Employer calls on a Saturday morning to schedule a interview for Monday???

You should feel proud that you were even considered for an interview and probably received call before others since they called you on a Saturday. Yet, for some reason you can't grasp that concept. Some how it is insulting to you - since your life is so "important". You are unemployed and you should be waiting by the phone 24/7. I really hate that UIB is provided to some people, jeez.

I see Employers feel they can call and schedule whenever they want since they have bought into the "POOR ECONOMY". I feel it was extremely stupid for someone to contact me on saturday to schedule a interview when they could have called on Friday or just waited until Monday.

Why is it you are so difficult to please? I can't believe you'd make another thread about something like this. Your attitude is probably making it very difficult to get a job. It seems like anything a potential employer does you find some issue with it.

• Like 2
I see Employers feel they can call and schedule whenever they want since they have bought into the "POOR ECONOMY".

And they can, because others are so grateful for that Saturday phone call that they show up Monday morning, ready to impress!

There are a lot of unemployed people out there, and calling on a Sat might be a good strategy to see who is truly serious about working (possibly even working Saturdays! Gasp!).

Not "buying into" the "poor economy" is an interesting strategy for an unemployed person. How's that working for you?

I see Employers feel they can call and schedule whenever they want since they have bought into the "POOR ECONOMY". I feel it was extremely stupid for someone to contact me on saturday to schedule a interview when they could have called on Friday or just waited until Monday.

What if I planned on leaving town this weekend and wasn't schedule to arrive back in town until Sunday Night?

Atleast when I received a call in the past on a saturday the interview was scheduled for the following wednesday. Of course I had no interest and deleted the message.

wow.. don't know what your deal is, but most people don't berate opportunity when it knocks... even on a Saturday, oh my god!! :o

What if I planned on leaving town this weekend and wasn't schedule to arrive back in town until Sunday Night?

Atleast when I received a call in the past on a saturday the interview was scheduled for the following wednesday. Of course I had no interest and deleted the message.

Perhaps you should list your "contact rules" at the bottom of your resume. IE. I only accept calls for job interviews between 10AM- 5PM, Mon- Fri. Messages left after 4PM, will returned the following day, at my leisure. Although I let all calls go to voice mail, your company name must appear on my Caller I.D. I do not expect to be disturbed during bank holidays, Arbor Day, or Ground Hog Day. Don't bother contacting me if the position is not located within a five mile radius of my apartment. If you can't leave a detailed message explaining pay rate, reason the position has become available, and how soon the job must be filled, don't bother calling. I also require a lead time of five to seven business days between my hiring date and start date. Not that this is any of your business, but I need time to schedule a hair cut, shop for clothing, get my lucky suit dry cleaned, and take time to think about returning to work. If you can agree to all of the requirements list above, I look forward to hearing from you.

• Like 8

Why the outrage over this? This individual wasn't forcing you to come in. They left a message with a suggestion and you would either acknowledge and agree or counter offer with another date.

As a hiring manager, yes sometimes we will call on Saturdays. Our industry doesn't shut down on the weekend so our hiring can take place then. We have many candidates as well that the weekend is the best time to do phone interviews, etc. That way they are focusing on their job Monday through Friday and can talk to us on the weekend. We like to see hard working, congenial, willing candidates.

And since this was a job that you didn't show much interest in either, why is it even a big deal? You weren't going to follow up so who cares. At least that a job you didn't think you were a good fit for saw something in your resume to continue to pursue you. That is a good sign, not a negative.

One last point, I would call and decline, you don't want to burn any bridges and while you aren't interested you never know what the future will hold. This is all part of networking. For us, we look at all candidates, if not future employees of ours, definitely future customers.

• Author
People acted like I was in the wrong for my interview to be set at one exact time and allow for no changes. That's something, this isn't.

You can't say "What if I wasn't around?!" I mean you've already said you needed a week for a haircut, I mean come on man.

You can only take so much time to "get ready" dude. If you don't want to work, that's fine but don't say you do and then say it's unreasonable to have a few day's notice. If they called the same day it'd be cutting it close, but if you were free why not?

I don't need to go because I only applied out of desperation. Since applying I received another invitation to a job interview which is on Wednesday. In addition to that, the job I want will be in the reference checking process on Monday and Tuesday.

So I only applied because I was getting scared and was like..."what the hell" but I don't have to go now because another interview came through for a job that I;m a 100% qualified for. That particular job I was only 35% qualified for the position.

• Author
Why the outrage over this? This individual wasn't forcing you to come in. They left a message with a suggestion and you would either acknowledge and agree or counter offer with another date.

As a hiring manager, yes sometimes we will call on Saturdays. Our industry doesn't shut down on the weekend so our hiring can take place then. We have many candidates as well that the weekend is the best time to do phone interviews, etc. That way they are focusing on their job Monday through Friday and can talk to us on the weekend. We like to see hard working, congenial, willing candidates.

And since this was a job that you didn't show much interest in either, why is it even a big deal? You weren't going to follow up so who cares. At least that a job you didn't think you were a good fit for saw something in your resume to continue to pursue you. That is a good sign, not a negative.

