Consolidated 'looks' discussion and society's standards of beauty for men vs women

JuneJulySeptember

But men don't need those extreme features to be attractive. That's simply false. Look at James Spader or Edward Norton, or the current "every-girl crush" Ryan Gosling.

What we've got here is men to be saying that women need make up to be attractive, and that we don't look good straight out of bed....wow. Sounds like you don't really like women's features.

I know my wife looks great when she gets out of bed and when she is off to work and when she gets dolled up to go out. She looks great no matter what.

• Like 4
I know my wife looks great when she gets out of bed and when she is off to work and when she gets dolled up to go out. She looks great no matter what.

I would expect no less from a heterosexual man, with an attractive wife!

Jaw and cheekbones are very important because they shape the facial contours of the face. But it must be noted that every feature on the face is important. Furthermore the attractiveness of each features correlates extremely well with each other. Attractive people have good cheekbones, jaw, mouth, nose, eyes everything. This is the same with average people and ugly people.

Furthermore as important as a strong jawline is, it should be stated that attractive people have more prominent upper faces than lower faces.

http://blu.stb.s-msn.com/i/FB/89D08866E3ADAAA5BE7ADE2FC7255A.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/KpI0O.jpg

At the very extreme end of lower facial prominence

http://i.imgur.com/3vySK.jpg

more than that and people start looking like chimps

http://www.radaronline.com/sites/radaronline.com/files/photos/image_20100707/RonnieInClub.jpg

The reason most people look bad with recessed lower faces is that they have weak foreheads. It's all about the relationship between the forehead and the lower face and the acuteness (not prominence) of the lower face. The ideal face has a very prominent upper face and a retrusive lower face with well-defined lips, a prominent chin, and a square lower jaw.

Basically the entire face has to be well developed while still maintaining good proportion in order to produce an attractive face.

You've done your homework, that's for sure.

Ok now this is bit too much on the other side. looks are often if not not always mentioned when describing a "perfect" male. Let's just be realistic.

I worded it a bit extreme I admit that. I didn't mean to say looks don't matter at all with men, but they don't matter in the way men think they do. Of course women want someone who we will feel attracted to, but that's so incredibly subjective with women there will never be a clear answer. The common answer seems to be tall, muscular, short dark hair, strong jaw. I have friends who hate muscles and would go for andogynous looking blonde guys any time. I know short guys who are attractive to me, I know guys with asymmetrical face who are attractive to me, I know bald guys who are attrative to me and I know guys with bad acne scars who are extremely attractive to me too. I dated guys my friends said were ugly and saw my friends dating guys about whom I thought the same. The thing is for each of us they were hot. Once there's chemistry and spark you will find someone beautiful even if before you wouldn't notice him. Most athletes, singers, actors etc. aren't so admired because of their face alone, but because their job or skills or status make them attractive. The physical ideal also kept changing during history both for men and women and for the most part men were the ones dictating it. From the beginning male strenght and healthy looking body used to be a prerequisite because it implied good reproductive potential and security, but later status and affluence took that part. Nowadays it's so varied that it hardly matters whether you fit some made up "ideal". Maybe it's just me being weird because I honestly think most men and women can be handsome/beautiful, at least to me. I will try not to generalize this view that much.

There's no need to get butthurt over the fact that humans are no different than other animals in the sense that women select who gets laid and who doesn't. Therefor there is much more evolutionary pressure on men to look aesthetically pleasing.

A woman needs to look her best to attract the best possible mate ( a mate is practically guaranteed ), meanwhile men need to put on a pony show to get a chance at procreation.

See peacocks and the human club scene for reference.

But the pony show needn't have anything to do with his looks. That's kind of the point of the whole thread.

If women don't have the looks, little else will compensate for that.

I wouldn't say that every girl or even most girls finds gosling or norton to be attractive. They're both decent looking in their own right but far from the top tier.

Doesn't matter if they are "top tier". They've got what it takes to set the panties on fire! It isn't all about facial structure.

That's....twisted. But means little, except that men are desperate for sex.

I agree that men's faces change more after puberty than women's. But I've always thought that is because children are so "pretty", and have more feminine features. Men need to change from that to look masculine.

where did I say only the top 1% of men are attractive?

I'm saying that those two men can arouse women as well as, or better than, that model with the ideal bone structure you posted.

