenced by their inability to stick to the food budget, make healthy choices and buy enough food to last a week. But, you couldn't tell them. They were filled with unshakeable confidence that they were right about everything. That their obesity was down to some freak of nature and that the shopping budget was unrealistically low (justifying their decision to go 40% over it most weeks they shopped).

I learned a lot about people doing that job, and also a lot about class and culture clashes. I saw with my own eyes that these people, who had the same budget and access to shopping facilities that I had, went way over budget and made such poor shopping choices that by the end of the week the cook was having to dip into the non perishables that I'd bought. She and I used to bitch endlessly about it, as did the cleaner. That was another type of class issue. They were both working class women, but old school. All about budgeting, making do "what are they bitching about you buying all that fruit for? Even if it starts going off you can still make a crumble with it for a lot less than you'd buy one for." They had very little in common with these two fat, lazy members of staff whose notion of self sufficiency and frugality was buying a microwaveable hamburger-in-a-bun from the supermarket instead of getting it hot from McDonalds.

I know that sounds mean and judgemental - but those two were about the most mean, judgemental and illogical people I've ever encountered. They made my life miserable, and made me actually question whether it was okay to try to ensure that these children in my care were following a healthy diet. The insight I got from working with them has stayed with me and leaves me a bit dubious about some of the "too poor to eat healthily" excuses I read on this board. I saw it with my own eyes. Spending 50% more than I did, at the same shop, with very little to show for it. Sneering or ranting if I dared to buy reduced items. Complaining about me inflicting "yuppie values" on the children because I bought a lot of fruit and salad. Staring at me with slack-jawed contempt when I suggested that we might create a vegetable patch in a small part of the very substantial grounds around the home.

Endless excuses and a near pathological distaste for anything that smacked remotely of self sufficiency or frugality. The heating in that place was always being turned up full blast. I'd turn it down and get ranted at. These were people who made a lot of noise about being tough and working class survivors, but my God...they didn't seem to be equipped for anything beyond sitting eating vast amounts of food in an overheated environment. I learned that if you try to make suggestions to people like that about how they could eat more cheaply and more healthily you'll get all that "inflicting middle class values, you don't know what it's like, silver spoon" etc. So you end up just shrugging and thinking "let them get on with it. Let them be poor, fat and unhealthy if they're too stubborn and preoccupied with inverted snobbery to be anything else."

Edited by Taramere
  • Like 6