Consolidated 'looks' discussion and society's standards of beauty for men vs women

JuneJulySeptember

fortyninethousand322
Really depends on head/face, but in general, bald.

I've been told that I'd look like a younger version of Walt from breaking bad (Bryan Cranston) if I went bald. I don't know how accurate that is.

I've been told that I'd look like a younger version of Walt from breaking bad (Bryan Cranston) if I went bald. I don't know how accurate that is.

Without a pic, I have no freakin idea.

Balding

Bald

:laugh::laugh: Well chosen. Yes, I think those two pics pretty much answer the question. Bald, definitely.

How much would the Queen freak out if Prince William tried to shave his head?

Although now I wonder whether that would work for him. It depends a bit on the shape of one's skull, too, I think.

• Like 2
:laugh::laugh: Well chosen. Yes, I think those two pics pretty much answer the question. Bald, definitely.

How much would the Queen freak out if Prince William tried to shave his head?

Although now I wonder whether that would work for him. It depends a bit on the shape of one's skull, too, I think.

I think Big Willie can shave his head and make it work. The right style of facial hair can make the difference.

Her Royal Highness might get a heart attack, but that's probably a good thing for William :p

• Like 1

Yup. Own bald.

I fell in love with a guy (who didn't feel the same about me) and who really didn't deserve me (red flags). The first eight months, he was great, and he rose from a 5 to a 10. Now, especially after some of the stuff I heard him say over the last few months, he fell to a 1.

I generally don't go for 9s or 10s. I like men who are 7s or 8s. Yes, I want an attractive guy, but I must point out that they are 7s or 8s in *my* mind. I go for a certain phenotype (oh, yeah, breaking out the science here!).

We go for people with certain features, not because they look great to everyone, because those features tell a very important story: I am likely to have greater success procreating with this individual because we aren't too distant genetically, but we aren't too close. Biologically, there is a certain genetic middle ground for which each one of us is striving. Yes, hormonal birth control can negatively impact this, because it really is about more than looks.

Another important thing to consider is how you present yourself. I'm not interested in a guy with a tractor who is happy being a country-bumpkin, nor am I interested in a guy who flashes his abs on a dating site. Both will suffer the same fate with me.

Beyond my *type*, and I'm still trying to figure out what my physical type is, I go for a guy with a certain kindness and sense of humor. I like smart, but not overbearing. This does NOT describe everyone.

I've found a lot of guys online who had a perfect profile for a girl like me, but they never responded. I don't know if they're not paying for the service so they can't email, or if I'm just not their type. Someone told me I was a 9 today. Some of my friends and coworkers have told me I'm hot. This just tells me that some guys don't find me attractive while others *love* me. I've also noticed that some are very turned on by my intellect and interests, but it's hard to find those people.

I also use a freebie site. What I've noticed is that if the guy doesn't make the first move, whether it be by "winking," sending a message, or favoriting me, he's not interested. I will tell you that I'm turned off by guys who post photos of themselves looking like they're tough, while those with genuinely happy smiles tend to draw me in. I am also more likely to favor a less-attractive guy with more commonality over a more attractive guy with whom I don't have anything in common. Hair gel also grosses me out. I don't want greasy fingers after running them through his hair.

I think that those who are simply looking to get laid are going to be much more superficial, while those of us who are really looking for someone are going to be pickier, but we're also judging with more criteria.

• Like 1
Liked for making me laugh :lmao:

--------------------------------

OP, I didn't get my confidence from my looks, and I am still getting better with women. Stop making excuses.

If that avatar is really you, I'm not surprised you can get dates.

You look a hell of a lot better than me and more than 80% of the males I see every day.

If that avatar is really you, I'm not surprised you can get dates.

You look a hell of a lot better than me and more than 80% of the males I see every day.

Don't tell him that.

He thinks his looks don't help him at all....

Ruby Slippers
I still think she's had some work done. She looks considerably different than she did when she was younger.

Like most celebs, Megan Fox has had a lot of plastic surgery.

http://shechive.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/megan-fox-16.jpg?w=500&h=701

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/1959638_f260.jpg

http://plastic-surgery-costs.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/1301768673-18.jpg

man_in_the_box

The numbers system is a handy tool to assess your own physical appearance and that of people you don't know. It's nothing more than a flawed quantification of the degrees of physical attraction found within a specific gender. On microscale it is affected by personal preferenes but otherwise it gives you a quick indication of how much on the same level you are physically with someone. And because that's the only thing you can know without ever having met someone is likely why it is so immensely popular. There's always a huge tendency to quantify, rationalize, confine human sexuality because that's what humans like to do.