Well it does let me know that my resume is still attractive after being unemployed for 10 months. So I can take that from the call

• Author
One last point, I would call and decline, you don't want to burn any bridges and while you aren't interested you never know what the future will hold. This is all part of networking. For us, we look at all candidates, if not future employees of ours, definitely future customers.

I doubt very seriously if they will remember me applying and not responding to a interview invitation with all the resumes they probably received. They will just move on to the next person.

I doubt very seriously if they will remember me applying and not responding to a interview invitation with all the resumes they probably received. They will just move on to the next person.

Yeah, there's this thing, it's called "courtesy." Try living with a bit more respect and humility, you've been out of work for 10 months. arrogant as F***. crumb.

• Like 3

You are assuming. Don't assume. You calling and thanking them for the offer will make you stand out and will have a "pin" in you for future needs. Don't underestimate a congenial personality and appreciation for another party's interest in you.

Job searching/recruiting is a lot like dating. Just because you two aren't a match doesn't mean it has to end of bad terms.

There may have been something in your resume that they really liked and would like to look at you for the future. Who knows, they may keep calling you in the future with new positions. What a lovely spot to have companies/recruiters coming after you instead of the other way around.

• Author
Yeah, there's this thing, it's called "courtesy." Try living with a bit more respect and humility, you've been out of work for 10 months. arrogant as F***. crumb.

Employers fall off the face of the earth all the time so why can't I do the same if I;m not interested?

• Author
You are assuming. Don't assume. You calling and thanking them for the offer will make you stand out and will have a "pin" in you for future needs. Don't underestimate a congenial personality and appreciation for another party's interest in you.

Job searching/recruiting is a lot like dating. Just because you two aren't a match doesn't mean it has to end of bad terms.

There may have been something in your resume that they really liked and would like to look at you for the future. Who knows, they may keep calling you in the future with new positions. What a lovely spot to have companies/recruiters coming after you instead of the other way around.

i thought about going to the interview for practice before my real interview on Wednesday but of course HURRICANE SANDY changed all of that

Employers fall off the face of the earth all the time so why can't I do the same if I;m not interested?

Do you want to emulate the behavior that you don't like or do you want to set the example for the appropriate behavior? Just because the exhibit poor behavior doesn't mean you need to.

At the very least, send an email. Very easy, very simple, but it let's them know you appreciate their interest.

• Like 1
i thought about going to the interview for practice before my real interview on Wednesday but of course HURRICANE SANDY changed all of that

Okay . . . ? But that is for your self interest and does nothing for them. Let's say you went and the loved you, what then? Just like in dating, why continue to lead someone one if you aren't interested? I am not saying the practice is bad but it doesn't change the advice given you on how to close things out with them.

• Author
Okay . . . ? But that is for your self interest and does nothing for them. Let's say you went and the loved you, what then? Just like in dating, why continue to lead someone one if you aren't interested? I am not saying the practice is bad but it doesn't change the advice given you on how to close things out with them.

If they make another attempt to reach out to me after today then I will decline. How do you suggest I do that?

I have only done this when offered another job.

I wouldn't do that. I don't appreciate it when people waste my time, so I try not to waste theirs.

If they make another attempt to reach out to me after today then I will decline. How do you suggest I do that?

I have only done this when offered another job.

You have the lady's number right? Call it. Or if you have her email address, send her an email that you really appreciate her interest in you, but due to other offers/unfortunately you are no longer in a position to interview, you will need to decline. But you like the company, (put in a few selling points about yourself) and say you would love to contact them in the future for any future opportunities.

I think you shouldn't wait for them to reach out today as it will really make you stand out. Just network. :)

• Author
I wouldn't do that. I don't appreciate it when people waste my time, so I try not to waste theirs.

But But Employers are known for interviewing candidates when the position

1. Doesn't exist

2. Already filled

Isn't that the employer wasting someone's time?

• Author
You have the lady's number right? Call it. Or if you have her email address, send her an email that you really appreciate her interest in you, but due to other offers/unfortunately you are no longer in a position to interview, you will need to decline. But you like the company, (put in a few selling points about yourself) and say you would love to contact them in the future for any future opportunities.

I think you shouldn't wait for them to reach out today as it will really make you stand out. Just network. :)

I said if they reach out tomorrow, today is a rainy sunday and I wanna believe that everyone who works for that company is home.

If you are not ready, willing, and able to respond to a job prospect, you shouldn't be collecting unemployment payments. You should be actively pursuing work until you have been hired for a job.

• Like 2
I said if they reach out tomorrow, today is a rainy sunday and I wanna believe that everyone who works for that company is home.

The company has already reached out to you, it is your turn to respond. What you "wanna believe" is often different from the truth,

• Author
If you are not ready, willing, and able to respond to a job prospect, you shouldn't be collecting unemployment payments. You should be actively pursuing work until you have been hired for a job.

Did you not hear that I had a interview this past Thursday and another one on Wednesday? So please tell me what the hell you are talking about?

Because you presumably need a job more than they need to hire you.

Basic supply and demand. The market is not in your favor.