Employer calls on a Saturday morning to schedule a interview for Monday???

Did you not hear that I had a interview this past Thursday and another one on Wednesday? So please tell me what the hell you are talking about?

An interview is not an offer. A person who needs a job works as many options as they can. Notice the word "work". Finding a job is your job at the moment.

But But Employers are known for interviewing candidates when the position

1. Doesn't exist

2. Already filled

Isn't that the employer wasting someone's time?

Usually it's being scheduled for an interview and going to it to be told they hired someone else. Yes, it's very irritating and I don't see why it wouldn't be appropriate to call the day of and confirm your interview just to make sure no one else has been hired.

• Author
Because you presumably need a job more than they need to hire you.

Basic supply and demand. The market is not in your favor.

So just because the economy is WEAK I have to walk around with low confidence?

• Author
An interview is not an offer. A person who needs a job works as many options as they can. Notice the word "work". Finding a job is your job at the moment.

I'm not qualified for that job and only applied because I was willing to take a chance. Since then another opportunity came through which is something I;m 100% qualified for.

That job I was only 35% qualified

• Author
PhillyDude, seems to me that you have very flawed thinking and don't understand the difference between an interview and a job offer. You've had a second short interview for just one job and a first interview for another job scheduled for this week. None of these is a JOB OFFER. How many interviews have you had in the last 10-11 months since you've been unemployed? How many job offers resulting from those interviews? None, right? Many people go for scores of interviews without being offered a position. Why do you think your situation is so different and so special that you can turn down opportunities?

Likely none of these interviews this week will happen anyway once the storm hits. There's another excuse for you to slack off.

Why haven't been drug tested yet???

This guy is hilarious... too bad Jersy Shore ended, you sound like you'd fit right in.

• Like 1

High confidence and unemployed vs. realistic perspective and employed.

I know what I'd choose.

I'm not qualified for that job and only applied because I was willing to take a chance. Since then another opportunity came through which is something I;m 100% qualified for.

Are you hiring yourself?! Who cares how qualified you think you are, interviews aren't ALL about being qualified, it's about assimilating in the the already working, work environment.

You need a reality check..

You still live at home, don't you.. can't see you paying rent for the ten months. how old are you?!

You should be conveying that at a moments notice you are ready, willing and able to work. This means your hair has been cut, your suit has been cleaned, you have bus fare in hand, and an umbrella if needed.

If you were called on Monday at 4:58PM saying you're hired, you should be able to report to work the next morning. You've had 10 months to prepare for a new job.

• Author
Are you hiring yourself?! Who cares how qualified you think you are, interviews aren't ALL about being qualified, it's about assimilating in the the already working, work environment.

You need a reality check..

You still live at home, don't you.. can't see you paying rent for the ten months. how old are you?!

No I don't live at home, I tried to see can I get out of my lease but the rental office told me I can't do it.

So I have to make sure I find a new cash flow so I can pay the bills

• Author
You should be conveying that at a moments notice you are ready, willing and able to work. This means your hair has been cut, your suit has been cleaned, you have bus fare in hand, and an umbrella if needed.

If you were called on Monday at 4:58PM saying you're hired, you should be able to report to work the next morning. You've had 10 months to prepare for a new job.

Sounds like I couldn't go to the interview tomorrow anyway because the mayor just announced the city is SHUTTING DOWN tomorrow due to the Hurricane

No I don't live at home, I tried to see can I get out of my lease but the rental office told me I can't do it.

So go to the interview regardless. Yes it sucks, and employers have all the power and can jerk you around, but you've gotta do what you've gotta do.

• Author
So go to the interview regardless. Yes it sucks, and employers have all the power and can jerk you around, but you've gotta do what you've gotta do.

There is no interview, the mayor just shutdown the city for Monday

An interview is an opportunity at a job just as a lottery ticket is an opportunity at being a millionaire, meaning your chances are stupidly lower than you think they are. You place percentages on your qualifications like you best know the actual day-to-day operations of that job, even over the employer. I would argue that no one is 100% qualified for any job before actually starting and completing a few paychecks worth of experience.

You can honestly use this to your advantage, call them back and ask to set up an interview date later in the week.

Then you should probably take every job lead as if it's the only one, even after the job offer, until you show up on your first day. I've gotten a job offer rescinded for a friggin' parking ticket.

by doing what you're doing, you're burning bridges you don't even know if you need or not-which not the most analytical approach

• Author
An interview is an opportunity at a job just as a lottery ticket is an opportunity at being a millionaire, meaning your chances are stupidly lower than you think they are. You place percentages on your qualifications like you best know the actual day-to-day operations of that job, even over the employer. I would argue that no one is 100% qualified for any job before actually starting and completing a few paychecks worth of experience.

You can honestly use this to your advantage, call them back and ask to set up an interview date later in the week.

Why would I accept a job I have no experience in and can't do it?

• Author
Then you should probably take every job lead as if it's the only one, even after the job offer, until you show up on your first day. I've gotten a job offer rescinded for a friggin' parking ticket.

by doing what you're doing, you're burning bridges you don't even know if you need or not-which not the most analytical approach

My focus is on wednesday right now while the other company does the reference checks

How can you accept or decline a job when there hasn't been an offer made?

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure you should accept it because they'll pay you... and then you have another plus of learning something new. :bunny:

• Author
How can you accept or decline a job when there hasn't been an offer made?

Because i don't want to waste their time.

• Author
I'm pretty sure you should accept it because they'll pay you... and then you have another plus of learning something new. :bunny:

Most companies don't have to train and want you to hit the ground running

But But Employers are known for interviewing candidates when the position

1. Doesn't exist

2. Already filled

Isn't that the employer wasting someone's time?

Employers often make mistakes or have policies that protect them from liability but that force them to interview more people than necessary. They are generally extremely busy people, so it's not likely they are just goofing around scheduling interviews for the hell of it.

But assuming that you're right that they sometimes deliberately waste people's time, what does that have to do with how you choose to behave? Do you always adopt the standards of other people? What kind of person do you want to be?

Here's a better version of my reply. Ignore the previous one, if you can.

Employers often make mistakes, don't communicate well amongst internal groups, or have policies that protect them from liability but that force them to interview more people than necessary. They are generally extremely busy people, so it's not likely they are just goofing around scheduling interviews for the hell of it.

But you should still treat them the way you would want to be treated. That seems to always be a good policy. People, even jerks, notice when you are fair with them, even though they might not be fair with you at first. They'll feel like they should shape up either for you or maybe for the next guys

All of the advice given to you, can still be applied after the storm passes.If a company calls you at 4:58PM on any given day of the to tell you you've been hired, you should be ready to report to work the next morning.

What happens when you don't get the job you have a second interview for?

I really don't care what % of qualified you are but it isn't a job offer. Why can't you understand that you should be open to every interview you are given? You have been unemployed for 10 months - when you do say enough is enough? -- looking for what you deserve is one thing but you are just being picky.

What is so hard to get? I really don't know how a man in their 30s can't grasp this concept.

You think people don't want better jobs. I am on my forth job this year - not because I got fired but because I take the time to find better jobs while being employed and in school full time , yes I had to take some crappy jobs inbetween but such is life.

• Like 2