ImperfectionisBeauty
Good looks don't make up for lack of personality either. Women constantly turn down hot guys who are lacking upstairs.

Not me!!! lol

• Like 2
Not me!!! lol

Liked for making me laugh :lmao:

--------------------------------

OP, I didn't get my confidence from my looks, and I am still getting better with women. Stop making excuses.

• Like 2
Who puts pressure on women to look good?

Why are men expected to know they look good (and don't need compliments) while women need them? Why are women allowed to be insecure?

Society does and that goes back hundreds and hundreds of years. Men were choosing us and in order for them to do that we had to be noticed. We were supposed to bear children and be kind of an accessory to the men in many ways. It goes on till today when women are being objectified still. We weren't judged on many other characteristics back then than being good looking and the status of our father. The first one we could do something about, the second obviously not.

Also we still need to look good for men to notice us today since not many girls are into doing the chasing. Physical appearance is much more prioritized by men when looking for a partner. There's millions of girls who are bullied and ridiculed for their looks and never had a boyfriend just as there are men. Men can very well compensate by other things, for women it's much harder and that's why they take rejection worse.

As for men not receiving compliments on their looks left and right, it's because we expect men to be stronger than us both physically and mentally and being worried about how one looks shows a superficial insecurity and undermines his masculinity so to speak. I'm not saying I won't reassure a man if he's having doubts, give him tips etc., say he looks cute when he has a new haircut or that he's hot when he dresses nicely, but I don't expect him to derive his self esteem from that. Your self worth must be deeper rooted than what someone thinks about your looks. You should be able to come to terms with who you are and what you look like and take confidence in it, otherwise how can a girl expect you to be able to deal with the bigger issues in life and provide her with a sense of security when you can't even accept yourself.

Women don't need compliments either, if they do then they're insecure too. It's just a societal tradition so they expect it since they usually put more effort into their appearance and it's considered one of their foremost characteristic for reasons above. They were made to be the prettier gender (even if I think both are equally attractive biologically), portrayed as such and it's been part of the seduction process to compliment her on her looks since that's what she was taught makes her attractive to men in the first place. And yes women get a waiver on insecurity most of the time because we are considered the weaker sex and whatnot. Though too much will obviously ruin their relationships anyway or not get them any in the first place.

Most women have breasts that resemble fried eggs or pancakes, whereas men who are in good shape have far more attractive upper bodies. I'm sure we've all seen the pictures of Hollywood actresses without makeup, usually hideous. Women aren't necessarily all that.

Personality, charm, game, they can and do make up for looks.

Though they do feel like something you were born with or not. Just like you can't choose to be handsome, a guy can't choose to be charismatic.

Though they do feel like something you were born with or not. Just like you can't choose to be handsome, a guy can't choose to be charismatic.

They might feel like it but they are not, it's all acquired characteristics. I've known most of my male friends for 14 years now since we were 12 and spent 8 years at school with them in the same class every day. I'm still shocked about the changes some of them went through, especially after graduating high school, the silent awkward ones are suddenly confident and successful, because they took responsibility for how they wanted their life to be like and not being determined by their past failures or the way they used to be perceived.

Stop hindering yourself and wasting some of the best years of your life getting absolutely crippled by focusing on getting a girl. Hardly anyone goes out every day thinking I'm gonna get me a girlfriend today. That won't make you any of the things you want to become. Yes charisma can be learned, but not from arguing on LS every day or playing video games (nothing against them as a fun past time but they will do absolutely nothing for your personal growth). You yourself admit your social maturity level is about ten years behind your actual age and yet no advice you get here seems to get through to you. I know you feel miserable about your current situation but something about it must make you feel comfortable and secure at the same time, otherwise you would have pushed yourself past it a long time ago. We all have the choice to keep being afraid and only take the actions we are comfortable with at the cost of staying miserable and lonely, or get out there and make some real change to live the life we want, because it won't come to us just like that.

I think in the media, they make it seem like men care about looks and looks only, and women will fall in love with a man no matter how hideous he may appear.

Thinking like that is what has gotten some men in here in trouble. Looks count for both sexes.

Admittedly, men put more of an importance on looks, and so women are bombarded in every magazine and commercial with how they're supposed to dress, smell, what make up to use, etc etc. But still though, a good looking guy is going to have an edge in dating. It's not like a good looking guy and an average or below average looking guy have the same pool of suitors to choose from.

todreaminblue
But women can be extremely attracted to an average looking man. Far more so, maybe, than men can be attracted to an average looking women.