It's severly counterproductive to use the number system when you are already in a long-term relationship. Nothing good can come from it. Either you say your partner is a 10 and people will call you a liar or you say he/she is a 5 and you're called a shallow jerk/bitch. Doesn't matter if it's the truth or not, you always shoot yourself in the foot. In fact physical and emotional attraction for my partner has always fluctuated to larger or lesser degree during my relationship. It cannot be confined by a number as it's dynamic.

Don't tell him that.

He thinks his looks don't help him at all....

Yes, I guess I'm just too darn pretty aren't I? :lmao:

BetheButterfly
I've thought about this...wife and I always talk about how lucky we were to end up with each other, and pretty much against the odds. If they made a book or movie about us, it would play like one of those sappy, tear inducing, love stories about two people who love each other, but keep meeting at the wrong time, who eventually, after a lot of years, hurt and heartache, finally come together at the right time and fulfill their destiny.

Y'all should write a book together!!! Who knows? Maybe someday it'll be a movie? :bunny:

I think this is pertinent:

Ladies,

If given the choice between two males:

Male A:

Makes over $600,000 a year before taxes, around 6 feet tall, in great shape, average looking (6-7/10), highly educated (doctoral degree, graduate degrees), early 30s, great personality, no bad habits, no bad relationship history, no children, no debts, completely autonomous job/stable, worldly. Earning potential only increases over time.

and

Male B:

Makes $100,000 a year before taxes, around 5'10', in great shape, good looking (9/10), college degree (bachelors), early 30s, great personality, no bad habits, some relationship history, no children, some financial debts, business- so not stable, and not worldly. Earning potential has limited potential to no potential for increasing over time.

Which would you choose? And why? And would it matter if any of them was of a particular race/background? How would that affect your decision. Also, how do you think other women would choose in this situation? Please no hypotheticals. You have to pick one.

Ladies,

Male A:

Makes over $600,000 a year before taxes, around 6 feet tall, in great shape, average looking (6-7/10), highly educated (doctoral degree, graduate degrees), early 30s, great personality, no bad habits, no bad relationship history, no children, no debts, completely autonomous job/stable, worldly. Earning potential only increases over time.

and

Male B:

Makes $100,000 a year before taxes, around 5'10', in great shape, good looking (9/10), college degree (bachelors), early 30s, great personality, no bad habits, some relationship history, no children, some financial debts, business- so not stable, and not worldly. Earning potential has limited potential to no potential for increasing over time.

Which would you choose? And why? And would it matter if any of them was of a particular race/background? How would that affect your decision. Also, how do you think other women would choose in this situation? Please no hypotheticals. You have to pick one.

The only real difference between the two men you described is their money situation and a slight difference in looks.

I cannot tell which Id choose based off of your description, because money is not important to me. Its only important that a guy can hold down a job and not be in financial distress, meaning he can live with me and pay 50%, and he can afford to have kids with me. Someone who makes less than 100 thousand a year can do that with me so either guy would fit that description I provided.

There is only a slight difference in looks with these 2 men... and women (like me) often find 7's with a better personality more attractive than a 9 with less personality. I am attracted to guys that are 7's all the time, usually because of their personality.

You said both have no bad habits and a great personality...so both sound good to me because I place high importance on those things. If you went into more depth about their personality and character I could prob choose.

You prob think women who choose the first bc he makes more $

You prob think women who choose the first bc he makes more $

Well science says a bigger paycheck and more prestige in a career make a man look better to women.

Well science says a bigger paycheck and more prestige in a career make a man look better to women.

Agreed. In fact money and power have been found to trump all factors

• Like 1

Yeah I see what youre saying

I am much more interested in personality and character. I am financially independent and I am more concerned with how a man will treat me (not by taking me out, buying gifts, meaning how he talks to me and acts around me)

EDIT: I like black men. But I live in NYC and am exposed to diversity at its highest level on a daily basis

Ladies,

Male A:

and

Male B:

Meh. Which one is more fun and I connect with better? Which one is better in bed? And last but not least, which one has a bigger penis?;)

Eternal Sunshine

Ladies,

Male A:

and

Male B:

Neither. I would think that both are too good for me :laugh:

Meh. Which one is more fun and I connect with better? Which one is better in bed? And last but not least, which one has a bigger penis?;)

I agree, except I care less about the penis size.

And also--which one is in love with me? (both?! :laugh:)

charlietheginger

Many alphas get a hot girl drunk while banging her

He invites his less attractive guys in the bedroom "to run a train"

The hot girl really cant say much as she wants to make

The alpha male happy.