The handful of men I've been animalistically attracted to were not the "hottest" men I've been attracted to. One was a bald, pasty professor, with wire-framed glasses. But his mind, his voice, his mannerisms, and the way he looked at me......swoon. I could barely breathe normally around him.

dont know if its animalistic because you arent really going on natural selection principles..whatever i ti s.I dont knwo what attracts me to some men.humble spirit self effacing, crinky eyes, ready smile, voice inflections, a certain tone, brings back feelings, deep seated likes and makes me look again i start seeing everything, hearing changes,i sit up and pay attention....smilin and think what was that, and my kamikaze heart beat skips along for a while, they are things i notice, and if they come in together with values i hold dear...im a goner....pathetic deb....hitting head on table.....

Colez,

what's your agenda? What's your purpose? What are you trying to educate us lowly LS folk on? Are you here to bestow ancient wisdom that has been lost and forgotten throughout the ages?

What is this message of such monumental importance that it requires you to bring it up in every single freakin thread in LS.

Actually, screw all that. I don't want to know any of that. What I really want to know is......how the **** do you have so many freakin links to pics and vids?

You're like the crazy old lady with the shopping cart, only instead of blankets and soda cans, you have a bunch of links.

• Like 3
todreaminblue
Colez,

what's your agenda? What's your purpose? What are you trying to educate us lowly LS folk on? Are you here to bestow ancient wisdom that has been lost and forgotten throughout the ages?

What is this message of such monumental importance that it requires you to bring it up in every single freakin thread in LS.

Actually, screw all that. I don't want to know any of that. What I really want to know is......how the **** do you have so many freakin links to pics and vids?

You're like the crazy old lady with the shopping cart, only instead of blankets and soda cans, you have a bunch of links.

mmmmmmm soda mint punch can i have a link to that...smilin

I'm curious - to the men who constantly complain about how much men are expected to do with their appearance and how women 'aren't expected to do much' by men: How much time do YOU spend on your appearance everyday?

I'm not going to argue about which gender trumps the other in terms of visual requirements. I AM going to say, though, that there are always going to be societal pressures and expectations about how both genders look and act, and both genders contribute to this. If you find the expectations of your own gender harsh and desire sympathy and understanding, you might wish to first extend sympathy and understanding towards the other, and consider how you could help make society a less judgmental place.

• Like 1

OP does make a good point. Plenty of guys, including myself, have times where we feel very insecure about our looks. And in these times we do the same things women do to improve them (clothing, gym, surgery...even though surgery is in smaller numbers). But the thing is that guys feel like we shouldnt speak up about these things.

Im still insecure about certain things regarding my appearance...but I just learn to deal with it and know I cant change everything about myself. And Ive accepted that Im no male model and that not every girl will like me. Sure I might not be whats considered empirically attractive to a large number of females, and sure I may at times be the antithesis of the guy you see plastered on billboards, tv, and magazines...but there are ladies who will like me.

Im sexy as is. *whatever shrug*

While physical attraction is important, I wouldn't go out with someone where there was no sexual chemistry, personality is huge in the long run. You do not want to be in a relationship with someone where it's purely looks and they have a rotten personality.

So because women are picker and need other traits to become attracted to men in their own league it means therye not superfical? lol what kinda logic is that?

That doesnt show that women are more forgiving on looks or less judgmental at all it just means once they relaized the hot guys not approaching them they figured out theyd have to settle for a certain levle man becasue of their own lack of great looks

So because women are picker and need other traits to become attracted to men in their own league it means therye not superfical? lol what kinda logic is that?

That doesnt show that women are more forgiving on looks or less judgmental at all it just means once they relaized the hot guys not approaching them they figured out theyd have to settle for a certain levle man becasue of their own lack of great looks

What you don't understands (because men typically aren't wired the same way) is that an average looking man with other traits can get a woman hotter than a "hot" guy without those traits. Visuals can trigger our lust, but no more so than other traits. Our brains are different.

You think we are "settling" with less physically attractive men. I'm saying that the man who gets me the most aroused is not necessarily the physically ideal man. Am I "settling" for a lesser attractive guy, if he turns me on more?

• Like 3